closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The Rolex 2021 April 7th Release Thread

Master
    Just another point on the sizes. A lot of the modern Rolex are actually a different to size to that which is marketed. Would be interesting to find out the caliper measurement on the 36mm new Explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Just another point on the sizes. A lot of the modern Rolex are actually a different to size to that which is marketed. Would be interesting to find out the caliper measurement on the 36mm new Explorer.
    36mm by 12mm apparently. Was expecting thinner case though..

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I bought my 39mm Explorer in 2014 and it was the blingy short hand model. The saleman who sold it was wearing a 36mm model and to be honest the difference in size was not that noticeable. . It was the bling that stood out, not the size.
    That was exactly my feeling when trying on the 39mm Explorer a few years ago. I wasn't really 'Rolex aware' at the time, perhaps because it had a lower profile then, but wanted to try the Explorer. I was wearing an IWC Mark XV, which I thought was a pretty smart watch, especially on the bracelet, but it looked very plain against the Explorer. I was really surprised by the shiny bling factor and didn't really understand the watch as a result - it didn't feel like one thing or the other. Now of course I think that bling factor is there in pretty much all modern Rolexes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    36mm by 12mm apparently. Was expecting thinner case though..
    Just measured my 114270 and it is 11mm thick so the new 36mm had got a little thicker.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    this is the 39mm. I believe a lot has to do with perception. This is the same watch seen at different distances - I believe we have become accustomed to close up phone shots with distorted reality. The first shows what it looks like to other people and without camera distortion.

A point well made. However I’ve come to the conclusion that a watch that fits well is one that looks good from both close up and from a distance. You should never have to think, ‘It looks a bit too big when I’m checking the time but that’s because I’m close to it, it’s probably fine from over there’. If checking the time puts a smile on your face and seeing it in a full length mirror does too, then it fits.

Of course, I agree that how it looks from 10cm away through the distorting wide angle lens on a phone is completely irrelevant.

I note that the EXPLORER text has been moved up the dial. Hmm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I note that the EXPLORER text has been moved up the dial. Hmm.
    More accurately it was moved down on the previous generation models to fill the huge dial

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    More accurately it was moved down on the previous generation models to fill the huge dial
    Good point.

Think I might have preferred it left at the bottom.
    Last edited by Justin Case; 14th April 2021 at 19:45.

So interestingly I've now managed to build 'you can buy a Rolex now' status with WOS. In the past 4 months I've bought 2 Grand Seikos and Speedy Pro and I was today offered the new Sub Date.

I declined it (hopefully more brownie points) as I don't like the cyclops and buying it knowing I'd sell it is just suicide for that relationship however I thought it might be interesting to share what I'd bought. I don't know if WOS have data on the Goldsmiths and Tag Heuer Boutiques (run by Goldsmiths) as in Sept I have a Tag 120th Anniversary from TH Boutique and 2 weeks ago the King Seiko release from Goldsmiths. Maybe they have line of sight on that and it all 'counts'? Not a single Rolex purchase and I'm supposedly blacklisted by Fraser Hart (which got taken over by Mappin and Webb (part of the WOS group) for the Rolex side) for the Danpd fiasco

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    So interestingly I've now managed to build 'you can buy a Rolex now' status with WOS. In the past 4 months I've bought 2 Grand Seikos and Speedy Pro and I was today offered the new Sub Date.

I declined it (hopefully more brownie points) as I don't like the cyclops and buying it knowing I'd sell it is just suicide for that relationship however I thought it might be interesting to share what I'd bought. I don't know if WOS have data on the Goldsmiths and Tag Heuer Boutiques (run by Goldsmiths) as in Sept I have a Tag 120th Anniversary from TH Boutique and 2 weeks ago the King Seiko release from Goldsmiths. Maybe they have line of sight on that and it all 'counts'? Not a single Rolex purchase and I'm supposedly blacklisted by Fraser Hart (which got taken over by Mappin and Webb (part of the WOS group) for the Rolex side) for the Danpd fiasco
    Now that is interesting. I've been wondering if buying other brands counts towards becoming more of a preferred customer (obviously this whole concept rankles but hey ho that's life). I'm aiming for a polar Explorer 2 later this year, so I've been weighing up: buying a Seamaster from the nice AD in Bath vs getting one from a grey dealer. Obvs cheaper from the grey dealer, but if it gets me closer to the Explorer 2 it might be worth the extra few hundred quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

