closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The Rolex 2021 April 7th Release Thread

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    I've not had a massive amount of dealings with new Rolex purchases but what I have had has been really quite pleasant.

About 6 years ago I asked for a sub date from Preston's in Leeds, however in the 3 weeks between asking and getting a call to come and buy, my wife and I found out we were having our first child so I turned it down and bought a speedmaster saving a couple of grand. They were absolutely fine with it.

Then about 3 years ago I went into the same place with my old man and ordered a SD43. Got a call within a year and bought it no problems.

Last year my old man went to pick up his warranty card and mentioned I wanted an explorer 2 for my 40th in a couple of years, they said no problems and last week confirmed there wouldn't be a problem if/when the new release was announced.

The only time we have had a problem is when my old man picked up his SD43, he enquired about a Daytona. They said it was difficult but he was added to the list and would get a call within 5 years (long time but he wanted that model and was prepared to wait). Long story short when he followed up he was told the sales advisor left the business and the manager apologised and said he shouldn't have been told they could get him one. Frustrating but for a watch of that scarcity no surprise.

Each time they have been lovely to deal with, just a case of not enough supply to meet demand. Not ADs fault and for purchasers like myself and my old man not a problem. Happy to wait for certain models for special occasions and ADs tend to like those sorts of buyers.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    EDIT: My original response was a long essay of bitterness.

My own experience of that same AD is completely the opposite. Nothing but wasted time, made to feel like utter scum and spoken to like dirt.

Ruined my perception of the brand, and resulted in me shopping elsewhere at dealers that treat me like a human being. I still buy Rolex and travel to do so, but just because I like the watches themselves and the way they wear
    Last edited by NickGaters; 10th April 2021 at 22:00.

I think people are confusing Rolex 2021 release thread with ‘Moaning and Whining about Rolex ADs’ thread:-)

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I think people are confusing Rolex 2021 release thread with ‘Moaning and Whining about Rolex ADs’ thread:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Godwin's law

Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    Godwin's law

Absolutely, particularly on TZ-UK.
    You could be discussing women and bikinis and somehow Rolex availability, marketing, bits about mass produced middle level, good but not great trinkets etc will creep in.

Got my name down for SS Explorer 1. Couldn't resist, if I don't like it I'm sure I could easily move it on.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Just put my name down for an Explorer with an AD, never been on a list before. Got a kind of wooly commitment for them to get me one.

What's the score these days with adding your name to lists of multiple AD's? Is this seen as a big no-no or just part of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand101 View Post
    Just put my name down for an Explorer with an AD, never been on a list before. Got a kind of wooly commitment for them to get me one.

What's the score these days with adding your name to lists of multiple AD's? Is this seen as a big no-no or just part of the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    Got my name down for SS Explorer 1. Couldn't resist, if I don't like it I'm sure I could easily move it on.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
    Were you able to register your interest over the phone/email or did you call in to store?

I just called my usual AD, I have previous with them so it wasn't any hassle.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand101 View Post

If you register at multiple AD's for the same watch(es) it flags up on the their CRM system and they delete all requests. Probably just best to wait it out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    If you register at multiple AD's for the same watch(es) it flags up on the their CRM system and they delete all requests. Probably just best to wait it out.
    Is that even true? GDPR etc? I can see a Rolex AD with multiple shops having a central database but I doubt for one second the AD I deal with would ask Rolex for an Explorer and give them my name. It will just come on their allocation and they will distribute as they see fit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Is that even true? GDPR etc? I can see a Rolex AD with multiple shops having a central database but I doubt for one second the AD I deal with would ask Rolex for an Explorer and give them my name. It will just come on their allocation and they will distribute as they see fit.
    My AD told me that's certainly the case with the Aurum group AD's. Whether they were talking bull excrement is anyones guess.

My AD told me that's certainly the case with the Aurum group AD's. Whether they were talking bull excrement is anyones guess.
    They're telling the truth but this relies on the ADs using the same CRM system which means having the same ultimate owner (Goldsmiths, WoS, Mappin etc).

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    They're telling the truth but this relies on the ADs using the same CRM system which means having the same ultimate owner (Goldsmiths, WoS, Mappin etc).
    Right that makes sense. Thanks!

The Rolex 2021 April 7th Release Thread

AD contacted to say buying new Explorer might prove a bit tricky due to the fact I’ve had three in last 10 years!

In my defence, I said that hideous 39mm was never a true Rolex Explorer :))

No reply yet...
    Last edited by Toshk; 11th April 2021 at 19:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    AD contacted to say buying new Explorer might prove a bit tricky due to the fact I’ve had three in last 10 years!
    Just tell them that you explore a lot

I my defence, I said that hideous 39mm was never a true Rolex Explorer :))

No reply yet...
    On behalf of all 39mm Explorer owners:

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    On behalf of all 39mm Explorer owners:

LOL

214270 and maxi case are the silently admitted mistake of the 2010s!
    Last edited by Toshk; 11th April 2021 at 20:56.

Master
    Blog Entries
    LOL

214270 and maxi cases are the silently admitted mistake of the 2010s!
    Harsh ... but probably fair ...

