closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Scooters on Pavements....grrrrr!

Fair cop. Suspect is going to face some time.

“A police officer suffered a broken leg after being hit by an e-scooter in north west London.

The incident happened at around 1pm on Saturday during an operation in Willesden to prevent the illegal use of e-scooters.

A Metropolitan Police officer flagged down a man riding a scooter - but he failed to stop and collided with the PC.

The officer was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital where it was confirmed he had suffered a broken leg.

A 22-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm, assault on an emergency worker, obstructing a drugs search, failure to stop, dangerous driving, driving without a license or insurance, breaching the terms of a prison sentence and being unlawfully at large.”

There is no infrastructure for these scooters - there's barely a decent infrastructure for many things in this backward country. Add in the fact that most seem to be ridden by utter idiots, then it's a recipe for more injuries and, sadly, deaths.

They should be banned. But they won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Fair cop. Suspect is going to face some time.

“A police officer suffered a broken leg after being hit by an e-scooter in north west London.

The incident happened at around 1pm on Saturday during an operation in Willesden to prevent the illegal use of e-scooters.

A Metropolitan Police officer flagged down a man riding a scooter - but he failed to stop and collided with the PC.

The officer was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital where it was confirmed he had suffered a broken leg.

A 22-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm, assault on an emergency worker, obstructing a drugs search, failure to stop, dangerous driving, driving without a license or insurance, breaching the terms of a prison sentence and being unlawfully at large.”
    Indeed but it sounds like riding the e-scooter is the least of his offences!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

They should be banned.
    That’s the spirit, don’t like it, let’s ban em’

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    That’s the spirit, don’t like it, let’s ban em’
    Oh, I'd ban many things, don't you worry about that ;-)

Blog Entries
    There is no infrastructure for these scooters - there's barely a decent infrastructure for many things in this backward country. Add in the fact that most seem to be ridden by utter idiots, then it's a recipe for more injuries and, sadly, deaths.

They should be banned. But they won't be.
    Agree. They should be banned from the roads and the pavements.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Like any mode of transport, there needs to be appropriate governance. An outright ban is pointless and short-sighted.

We love ours and use it regularly (safely and sensibly I might add).

Why are they any different to e-bikes or Segway’s?

Electric Scooters on Pavements....grrrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    Like any mode of transport, there needs to be appropriate governance. An outright ban is pointless and short-sighted.

Same as Segways, don’t see anyone claiming otherwise.

Master
    I was in Harrods yesterday and they had a particular model for sale in there at just over 2.5K that would do 40mph.
    Now that is a serious accident waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I was in Harrods yesterday and they had a particular model for sale in there at just over 2.5K that would do 40mph.
    Especially if ridden by the scrotes I see riding them round my way. Always on pavements, often texting as they go!

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Only 40mph.......

The most dangerous thing I've seen is parents dropping their kids off to school on an e-Scooter.
    As if having one person ride the scooter wasn't bad enough.
    Something needs to be done pronto.

Interesting how the 'Segway' has died out within the past few years, along with the owner: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-11416654

Quote Originally Posted by noms2000 View Post
    Under most circumstances they're already illegal to use yet that's ignored, would you make them even more illegal? Coppers on every street corner? A 6 figure fine?
    Last edited by CardShark; 4th August 2021 at 03:23.

Master
    Interesting how the 'Segway' has died out within the past few years, along with the owner: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-11416654
    That’s a tragic accident and very sad actually, for someone who has gifted £23m in charitable donations.

The most dangerous thing I've seen is parents dropping their kids off to school on an e-Scooter.
    Confiscate them (the scooter too).

- - - Updated - - -

Confiscate them (the scooter too).

5 people die every day in the UK thanks to motor vehicles.

But scooters are the most dangerous thing.

I think if we need extra legislation, we should maybe try to protect those that are actually dying every single day.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    5 people die every day in the UK thanks to motor vehicles.

But scooters are the most dangerous thing.

I think if we need extra legislation, we should maybe try to protect those that are actually dying every single day.
    But surely in a population of 67 million, 0 accidents is like chasing 0 COVID deaths…ie the only way you do this is to live in your own box and never leave it?

Master

Much smaller wheels so totally unsuited the the badly maintained road surfaces that we have in this country. Small wheels and potholes don’t combine for a happy outcome.

For what it’s worth, I never saw a Segway on a public road.
    Last edited by David_D; 4th August 2021 at 11:22.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Much smaller wheels so totally unsuited the the badly maintained road surfaces that we have in this country. Small wheels and potholes don’t have a happy outcome.

Depends where you go, some roads are better than others and if you only ever ride on a dozen or so roads local to you you soon get to know the crap ones. I ride my skateboard on roads around me and I know which ones to avoid and which are good. My skateboard has much smaller wheels than a scooter.

Craftsman

The difference is that all e-scooters and Segways are are considered to be electric transporters and are illegal to use on the public road or highway and it matters not whether they are used "safely and sensibly".

E-bikes which are compliant with the standards set down in legislation are treated as bicycles and can be used in the same manner as a non-assisted bicycle.

