closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Things to do in Sheffield

Master

Things to do in Sheffield

Long story short - im chauffering a client to Sheffield and then back the following day however they want me to be 'on call' so will be staying overnight in sheffield - all expenses paid for :-)

Question is i will be on my own for a day and night with nothing to do - ive done these before and seldom get summoned whilst on call but never been to Sheffield.

So what to do - any ideas, it will probably a weekday in mid-late April.

cheers

The full Monty? Welding? I’ll get my coat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    The full Monty? Welding? I’ll get my coat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have no idea what that means? I havent watched the film so assume it is some reference to that...

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    I have no idea what that means? I havent watched the film so assume it is some reference to that...
    Ah in that case watch the full Monty movie for some ideas mate. Photos please

Master
    Leave is the best bet. Miserable city imo, I'm only here for work.

I guess it all depends what is open or not. Could you get up into the Peak District or Pennines for a few hours or do you have to stay in the city?

Have a brew and talk watches with Eddie in his garden.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Leave is the best bet. Miserable city imo, I'm only here for work.

I guess it all depends what is open or not. Could you get up into the Peak District or Pennines for a few hours or do you have to stay in the city?
    I have to be close by in case i get called - hardly ever happens but i am on the job so client comes first.

Master
    I dont know Sheffield other than the steel processors , but a quick google brings up

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...e_England.html

Steve

I'm hoping for some good ideas from this thread - my youngest starts the Dentistry course there in Sept.

We moved out to a village in the Peak District last summer, after 20 years of living in Sheffield. Both of us still work there.

Covid has had a huge impact on the city centre, and the recent news that John Lewis will be staying closed gives you an indication of the fortunes of the city centre. Some inept policy making by mediocre local decision makers has also contributed.

If you have a couple of hours spare, I would get in the car and have a walk in the Peaks somewhere. Most indoor attractions will still be closed in mid-April, which limits your options.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I'm hoping for some good ideas from this thread - my youngest starts the Dentistry course there in Sept.
    On an ongoing basis, Sheffield is almost in the Peak District which will provide a lifetime of enthralment. Actually in the city- well, I am not over familiar, but do recall that Kelham Island museum is a daysworth of mechanical fascination.

Master
    If you need to stay close to the city centre then I'd recommend the Botanical Gardens for a walk and Weston Park Museum if it's reopened by then. Also as previously mentioned Kelham island with steak pie for lunch in the Fat Cat if it's open by then.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Get your arse round to Eduardo's and help him with packing some watches!!!!

The best thing about Sheffield is its proximity to more interesting places.

I booked to see a play at the crucible with the wife a few years ago. We thought we’d make a day trip of it and explore the city before the evening performance. After a couple of hours we were at a loss and found ourselves strolling around a run-down John Lewis in the city centre.

People I know who live there praise the suburbs and quality of life though.

I’d line up a good film and relax in your hotel room.

How close have you got to be. You can be in Leeds within the hour, Royal Armouries is a good day and only a few mins from the Motorway should you need to run back to Sheffield. Fingers crossed its open by the end of April.

I lived and worked there for quite some time when It was a vibrant city - lock down has had it's inevitable affect, I think you should take a good book.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    When it reopens, the national video game museum is well worth a visit and located in the city centre:

https://thenvm.org/

Agree with other comments regarding Sheffield. A nice place to live, but the city centre is tired. We moved away a couple of years back, and I would expect the demise of John Lewis to accelerate the decline.

Tap 'Pat Dickinson Megatron' into YouTube. Don't forget to pack your wellies 😁

Isn’t the World Snooker Championship on in April? You could get a few hours sleep in The Crucible!

Not much, I went pre covid with the wife for a weekend break and was surprised how dead the city centre was. Looked very run down and I grew up near Middlesbrough!! Have no plans to ever return.

We ended up going to Meadowhall on the second day which could be the main cause for the city centre looking like it did.

Master
    And Meadowhall is hardly the best shopping mall in the country but I s'pose it boasts a Rolex AD (as still does the city centre of course).

I went in between the lockdowns, and much of it was really rather sad to see and felt rather like a husk of a city.

Fortunately, the Sheffield Tap (inside the station) was open and that was a fantastic place to spend a few hours, but that'll be closed whilst you're there. It's the only thing I'd consciously return for though (likely when waiting for a connecting train!).

For a walk around, the Botanical Gardens and Endcliffe Park were quite nice, but they're out south west from the centre.

Craftsman
    I have stayed over a couple of times as we have a customer in Sheffield.

Coming from Essex, a Tram is quite an exciting thing and Sheffield has one.

Journeyman
    Sheffield is a brilliant city and a great hub if you're interested in industrial heritage, walking, biking, scenic drives, stately homes, local beers etc. The west side of the city is on the edge of the peak district and is made up of lots of former small villages so there are some quirky little places with a character of their own and some proper woodlands between them.

Granted, the city centre is rubbish though

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    A couple of museums / attractions I can recommend, for when covid restrictions allow

Master
    Cheers guys, thanks for all the pointers.

Date confirmed as 20th April

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Master
    Looks like ive got another job, same MO as last time in the next several weeks, probably June. Hoping some more attractions have opened up this time.