closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai Discounting PSA

Craftsman

Panerai Discounting PSA

Hi everyone

Been away a while - another child and a pandemic to deal with.

Been considering a Panerai for a while but could never get one for a decent price and there was still a lack of discounting despite the brand not being as desirable as it used to be

Had a look on the main ADs websites this weekend and to my surprise they have quite a lot of models discounted

Mappin and Webb have quite a few due range as well as another few. Just need to decide what to do

Thought it might be helpful if anyone else is in the same position as me. Discounts around 20%

Ab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Number

Have come across a number of retailers the past 18months or so which are discounting the Brand quite visibly. Appears to be a brand which you can now expect to receive a heavy discount on via a retailer or the secondary market, just avoid their boutiques who still think the brand is super desirable.

Panerais are a bit like Mexican food. Doesn't matter what you order the same thing turns up.

And I say this as a PAM owner so no offence intended;)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The brand has been experiencing difficulties recently, the collectors have moved away.
    It's just a matter of time...

It's the change of offerings, 30WR, snap on backs

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m not convinced they are finding it tough, I thought I read their sales were up in 2019. Not So sure about last year which would have been an odd one anyway.

Those collectors mentioned were in the main nothing more than speculators. Hyping up and selling for profits.... yes they moved on. Onto Rolex and some other brands.

What’s changed is they aren’t all about their past and trying to find a way forward. Who knows if they will succeed in the long run. As for discounts, a lot (read most) brands are discounted.

They have a wider range now and one that can appeal to many, not just those that want a 47mm watch. This year more 40mm models are coming too

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    I’m not convinced they are finding it tough, I thought I read their sales were up in 2019. Not So sure about last year which would have been an odd one anyway.

Those collectors mentioned were in the main nothing more than speculators. Hyping up and selling for profits.... yes they moved on. Onto Rolex and some other brands.

What’s changed is they aren’t all about their past and trying to find a way forward. Who knows if they will succeed in the long run. As for discounts, a lot (read most) brands are discounted.

They have a wider range now and one that can appeal to many, not just those that want a 47mm watch. This year more 40mm models are coming too
    That is a fair assessment.
    My impression is they are having a resurgence of sorts. Not selling like hot cakes but enough interest and sales to keep going profitably. There is a tendency on part of some to try and talk them down here but they seem to be holding their own.

If that’s true, then I’m pleased. I’m all for more brands continuing to offer more/new models, but I’m just going off the Internet chatter, and a lot of individuals that were heavily into Panerai have left the brand for one or another reason. I don’t see that shift so much with other brands.
    It's just a matter of time...

I must confess i was a heavy collector- hit maybe mid 40s in total at the high point and was a collector because i loved the watches not as a speculator, i've sold it off 2/3rds of it, leaving the watches I wear and love, lost money on the sell off but was fine with it

i liked the design language, they made a watch to my specification, i came close to buying a minute repeater and still play with the idea of it even though i get how utterly pointless it is

The new models and design language leaves me very cool to the brand they seem to have lost the things i loved, i haven't bought anything for 3 years to me they look too lego like now

It feels the new CEO is taking at the same way he took Roger Dubuis plus when you start talking about experiences it makes wonder what you're actually selling

I wasn't the initial wave of panerai collectors but was probably the second one, i look in interest but haven't seen something i desperately want for years now. Instead i suspect anything i buy will be second hand from the period i liked and i have a couple of itches to scratch on that front :)

Quote Originally Posted by mrpgkennedy View Post
    I must confess i was a heavy collector- hit maybe mid 40s in total at the high point and was a collector because i loved the watches not as a speculator, i've sold it off 2/3rds of it, leaving the watches I wear and love, lost money on the sell off but was fine with it

i liked the design language, they made a watch to my specification, i came close to buying a minute repeater and still play with the idea of it even though i get how utterly pointless it is

The new models and design language leaves me very cool to the brand they seem to have lost the things i loved, i haven't bought anything for 3 years to me they look too lego like now

It feels the new CEO is taking at the same way he took Roger Dubuis plus when you start talking about experiences it makes wonder what you're actually selling

I wasn't the initial wave of panerai collectors but was probably the second one, i look in interest but haven't seen something i desperately want for years now. Instead i suspect anything i buy will be second hand from the period i liked and i have a couple of itches to scratch on that front :)
    I remember reading about the panerai you were having made ,I don’t remember seeing the finished piece ,some guys on Facebook were saying a couple of weeks ago what they would want if they could have one made to there spec.