Craftsman

That'll be because they were never legal to use on a public road and the likes of Halfords wasn't selling them to the masses.

I understand the legislative differences, what I was (poorly) saying was that there needs to be a change in the way electric vehicles are classified.

Simply saying 'not road legal' isn't helpful with the volume of them that are being used. Equally, slapping them with the same regulations that a car has (i.e. MOT, road tax and insurance) is too heavy handed.

Personally, I'd like to see speed limited devices (like e-bikes) be classified the same as bicycles. Make it mandatory to have a helmet, use cycle lanes etc.

I'd just like to use ours legally, without worry.

Craftsman
    I was in Nottingham town center a few weeks ago where the council have a scheme for the hire of these things , during the day i could see them but at night when i set off back at 11 ish they were zipping all over the shop even with rudimentary light and hard to spot . A friend of the plod persuasion in the city did say they were causing mayhem

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Under most circumstances they're already illegal to use yet that's ignored, would you make them even more illegal? Coppers on every street corner? A 6 figure fine?
    As these e-scooters can only be used on private property with the property owner's permission, it should be made necessary for prospective purchasers to prove that they have the required property or permission rather than the cynical free-for-all by the likes of Halfords, which sells a product which it knows is illegal to use in most circumstances but covers itself with a disclaimer on its website.

Craftsman
    I understand the legislative differences, what I was (poorly) saying was that there needs to be a change in the way electric vehicles are classified.

Simply saying 'not road legal' isn't helpful with the volume of them that are being used. Equally, slapping them with the same regulations that a car has (i.e. MOT, road tax and insurance) is too heavy handed.

Personally, I'd like to see speed limited devices (like e-bikes) be classified the same as bicycles. Make it mandatory to have a helmet, use cycle lanes etc.

I'd just like to use ours legally, without worry.
    You were doing well until you mentioned helmets.

SydR
    I was cycling home from work the other day and this young kid stopped beside me, at a set if lights, on what was very obviously a home made e-scooter.

It had a large, unpainted, wooden base with three enormous lead acid batteries fitted underneath.

The kid turned to me and said “you want to race me Mr?” which I ignored. A few seconds later he took off, lights still on red, and in no time caught up, and overtook, a car ahead.

He’ll be lucky to reach adulthood!

I suspect a lot of that was due to cost. Probably out of reach for 99% of current e-scooter users when it costs £3000+ for a Segway. At the time, a secondhand car would be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I suspect a lot of that was due to cost. Probably out of reach for 99% of current e-scooter users when it costs £3000+ for a Segway. At the time, a secondhand car would be cheaper.
    Cost most definitely, also their size and requiring quite some skill to ride properly. Very much a niche product. I remember when they were launched - they will transform personal transport, we'll all be riding them etc. Haha.
    Last edited by Mouse; 4th August 2021 at 15:11.

Master
    Was amused on my lunchtime walk to see a rather large lady on an electric scooter that did not have enough power to get her up the hill. She had to resort to pushing along with her foot, what’s the point.

Master
    I remember when they were launched - they will transform personal transport, we'll all be riding them etc. Haha.
    The words Sinclair and C5 spring to mind!

True. I'd forgotten about those. Do you remember those little warning flags on the back.......a great defence against an artic
    Last edited by Mouse; 4th August 2021 at 16:54.

Though unlike that it is a decent product and has found niche uses.

Master
    The consequence of having no proper standards applied to the import of electric scooters:

E-scooters banned from Metro and Shields Ferry after fires
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-59634886

Blog Entries
    Much smaller wheels so totally unsuited the the badly maintained road surfaces that we have in this country. Small wheels and potholes don’t combine for a happy outcome.

I've never even seen a Segway.

As for E-scooters, given the speeds that they can reach I really can't see the good points of allowing them on pavements.
    https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status...483471875?s=20

Master
    I've seen numerous near-misses of scooters (and their riders) with pedestrians, either on the pavement or going across zebra (and even green-lit) crossings.
    As has been commented, the speeds (and I'd add the acceleration) such scooters are capable of is deeply concerning. Quite a few youngsters are also involved, some under 18.
    Consequently, the complexities of addressing their (mis-) use are signifiant. This is where regulation before they could be used (in whichever country) would have been helpful.
    In some states/locations, they have been suspended. In that regard, COVID-19 was an added impetus.
    I wonder if schools have much to say about them? Very few youngsters (or older people) I see using them (including at high speed) wear helmets, let alone the danger to pedestrians (and others).
    Perhaps an option would be to speed-limit them (for legal use), and also reduce their acceleration.

Blog Entries
    In all the discussions on these scooters I come back to the same thing. Pavements are for pedestrians, with the exception perhaps of low speed disability buggys. You shouldn't have to worry about scooters flying along behind you or around a corner at the speeds these things do. And if you're riding along the pavement on a bicycle I'm not getting out of your way.

Master
    Ultimately society has decided teenagers don’t need to be offered advise from older folk. I heard a discussion on Jeremy Vine and the person speaking against the scooters was regularly reminded that the youth of today need to be listened to. Good luck to anyone who challenges them about safe riding.

