closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Patek Releases

Master

New Patek Releases

On their website now. Green dial 5711.

https://www.patek.com/en/home

I’m calling it first this will be £100k at grey dealers...The watch world has gone bonkers

Not the biggest of fans, the olive green is a nice shade but I prefer the blue dial personally.

Will the last year of the 5711 have the green dial then thats it OR will this be the 5711 for the next 5-10 years? Only time will tell.
    Last edited by paneristi372; 7th April 2021 at 07:57.

Horrible looking but no doubt a money maker for those lucky enough to get one. 1 year only?

The green isn’t bad at all. But for me the rose gold 5990 is pretty epic!

Craftsman
    I'm a massive fan of dark green and would seriously love to get my hands onto this, but knowing the score, it's nigh on impossible :(.

A price increase for them aswell, up to 26k

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Yes that 5990 looks fantastic. And cheap too :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Yes that 5990 looks fantastic. And cheap too :-)
    Twice the price over the standard steel is about right. Heck compared to the cost of a Greubel Forsey bracelet, sounds more than reasonable....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    This feels like one last hurrah for the 5711, maybe for those on the waiting list for the blue but were cut off from sudden discontinuation. Probably reinforces the desirability of the blue if anything.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Allows a little price price now and then another price rise when the new model is released end of year/early next year.

How much extra is the new green one?

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    This feels like one last hurrah for the 5711, maybe for those on the waiting list for the blue but were cut off from sudden discontinuation. Probably reinforces the desirability of the blue if anything.

Green looks better imo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    I'm a massive fan of dark green and would seriously love to get my hands onto this, but knowing the score, it's nigh on impossible :(.

A price increase for them aswell, up to 26k
    I’m a fan of dark green too, but this isn’t. Olive, it’s often said, is an acquired taste.

Edit - having looked at Patek.com, it does perhaps look a bit darker than on some other sites. In fact, I might just call it ROLEX green.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 7th April 2021 at 09:27.

Journeyman
    For me, the 5990R is the star of the show. If only!

I wonder if they will bring any other Calatrava/ complications out as well?

Craftsman
    An easy no for me: I hate the shape of the case, neither round nor hexagonal. The border of the case is very wide, for no apparent reason. I don't like crown guards. And what is that ugly protrusion on the other side of the case - is that purely cosmetic to balance out the crown guards?

Patek are calling it olive, rather than green. Looks ok but the blue is still the one to have.

Overall quite depressing as my miniscule chances of getting an Aquanaut just got even more miniscule.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Patek are calling it olive, rather than green. Looks ok but the blue is still the one to have.

Overall quite depressing as my miniscule chances of getting an Aquanaut just got even more miniscule.
    I would not get yourself depressed. I passed through Vienna a couple of years ago, walked into a PP AD and spent 30 minutes seriously intending to buy a 5205. I was wearing a 16710 Rolex GMT11 and was constantly making mental comparisons between the Rolex and whatever PP model I was handling.

The PPs are truly a beautifully crafted watch and the finish is just out of this world but the conclusion I quickly came to is that they are suited mainly to the soft world of the office and worn under the protection of a shirt cuff.

The Rolex models are mainly much more bash proof, more water resistant and just more practical.

The PP is a much more gentlemanly watch compared to the somewhat loud Rolex, but in overall summation, I prefer a Rolex.

I walked out of the shop empty handed.

Is that you admitting the 5990 is cool? :P

Another easy no. When I bought my first Patek I had a choice between the 5167 and the 5711. Both felt equally flimsy and far removed from what a sports watch should be so I went with the 5167 because it was cheaper. It didn’t last long because prices went crazy and it was an easy choice to trade it in for a complicated. Honestly can’t believe how these have taken off, better watches can be had at a fraction of the price, even at retail!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    An easy no for me: I hate the shape of the case, neither round nor hexagonal. The border of the case is very wide, for no apparent reason. I don't like crown guards. And what is that ugly protrusion on the other side of the case - is that purely cosmetic to balance out the crown guards?
    The bezel is wide because when Genta designed it he had a porthole in mind. Its an octagon.
    The "ear" on the side is a hinge/closure which again mimics a porthole. If those features were removed from it then it would be nothing of the original design :-(

