closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Omega/tudor new releases on the 7th?

Craftsman
    I was at Ernest Jones in Peterborough on Friday to drop my GMT off, and they had one of the new reverse panda chronos on a bund strap that I tried on. I was really, really impressed and think I will have one later in the year, on a braclet mind, not fussed on the bund. The dimensions were really nice!

Unfortunately these are going to be very scarce for the foreseeable, all the main AD's got launch day stock, one of each configuration except some big Goldsmiths who got multiples. They are all long gone and it will be on to the drip feed distribution now for the next 6-12 months as Rolex and Tudor love this "form an orderly queue" supply model. My local Tudor AD has 55 names on the list.

I can see why they are feeling pleased with themselves, a column wheel vertical clutch 70hr in house Chrono movement in a nicely executed vintage style for £3,900, they even made it, tolerably, thinner!

Beginning to wish I had picked up both as the white version, although lovely, is quite difficult to read at glance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Unfortunately these are going to be very scarce for the foreseeable, all the main AD's got launch day stock, one of each configuration except some big Goldsmiths who got multiples. They are all long gone and it will be on to the drip feed distribution now for the next 6-12 months as Rolex and Tudor love this "form an orderly queue" supply model. My local Tudor AD has 55 names on the list.

I can see why they are feeling pleased with themselves, a column wheel vertical clutch 70hr in house Chrono movement in a nicely executed vintage style for £3,900, they even made it, tolerably, thinner!

Beginning to wish I had picked up both as the white version, although lovely, is quite difficult to read at glance.
    Well, all true apart from the in-house statement.
    Not bad in house at all. It’s the Breitling B01 movement they are using...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Well, all true apart from the in-house statement.
    Not bad in house at all. It’s the Breitling B01 movement they are using...

Of course we know that Tudor and Breitling have reciprocal arrangements for movement sharing, both benefit as does the consumer.

Master
    Of course we know that Tudor and Breitling have reciprocal arrangements for movement sharing, both benefit as does the consumer.
    Sure, so not in house then?

Sure, so not in house then?

Most certainly in house, stop being so silly.

My local Tudor AD has 55 names on the list.
    I doubt that very much.

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly but honest question...if Tudor is using a Breitling movement, how can you call this "in-house"?

Master

Omega/tudor new releases on the 7th?

Sure, if you are breitling and you are putting it in one of your chronographs it most certainly is.....

Last edited by Ar.parask; 19th April 2021 at 23:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly but honest question...if Tudor is using a Breitling movement, how can you call this "in-house"?
    That’s bad enough, I can’t get my head round the fact that the in house movements are made by Kenissi, who also make movements for Breitling, Chanel and Norqain.

Tudor established Kenissi as a subsidiary, but seems like a mild stretch to call it in-house: maybe exclusive third party?

Gets even more complicated when Tudor then leases their in house / third party movement to Breitling!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    That’s bad enough, I can’t get my head round the fact that the in house movements are made by Kenissi, who also make movements for Breitling, Chanel and Norqain.

Tudor established Kenissi as a subsidiary, but seems like a mild stretch to call it in-house: maybe exclusive third party?

Gets even more complicated when Tudor then leases their in house / third party movement to Breitling!
    You should also add fortis to this list..!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I doubt that very much.
    Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by Saints2014 View Post
    The BB58 Blue and GMT can be had for £2300-£2400 readily poor residuals. You can get 3 month old ones for this price so losing around 30%
    How is that 30%, new price is £2760 for BB58 Blue. 30% would be sub 2k.

Master
    As far as chronos are concerned, I will be sticking with these...

Journeyman

That is a very nice trio.

Lovely trio..

I can understand that. Nothing recent comes close to those to my eyes.

Sure, if you are breitling and you are putting it in one of your chronographs it most certainly is.....

I seem to recall other famous brands using Zenith or Lemania base movements in their timepieces and thats worked out ok...

I take your point re true defenition of “in house”...i pick up my reverse Panda shortly all being well and applaud Tudor for using what they see as the best available movement to drive it...

I wrote an article not too far back about the Audi 4.0 V8 Twin Turbo found in RS6 and how its used in the Continental V8 / Bentayga / Lamborghini Urus ..a great workhorse of an engine that does not detract from the desirability of any of its more expensive hosts..

I think having the Breitling movement doesn’t detract from its desirability or value. May not technically be in-house but I couldn’t give a damn. This might happen with more regularity in future. The point is it is not an off the shelf movement and does provide significant improvements over it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I think having the Breitling movement doesn’t detract from its desirability or value. May not technically be in-house but I couldn’t give a damn. This might happen with more regularity in future. The point is it is not an off the shelf movement and does provide significant improvements over it.
    I don't think it matters at all...I'm just confused as to how it can be described as in-house:

Quote Originally Posted by petay993
    Most certainly in house, stop being so silly
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH
    I take your point re true defenition of “in house”...

Genuinely, have I missed something? Doesn't in-house mean the same company makes the movement and the rest of the watch. How might one companies movement in another companies case be described as in-house? Whats this true version of in-house versus any other version of in-house? Isn't it in-house or not?

I'm guessing in-house for the BB Chrono just means it isn't an off the shelf ETA movement or similar and was made in-house by an actual watch company.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    I seem to recall other famous brands using Zenith or Lemania base movements in their timepieces and thats worked out ok...

I take your point re true defenition of “in house”...i pick up my reverse Panda shortly all being well and applaud Tudor for using what they see as the best available movement to drive it...

