closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Window question

Craftsman

Window question

Hey there folks,

I am absolutely atrocious at DIY or anything requiring any kind of tradecraft or skill. The closest I get is cooking!

That being established, I'm a bit unsure about what I think is a problem with one of my conservatory windows. It appears to be getting a build-up of condensation in between the double glazing. So my questions are A) is this a problem (I think it probably is) B) What are the potential resolutions and C) any guide on the costs for potential resolutions please

Cheers,

John

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The seal has gone on the unit. You can just buy a replacement one and they are easy to take in and out but by the sounds of it you'll have to pay someone to replace it for you. They aren't that expensive.
    Or you could do what most everyone else does and live with it.

The condensation between the panes is because the seals have gone on the sealed unit.

It’s not really an issue except for aesthetics; it won’t damage anything and won’t lower the insulating properties to any noticeable extent.

Measure it up and budget around £150/m2 for a tradesman to replace it. He will replace the whole unit and bin your old one. It is possible to take it apart, clean the glass and reseal it with new spacer bars but it really isn’t cost effective.

Craftsman
    It sounds like you have a blown unit, I.e the sealed glass unit has failed and water/condensation has ingressed.

The only solution is to replace the glass unit.

The cost is not too bad depending on what you were expecting, obviously it depends on the size of the glass unit and the type of glass ie toughened or standard but a couple of £100 should be what you are looking at.

Master
    Look for a local glazier or window doctor who should be able to pop the existing unit out & fit a new one. They aren't hugely expensive & you can even order them online if you fancy dong it yourself:

https://www.sealedunitsonline.co.uk/...r/default.aspx

Just to add some context around price, I have replaced several sealed units in my home using a local glazing firm. A typical opening casement Window approx 450x700mm was £45 fitted and my patio door was £200 fitted and is circa 950x1850mm.

Craftsman
    Yet more evidence of how fantastic this place can be! Thank you all for the great advice, exactly what I was after. And a relief that I don't have to knock down the whole thing and start again :)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Just to add some context around price, I have replaced several sealed units in my home using a local glazing firm. A typical opening casement Window approx 450x700mm was £45 fitted and my patio door was £200 fitted and is circa 950x1850mm.
    I’ve been a window installer for 40yrs, it’s a very straightforward job and the prices quoted are pretty much spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Look for a local glazier or window doctor who should be able to pop the existing unit out & fit a new one. They aren't hugely expensive & you can even order them online if you fancy dong it yourself:

https://www.sealedunitsonline.co.uk/...r/default.aspx
    This.

Had the same issue last year, ordered from the above site approx 430x460 cost £45 delivered and fitted it myself. Held in by 4 beading strips, no screws or glue to worry about.