I love the baguette bezel variant and the olive standard, but I prefer the smokey dial of the earlier 5990 over the blue by a long shot, plus steel is still a win.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The "ear" on the side is a hinge/closure which again mimics a porthole. If those features were removed from it then it would be nothing of the original design :-(
    Always wondered about that ear. Does the back hinge and what's behind the it, a normal caseback?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The PPs are truly a beautifully crafted watch and the finish is just out of this world but the conclusion I quickly came to is that they are suited mainly to the soft world of the office and worn under the protection of a shirt cuff.
    I agree with what you say, but rightly or wrongly I am getting the itch for something special which is in a different league from what I have already and it wouldn't be worn daily.

The plan was always an Aquanaut which I went on the list for a few years ago but now I'm considering an AP RO or something WG from Rolex. I have some time to figure it out but I think the demand for Nautilus has gone nowhere and a lot will be seeping into different models and/or brands hence people paying 3x retail for an LVc and 2x retail for a BLRO let alone what people are allegedly paying for Platinum Daytonas.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Always wondered about that ear. Does the back hinge and what's behind the it, a normal caseback?
    No, its designed to look like a porthole hinge, it holds the screws which clamp the gasket/case/bezel.
    It doesn't actually open/close like a book but its meant to give that illusion, if that makes sense.
    Sorry should've been specific!

Craftsman
    The bezel is wide because when Genta designed it he had a porthole in mind. Its an octagon.
    Thanks for the info, I never would have guessed that it was meant to be a porthole; at that price, I think this mimicry just makes it even more pretentious and unnecessary.

No, its designed to look like a porthole hinge, it holds the screws which clamp the gasket/case/bezel.
    It doesn't actually open/close like a book but its meant to give that illusion, if that makes sense.
    Sorry should've been specific!
    I see, thanks!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Allows a little price price now and then another price rise when the new model is released end of year/early next year.

How much extra is the new green one?
    I think the retail price on these is largely irrelevant given how they are allocated. I though the strategy was for Patek to move away from the hype of steel nautilus as they want to focus back on precious metal and other model lines, or that was the rumour going around anyway. Hence why I think this is more a goodbye piece. But who knows, pure speculation

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info, I never would have guessed that it was meant to be a porthole; at that price, I think this mimicry just makes it even more pretentious and unnecessary.
    The mimicry is the original design from Gerald Genta who was responsible for the AP Royal Oak designed around a divers helmet and the Nautilus designed around the porthole. Both 70s designs, both ultra "of their time" with the bracelet integration and shapes, but thats a huge chunk of their appeal to those who like them "investment" bow-locks notwithstanding.
    The Nautilus was designed on a napkin apparently in a hotel close to Baselworld, although this may just be myth and legend but I like it.
    I'll stop wittering but I absolutely love the design and find that period in watchmaking really interesting. Just wish I could afford one these days but market rate has killed me.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Is that you admitting the 5990 is cool? :P
    Hasn't wavered......my offer to buy yours for a tenner still stands

;)

Oh; anyone else think the piaget polo green looks better?

Hasn't wavered......my offer to buy yours for a tenner still stands

;)
    lol, at the rate it gets beat about it's probably worth a tenner.

lol, at the rate it gets beat about it's probably worth a tenner.
    Probably cost me 30k to have the case 'refinished'. lol

Looking at that Piaget more - they've actually been quite forward thinking in their Polo line. I think it may actually look better than the Nautilus in green.

I do.
    ______

​Jim.

Yes.I like it.

Yes for me (although the dial looks brighter on Piaget’s website)...limited edition to 888 though?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not get yourself depressed. I passed through Vienna a couple of years ago, walked into a PP AD and spent 30 minutes seriously intending to buy a 5205. I was wearing a 16710 Rolex GMT11 and was constantly making mental comparisons between the Rolex and whatever PP model I was handling.

The Rolex models are mainly much more bash proof, more water resistant and just more practical.

