closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Electric Scooters on Pavements....grrrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Mick, if you're riding around on a bloody scooter at your age you look like a pillock, end of.

If that doesn`t bother you that's fine, but using your legs would do you far more good!
    I thought by the time you reach later life you’ve given up caring what other people think you look like! My dads got a scooter and I don’t think he gives two hoots what he looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I thought by the time you reach later life you’ve given up caring what other people think you look like!
    True, but you become far more critical (and vociferous) about what other people look like!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I thought by the time you reach later life you’ve given up caring what other people think you look like! My dads got a scooter and I don’t think he gives two hoots what he looks like.
    You also become far more vulnerable to a fall.
    I don't think it's a bad mode of transport. I might even use one if there were enough scooter* paths to avoid going on the road as the state of them is incompatible with small wheels imo, and on the pavement because I don't expect pedestrians to move out of my way

* for me, a scooter path differs from a cycle path as it has to offer a decent surfacing if on the road. Which is not always the case in Kent.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I'm 56 and have an e-scooter.

It has 10" wheels so it's not too bad if the road surface is less than perfect, but you do need to avoid potholes.
    I bought one limited to 15.5mph intending to ride it from home to train station & from Waterloo to my office on the assumption they would / will soon become legal. Speaking as someone who used to regularly commute with a Brompton, I really don't see why the speed limited versions cannot be legalised. Ridden sensibly, on the road or cycle paths, I don't see how they are more problematic than cycles.
    As for mandatory insurance - why? Cyclists are not required to be insured.
    I did ride as intended a few times, but news of the police in London confiscating scooters & people getting points on their driving licence put me off, so now I just ride to my local station & leave it there.

As to whether people think I look stupid whilst riding, I simply don't care.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I don't think it's a bad mode of transport. I might even use one if there were enough scooter* paths to avoid going on the road as the state of them is incompatible with small wheels imo, and on the pavement because I don't expect pedestrians to move out of my way

* for me, a scooter path differs from a cycle path as it has to offer a decent surfacing if on the road. Which is not always the case in Kent.
    With bus lanes, cycle lanes, scooter lanes and footpaths, there’ll be no room left for cars!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Not everyone.
    You can't argue with pork Ian.

Last Christmas I was standing close by when a friend, well into his 60's, came head first off his scooter, the obstacle a small slope/ bump no more than a few inches in height, poor old bugger, thank goodness he had his helmet on, he was bruised and bloody and very, very lucky I felt not to have broken something! It's really quite grim, nerve wracking even watching older people, take a tumble.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    With bus lanes, cycle lanes, scooter lanes and footpaths, there’ll be no room left for cars!
    Some would say that it is the ultimate goal...
    Not me though. Cycle lanes and scooter lanes can be the same, provided they are fit for purpose, and few are genuinely.
    I genuinely believe we need to rethink our moving around. In Paris using your car is very actively discouraged. However there needs to be an alternative with both (not either/or) public and personal transport.
    I can see a future where personal cars will be left in giant parkings outside larger metropoles (which could also have solar farms on their roofs) and people would use bikes, scooters or public transports to get to their final destination. You may say I'm a dreamer...

Two big issues with that dream in the UK

1. Folk are lazy and like their car

2. The weather in Paris is much more suited to transport without a roof than, say, Glasgow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    Two big issues with that dream in the UK

1. Folk are lazy and like their car

2. The weather in Paris is much more suited to transport without a roof than, say, Glasgow.
    I said metropoles

It also rains in Paris. That is why I insisted that it was not to be considered independently but with fit for purpose public transport as well.
    I used Paris as an example because e-scooters are legal to use there (since Oct 2019), and they can even use bus lanes, but not the pavement (apparently town/city mayors [every village and above have one] can allow it when no cycle path exist but they mustn't go faster than a pedestrians and will always be responsible in case of an accident).
    They cannot even park on the pavement, but can park in a car parking space and do not have to pay.

You may say I'm a dreamer...
    But you’re not the only one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    You can't argue with pork Ian.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    walkerwek - you are an old man and young people don't give a damn what an old man thinks of what looks cool or not. Basically you have had your day so you don't really count anymore. Welcome to the world of retired rubbish.

Thats a bleak attitude Mick. Just because you are in your swan song does not mean you do not count anymore. You should enjoy the short time you have left.