closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rolex 2021 April 7th Release Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mlcamb330 View Post
    As a polar Explorer II owner, I was interested in the re-spin, but am struggling to tell the difference (apart from the new movement). Side by side pics suggest the bezel numbers are slightly larger but thinner and maybe the lugs are a little slimmed down? ( old on left, new on right)
    The only difference I can see is on the black dial.

Really conflicted, I was really excited for a 50th anniversary Explorer II but it's just a movement update on the white and a hand/hour market change on the black?

I did express interest the other week in a new Explorer II but I'm not 100% sure now. I sold my Explorer II two or three years ago and don't really want to buy the same watch twice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Explorer two tone probably the worst watch I’ve ever seen. Can’t believe it looks so bad.
    Give it a month and it’ll be yours from WF for £12,000.

What's the point of the configure-your-own capability on the website if you can't then order one? You can see what configuration you're never going to own. It's not exactly a "release" date is it as nobody can buy anything today. Surely it would have been better for business if they'd made huge numbers of every watch available to order / purchase today? That would have instantly ripped the arse out of the grey market and given them a massive volume of sales and therefore profit?

The strangling of supply has been going on for a few years now and I just don't get it. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't affect me one jot but does affect many TZers who just want to buy a new Rolex. It all seems pointless to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Looking forward to a chorus of ‘I am so disappointed by this years releases’ tomorrow:-)

Not convinced the 36mm Explorer will be any more popular than the 39mm in the non WIS world, but time will tell. Glad the Pepsi is largely unchanged, either bracelet looks good to me, but I'd probably choose the Oyster if there was choice.

Nice to see the EXP2 still there and having the new 70hr movement. Was hoping for more changes to make it worthwhile changing but will probably stick with the previous model now.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

love that.
    So do I but as much as I like stuff most on here don't I'm not sure even I could pull off a palm leaf dial. But maybe I could with my cherry blossom and soon to arrive lizard tattoos! Personally I think the gold/steel Explorer looks the dog's doo-dahs.

FTFY

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

Not convinced the 36mm Explorer will be any more popular than the 39mm in the non WIS world, but time will tell. Glad the Pepsi is largely unchanged, either bracelet looks good to me, but I'd probably choose the Oyster if there was a choice, which there won't be so all a bit pointless really.

Nice to see the EXP2 still there and having the new 70hr movement. Was hoping for more changes to make it worthwhile changing but will probably stick with the previous model now.

I'm quite pleased I bought a 39mm Explorer 1 in January. I was on the fence about it but clearly it should do well looking forwards. Still unworn as I did wonder whether it would get the chop.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    I'm quite pleased I bought a 39mm Explorer 1 in January. I was on the fence about it but clearly it should do well looking forwards. Still unworn as I did wonder whether it would get the chop.
    Bang goes the only new Rolex I would have considered buying. I’m obviously not the target market...

Journeyman
    Agree with those that are saying the two tone Explorer 36 is hideous in the images provided. It just looks so old fashioned. However, one of my favourite IWCs is the Mark XII in gold on a black strap. The new two tone Explorer 36 might just work on a strap.

Craftsman
    Registered my interest for the 36mm Exp I :)

It'll be a fat chance, but I hope another man's trash will be my treasure in this case.

I’m gutted at the loss of the 39mm 214270 Explorer; I had my name down for one at my AD’s. It’s a perfect size for my wrist. The new two tone is wrong on so many levels.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    FTFY
    Awwww.......
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 7th April 2021 at 12:36.

Craftsman
    Looks like Rolex is content with the demand in their 39-41mm range and have opted to downsize the Exp I / release the DJ36 to specifically target this wrist size.

Know a few people who’ve always wanted a 36mm sports model given their wrist size and this could be it for them - but a very fair few.

Master
    The GMT2 looks so much better on the oyster bracelet, and conversely the Skydweller looks better on a jubilee.
    Disappointed in the EXP2, not really marking 50th anniversary, but maybe something will be pulled out of the bag later this year?
    The TT explorer is just hideous, only my opinion of course.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Seems a shame not to wear it really.

It seems a shame and rather peculiar to buy any watch and not wear it, let alone a really expensive one. Unless of course the motivation to purchase was profit.

Someone at Rolex must be taking the mick....that new Explorer 2 is identical to the last one yet if you read the website blurb, you'd believe every feature of the watch was a total revolution.