Of course, I agree that how it looks from 10cm away through the distorting wide angle lens on a phone is completely irrelevant.
    Small but important correction, it’s not the lens distortion that causes the big appearance, it’s the perspective. Try looking at the watch from the same distance and you’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jari37 View Post
    Now that is interesting. I've been wondering if buying other brands counts towards becoming more of a preferred customer (obviously this whole concept rankles but hey ho that's life). I'm aiming for a polar Explorer 2 later this year, so I've been weighing up: buying a Seamaster from the nice AD in Bath vs getting one from a grey dealer. Obvs cheaper from the grey dealer, but if it gets me closer to the Explorer 2 it might be worth the extra few hundred quid.
    I'd have thought that someone who just buys SS Sports Rolexes isn't an ideal customer at all as the AD could sell those watches to anyone. Someone who buys a range of brands at RRP (or minor discount) is probably who they want as they represent 'incremental' revenue to the AD whereas when I turned that Sub down yesterday it would have gone to the next person in the queue. Probably can't say the same thing for one of the Grand Seikos I bought.

Obviously if you splash the cash on a gold Day-Date etc that's another story etc but if your buying history is Sub, GMT2 and Deepsea it is doubtful you fit their ideal customer profile and will no doubt be classified as in 'allocation debt'. Think about it, you are paying £7k for something that is straight away worth £12k so they are in their eyes 'doing you a favour'. There is no risk to you the consumer at all and you aren't giving them money they would not obtain elsewhere straight away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    A point well made. However I’ve come to the conclusion that a watch that fits well is one that looks good from both close up and from a distance.

Totally agree. I don’t buy a watch that overhangs my wrist. For me that makes it uncomfortable and also feels too big for me.

I'd have thought that someone who just buys SS Sports Rolexes isn't an ideal customer at all as the AD could sell those watches to anyone. Someone who buys a range of brands at RRP (or minor discount) is probably who they want as they represent 'incremental' revenue to the AD whereas when I turned that Sub down yesterday it would have gone to the next person in the queue. Probably can't say the same thing for one of the Grand Seikos I bought.

Obviously if you splash the cash on a gold Day-Date etc that's another story etc but if your buying history is Sub, GMT2 and Deepsea it is doubtful you fit their ideal customer profile and will no doubt be classified as in 'allocation debt'. Think about it, you are paying £7k for something that is straight away worth £12k so they are in their eyes 'doing you a favour'. There is no risk to you the consumer at all and you aren't giving them money they would not obtain elsewhere straight away.
    You're right of course but there are other things to consider -- the chances of you flipping and getting them into trouble, where you're at in your 'buying career' at the AD, and the rumoured 3 models per year limit.

A friend was recently told a two tone SkyDweller he bought counted towards his "3 per year as that is now a hot piece". He thought buying that would help him get a steel model and wishes he didn't bother now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Small but important correction, it’s not the lens distortion that causes the big appearance, it’s the perspective. Try looking at the watch from the same distance and you’ll see.
    Nonetheless, the result is a wrist shot with a watch that appears not just larger and overhanging, but also cartoonishly bulbous. You could say the woman in these photos isn’t distorted by the wide angle lenses on the bottom right, she’s just shot from close up, but the effect is that she looks distorted, with a strangely narrow face and large nose. Of course there’s also the barrel distortion of some wide angle lenses, but that’s another story, I agree this (mostly) isn’t what’s causing the effect.

Craftsman

Yep thanks, makes sense. The dynamics of these transactions take a bit of getting your head around, but they're just a thing to be figured out. If I can get a decent discount on a SMP, I'll buy it at the AD & attempt to leverage that down the line. I've got job & age milestones coming up as well, so that might help a bit as well.

