closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kitchen Downdraft/Venting Extractor Hobs

Master

Kitchen Downdraft/Venting Extractor Hobs

The TZ Hive mind works well for many topics so thought I would try this.

Quite fancy the look of the Bora 2.0 Classic, but impossible to find the price, they operate the dealer model where you need to go into a kitchen showroom that will then do you a quote, so not transparent at all and a right faff. But they are the only one that do a modular system so you could have 2 induction hobs and 2 gas hobs for instance.

Then Ikea do a "budget" version https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/foerdelaktig-induction-hob-integrated-extractor-ikea-700-black-50449403/

Then in the middle there are Miele and Neff that are known quality names that do a whole variety of models.

Then a range of names and brands I've not heard of at AO and ApplianceCity

https://www.appliancecity.co.uk/cook...nduction-hobs/
    https://ao.com/l/9822/20/99/

So has anyone installed one?

Big issues for me are a) cupboard space required underneath and behind e.g. some models require an extra deep worktop (front to back).
    b) Noise - does the model sound like a jet engine even in quiet mode.
    c) Does the model actually work (I know the principle does)

There are a couple of positive reviews of the Ikea one on Youtube.

Craftsman
    I saw a downdraft one in use at a friend's (afraid I don't remember what brand) - for spicy foods like curries etc, it was simply not good enough. Given the rest of the kitchen was super premium, I don't think the issue was not enough money spent on a high enough quality one.

Just installed a new kitchen and changed the layout to the point that we didn’t want an overhead extractor fan and went with the downdraft version. Brand wise I’m not 100% certain as we had an independent bespoke fitter doing the whole shebang but I believe it’s either a Samsung or an unbranded Neff version (honestly I should’ve paid more attention but I just sign the cheques).

However, as I do most Of the cooking I can confirm that it exceptionally well, isn’t any more (or less) noisy than an overhead extractor and bugger me it’s cool as pressing the button and watching it rise up from the counter top.

Having gone from an overhead to downdraft I’d say there’s little to no difference in performance. It takes up some cupboard space but we designed that additional storage in during the design phase so no drama on that front if you have that option.

Blog Entries
    You can pick a Cookology one up for around £300- £400 looks like you need 300ml+ at the back of the hob though which is off putting

This version pops out of the worktop though

I barely every turn the things on to be honest though…
    Last edited by Wolfie; 31st March 2021 at 11:21.

We have the Bora X Pure and it is absolutely fantastic. We moved the hob to an island and also didn’t want a large extractor on the ceiling. It has been installed for six months or so and we are really pleased with it. It handles smells really well, even with the four pans, or a skillet for steaks where is just sucks the steam / smoke away.

Highly recommended.

We have a Bora Pura vented through an outside wall, works brilliantly, we did some experiments at work on overhead extraction for our LEV testing, anything more than 30 cm away hardly works

The main issue to ensure good performance with kitchen extractors is switching the extractor on 15 minutes before you start cooking... waiting till you notice steam is difficult for any extractor to deal with.

We have gone for a downdraft one, but we went with an external motor, to reduce the noise, works very well

Is it possible to have an external vent with these?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Is it possible to have an external vent with these?
    Do you mean vent or motor?

They can be vented to an external wall or recycling.

As for the motor, you def can with the pop up downdraft ones, as I have one. Ive not seen a in hob extractor that can have a external motor so far.

Master
    Here's the Bora Pricelist https://www.nextkitchen.rs/wp-conten...BPL0EN_img.pdf

the Miele is very sexy, I bought the AEG with 4 hobs and the central extraction for circa £2000

Master
    Bora Pure c£2600
    Bora Pure X c£3100

Other Boras - insane pricing

The recirculation ones aren't massively loud and you just chuck filter in dishwasher so no pipe kicking gresy air outside kitchen window etc, less building work needed to vent outside and more cupboard space.

Now need to see some AEG, Miele, Falmec, Elica in operation to see if Bora is worth the premium. Was very impressive in the showroom. Lead time is next February if place the order now.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Bora Pure c£2600
    Bora Pure X c£3100

Other Boras - insane pricing

The recirculation ones aren't massively loud and you just chuck filter in dishwasher so no pipe kicking gresy air outside kitchen window etc, less building work needed to vent outside and more cupboard space.

Now need to see some AEG, Miele, Falmec, Elica in operation to see if Bora is worth the premium. Was very impressive in the showroom. Lead time is next February if place the order now.
    we have had the Bora Pure for about 18 months now, it hasn't missed a beat, it just works, the only real competitor is the Miele, its about the same price, I don't like the Bora controls, they seem a bit clunky, the wife doesn't have any problem with them, I think they are more suited to small fingers.

Master
    I considered the down draft style but in the end I went a flat ceiling fan from Luxair https://luxairhoods.com/Ceiling-Cooker-Hoods/Slimline-Ceiling-Cooker-Hood. It looks like a light panel and in fact has a really good light in it. It extracts to the outside and works superbly well. Uses a remote to control it.

Master
    I looked at loads, then ended up going for an extendable neff canopy. Mix of noise, extraction & outside venting made it much more viable given we were gutting the entire kitchen & could pretty much do what we wanted as all getting skimmed after.

Would love to say if it was the correct decision based on the on-paper facts, but the venting only went in yesterday & skimmed today, in 4 weeks time I will know. It is about 4 x the extraction rate of our internal/recirc one in the previous set up, so am sure I will be impressed. Last time I had an external vent I was only 6ft from the outer wall & could get plumes of smoke / fat outdoors easily.

I have a down draft induction-one made by Faber called Galileo, big wide one…83cm
    Very pleased with easy to clean filter in the top and carbon filter behind plinth.
    Last edited by GOAT; 14th October 2021 at 20:56.