They want their scooters and they’re here to stay, which is fine. But for 500 quid you can buy one capable of 60mph. And do we think tyre tread, breaks etc are going to be checked regularly. And without insurance who’s going to pay if there’s an accident? Most scooters are less than a year old, without an mot what will their road worthiness be in 3/5 years?

You need a license etc for a moped so why not these. Which are faster.

Kids tell me they wouldn’t dare drive a scrambler/moped with necessary documents but PCSOs just tell them to be careful on their escooter

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Ultimately society has decided teenagers don’t need to be offered advise from older folk. I heard a discussion on Jeremy Vine and the person speaking against the scooters was regularly reminded that the youth of today need to be listened to. Good luck to anyone who challenges them about safe riding.

They want their scooters and they’re here to stay, which is fine. But for 500 quid you can buy one capable of 60mph. And do we think tyre tread, breaks etc are going to be checked regularly. And without insurance who’s going to pay if there’s an accident? Most scooters are less than a year old, without an mot what will their road worthiness be in 3/5 years?

You need a license etc for a moped so why not these. Which are faster.

Kids tell me they wouldn’t dare drive a scrambler/moped with necessary documents but PCSOs just tell them to be careful on their escooter
    I attended a 25th Birthday party on Sunday and obviously the topic of scooters arose. The oldies thought that they were dangerous and should be kept off the pavements. The youngsters said they were better than cars that pollute the world and anyway if you are frightened by a scooter, you should stay at home where you belong.

The world belongs to the young, so scooters are here to stay.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Shared use path or footpath? They've got little signs to help you distinguish the two. Pratts who like to block other users due to their own sense of entitlement should be sent on path awareness training courses.
    I believe I was referring to pavements not ‘shared use paths or footpaths’.

You can’t have pedestrians sharing the same footpath with cycles or electric scooters, without sooner or later people will get injured.

“There are no lanes marked on the path and nobody has the right of way, so all users are equally responsible for their actions. As a cyclist it's important that you keep your speed down and watch out for others.”

Yeah course….

And you’re right prats who like to cycle on ordinary footpaths, due to their own sense of entitlement should be sent on path awareness training courses.

What we need is some pavement awareness courses for prats in cars who drive/park on the pavement due to their sense of self-entitlement!

Is it not a £30 fine for cycling on a pavement?

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    What we need is some pavement awareness courses for prats in cars who drive/park on the pavement due to their sense of self-entitlement!
    This is a pet hate of mine, terrible on my housing estate especially considering everyone has a driveway.
    But around the shopping precincts electric scooters and bikes are becoming a very real danger and it's only a matter of time before someone is badly hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Is it not a £30 fine for cycling on a pavement?
    🤣🤣 and who’s doing the fining?!

藍藍 and who’s doing the fining?!
    Far more cyclists are charged for riding on pavements that cars are for driving on them.

Both are illegal.

Both are illegal.
    So are lots of things. Problem is there aren’t enough police to enforce them so I can’t see many getting fined for riding on the pavement…

So are lots of things. Problem is there aren’t enough police to enforce them so I can’t see many getting fined for riding on the pavement…
    The police used to sit outside my office in Angel and ticket my team as they left the road and cycled across the path to the bike shed. Never seen a car ticket, ever. There's 100 of them outside my house parked on the pavement none will ever get a ticket.

To be clear, I think neither of these should get tickets, but I would like an even handed approach. Same with scooters. If you're going to ticket them for illegal riding on the pavement, hit the motorists just as hard.

The police used to sit outside my office in Angel and ticket my team as they left the road and cycled across the path to the bike shed. Never seen a car ticket, ever. There's 100 of them outside my house parked on the pavement none will ever get a ticket.

To be clear, I think neither of these should get tickets, but I would like an even handed approach. Same with scooters. If you're going to ticket them for illegal riding on the pavement, hit the motorists just as hard.
    I agree

Ultimately it should be about a bigger objective: we should try and encourage more people to cycle as it is healthier, better for environment and reduces car congestion

There is often a reason why people cycle on pavements: eg the road isn't suitable for cycling, the person doesn't feel confident, the pavement is large enough to accommodate a cyclist and a pedestrian

Simply fining people for cycling on a pavement doesn't achieve much other than discourage cycling.

In Netherlands, cyclists and pedestrians share pathways. People are trained on how to cycle sensibly, there is a culture that encourages cycling. These days, there are many electric bicycles in Netherlands and the same rules apply.

I would like to see more thoughtful cycling/e-cycling/e-scooting on pavements rather than outright bans of using pavements for anything other than pedestrians

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Far more cyclists are charged for riding on pavements that cars are for driving on them.

Both are illegal.
    Re Cars on pavements, not all are illegal.

Around here there are quite a few narrow residential roads where cars are encouraged to park on the pavement denoted by signs like this..

Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Re Cars on pavements, not all are illegal.

Around here there are quite a few narrow residential roads where cars are encouraged to park on the pavement denoted by signs like this..

Car parking on pavements is not illegal. Cars driving onto the pavements is.

Dumb law, but it is the law.