closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Watch Stopped Ticking

Master

My Watch Stopped Ticking

I've not worn my Omega Aqua Terra 2503.33 watch for a couple of weeks, as expected needed a wind but it didn't tick even after winding or giving it a gentle shake.
    It has a see through case back but can't see anything loose moving around, I had it serviced via the Omega boutique shop in Regent Street just over 3 years ago so don't think it is under warranty.
    It's not had a bang or a knock so can't understand why it won't tick, I'm been unemployed for a while now so fixing the watch is not a priority, but can someone recommend a cheap place where it could be fixed when I'm back in the money?

Master
    Send the watch to Tim at ALSAL Watches, 226 Strand.

He would be more than happy to take a look at it for. I have used this family run business for many years and have always been been very pleased with his work.

firmly tap it with your fingers. early co axials doesn't always start on their own.

p.s. no, you won't break it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    I've not worn my Omega Aqua Terra 2503.33 watch for a couple of weeks, as expected needed a wind but it didn't tick even after winding or giving it a gentle shake.
    It has a see through case back but can't see anything loose moving around, I had it serviced via the Omega boutique shop in Regent Street just over 3 years ago so don't think it is under warranty.
    It's not had a bang or a knock so can't understand why it won't tick, I'm been unemployed for a while now so fixing the watch is not a priority, but can someone recommend a cheap place where it could be fixed when I'm back in the money?

Try winding something like 30+ winds rather than just a few. What happens then? If nothing then it needs looking at.

Master
    Yes that's they key. Exactly how much has it been wound?

Master

Vostok not ticking

I have the same problem with one of my Vostoks. After wearing it for a few of hours of activity, it’s not ticking. What would you recommend?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    Send the watch to Tim at ALSAL Watches, 226 Strand.

He would be more than happy to take a look at it for. I have used this family run business for many years and have always been been very pleased with his work.
    What are their prices for future reference?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Try winding something like 30+ winds rather than just a few. What happens then? If nothing then it needs looking at.
    Usually give it about 20 turns and that last under 48 hours before it needs winding again.

Usually give it about 20 turns and that last under 48 hours before it needs winding again.
    And was it holding power if worn consistently? Or was the auto not working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    So what’s happening now after giving it 30+ turns?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    And was it holding power if worn consistently? Or was the auto not working?

It was holding that power, but the less time on my wrist obviously made it stop earlier.

Master
    So what’s happening now after giving it 30+ turns?
    Nothing has happened, previously when winding (not counted how many times but over 20 plus) you could feel each turn being tighter.

Journeyman
    Sounds like it needs inspection from a professional. It may be better to use a competent independent for a brief inspection although STS are pretty quick but may insist on full service.

Grand Master
    It needs to go to someone who's happy to work on co-axials. The problem may be unrelated to the escapement but the watch needs to be with someone who's got experience with co-axial escapements. I don`t get involved with them.

Really shouldn't be having problems 3 years after an Omega service, but if it won't run it certainly has got problems.

The ETA 2892, on which the 2500 is based, needs approx. 60 twists of the crown to fully wind, but 20 tyurns should definitely be enough to get it running.

Blog Entries
    If you can get back to the AD when the shops open and explain and maybe draft a letter to have it sent back to Omega service direct. If it’s less than 6y old you could argue consumer rights for free repair or as it’s a recent service the may offer FOC fix.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 3rd April 2021 at 15:29.

Master
    If you can get back to the AD when the shops open and explain and maybe draft a letter to have it sent back to Omega service direct. If it’s less than 6y old you could argue consumer rights for free repair or as it’s a recent service the may offer FOC fix.
    Not a chance unfortunately, the watch is over 12 years old.

Craftsman
    As someone mentioned have you tried a gentle tap as sometimes that’s all it needs but does sound like it needs a service

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scootnfast View Post
    As someone mentioned have you tried a gentle tap as sometimes that’s all it needs but does sound like it needs a service
    Yes I have made multiple gentle taps, but no change.

If you shake it does the sweep hand move at all? If not you may have a broken mainspring.

Journeyman
    Have you tried moving the time past the point where the date change mechanism engages?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    If you shake it does the sweep hand move at all? If not you may have a broken mainspring.
    The sweeping hand does not move, the last time it was worn it was working as normal. I then put it away in the red padded travel case before the next time I would put it on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steve7 View Post
    Have you tried moving the time past the point where the date change mechanism engages?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I have done that a couple of times, change the date manually and
    still no changes/movement.
    Last edited by classics; 5th April 2021 at 13:47. Reason: Spelling mistake

Master
    Not a chance unfortunately, the watch is over 12 years old.
    An update - I took my watch into Omega boutique Regent St. London and told them my watch stopped working, they took it upstairs to have a quick look but couldn't see what was wrong with it. Whilst waiting for the paperwork to be done for a service I found the old ready to collect email on my phone, I mentioned it was only serviced in 2018 and they told me no it was serviced in 2017 (actually took it in on the 7th Dec 2017 and it was ready on 29th of Jan 2018).

3 days later I get a call from the boutique to let me know the main spring and barrel was broken, as a gesture of good will, I will get a full service free of charge but no refurbishment. Mainly only visible by the loupe the case, case back, clasp, crystal, bezel and bracelet has impact marks/scratches - strangely IIRC the damaged is/was similar to the watch before the 2017 service.

I can't believe all the damaged that I have done to my watch since I wore it daily for 3 months (until May 2018 unemployed since) and it was mainly a desk and supervising role, then worn sparingly until Covid (stay at home) when it was not worn at all

Grand Master
    Unusual for an automatic mainspring to fail after such a short time. The mainspring and barrel could be replaced without fully stripping the movement.

Master
    Good result for you, I've found Omega to be very good re customer service.

Surprised re damage, are you sure it hasn't had a significant impact?
    Last edited by JeremyO; 12th September 2021 at 10:14.

That’s a great result for you, OP. Bearing in mind your current circumstances a relief, I’m sure.

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Good result for you, I've found Omega to be very good re customer service.

Surprised re damage, are you sure it hasn't had a significant impact?
    The only impacts that I can think of is clipping door handles and shopping trolleys/baskets. The last day I wore the watch/took it off, it was ticking, the next time (well over a couple of weeks) I wanted to wear it, as usual needed winding and after it was wound it did not tick.

Impact marks on the case back??? Yes I tapped my finger on it a few times and don't have iron finger nails or protruding wrist bones 樂

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Contact Uri Geller…