The PP is a much more gentlemanly watch compared to the somewhat loud Rolex, but in overall summation, I prefer a Rolex.

I walked out of the shop empty handed.
    Next time wear the Rolex into a Grand Seiko boutique. I assume you that you will walk out with a new watch. Quite the eye opener.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blimey these are gorgeous - price to suit I am sure.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakir Khaja View Post
    Blimey these are gorgeous - price to suit I am sure.
    Not nearly as gorgeous as your platinum Submariner you mentioned back in February 2017. Must be as rare as hen’s teeth. Any chance of a picture?

Master
    I agree with what you say, but rightly or wrongly I am getting the itch for something special which is in a different league from what I have already and it wouldn't be worn daily.

The plan was always an Aquanaut which I went on the list for a few years ago but now I'm considering an AP RO or something WG from Rolex. I have some time to figure it out but I think the demand for Nautilus has gone nowhere and a lot will be seeping into different models and/or brands hence people paying 3x retail for an LVc and 2x retail for a BLRO let alone what people are allegedly paying for Platinum Daytonas.
    Sorry I have just picked this up.

If you want something special, do not buy a Rolex because not one of their models can even remotely be described as special. They are very good and are in the top 1% of all watches worn on this planet but they cannot be awarded the accolade of special.

To be special, you are going to have to bite the bullet and buy a Patek. The thing that made me consider a Patek is that it is good to be wearing a watch that is ultra world class and hardly anyone else will notice it. That is why it is special.

You now have a new target in life, be inspired and go for it.

If you want something special, do not buy a Rolex because not one of their models can even remotely be described as special. They are very good and are in the top 1% of all watches worn on this planet but they cannot be awarded the accolade of special.
    Depends on the definition of special. To many (probably most), owning a Rolex is special - and I'm talking about the desire / perception / cost / whole experience here, not the unicorn's chance of being allocated one. Owning a Grand Seiko to most would also be special (indeed, any expensive, well-manufactured timepiece).

I own many Rolex and some Patek - I don't view the Patek as any more special.

P.S. Back on topic, I have put my name down for the olive 5711, but I'm not holding out any hope of being allocated one.
    Last edited by jukeboxs; 8th April 2021 at 14:03. Reason: P.S.

Totally forgot Omega did a nice green too, Patek are rather late to the green party.....https://www.fratellowatches.com/hand...in-green/#gref

Master

Sorry I have just picked this up.

To be special, you are going to have to bite the bullet and buy a Patek. The thing that made me consider a Patek is that it is good to be wearing a watch that is ultra world class and hardly anyone else will notice it. That is why it is special.

What we need to remember Mick is that what you post is ‘in your opinion’ just like what I post is only my opinion.

With that in mind and as to what Wileeeeeey has posted, see I think that Rolex is special and especially WG. I’ve barely taken mine off since buying. As for him mentioning an AP RO, that too is very special. I’ve owned a Patek and my AP feels far more special to me. That’s not to say I won’t buy another Patek. Good job we’re all different really.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Depends on the definition of special. To many (probably most), owning a Rolex is special - and I'm talking about the desire / perception / cost / whole experience here, not the unicorn's chance of being allocated one. Owning a Grand Seiko to most would also be special (indeed, any expensive, well-manufactured timepiece).

I own many Rolex and some Patek - I don't view the Patek as any more special.

P.S. Back on topic, I have put my name down for the olive 5711, but I'm not holding out any hope of being allocated one.
    I agree "special" is both relative & subjective, a couple of years back, i was helping a guy find a watch that would meet his £100 budget, when it arrived he was over the moon, and i remember him proudly letting me have a look.
    That was as special a purchase to him as the perpetual i was wearing.

if you have a £100 budget, a seiko may be special
    if you have a £1000 budget, a tag might be special
    if you have a £1M budget a piece unique Greubel Forsay might be special

Personally, i don't really find most Patek's particularly special, after all how special is a bread and butter 324 movement with a module or two bolted to it.
    If i wanted special i'd be looking at independents, and ideally 1 of 1 built to spec.

