closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many countries have you been to?

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    Not so much a place as a landmark - but I have been at the top of BT Tower. I emerged from the fire escape hatch in the lift motor room and stood on the top, the only thing left to climb was the mast. Wouldn't do it now - and no longer have the access rights anyway.
    I did the same in Jan 2020 to look at a project. It was just before dark and freezing. I did get a couple of good snaps with my phone as the sun went down though.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Didn’t think about East Germany which I went to. In fact I like to think I helped unite the two countries. Here’s me knocking down the wall . .

Amazing to think that was over 30 years ago and I was very young. Me and a mate had gone inter railing and stopped in Berlin for 4 nights. Think it was 5 DM’s to hire.

You and "The Hoff"..................

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I counted in the mid-50s but I notice a few places not on this list.
    Can you give some examples of (current) countries? I've looked closely and I can't see what's missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Can you give some examples of (current) countries? I've looked closely and I can't see what's missing.
    Theres probably nothing technically missing...I probably didn't articulate it correctly but the list misses out a lot of constituent countries. For example, Curacao - I'm guessing this is lumped in with Netherlands, but using it as a list of places you've travelled then travelling to Willemstad is very different than travelling to Amsterdam. Same with Falklands.

Kosovo is widely recognised but not on the list.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I did the same in Jan 2020 to look at a project. It was just before dark and freezing. I did get a couple of good snaps with my phone as the sun went down though.
    Like the mine and the BT Tower, would be good to hear about unusual or off-limits places TZers have explored.

A couple of years ago I managed to get a private tour round 10 Downing Street. Saw Larry the Cat, all the state rooms, cabinet room and a lot of random artwork that is in there including the neon sign given by Tracey Emin.

Like the mine and the BT Tower, would be good to hear about unusual or off-limits places TZers have explored.
    Large Hadron Collider

31 for me! I’m my mind I thought they were more but I guess that’s mostly due to having visited many of them many times for work and leisure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Just make your own list up using your own definition. I think a lot of people have anyway.
    Last edited by Tony; 9th April 2021 at 07:46.

Just make your own list up using your own definition. I think a lot of people have anyway.
    Does it really matter? Thought this was a bit of fun, not a competition.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    I haven't stated how many countries that I've been to I just answered your question, BTW. these are considered countries according to The Times Atlas of the World.

I've been to 41 on that list.

I did an Interrail circuit of Europe in 1993 and a Round-the-World trip in 1999, including crossing the international date line

Question: Does crossing the International date line make me 1 day younger than the calender would suggest I am? I went eastwards, Sydney to Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    I've been to 41 on that list.

I did an Interrail circuit of Europe in 1993 and a Round-the-World trip in 1999, including crossing the international date line

Question: Does crossing the International date line make me 1 day younger than the calender would suggest I am? I went eastwards, Sydney to Los Angeles.
    Flown both ways over the International Date line. As we crossed, we managed to get hold of a ship on marine frequency once and asked him whether he was having breakfast on one date or another. Pretty confusing!

Dunno, but when the International Date Line was first drawn it went through the middle of the island of Taveuni in Fiji, before being 'bent' to pass round land. So, when I visited the island I found the marker stone and stood with one foot in today and one foot in tomorrow (or yesterday).

I'll admit one or two of mine were airport stop overs (Singapore & Turkey), but no 'waters of'.

I almost visited three more (Saudi Arabia, Tanzania and Sudan), but I didn't count near misses!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

We've set up a long term home in five different continents so far, which become bases for exploring a region's geography, history and culture. We've not lived in Australia, although residing in Singapore and Malaysia for several years offered handy kicking off points for a dozen or so trips into Oceania. Obviously an Antarctic home isn't going to happen but I'd quite like to visit one day. Geneva has much to answer for.

Master
    22 for me. Would have been 23 if my trips had gone ahead last year. Never been to the Far or Middle East but hopefully will do in 2/3 years time. Probably been to Greece at least 50 times over the years though, as try and get there a couple of times a year.

Blog Entries
    A military hospital in Jeddah

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Dunno, but when the International Date Line was first drawn it went through the middle of the island of Taveuni in Fiji, before being 'bent' to pass round land. So, when I visited the island I found the marker stone and stood with one foot in today and one foot in tomorrow (or yesterday).

OK, so some scientific-ish digging suggests I am one day younger than my calendar age suggests because I traveled East over the IDLine.

I was born on a Tuesday in the 1970s.
    Many years later I went east over the IDL landing at LAX Los Angeles.
    A day was added to the real time calendar by the airline crew on board to match the Los Angeles people. But I only aged by the flight duration of 14 hrs, and I think we left at 7 AM Sydney time.

If you count up the days I've been alive, from that Tuesday in the 1970s, it's 17,596. But I've only been on the planet for 17,595 (of my) days.