Master

The Rolex 2021 April 7th Release Thread

Yep thanks, makes sense. The dynamics of these transactions take a bit of getting your head around, but they're just a thing to be figured out. If I can get a decent discount on a SMP, I'll buy it at the AD & attempt to leverage that down the line. I've got job & age milestones coming up as well, so that might help a bit as well.
    “Job and age milestones “
    Do you mean it might help with the paying for the watch ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    “Job and age milestones “
    Do you mean it might help with the paying for the watch ?
    No, that's not what I mean. What I mean is I'll mention it, because i) it's true - I'll have worked 30 years in the NHS this year - and ii) I imagine that's one of their little tick boxes. Whatever helps really.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

No, that's not what I mean. What I mean is I'll mention it, because i) it's true - I'll have worked 30 years in the NHS this year - and ii) I imagine that's one of their little tick boxes. Whatever helps really.
    Good time to play the NHS card.

Craftsman
    Good time to play the NHS card.
    Yep I figured. There aren't many perks, but now would be the time.

'Clap for Carers' = 'Rolexes for Registrars' :)

Craftsman
    'Clap for Carers' = 'Rolexes for Registrars' :)
    Now you're talking

My experience with WOS group is buying any luxury watches gives you a history. That’s how I got my SD43 - my history had withered and I wrote to HQ to highlight my past - they indeed dug it out and must have waived it under the nose of the AD as he apologised as an oversight - I admitted I hadn’t spent so much in new watches thx last few years, but they were fine with me.
    Since then bought a Tudor GMT which I sold and they told me recently I’m on the allocation for a ND sub.... so just keep trying all aspects if it’s what you want I guess.

For what it’s worth I think the new Tudor panda dial looks an outstanding watch - trumping many of the Rolex sports models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

I declined it (hopefully more brownie points) as I don't like the cyclops and buying it knowing I'd sell it is just suicide for that relationship
    I think this is a big point. I was offered a 2 tone Daytona recently but turned it down, then got a call for what I want within a few weeks.

Master

Now that you mention it I'm 30 yrs with the NHS come August
    Bugger it-I'll ask for a green dial Daytona as recognitition from the AD

What do you know, I'm also celebrating my 30th year of, ahem, service. I'll settle for one of the green dial 5711's.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Were you able to register your interest over the phone/email or did you call in to store?

I was asked to visit the store last year “ to register my interest “ at my regular AD with I’ve got a long standing history.

Two problems,

1) my history didn’t make any difference to complying with “ company policy “.

2) We were ( are ) in the middle of a pandemic where unnecessary travel had to be avoided.

Despite my to me valid reasons for not travelling , they still insisted to which I refused, then they pointed out customers had travelled up to a hundred miles to register.

Utter madness.

Craftsman
    Well I do hope you're not being snarky. Both your replies sound like you might be being snarky, but it's hard to tell over the Internet isn't it? I'll assume not, so I hope you're having a nice day, fellow NHS monkey

The NHS obviously pays a lot better than the media would have you believe.

Well I do hope you're not being snarky. Both your replies sound like you might be being snarky, but it's hard to tell over the Internet isn't it? I'll assume not, so I hope you're having a nice day, fellow NHS monkey

Not snarky, just trying to get in on it

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I think this is a big point. I was offered a 2 tone Daytona recently but turned it down, then got a call for what I want within a few weeks.
    I was of the impression that the more u spend the more brownie points you get with them.... which means u build up to a 'grail' watch?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've just see my first pic of the "gardening Rolex" in TRW. Not bad but I suspect the design may tire after a while.

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I've just see my first pic of the "gardening Rolex" in TRW. Not bad but I suspect the design may tire after a while.

That’s a cracking ladies watch, I can’t see it on a mans wrist tbh. The tiny ladies models look very old fashioned (not in a good way) imho. I always think any traditional ladies watch looks like a ‘granny watch’ although I don’t with ageing eyesight any granny can tell the time in them! - this size and dial seems very ‘modern but feminine’ to my eyes

Master
    I think we may have found the Rolex you can lose money on!!

Mind you, I’m usually wrong in spotting Rolex price trends.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I think we may have found the Rolex you can lose money on!!

