closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 90 of 90

Thread: Oldest watch in your collection

  1. #51
    Mine practically modern compared to others on here. But bought by dad when I was born & mine since 18! 36yrs young and now my fitness & holiday back up watch.


  2. #52
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    364
    It might be this Rotary, no idea on age, but it is old!



    Otherwise it is this Smiths RG Series 12.15 from 1950/51


  3. #53
    Craftsman Derivative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    964
    Not as old as many watches here but old enough to be vintage I think.

    Seiko 6458 from the early to mid 1980s:




  4. #54
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    12,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Father's Longines 13ZN - 1946


    Simply sublime.
    You and I remember Budapest very differently.

  5. #55
    Craftsman HookedSeven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    413
    1938 pre-Heuer Seafarer. I didn’t know of any others for a good few years, then last autumn another one appeared in Japan. Serial numbers would suggest that only a really small batch were made. Not just my oldest but also one of my favourites.

    Last edited by HookedSeven; 6th April 2021 at 07:27.

  6. #56
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    31,927
    1960 - my birth year, in fact. I wear it regularly but infrequently, if that makes sense.


  7. #57
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    333
    1940s Cyma WWW for me.
    I can't se myself getting anything older than that but there are a couple of others around the 40s/50s I'd like to add, and maybe swap the Cyma for a Longines if a decent one comes up that isn't crazy money. I'd probably rather put the difference towards an IWC Mk 11 though.

  8. #58
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    11,689
    In answer to the title, it'd be my Omega Pocket watch (from 1910), but the OP asks which is the oldest wristwatch in my collection in the wording, which makes it this one:



    An Omega Seamaster 30. Its serial number dates it to 1961, making it a year older than me.

    OR this one:



    A Novus, which is engraved with a date of 1962, so could have been made earlier than the Omega.

    M
    Last edited by snowman; 6th April 2021 at 09:49.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

  9. #59
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    South London
    Posts
    100

  10. #60
    Master alfat33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,989
    Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    1938 pre-Heuer Seafarer. I didn’t know of any others for a good few years, then last autumn another one appeared in Japan. Serial numbers would suggest that only a really small batch were made. Not just my oldest but also one of my favourites.

    Thatís gorgeous. How does the chrono work? Looks like a 6 minute counter and a stop centre seconds. Or am I way off? :).

  11. #61
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    604
    Hereís a blast from the 90ís. Adidas chronograph bought for me by my dad for my 16th Birthday in the mid 90ís. I keep meaning to get a new battery in it to see if I still works.

  12. #62

    Oldest watch in your collection

    This Rolex from the early 1930ís

    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jdh1; 6th April 2021 at 11:06.

  13. #63
    Craftsman HookedSeven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    413

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Thatís gorgeous. How does the chrono work? Looks like a 6 minute counter and a stop centre seconds. Or am I way off? :).
    Itís a yacht timer so a five minute countdown for the start of a race. No running seconds just the countdown timer. Itís based on a Mido Multichrono but the minute counter wheel only has one finger (instead of the normal six) so the subdial converts to a five minute count from a standard 30 minute countdown.

    It was nice when the other one appeared as it validated mine as being legitimate, but I wish his was rougher and a later SN ;-)

    https://www.instagram.com/p/CJfUeFPr...=1b8fn9mhmlvnu

  14. #64
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    16,051
    Blog Entries
    2
    Navi from 1966 gets worn at least twice a week.





    Technically the oldest in my collection is my mothers hand wind omega which is a little early 60s number but I never wear it ever as its only about 20mm diameter.

  15. #65
    For me is the UG from 1963... still in perfect shape




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #66

  17. #67
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    25,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    This Rolex from the early 1930ís

    That's handsome.

    Some great and interesting watches on display here. Makes a change from the same old stuff.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  18. #68
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Simply sublime.
    Thanks. It's what got me started on this watch collecting madness.

  19. #69
    Master alfat33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,989
    Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    Itís a yacht timer so a five minute countdown for the start of a race. No running seconds just the countdown timer. Itís based on a Mido Multichrono but the minute counter wheel only has one finger (instead of the normal six) so the subdial converts to a five minute count from a standard 30 minute countdown.

    It was nice when the other one appeared as it validated mine as being legitimate, but I wish his was rougher and a later SN ;-)

    https://www.instagram.com/p/CJfUeFPr...=1b8fn9mhmlvnu
    Thanks. Of course, I didnít think of a yacht timer.

    As for the other one, thatís just overpolished, yours has a lot more character ;).

  20. #70
    Grand Master Griswold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    18,283
    My oldest dates from 1890, so 131 years old.



    A Waterbury Series N with a Duplex Escapement which my Grandma gave to my Father during WW2 when he broke his wristwatch. The chain I inherited from my Granddad.
    Best Regards - Peter

    I hate being bipolar, its brilliant.

  21. #71
    Craftsman HookedSeven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    As for the other one, thatís just overpolished, yours has a lot more character ;).
    Mine had even more ďcharacterĒ the day it arrived !


  22. #72
    Probably this WW2 British Army ATP by Enicar/Racine with a very early NATO type strap.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  23. #73
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,261

    Oldest watch in your collection

    My oldest watch will likely be one of my ATPs, my GSTP or my KM issued watch all predate my Waltham A11 from 1944 by a couple of years. (The earliest watch I can date to year of manufacture)







    For a bit of fun...
    I will throw a tenner in the fundraiser if someone can tell me what links the Alpina above and the bottle of cologne itís sitting on
    :-)

  24. #74
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post



    For a bit of fun...
    I will throw a tenner in the fundraiser if someone can tell me what links the Alpina above and the bottle of cologne itís sitting on
    :-)
    It is (/claims to be, I've never checked) the first Eau de Cologne. So...the first Alpina??