Supreme geekery, or have I mucked this up?

I also found in my reading that a pilot flying for his whole career (at high speeds) will experience about 50 microseconds of time dilation.

Excluding cruise and flight stopovers I can only manage 6 but that does include several islands belonging to those countries.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

OK, so some scientific-ish digging suggests I am one day younger than my calendar age suggests because I traveled East over the IDLine.

I was born on a Tuesday in the 1970s.
    Many years later I went east over the IDL landing at LAX Los Angeles.
    A day was added to the real time calendar by the airline crew on board to match the Los Angeles people. But I only aged by the flight duration of 14 hrs, and I think we left at 7 AM Sydney time.

If you count up the days I've been alive, from that Tuesday in the 1970s, it's 17,596. But I've only been on the planet for 17,595 (of my) days.

Supreme geekery, or have I mucked this up?

I also found in my reading that a pilot flying for his whole career (at high speeds) will experience about 50 microseconds of time dilation.

Never happened.

When travelling, you just live through a number of longer or shorter days (let's ignore relativity for this argument), but the number of hours never changes. At the end of the day, if you were born 50 years ago today on the very spot where you are now, you are 50 years old, no matter how often you travelled around the world one way or another.

Just look at it like this. You and a friend both travel around the world, one clock-wise, the other counter-clock-wise. Let's say the trip takes a few days with stopovers and you leave at the same time (the counterclockwise flight will be much quicker, but that's for another day). So if you meet again at the end of your journeys and shake hands again (post corona), has one of you aged differently from the other? No.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

27 for me - I feel I’ve been travelling for ever (I’m 70) but it has fallen off dramatically over the last decade.

Yes but, the count of days I've been alive, calculating the total from my birthday is wrong, no? Because it assumes 24 hours alive in each 7 day week.
    But that week I passed through 8 calender days.....

Yes but, the count of days I've been alive, calculating the total from my birthday is wrong, no? Because it assumes 24 hours alive in each 7 day week.
    But that week I passed through 8 calender days.....
    Yes, but you still have only lived 168 hours.

At the end of the day, any flight to and from the US (Europe, actually), will result in you having lived a number of long or short days. Crossing the dateline is no different.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711 View Post
    27 for me - I feel I’ve been travelling for ever (I’m 70) but it has fallen off dramatically over the last decade.
    Can you pick top 3 the most favourite countries as for a tourist which you would like to visit again?

Blog Entries
    60 from the list and no longer have any real desire to add to it.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

14, intend to start travelling again in a couple of months (not for the count, though).

Master
    Blog Entries
    36 from the list, it would have been a few more if not for COVID

It's not just speed that is a factor for pilots.

Proximity to a source of gravity is also a key factor. So the time they spend at a specific height relative to someone on the surface of the Earth makes a difference too.

Travel

35 for me from that list, some many times over, mostly on business.

Interestingly, the one that made me look over my shoulder fairly constantly was whenever I visited Manila.
    The people in the Philippines are very welcoming though and hard workers.
    They are also like human recorders, their musicianship and ability to repeat what they hear is outstanding.

Andy

Master
    When I was in Libya met some people from the Travellers’ Century Club and they presently count 329 separate countries and territories on their list to visit. Membership is for those over 100.

One of the guys on the trip had 4 to go; heard from him the next year that he had done them and completed it. What to do after that ……

Quote Originally Posted by stevieb View Post
    When I was in Libya met some people from the Travellers’ Century Club and they presently count 329 separate countries and territories on their list to visit. Membership is for those over 100.

One of the guys on the trip had 4 to go; heard from him the next year that he had done them and completed it. What to do after that ……
    That's useful for their definition of territory which they list in addition to individual countries - e.g. Alaska, Transnistria, Easter Island, Sabah and Sarawak. Their definition of visiting is also far looser than mine, setting one foot down during a refuel stop qualifies. It makes 100 much easier to achieve, I guess I'd be heading towards 150 by their criteria.

https://travelerscenturyclub.org/cou...rritory-status

https://travelerscenturyclub.org/cou...nd-territories

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    That's useful for their definition of territory which they list in addition to individual countries - e.g. Alaska, Transnistria, Easter Island, Sabah and Sarawak. Their definition of visiting is also far looser than mine, setting one foot down during a refuel stop qualifies.
    I do remember he had to be on the payroll of one of the US armed services to get access to one island. Was paid a dollar :-) . Each area of Antarctic took some planning as well with weather window. Libya was tricky as this was during Gadafi’s time and relations with the US were not great and they were Americans. It opened up a bit for the eclipse so they took the opportunity.

36 for me, would have probably been 40 if not for Covid.
    There's only one I have no interest in visiting again and that's Nigeria.

Cheers,

Adam.

Master
    Only 26 for me, would have thought it was going to be rather more.