Mind you, I’m usually wrong in spotting Rolex price trends.
    It’s very niche but in the right place it could ultra cool. Think Miami or South of France.

Blog Entries
    The NHS obviously pays a lot better than the media would have you believe.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    After a 37 days wait I eagerly went to Goldsmiths this evening to pick up a gold/steel Explorer. I turned it down and walked out with an Omega Aquaterra instead. Looked small, felt small and “skinny” bracelet, all imo of course. Wears smaller than new 36mm Datejust and smaller than the old 36mm Explorer I think but it’s donkeys since I had one of those.

Master
    That size aspect is a little shocking to read, was expecting it to be the same as the other Rolex 36mm watches.

Journeyman
    I got mine yesterday. I had a Daytona on before putting it on and I was very shocked by the size. Thinking it’s probably me going from 40mm to a 36mm made me feel that way.

I’ve had it on all day today to get used to it and it just kept bugging me. From the size it just looked small. So I took out my vintage Datejust and did some comparisons. Then I saw it, the bracelet taper. It kind of makes it look like a 34/31mm watch with that taper.

Exp1 vs DJ 1601

It’s a shame as the head of the watch is perfect. I’ll see if it still bothers me after a few days otherwise I might give to one of my siblings.

Interesting to get honest opinion here on this, TRF is just full of fluff.

Will be glad to see one of these for myself, hopefully soon.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jackjack View Post
    I got mine yesterday. I had a Daytona on before putting it on and I was very shocked by the size. Thinking it’s probably me going from 40mm to a 36mm made me feel that way.

I’ve had it on all day today to get used to it and it just kept bugging me. From the size it just looked small. So I took out my vintage Datejust and did some comparisons. Then I saw it, the bracelet taper. It kind of makes it look like a 34/31mm watch with that taper.

Exp1 vs DJ 1601

It’s a shame as the head of the watch is perfect. I’ll see if it still bothers me after a few days otherwise I might give to one of my siblings.

You can certainly see the aggressive tapper, looking forward to trying one on and comparing it to the new Datejust.

Thank you for your honest thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    After a 37 days wait I eagerly went to Goldsmiths this evening to pick up a gold/steel Explorer. I turned it down and walked out with an Omega Aquaterra instead. Looked small, felt small and “skinny” bracelet, all imo of course. Wears smaller than new 36mm Datejust and smaller than the old 36mm Explorer I think but it’s donkeys since I had one of those.
    No doubt this sets the scene for the addition of an oversized Explorer next year, giving us the choice of too small and too large I’ve come to expect. I’m not surprised you walked out with the Aqua Terra, I’m guessing the perfectly proportioned 38, which IMO is exactly the size the Explorer should have been.

To sex it up it has a new nickname floating around “The Predator”...but somehow “The Gardener” fits better....can’t see Arnold or Carl Weathers wearing it in the jungle.....

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    To sex it up it has a new nickname floating around “The Predator”...but somehow “The Gardener” fits better....can’t see Arnold or Carl Weathers wearing it in the jungle.....
    Booooring, colloquially we're calling it the Ganja.

Exp1 vs DJ 1601

Thanks for feedback.

Do you think a strap will be too close and rub agains the case like on the 39mm Explorer? Or are the spring bar holes further away?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    We've got the Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, this must be the Carlton Palmer

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Thanks for feedback.

Do you think a strap will be too close and rub agains the case like on the 39mm Explorer? Or are the spring bar holes further away?

Cheers.
    I think there will be a slight rub with thicker straps. A calf strap would be fine. I’ve not removed the bracelet on this so hard to really say.

I think there will be a slight rub with thicker straps. A calf strap would be fine. I’ve not removed the bracelet on this so hard to really say.

Thanks. Please let us know if you do :)

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Mary Jane.

Children like comic book names.

Craftsman
    Then I saw it, the bracelet taper. It kind of makes it look like a 34/31mm watch with that taper.

Exp1 vs DJ 1601
    In the Bark and Jack video, he mentions that the bracelet tapers from 19mm down to 14mm at the clasp.

I know we're talking about small amounts, but they should have kept a 20mm width at the watch head, and then tapered down to 16mm (imho).