I also think Rolex took a leaf out of Apple's book with the explorer. Make the model bigger and call it new then make the model smaller and call it new. Look at our new product in a smaller size....hang on wasn't it that size years ago?

No option for brushed center links in the configurator. Not that I expected it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new Explorer is the old one. The two tone is on the same thinking of the SD. When you run out of ideas, make it two tone.

Next year, Explorer 2 two tone.

Master
    I like the new Explorer. It fixes the main thing I didn't like about the (1)114270, the lack of lumed numerals.

Master
    Amazing to see the Explorer back at 36mm. The 39mm seemed a touch large, but I suspect the perfect size would be somewhere in between. One day Rolex will discover 38mm, for oyster perpetuals and Datejusts too, there’s a yawning gap in the range right where the sweet spot is.

The palm leaf DJ is strangely entertaining. Good for wearing in the garden. But the two tone Explorer is like one of those feverish lockdown inspired nightmares, I can only assume it will be ‘rare’.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    The GMT2 looks so much better on the oyster bracelet, and conversely the Skydweller looks better on a jubilee.
    Disappointed in the EXP2, not really marking 50th anniversary, but maybe something will be pulled out of the bag later this year?
    The TT explorer is just hideous, only my opinion of course.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Liking the look of the skydweller on jubilee, always thought that it would be better due to the fluted bezel, however it is a heavy watch.

Master
    What's the point of the configure-your-own capability on the website if you can't then order one? You can see what configuration you're never going to own. It's not exactly a "release" date is it as nobody can buy anything today. Surely it would have been better for business if they'd made huge numbers of every watch available to order / purchase today? That would have instantly ripped the arse out of the grey market and given them a massive volume of sales and therefore profit?

The strangling of supply has been going on for a few years now and I just don't get it. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't affect me one jot but does affect many TZers who just want to buy a new Rolex. It all seems pointless to me.
    PostieMickP will be along to educate you shortly

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    One day Rolex will discover 38mm, for oyster perpetuals and Datejusts too, there’s a yawning gap in the range right where the sweet spot is.
    ’.
    I find that most Rolex models wear bigger than there suggested size especially the 6 digit reference. The DateJust 36mm defiantly wears like a 38mm model on the wrist.

Just guessing of course but I’d say Rolex are right where they want to be with the supply/demand balancing act.

I think moving the Explorer back to 36mm is quite an unexpected move from Rolex, as is the oyster options on the GMTs. I agree that the two tone explorer is hideous!

Does this mean values on 14270 / 114270 will dip?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I think moving the Explorer back to 36mm is quite an unexpected move from Rolex, as is the oyster options on the GMTs. I agree that the two tone explorer is hideous!

Does this mean values on 14270 / 114270 will dip?
    This would be my guess. Virtually no difference from an aesthetic perspective, but comes with
    - better movement / power reserve,
    - MUCH better bracelet (unless you prefer the hollow linked feel)
    - fully lumed 3,6,9 which wasn't available on the 14270 /114270

For most people that's a good package.

I like that they went back to 36mm for the Exp 1, should never have been 39mm in the first place

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    I guess this years releases should just be named ‘project tinker’ as on the surface they’ve just done a bit of tinkering - update a model that looks like the last model, change the odd dial, swap a bracelet here and there and bang job done!

Offering the oyster and jubilee on the GMT’s make a lot of sense though.

Well I like the steel 36mm Explorer, and the new Black 42mm ExpII fixes the issues I had with the old black dial version. Skydweller looks great on Jubilee, and Oyster on the new GMT’s is a nice to have too.
    It's just a matter of time...

Well without the “configure-your-own” it would take potential customers ages to wade through the 1,500 or so various combinations of DateJust.

You know the ones that Rolex sell in massive numbers to the majority of their customers in the real world of folk who are not obsessed by value retention, shortage of supply etc...

Master
    Every year Rolex issue new releases and every year you witness a pack of hounds saying "what a disaster" and then demand becomes even stronger, so Rolex have a track record of getting it right whilst we don't.

Having said that, I like the idea of a 36mm Explorer but not in two tone. However it will almost certainly sell like hot cakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Absolutely!
    3-6-9 only works on smaller dials!
    What tosh .....