Master
    I have owned one (183 Radiomir) and often think of getting another Panerai. I'm more interested in the pre in-house variants than the current ones. People who are "into" watches tend to do some research before buying and will then consider the 30/100m WR, springbars and less-deep sandwich dials as indicators of watches being built to a budget rather than designed and then priced accordingly. I'm also a bit wary of some of the servicing comments online when considering the 8-day in-house movement that the models that appeal to me are fitted with.

Going back to my comment on people researching them, I have noticed some of the 000/111/112/210/183 variants have actually gone up in value and are seen for sale less than I remember when I bought my 183. To me, these are the more classic yet still affordable variants that appeal to most people new to the brand which makes the new equivalent similarly priced or perhaps even less expensive. The advice I used to read was get the most basic version (ie manual wind, time only or small seconds at a push) of the case-shape you like and this carries even greater weight when the movement can be serviced by any decent watchmaker rather than send back to the manufacturer.

Ant

Panerai Discounting PSA

I bought my 425 off the forum for around half retail price, I would lose little if I sold it and the quality for the price I paid is outstanding.

Craftsman
    Picked up a Luminor last year from the London boutique for just short of 7k

Didn't get a discount (never asked) but another strap was included

I didn't bond with it and let it go for 3.5k
    I was aware of the resale and thought it would have been a keeper.

Lesson learned: Be less impulsive and do more research (on a Radiomir next time)
    Last edited by Mysqueek; 6th April 2021 at 18:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post

Lesson learned: Be less impulsive and do more research (on a Radiomir next time)
    Ouch that’s some drop. Think the manual wind base models seem to hold near their value or drop £1-2k. Plus the older discontinued models seems to sitting strong 2nd.

Slowly losing the love for my base, but not sure if enough to sell.

Would be interested to see what models are announced this year especially those around 40 & 42mm.

Brand is distinct & the technology used in case materials is forward thinking. RRP on the current models are crazy mind you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post

Ouch. Would never buy a new Panerai.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I remember reading about the panerai you were having made ,I don’t remember seeing the finished piece ,some guys on Facebook were saying a couple of weeks ago what they would want if they could have one made to there spec.

ahhhh that would be when i persuaded them to make an extra 365 for me, i was told i could have any dial colour any lume and any case material, in the end went with titanium so it was light enough to wear. Unlike most panerai it doesn't have a date letter/production number. The movement has a number as it had to be specifically designed for me, the star chart on the back is set to london, along with the sunrise sunset inserts. I wear it all the time. Last weekend i had a heart stopping moment when opening a bottle of wine in the basement my hand flew up and felt my wrist hit the sharp edge of the metal ducting. I felt sick and had felt the hard thump on my wrist, it was painful to look when i did it turned out to have hit the strap. I can not describe the relief

comes with a panerai winder and magnifier glass which look like the 60s military tools they used to make and have model numbers along with the key you use to adjust to BST

photo wise I don't seem to be able to post them anymore since photo bucket stopped working, happy to email them to someone to post

if i'd gone through with the 600 i was told they would make me a truly unique watch, any case design any movement and a dial to my design and they would have given it a unique model number, but the more i thought about it the less it made sense, any historic looking watch would look like a fake with a modern panerai movement, so you'd be left with dress watches, the plan if i'd gone though with it was a 47mm luminor in platinum with a blue sunburst dial, in the end the combined cost put me off and at the time neither lume colour worked with it, it was also the point that I sobered up and wondered why i had so many watches i didn't wear as an unworn watch is just pointless

Panerai Discounting PSA

Last edited by Andyp1973; 10th April 2021 at 14:19.

Panerai Discounting PSA

Photos of Paul’s collection above and continued below.

Last edited by Andyp1973; 10th April 2021 at 14:26.

Now for the really special stuff. Pre v

Master
    That makes me feel so much better Andy. I thought my collection was excessive until I saw those pics. Amazing stuff.
    Edit to add, is that a 203 in there?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Robsmck; 10th April 2021 at 15:57.

Some crackers there ,well all of them ,if you can afford it ,I can see how it can get out of hand ,it’s a good job I’m skint .
    I think these need putting in the panerai thread .

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Some crackers there ,well all of them ,if you can afford it ,I can see how it can get out of hand ,it’s a good job I’m skint .
    I think these need putting in the panerai thread .

I did think that when I was halfway through putting them up. Paul is emailing me some more so I’ll probably drop those on to the other thread. If I’ve got the time I’ll move these.

Master
    Just getting to se these pics on a laptop. Even more stunning. The 365 is amazing, 203 would be a grail for me.