closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seaspiracy on Netflix

Master

Seaspiracy on Netflix

This has simply changed the way I view the fishing industry, the oceans, the lies of "sustainability', the lies of the 'dolphin friendly tuna' certification and most of all US! F_ck!!

We won't be eating any more fish unless we catch it ourselves, which is unlikely!

Just watch it!!

My eldest declared it to be a very poor title and said that if they wanted a play on words why didn't they just call it Conspirasea?
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I watched it. Very poor and unbalanced attempt at a documentary. Whilst some facts might be correct there was a lot of guesstimation going on. Seems to be the sensationalist Netflix way and the new version of a Tabloid Newspaper.
    Last edited by manganr; 6th April 2021 at 05:26.

Watched it the other night and thought at one point it must be a mocumentary. But it did make us rethink our approach to buying and eating fish, which I guess is the desired effect.

That soon abated though when I saw some smoked salmon in the fridge.

Sea or Land, it makes no difference, there are just too many humans and therefore unprecedented consumption.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    My eldest declared it to be a very poor title and said that if they wanted a play on words why didn't they just call it Conspirasea?
    Brilliant!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I watched it. Very poor and unbalanced attempt at a documentary. Whilst some facts might be correct there was a lot of guesstimation going on. Seems to be the sensationalist Netflix way and the new version of a Tabloid Newspaper.
    I agree, it was so bias it was hardly watchable. As soon as Sea shepherd appeared, my hopes of any type of decent documentary disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Sea or Land, it makes no difference, there are just too many humans and therefore unprecedented consumption.
    This, absolutely this. But discussing population control is not allowed.

If you watch this and Game Changers, you will be eating nothing but moss. I enjoy both meat and fish, but I have chosen to be a little more conscious and thoughtful in how I prepare food/meals. I can never be vegan, I love cheese too much! But I'm happy to make a few changes. Soy yoghurt with fruit for breakfast instead of real yoghurt and fruit. Adjust to drinking black tea and coffee (which I've done for years anyway). Vegetable curry instead of chicken curry, where to be honest, the main flavour you want is the curry/spices. There's lots of small changes which can be made, and which will also lead to a healthier diet overall.

You'll be surprised how easy it is to cut down animal consumption, but still have it part of your diet. Plus, I found myself more willing to pay more for a steak, sausages, whatever, from a butcher I know who can trace the origin, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    In the environmental lobby world this is the elephant in the room - one of the best ways to be green is to not have children.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I can never be vegan, I love cheese too much!
    My wife recently accidentally bought a block of vegan cheese. Yuck is all I can say. If you want to eat only plant matter, that’s fine but don’t dress it up and pretend it’s an animal product. And a really nasty one at that!

I've not heard about this one, but I'd place no more trust in getting your information from a Netflix documentary than reading the Daily Mail...treat it as "docutainment" rather than documentary.

Craftsman
    I enjoy eating meat and fish, but like many, over the years have cut my consumption and try and follow a 'plant based' diet. I initially did this in an attempt to have a 'healthier' diet and lifestyle which I believe many nutritionists, Doctors, etc would suggest is a good thing for us all to do if we want to enjoy healthy old age. It seems to have worked for me.

I haven't watched this program yet but intend to. What I find interesting is the response of the the younger generations to this film and indeed to others like Cowspiracy and Game Changers. Whilst we may suggest that the agenda in these films is one sided the young audiences are hugely influenced by them. Having watched the 3 I mentioned above my 4 adult 'children' (30years and below) have all said how they are now actively looking at ways to 'do their bit' and one has already changed to a completely vegan diet.

Power of the media I guess?

This is so true. The concept of 'influencers' or random people on YouTube having thousands of followers is just bizarre to me but seems to be a genuine way of life for some people. I like meat and fish and have no doubt that supertrawlers are randomly and indiscriminately taking everything in their path does need serious intervention. I honestly don't think it will happen for a very long time though. The Chinese in particular have such an appetite for random and sometimes endangered species that some will be wiped out long before anything changes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    In the environmental lobby world this is the elephant in the room - one of the best ways to be green is to not have children.
    It's the first thing i bring up when people bang on about man made climate change...i always ask them if they have children.

Craftsman
    I watched this recently, and agree with a few others here who say it is incredibly one sided. Same for cowspiracy and game changers. Not too long ago, I attempted to go vegan, and had great success! Didn’t really miss meat or milk, and found some great alternatives. However, when I came to give blood, I was told my haemoglobin and iron count were incredibly low, and they refused my donation. They even advised I see a doctor for blood tests.

I had even been taking supplements to counteract that very thing! Any body else have similar problems?

Craftsman
    I've not watched it yet and it maybe one sided but one thing is for sure most of the sea is virtually empty of fish because they just don't live there. Just because it covers 70% of the earth people think there's an endless supply.
    If you think of all the markets/shops in the world that have fish you don't have to be a scientist to know the planet cannot sustain what it was never designed to do and that's feed us lot.
    Take a look at the population explosion over the last 100 years. There are just to many people and the only way to go is have less children.

Master
    We often talk about overpopulation but tbh there are huge empty spaces even in this country. Naively I suppose one way of dealing with it is to somehow reduce the concentration of humanity. Some cities are massively overpopulated. Maybe this 'pandemic' will encourage people to spread out a bit. Forlorn hope. We live just outside the conurbation, which is nice.

I'm not sure it matters where people live just th the sheer scale of their consumption.

Craftsman
    It raises some really important points that we don’t like to think about, and has put me off fish for at least a few weeks, but the tabloid esque one sided nature really got to me.

“Hi, can we interview someone about how you’re driving species extinct? No? Unbelievable”

I have tried to reduce my meat consumption, and its been a lot better than I expected- so many alternatives now which are really good (and a lot that aren’t!). Some burgers, sausages and even chicken pieces I’ve tried would have convinced me, so if it tastes as good but without the impact, perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    My other half has subjected me to watching this, along with the original conspiracy. I’d agree that it was incredibly one sided, I would have liked to have seen another viewpoint. However it’s had the desired effect on us. I really don’t fancy eating fish any time soon now - one of the final scenes where the Danes herded the family dolphin pod into the fjord and cut their throats had quite an effect on me.

Having enjoyed some lovely veggie and vegan recipes from Hello Fresh a while back we’ve decided to give it a try and avoid meat/fish completely. We’ve invested in some cook books from the guys that wrote Bish Bash Bosh and if our attempts look anything like the pictures I think we’ll be OK.

The wife is going more hardcore than me, as I’ll not complain at sometimes having no real alternative but to eat meat when travelling, but I’ll avoid meat wherever there is an acceptable alternative and definitely no fish.

One interesting aspect that wasn’t really tackled is: where do you draw the line? Who is to say which animal species has feelings, thoughts, fear and pain? It’s a very grey area. A while back someone suggested eating and farming insects is the way forward - how does that stack up both morally and environmentally?

Suffice to say, if you read the Daily Mail you'll love it and it will have your blood pressure up in no time.