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Having said that, I like the idea of a 36mm Explorer but not in two tone. However it will almost certainly sell like hot cakes.
    Lucky then that you can have it in plain old steel.

Master
    Website today seems to be awful (on mobile at least)

No clear link on what actually has been released

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I’m gutted at the loss of the 39mm 214270 Explorer; I had my name down for one at my AD’s. It’s a perfect size for my wrist. The new two tone is wrong on so many levels.
    Was all set to put my name down for one as soon as the ADs opened up again. Looks like that ship has sailed!

Yeaaah no ceramic bezel on the "new"? Explorer 11, 70 hr power makes no difference to me , so my exp11 still looks like the new one to all intense and purpose and saves me buying one :-)

I am glad I bought a 39mm Explorer 1 last year, I absolutely love it, I wear it more than any other Rolex sports watch that I own.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch1956 View Post
    Yeaaah no ceramic bezel on the "new"? Explorer 11, 70 hr power makes no difference to me , so my exp11 still looks like the new one to all intense and purpose and saves me buying one :-)
    New hands on the Explorer II it’s all in the details

Jubilee on sky dweller looks ugly looks better on oyster..
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    Liking the look of the skydweller on jubilee, always thought that it would be better due to the fluted bezel, however it is a heavy watch.

It's part of a collection and will be worn eventually.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I find that most Rolex models wear bigger than there suggested size especially the 6 digit reference. The DateJust 36mm defiantly wears like a 38mm model on the wrist.
    For me the 36mm Datejust defines how 36mm wears, and other 36s wear large or small compared to that. Something like the Omega Aqua Terra 38mm defines 38mm for me, and is a noticeably larger size, but without the slightly oversized feeling of the Rolex 39mm and 41mm Oysters. I guess you invent your own system though, depending on what you have to hand.

Master
    So glad explorer 2 didn’t go ceramic, that would have been a mistake as the brushed metal bezel really defines the look. Though they could have changed it up a little to make it more exciting.

The explorer returning to 36mm is a good move, connoisseur sports watch and they have too many sports model in the 40 area.

I’m also surprised they haven’t cut a few of the Daytona models down as the line up is vast.

36mm is the 50th Anniversary model.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    So do I but as much as I like stuff most on here don't I'm not sure even I could pull off a palm leaf dial. But maybe I could with my cherry blossom and soon to arrive lizard tattoos! Personally I think the gold/steel Explorer looks the dog's doo-dahs.
    I’d like to be the first to propose a tedious “street name” for this one
    “OP Cannabis”. Or “OP compost”
    Don’t hate it as much as I should...

The two tone explorer is so outrageous I like it. Is something wrong with me?

Wonder if rolex 36mm means 36mm in the metric system.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    The new Explorer is the old one. The two tone is on the same thinking of the SD. When you run out of ideas, make it two tone.

Next year, Explorer 2 two tone.
    I’m up for that.

Blog Entries
    The 124270 gets my vote. I’ll skip the rest. But the 124060 is a better fit for me so maybe will leave that one
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 7th April 2021 at 14:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Every year Rolex issue new releases and every year you witness a pack of hounds saying "what a disaster" and then demand becomes even stronger, so Rolex have a track record of getting it right whilst we don't.
    I think they do often get it wrong, but they sell a good product from a the world's most recognised luxury brand. Banksy could stencil a turd and the demand would be huge.

Labelling a disaster is fair enough when the new release of an ExpII is the same as the old one, the Oyster bracelet on the GMT, they've done that before, and an Explorer in 36mm - it'd be revolutionary had they not already done that before too. Rolex seem to be brand that looks to the future not the past, yet here they are going through the back catalogue on new release day.

Of course all models will be an instant sell out in today's market, but so would a Sub on an Oysterflex, a Coke GMT, a ceramic bezel ExpII and white dial Explorer.

With social media, internet blogs, forums etc. it's never been easier for brands to listen to customers to find out what they really want, yet nobody asked for a two tone Explorer. Ever.

Still demand for the Submariner 41mm will be as strong as ever, because occasionally they get it bang on.

Removing the 39MM Explorer seems an odd move as I doubt 36mm Bi Colour and 39mm Steel are the same client.... Maybe it will come back next year with a light facelift.

I LOVE the Palm Datejust but I'm not sure I'll buy one.. I might be brave