I wrote an article not too far back about the Audi 4.0 V8 Twin Turbo found in RS6 and how its used in the Continental V8 / Bentayga / Lamborghini Urus ..a great workhorse of an engine that does not detract from the desirability of any of its more expensive hosts..
    No one has said that this practise has not worked well in the past.
    I find your response quite perplexing if I am being honest. This is not about desirability but misinforming someone.
    As you can see above I have three Tudor chronos, which are very desirable and all use outsourced movements...
    The fact remains that when another outfit provides the movements these are outsourced and not in house....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'm guessing in-house for the BB Chrono just means it isn't an off the shelf ETA movement or similar and was made in-house by an actual watch company.
    I am sorry but this doesn’t seem right....
    In-house means that the movement was designed, developed and manufactured by the company that puts it in a watch and marks it with its trademark using in house tooling etc... anything else is not in house....
    Lemania was an actual watch company but sinn, Heuer etc didn’t assign the in-house term on their watches.
    A few years back, tag Heuer bought all the rights from seiko so they could produce the 1887 chrono movement. As soon as they called in house, which they had the right to do, the community started mocking them.
    In this case it seems that Tudor doing it is ok....

This has turned into a somewhat bizarre conversation.

If Breitling makes a movement and Tudor puts it in a watch, it's not in-house. That's simply a fact.

Not being in-house doesn't mean it's bad, are Patek's with JLC movements bad? No. Are Zenith Daytona's bad? No. So there's really no reason for folk to get defensive about it. It's a good movement, just not an in-house one.

I am sorry but this doesn’t seem right....

In-house means that the movement was designed, developed and manufactured by the company that puts it in a watch and marks it with its trademark using in house tooling etc... anything else is not in house....
    I agree, but I'm trying to see where the other person is coming from and there's some logic in it even if it isn't correct.

I'd be happy to buy the BB Chrono with a Breitling movement modified by Tudor whereas I wouldn't touch an IWC with a Sellita movement no matter how modified it was.

From waht I can see, the Tudor version of the movmenet has some unique features (the 4 way adjustable balance for instance), so there is some justification fpr a statement that it is their movement with a Breitling chrono module on it....
    It also hacks, which the Breitling version would seem not to (again, as far as I read elsewhere). See Here
    I am no expert, but this is certainly in that grey area of not being "just bought it" and at the same time not being "in-house designed and made from the ground-up".
    D

OK, I now agree with where the consensus is heading with in-house. "Finished or modified in-house" I can buy but using the term on it's own is definitely incorrect....it's like calling an apple an orange.

It does seem strange that the movement is marketed as in house, and given a Tudor reference when it is produced by Breitling. They never claimed the ETA movements in the black bays to be anything other than ETA, regardless of any bells and whistles they added.

Wouldn’t bother me personally but I wonder why the shift in stance. maybe since they introduced true in house movements they didn’t want to be seen as taking a backward step to outsourced ones, so quickly deployed the smoke and mirrors

Whatever your viewpoint I have just picked mine up with its 'out of house' (in the porch) movement and I love it as much as its other 'out of house' stablemates...the modified 4030 (Zenith) is a peach of a movement and the BO1 sounds like it will do the job....I suppose much respect to Rolex / Tudor for going down the BO1 route rather than possibly a cheapened 4130 option.....

have to say glad I went with Black as for me it's more legible and a tad 6263...size is really nice and I love the domed crystal...

a pic with some other 'out of house' upstart.

Last edited by TKH; 1st May 2021 at 09:52.

I have no issue with having a different movement to the watch brand...makes no difference and as you say the Tudor/Breitling or Rolex/Zenith combination can be a better overall product than the alternative option of having the brand make everything. Two impressive watches...particularly envious of you Tudor owners on here...they look great!

Omega/tudor new releases on the 7th?

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Whatever your viewpoint I have just picked mine up with its 'out of house' (in the porch) movement...

have to say glad I went with Black as for me it's more legible and a tad 6263...size is really nice and I love the domed crystal...

a pic with some other 'out of house' upstart.

Niiiice. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    I think I read somewhere that the movement is produced by Kenissi which Tudor owns a big chunk of and is co-managed by both Breitling and Tudor. So it's not like Breitling make the movements and then sell them to Tudor. Whether that counts as in house or not is still an interesting question!

Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    I think I read somewhere that the movement is produced by Kenissi which Tudor owns a big chunk of and is co-managed by both Breitling and Tudor. So it's not like Breitling make the movements and then sell them to Tudor. Whether that counts as in house or not is still an interesting question!

I am thoroughly enjoying mine and the pricing feels very competitive for what you get.

At a glance legibility is not as good as the black dial version but the outline of the hands reflects the light in most circumstances.

I am thoroughly enjoying mine and the pricing feels very competitive for what you get.

At a glance legibility is not as good as the black dial version but the outline of the hands reflects the light in most circumstances.

lovely looks fab in white ...i have to say it's such a hard choice between the two options which tells you everything ....they got this spot on in both variations...

enjoy...

Wouldn't mind seeing a Photoshop of the white dial with the same black outline style hands of the polar Explorer II and black outlines on the hour markers. Would help with legibility but also might look good.

Love the new Panda's

Wish I still had this one

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Love the new Panda's

Wish I still had this one

I'm normally 2 register over 3 but I really like the look of that Panda.

Edit - I think it's moreso the indices that are calling me compared to the dive style lume markers.

Master

Just because...

Master
    Absolutely love the new Tudor chronograph. Store near me has both the black and white in the window and having looked at both I really want the white. Went in to have a look to be told they’re for display only and not for sale… I miss been able to go into a shop and actually buy something in the window…