closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Innocent Joys

Master

Innocent Joys

March is a brilliant month, we gain 4.5 mins of daylight every day and this means we have 2 more hours of daylight at the end of the month than we did at the beginning and this raises the spirits no end. I was just wondering what other simple little joys boosts your spirits. Now that covid restrictions are being eased, we will see more of the family especially the grandchildren and that is the best morale booster of all.

Another simple pleasure we are looking forward too, restrictions permitting, is a trip to London and calling into the Ritz for afternoon tea. It is a brilliant experience and none of the other hotels such as Claridges or the Savoy can even remotely compare to it. If you haven't tried it, make sure you do as you will not regret it.

One pleasure I will definitely miss is taking a leisurely ride on a motorcycle in a summer evening through the Cotswolds. I have always had a British motorcycle in the garage ranging from a 125cc BSA Bantam up to a 1000cc Ariel Square four. My overall favourite has to be the 500cc Sunbeam S7, that was a lovely bike to ride. I tripped over and took a bad fall 18 months ago and suffered 6 months of bad pain due to a dislocated shoulder and this has scared me off riding bikes in case I fall off and really injure myself when riding at say 50mph. I sold my last bike last year and I knew I had to do it but I still regret it.

We joined the National Trust a few years ago and visiting their places is a great way to spend a day. It's relaxing, fulfilling and educational.

There is a forest near us that has acres and acres of bluebells in the spring and wandering through that lot is also wonderful.

Another joy I doubt I will do this year is having a quiet dip in the pool at midnight in Spain when the air is full of the scent from dozens of Jasmine trees in the area. It is a lovely cooling experience.

I also spend hours just watching the goldfish swimming around in the pool in our back garden. I don't know what the fascination is but the sound of the water cascading over the fountain is almost hypnotic. A glass of gin and tonic makes the experience all the better.

Finally I have a magnolia tree in the front garden that I planted in the early 1990s and it is just breaking into flower and the scent has to be experienced to be believed.

All very simple pleasures, do you have any similar ones.

Nice post.

I love spring and early summer. Sitting on our roof terrace before the unbearable heat of summer begins, with home-cooked food and surrounded by our pack of hounds is a priceless simple pleasure for me.

Blog Entries
    What a nice post…

Seeing daffs pop up and spring bloom on threes in my Garden is nice

Always having the dogs being pleased to see me

Seeing a wall I plastered not actually being cr@p was hugely pleasurable

Getting a call for a vaccine (despite being a relative nipper) meaning I am that little bit closer to giving my Mum a hug

Couple of things spring to mind.

Yesterday while taking a break from work looking out the window watching my son practice his keep ups in the garden and seeing how chuffed he got when he got to 4 after about an hour of trying put me in a great mood and a smile on my face.

Sitting with the wife and watching the world go by

Seeing the spring blooms and the blossom.

Being able to take Dot across the fields without getting my boots caked in mud.

Being able to just sit out in the garden with a crossword or book.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Seeing how happy my 11 year old daughter was yesterday, on her birthday, even though it's her second birthday in lockdown so no party with her friends yet again. She also waited very patiently for her older sister to come home from school before opening her presents. Made me smile seeing her smile😀

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I watched the newts in our pond yesterday for a good 10 mins, they are funny little buggers.

Master
    A great idea for a thread. Thanks for starting it Mick P.

Lunch is the garden, in the warm sun. It cheered me up tremendously yesterday.
    A long walk in the late afternoon. My walks during lockdown have been generally been early in the day and often hurried to fit between work calls. There is some lovely green space near me and a leisurely stroll in a real joy.
    Games in the garden (badminton, croquet, French cricket, whatever) with the family.
    Sitting outside after dinner with a good book and a drink in the evening sun. Maybe that post lockdown cigar I've been keeping.

I've just enjoyed a slow walk round the village in the sun without a jacket on and really enjoyed it. Time to breath and think. The sunshine and brighter evenings make a huge difference.

I took the long way to Tesco yesterday with the roof off, feeling the warming sun on my face was just glorious. Shades on and music turned up, might have looked like a knob but I don't really care. Then I felt ill last night and even worse this morning, now I'm waiting for my C19 test result, I'm hoping it's just a bad cold... Grrr.

Having moved in to my new place late Jan I'm looking forward to getting things as I like, I can be a bit selfish as it's just me. When all is done, and there's quite a bit to do, it'll be the best house warming party ever. Good company, banter, the smell of BBQ'd food and a beer or three - yes please. Quite like the idea of celebrating with a cigar and my best malt, I know one or two close friends that I'd happily share the moment with and that the feeling would be mutual.

Seeing my two nieces properly for the first time in so many months trumps all the above though, by some margin.