Agree Mick is off the mark here.Special can meet a lot of things. Having said that I am still looking to forward to the publication of ‘Uncle Mick’s Guide to Watch Collecting’. I will be one of the first ones to buy it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Agree Mick is off the mark here.Special can meet a lot of things. Having said that I am still looking to forward to the publication of ‘Uncle Mick’s Guide to Watch Collecting’. I will be one of the first ones to buy it.
    My guide to watch buying is to buy a Rolex and never sell it. Also only get it serviced by Rolex or an authorised agent.

If you do that you will be fine.

The ultimate start of the quarter manager talk where you missed target by miles and this quarter's target is even bigger!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I’ve barely taken mine off since buying. As for him mentioning an AP RO, that too is very special. I’ve owned a Patek and my AP feels far more special to me. That’s not to say I won’t buy another Patek. Good job we’re all different really.
    I would be really interested to hear how you get on with both of those post-honeymoon and your current "if you could only keep one" out of the two. If there is a Rolex roadshow this year for Rolex I'm going to see if I can try on some of the dummy models. I think the YM42 would fit well but I want to try your Sub and also the WG Daytona.

I have a friend who is building up his AP collection. I'll try go for a coffee with him at some point when the weather is a bit better. He has smaller wrists and so is a 37mm buyer but I know he's on the list for a blue 41mm RO too and with his spend he'll probably get it.

Master

I love the baguette bezel variant and the olive standard, but I prefer the smokey dial of the earlier 5990 over the blue by a long shot, plus steel is still a win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    There's a good piece somewhere about how Genta's sports watches work, I can't find it but maybe someone can provide a link? It's worth a read just to appreciate how the designs of the Nautilus, RO and Ingy are driven by clever mechanical systems for creating thin watches with good water resistance. In the RO by using the much misunderstood Chicago screws on the bezel, which are not decorative but very much functional, and on the Nautilus by the hinged case. Realising that the case that's wide 'for no apparent reason' is actually using a fully functional hinge to create water resistance in a watch that might otherwise have to be thicker, is a lightbulb moment that helps in appreciating the design. Some also complain that it looks a bit 70s. There's a reason for that too...

Master
    The ultimate start of the quarter manager talk where you missed target by miles and this quarter's target is even bigger!

I would be really interested to hear how you get on with both of those post-honeymoon and your current "if you could only keep one" out of the two. If there is a Rolex roadshow this year for Rolex I'm going to see if I can try on some of the dummy models. I think the YM42 would fit well but I want to try your Sub and also the WG Daytona.

I have a friend who is building up his AP collection. I'll try go for a coffee with him at some point when the weather is a bit better. He has smaller wrists and so is a 37mm buyer but I know he's on the list for a blue 41mm RO too and with his spend he'll probably get it.
    I’ve learned never to say never when it comes to selling a watch, as things change. I’d never have sold my grail watch (116520) until they updated it (116500) so who knows, but right now they feel like keepers. That said I slightly preferred the panda chrono RO when I tried them on but with all things considered (movement, newer model, open case back and price point) I thought mine was a better option. I’m down for a blue dial and a 15202 but with it’s announced discontinuation next year I’d say my chances are between slim and nil. I’m new to AP and just don’t have the longevity of relationship compared to others for what’s a small number of watches. To put into context Rolex make between 800,000 and 1,000,000 apparently and AP make 44,000. Last year it was 37,000. That’s a small amount for a brand hugely on the up. I know of two others who have been told they will get a blue 15500 this year so they can’t be that many left! If AP is a serious consideration for you I’d look at the AP forum - some very knowledgeable and helpful U.K. members on there that helped me get mine. I’d also suggest visiting the AP House when allowed. I’ll be doing that whenever possible as I’d really like to try on more of the ROO’s.

... Personally, i don't really find most Patek's particularly special, after all how special is a bread and butter 324 movement with a module or two bolted to it.
    Especially the 324 (of which I have two) !

Master

Smile

You guys need to stop being cheapskates with all this Patek rubbish and save up for a Grand Seiko

Grand Seiko Spring Drive 8 Day ‘Mishaka’ £176,120.00