LOL

I politely disagree, the 39mm is superb IMO. The Explorer was always going to match the OP size if adjusted, so it was going to be 36 or 41 (and we may well see the 41 in the future). I can see why they went 36 to offer a unisex professional model though, smart move in that sense.

LOL

Why all the hate for the 39mm Explorer I?

The 214270 is my most loved watch along with the other 'silently admitted mistake of the 2010s!' - the 116600 Seadweller SD4K.

Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I politely disagree, the 39mm is superb IMO. The Explorer was always going to match the OP size if adjusted, so it was going to be 36 or 41 (and we may well see the 41 in the future). I can see why they went 36 to offer a unisex professional model though, smart move in that sense.
    Imo best Rolex designs with exception of the Submariner were and still are the 36mm case / 20mm bracelet ratio!

39mm case with massive shiny bezel on a narrow bracelet doesn’t work at all.

Also logo and 3 6 9 were too big. But that was a result of broader dial.
    Last edited by Toshk; 11th April 2021 at 21:26.

I cant remember exactly the year, probably 2016, I was travelling through Heathrow to Hong Kong. In the Rolex shop I bought a 39mm Explorer. Got a little discount and duty free so only cost £3.5K I think. The flight was over 12hrs so I had plenty of time to play around with it. I couldn't get over the fact that it just didn't look right. Too much dial thin shiny bezel looked like a soy sauce dish on my wrist. On arrival in HK I spent a few days contemplating whether or not to keep it. In the end I sold it to a grey at the same time made a little profit.

I cant remember exactly the year, probably 2016, I was travelling through Heathrow to Hong Kong. In the Rolex shop I bought a 39mm Explorer. Got a little discount and duty free so only cost £3.5K I think. The flight was over 12hrs so I had plenty of time to play around with it. I couldn't get over the fact that it just didn't look right. Too much dial thin shiny bezel looked like a soy sauce dish on my wrist. On arrival in HK I spent a few days contemplating whether or not to keep it. In the end I sold it to a grey at the same time made a little profit.
    Exactly!

I tried really hard to like it! But gave up
    after three genuine ownership attempts. I mean really wanted to keep one.
    Last edited by Toshk; 11th April 2021 at 21:51.

Maybe they think you are a flipper!

Imo best Rolex designs with exception of the Submariner were and still are the 36mm case / 20mm bracelet ratio!

The great thing about opinions is we all get one

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Maybe they think you are a flipper!
    All sold at a loss!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That horrible bi-metal "Explorer" is a travesty of the heritage of the model and it's origins and use.
    Much as I like bimetal watches I agree on this point!

Edit: Just had another look and its growing on me!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 11th April 2021 at 22:45.

Master

With you both 100%. I had the opportunity to pick up a 39mm Explorer on a couple of occasions but it just didn’t feel right. And yes I realise it must be perfect for someone, there’s no need to write a defensive reply explaining why it’s just right. But it’s not just all relative to wrist size. Some watches look like dinner plates even when they’re in the display case and nowhere near the wrist - with a Rolex logo visible from across the room it just feels different. Some people want a larger watch because it fits them, but some people just want a large watch (and to be fair, on some people oversized works for them). Having said all that, 36 can feel pretty dainty these days and I think they’re going round in circles.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 12th April 2021 at 15:11.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don’t know why they didn’t just keep the 39mm and add the 36mm alongside it ...

Doesn’t matter what they do ... everything sells anyway. Must be a fun business to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I don’t know why they didn’t just keep the 39mm and add the 36mm alongside it ...

Doesn’t matter what they do ... everything sells anyway. Must be a fun business to run.
    Agreed it would make sense to me giving people both options. Maybe the bigger plan is to release a 41mm along side the 36mm further down the line.

Master
    I wear my 39mm Explorer as the daily beater, it just seems the perfect watch.

The watch buying public have always had a soft spot for the 36mm model and its reintroduction was only a matter of time. I suppose the 39mm, now that it has ceased production, will become more sought after.

Craftsman
    The more I look at the Meteorite Daytona with ceramic bezel the more I like it. As close to perfect as the Daytona has been imo. If I could get on a list for one I’d be all over it but it looks highly unlikely tbh.

Journeyman
    Very intriguing however I would like to see new innovations related to the movements. Rolex is stagnating.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    The more I look at the Meteorite Daytona with ceramic bezel the more I like it. As close to perfect as the Daytona has been imo. If I could get on a list for one I’d be all over it but it looks highly unlikely tbh.
    I am reliably informed that the rose gold, full bracelet meteorite Daytona is most popular. Would rather the white gold oysterflex model myself.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I am reliably informed that the rose gold, full bracelet meteorite Daytona is most popular. Would rather the white gold oysterflex model myself.

Me too. I don’t generally like ceramic bezeled Daytonas but the ring of black seems to make the meteorite dial pop on this one. I am waiting for a call-back today but not hopeful. I think the lists are all closed, at least to mere mortals like me.

Master
    Waltzed into Goldsmiths yesterday evening. They said it is Aurum group policy to not register interest in some models only for people that have no buying history with them.