Craftsman
    I sat in the sun in the garden for a nice hour today.
    I was hoping the solitary bees might start emerging from their bamboo winter homes but it’s still a bit early.
    I also love watching the birds on the feeders, we live close to some woods and get an amazing selection of visitors.

Took the car out of the garage yesterday, only covered 1000 miles since the last service a year ago so needed a run. Roof down in the sunshine, lockdown hair and beard blowing in the wind like a BeeGee! Popped to the beach and had a cup of coffee from the takeaway - just watched a handful of people and seagulls on the beach, remembering what normal feels like, before a sedate drive back on a route through small villages. All ‘local’ so kept within the rules but certainly lifted the spirits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the other day about my two children who love play fighting with me and one will shout pile on, with me being under the pile. I enjoy seeing them enjoying simple activities such as jigsaws and colouring in. It is sometimes easy to forget that we can have innocent joys, especially the last year. The OPs post is a good reminder.

I have been going for a lunch break walk and notice the rows of daffodils. Amazing how a normal mundane road suddenly looks a picture.

Great thread, Mick.

I like the last few photons of sunlight as they fire over the distant horizon and change the colour of the sky.

A perfect spring day today at Helmsley, North Yorks. Daffodils out, a babbling brook, not too busy...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    March is a brilliant month, we gain 4.5 mins of daylight every day and this means we have 2 more hours of daylight at the end of the month than we did at the beginning and this raises the spirits no end.
    And just over 10 weeks until the days start getting shorter again.

I'll get me coat...

Master

Innocent Joys

Not happened yet as weather not good enough but coming home from work and a relaxing seat outside in the evening sun with a bottle of beer.
    The first grass cut(2 weeks ago) is always satisfying.
    Another is an evening game of golf in the setting sun by the sea
    Last edited by Hood; 30th March 2021 at 22:33.

Great thread Mick. Thanks for starting.

Breakfast on the patio with my wife. A cold lemonade while admiring the grass after cutting it. The radio on while I work with the window open and a breeze coming through - unimaginable in the office. Morning coffee on the patio in complete silence. A pit stop for coffee and a croissant each on our weekend walk. Working daily in shorts and a t-shirt.

Just watching my son develop and grow up.

Walking my dog along a beach and just watching waves Lap onto the shore. Any water actually - I find water very soothing and calming.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Recently divorced and off this week with my 11 year old daughter. Watching her gain confidence and the pride in showing her mum yesterday how quickly she’s learnt to skateboard since Sunday when I gave her the board with the pineapples on it that she wanted.
    Bike rides and more skateboard practice with her today and her being so happy that the gel seat I got for her bike ( at her request) was so much more comfortable. We’re taking the bikes to a national Trust place in the morning, taking a walk, looking at the flowers and animals and just generally enjoying being with each other.
    Last year was awful and the divorce was horrible but my ex and I are very amicable now and my daughter is far happier as a result... this gives me more joy than anything on this earth and spending quality time together is so precious.

Master
    Granddaughters.
    A five year old one(going on 50) telling me all about how I should run my life.
    A 6 week old one, who has not yet started doing so.

Love them both.

Oh -and after the weather yesterday, running in just t-shirt and shorts, then the same on the bike.

Being out running in shorts again.

I'm an archer, and we were allowed out shooting again yesterday. Being out on the field on a spring evening in good weather is a glorious thing. I find something meditative in shooting, and there's a lovely micro-climate on the field we shoot on, so it's just a wide open space with the rhythm of people shooting. Just pleasing.

Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman
    I love this time of year as well and even without the recent lockdown I feel it’s been a long and cold winter so being able to venture out without wrapping up in several layers is feels magic.

We went for a walk up the local hills the other day and visited an area that I haven’t seen in over 20 years. My 10 year old daughter tried her hand using the Pano option on my phone for the first time and cackled away at some of the failed attempts which always makes me laugh.

Happy days.

Here was her favourite attempt.

You ask them to smile! my innocent joys today! off up to Newcastle.

Just to add that grass roots sport is back so my grandsons will be back training on Saturday for matches on Sunday which I love to watch.

They have a TV crew coming to film them at training on Saturday so they all have to wear their kits this week. Apparently its a film about Gareth Southgate and my Grandsons are at his old club.

http://www.oldpalace.org.uk/selsdonv-junior-fc.htm
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    An early morning swim in the North Sea. It's a fabulous way to start the day.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I was cutting the grass today when a lady ran past sporting a magnificent pair of titties. The sun shone a little bit brighter as she bounced past.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    A draught pint of Belhaven best.

Golf has resumed and the weather has been glorious - very thankful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching the two older girls at football training tonight. Great to be back at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    You ask them to smile! my innocent joys today! off up to Newcastle.

This made me smile!
    I've a herniated disc and been stuck in a bedroom for a good while. This afternoon my wife set out some cushions in the garden and a few friends came round. Birdsong, friendly banter and a fire pit was trully a wonderfull experience.