    People used to drink it but I'm hoping it's not that!

    Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by RyanB; 6th April 2021 at 18:38.

  25. #75
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    It is (/claims to be, I've never checked) the first Eau de Cologne. So...the first Alpina??

    Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Nope...

    Both were issued to the German Kriegsmarine.


    One for telling the time,
    One for making U boats smell a bit better

    Each U boat submariner was given a few bottles before each mission as they could not wash when at sea, the idea was they would use the cologne instead. Most kept it and gave it to the wife or the brass in port.
    I will, throw a tenner in anyway.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 6th April 2021 at 18:41.

  26. #76
    Master alfat33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Nope...

    Both were issued to the German Kriegsmarine.


    One for telling the time,
    One for making U boats smell a bit better

    Each U boat submariner was given a few bottles before each mission as they could not wash when at sea, the idea was they would use the cologne instead. Most kept it and gave it to the wife or the brass in port.
    I will, throw a tenner in anyway.
    There was me thinking your watch was issued to Oberleutenant Siegfried Endler, commander of this boat .

    https://www.uboat.net/boats/u4711.htm

  27. #77
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    There was me thinking your watch was issued to Oberleutenant Siegfried Endler, commander of this boat .

    https://www.uboat.net/boats/u4711.htm
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-1206

    Nah this one! It was sunk by someone flushing the toilet.

  28. #78
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Nope...

    Both were issued to the German Kriegsmarine.


    One for telling the time,
    One for making U boats smell a bit better

    Each U boat submariner was given a few bottles before each mission as they could not wash when at sea, the idea was they would use the cologne instead. Most kept it and gave it to the wife or the brass in port.
    I will, throw a tenner in anyway.
    Hmmm I was a little off then!

    It's my current Cologne of choice but it is on the subtle side - you'd need more than a few drops to mask the smell of weeks at sea.

    Found this following up on the submarine sunk by its toilet...

    "fitted with new deepwater high-pressure toilets which allowed them to be used while running at depth. Flushing these facilities was an extremely complicated procedure and special technicians were trained to operate them"

    ...there's an issued watch you'd want thoroughly cleaned!

    Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

  29. #79
    Master Caruso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worthing
    Posts
    2,137
    My oldest watch is a digital. Hard to put an exact date on it, but circa 1900.


  30. #80
    Craftsman pepere13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Frog
    Posts
    602
    Circa 40’s, Benrus Sky Chief venus 178



    Delivered in 1945:

    Longines ref 5707



    Omega CK2444 with later MoD dial and hands



    Omega CK2444 with later VB dial



    1953, Constellation 2646-6SC



    Everything else in the collection is from the 60’s and upwards
    Last edited by pepere13; 8th April 2021 at 06:49.

  31. #81
    My 1944 Omega 30T2, long since claimed by my wife as her daily wearer.


  32. #82
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by pepere13 View Post
    Circa 40ís, Benrus Sky Chief venus 178

    Longines ref 5707
    Nice Benrus but that Longines is a phenomenal example. The case looks as sharp as they come!

  33. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by pepere13 View Post
    Circa 40ís, Benrus Sky Chief venus 178

    Delivered in 1945:

    Longines ref 5707

    Omega CK2444 with later MoD dial and hands

    Omega CK2444 with later VB dial

    1953, Constellation 2646-6SC

    Everything else in the collection is from the 60ís and upwards
    Lovely, every one of them

  34. #84
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    4,937
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Certainly my oldest but no idea just how old.

    Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Looks like a Z hallmark date code, post up some better pics of the hallmarks and its quite easy to date the watch.

  35. #85
    Thanks for the response, I'll take some better snaps.

    Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

  36. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Looks like a Z hallmark date code, post up some better pics of the hallmarks and its quite easy to date the watch.

    Hope these are more revealing, most interested in any thoughts








  37. #87
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    4,937
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Hope these are more revealing, most interested in any thoughts







    The movement serial looks to be 23119629 which would date the movement 1919 and the case is a Birmingham Dennison dated 1924.

    Very nice watch and beautiful movement..

  38. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    The movement serial looks to be 23119629 which would date the movement 1919 and the case is a Birmingham Dennison dated 1924.

    Very nice watch and beautiful movement..
    Oh, thanks so much for that. My wife pointed it out to me in the window of a bric-a-brac shop about 20 years ago , but I thought it wasn't my sort of thing, until I looked at the movement. Couldn't not have it for the £80 asking price ........
    Last edited by notnowkato; 9th April 2021 at 12:47.

  39. #89


    This little Rado Green Horse for me & still runs beautifully.

  40. #90
    Master earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    The Flat Stuff, Lincs.
    Posts
    1,856
    This "marriage" is by some margin my oldest piece - the silver case, crystal, movement and (probably) hands are those of a Junghans pocket watch, there's a service date scratched on the movement of "6.1936", so presumably predates that by at least a decade; dial and lugs are likely recent additions - someone on here suggested a Ukrainian origin. Keeps amazingly good time and wears well on the bund for a 49mm watch.






Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information