I put my name down for either new 36mm Explorer model and was told they expected up to a year-ish, which I expect was just a figure. So, we'll see.

Journeyman
    Had a classic Rolex post-2017 experience today in the Rolex section of a big watch store in Switzerland. There I was browsing the empty display cases while passing the time with the friendly Chinese sales assistant when he mentioned in passing that they'd had the new Explorer II arrive in store today. Momentarily forgetting that it was 2021, I was just about to ask him to bring it out for me to try it when I noticed the panicked look on his face, having realised that he'd just suggested to a walk in customer that he could actually sell them a sports model - a borderline sackable offence. He quickly blurted out that the watch had already been 'sent out' to a 'customer' (as if I wasn't one).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Waltzed into Goldsmiths yesterday evening. They said it is Aurum group policy to not register interest in some models only for people that have no buying history with them.

I put my name down for either new 36mm Explorer model and was told they expected up to a year-ish, which I expect was just a figure. So, we'll see.
    You had better luck than I. I called my Goldsmiths AD and was also told no registration of interest without history. I pointed out that I do have history; two Rolexes in the last two years. However she said ‘computer says no’. She pulled up my record successfully, confirmed the personal details but informed me that there is no purchasing history against my account. So that’s that!

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    You had better luck than I. I called my Goldsmiths AD and was also told no registration of interest without history. I pointed out that I do have history; two Rolexes in the last two years. However she said ‘computer says no’. She pulled up my record successfully, confirmed the personal details but informed me that there is no purchasing history against my account. So that’s that!
    I'd push them on that. At the AD I go to I think they have three profiles for me and all my purchases can't be attached to all three profiles. No idea what the split is but I would call back and/or give serials.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'd push them on that. At the AD I go to I think they have three profiles for me and all my purchases can't be attached to all three profiles. No idea what the split is but I would call back and/or give serials.
    That’s interesting, cheers. I think I’ll drop in on them with paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Shubs View Post
    Had a classic Rolex post-2017 experience today in the Rolex section of a big watch store in Switzerland. There I was browsing the empty display cases while passing the time with the friendly Chinese sales assistant when he mentioned in passing that they'd had the new Explorer II arrive in store today. Momentarily forgetting that it was 2021, I was just about to ask him to bring it out for me to try it when I noticed the panicked look on his face, having realised that he'd just suggested to a walk in customer that he could actually sell them a sports model - a borderline sackable offence. He quickly blurted out that the watch had already been 'sent out' to a 'customer' (as if I wasn't one).
    A lot of them (staff) have no idea what they are talking about. Almost zero knowledge nor actual interest in watches.

Popped into my local AD and they have not had a single interest registered on the 36 bi metal explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyAFC8 View Post
    Popped into my local AD and they have not had a single interest registered on the 36 bi metal explorer.
    Really? I expect they'll end up knocking them out for £300 a go on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Really? I expect they'll end up knocking them out for £300 a go on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I put my name down for a new SS Explorer 1 within 1.5 hours of it being announced and so quite excited as this will be the first new watch I have purchased for over 8 years. I had thought about the previous model before but the new size swung it for me.
    One question, on reading through the info posted above, it appears that the crystal has an AR coating along with all new Rolex models since 2020. Does anyone know if this coating is on the inside or the outside of the Crystal? If on the outside how robust is the coating, any information out there?

Blog Entries

this is the 39mm. I believe a lot has to do with perception. This is the same watch seen at different distances - I believe we have become accustomed to close up phone shots with distorted reality. The first shows what it looks like to other people and without camera distortion.

Here is the same watch in standard phone shot mode. The look is quite different and could be perceived as too large. But it’s the same one.

Finally a comparison shot with another 39mm watch:

And my 35mm air-king - (which I think is too small for me)

Saying all that - I’m sure the 36mm will sell like hot cakes (if you can find them). Also when trying on DJ the 36mm with fluted bezel is my favourite!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th April 2021 at 09:09.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    this is the 39mm. I believe a lot has to do with perception. This is the same watch seen at different distances - I believe we have become accustomed to close up phone shots with distorted reality. The first shows what it looks like to other people and without camera distortion.

Here is the same watch in standard phone shot mode. The look is quite different and could be perceived as too large. But it’s the same one.

Saying all that - I’m sure the 36mm will sell like hot cakes (if you can find them). Also when trying on DJ the 36mm with fluted bezel is my favourite!
    I totally agree with you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

A favourite topic, with no obvious solution. But what strikes me is how quickly perceptions change. After a short time on the wrist, lots of sizes seem ‘fine.’ And other people couldn’t care less. For me, up to 43mm seadweller is ok, although the bulk, the thickness, seems the most obvious thing. For instance, the slim 42mm Yachtmaster doesn’t seem any larger than my old Daytona. Which is a similar thickness. The size of the bracelet/strap is also influential.
    So I don’t think there is a simple answer.

Master
    I bought my 39mm Explorer in 2014 and it was the blingy short hand model. The saleman who sold it was wearing a 36mm model and to be honest the difference in size was not that noticeable. . It was the bling that stood out, not the size.