closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: JLC Perptual Calendar

Blog Entries

JLC Perptual Calendar

I'm looking at one of these as a possible next purchase as a perpetual is a fascinating complication (to me) but I would cull a sports watch from a well known brand in the process. Madness or diversity?

It is the legacy 140.8.80.S in steel (not precious metal) and 37mm : looks like this:

Master
    Something I have considering more seriously recently, not necessarily JLC but in the same vein.

JLC Perptual Calendar

I’m JLC biased but I think that is lovely, and dare I say the layout gets some details right that another more illustrious maker gets wrong in my eyes (e.g. the centre pinion doesn’t overlap any of the subdials, I like the year window etc.).

Someone will post about JLC servicing shortly but you have enough nice watches to have made your own mind up - not an issue for me, or at least not exclusive to JLC.

I like chunky divers but how many do you need (wrote the man with 20 Helvetias)?

Forget the JLC. Sell your current Patek and buy a 5140.

Master
    At 37mm dial is getting too small to actually read !

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I ditched a Rolex sports for a Reverso last year, or the year before I cant remember.

Afar more interesting watch overall and a decision I don’t regret. That said I do still have a Rolex sports so my collection is a little more diverse for it.

Go for it.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

The principle and engineering is very interesting Martyn, not for me in reality (I rarely set the date these days!).

Diversity is always good in my book.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

A really lovely watch, and the black dial model of theirs is one of my grails.

Deterred by it? A little...as noted above, the servicing costs are likely to be painful. But you won't buy one of these without knowing that, so no nasty surprises for you.

A lovely watch.

Master
    If you’re sure Martyn I’d go for it but be sure - almost ever watch ‘I think’ I want to buy ends up costing me money when I sell it at a loss. At least with your well known watch you’re unlikely to lose on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    If you’re sure Martyn I’d go for it but be sure - almost ever watch ‘I think’ I want to buy ends up costing me money when I sell it at a loss. At least with your well known watch you’re unlikely to lose on it.
    Ah, the 'paradigm'.

Over the last 30 odd years I have either returned what I paid or lost a little. For me it's about the owning/enjoyment - if it's simply down to the balance sheet then for me it's being over analysed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    At 37mm dial is getting too small to actually read !
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    A really lovely watch, and the black dial model of theirs is one of my grails.

Deterred by it? A little...as noted above, the servicing costs are likely to be painful. But you won't buy one of these without knowing that, so no nasty surprises for you.

A lovely watch.
    The silver dial one above has been OEM service in Jan 2021. I have seen a black dial but the more modern version (39mm) for similar price - not quite so recently serviced..

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I ditched a Rolex sports for a Reverso last year, or the year before I cant remember.

Afar more interesting watch overall and a decision I don’t regret. That said I do still have a Rolex sports so my collection is a little more diverse for it.

Go for it.
    I am planning on doing the same. The Reverso is unlike any other watch and JLC are a great understated brand.

The perpetual calendar looks stunning, would need to be kept on a winder I presume.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Ah, the 'paradigm'.

Over the last 30 odd years I have either returned what I paid or lost a little. For me it's about the owning/enjoyment - if it's simply down to the balance sheet then for me it's being over analysed.
    Who said it was simply down to the balance sheet? Nearly every watch I think I want to try, turns out thinking it wasn’t enough and I should have been more certain and i sold at a loss. I imagine the watch Martyn is looking at loses money unless buying pre owned, hence why I said to be sure. That’s all.

Who said it was simply down to the balance sheet? Nearly every watch I think I want to try, turns out thinking it wasn’t enough and I should have been more certain and i sold at a loss. I imagine the watch Martyn is looking at loses money unless buying pre owned, hence why I said to be sure. That’s all.
    Sorry, I was 'generalising' rather than commenting on your post in isolation.

Blog Entries
    I'm looking pre-owned. But even so - perpetuals are harder to shift and would incur a loss if I sold on, compared to the watches that seem to be difficult to get hold of. I do have an option of keeping the "well known sport" watch and get the perpetual. I have some money coming back for the Zenith Chronomaster Sport that sadly had to be returned (for full refund) to Zenith. Head scratching me thinks..

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

Go for it.
    Great choice.

This one keeps me awake at night. Probably too small for my tastes.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    Great choice.

This one keeps me awake at night. Probably too small for my tastes.

I went with the triple Calendar which comes in the bigger size

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    I've often considered one of these as look lovely, but the numerous threads on an expensive and negative service experience have stopped me pressing the button to date..

Master
    Very nice watch.

I know the complications are different, but if it was me I’d probably just wear your awesome Patek when you wanted that style of watch on the wrist.

That said, it’s steel vs gold and all that. Toughie.

A Reverso would be an interesting option, maybe one with complications to keep it even more interesting?

Craftsman
    I prefer the JLC moon phase actually, more decorative.

Craftsman
    I had serious a look the Reverso Tribute Calendar during lockdown but didn’t last long when I heard JLC recommended a 2 year service interval - knowing how they really push the service costs it was an instant no-no. Gorgeous looking watch killed by over zealously chasing revenue through service costs.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It’s a proper complicated watch from a genuine high end manufacturer and good value on that basis however the dial layout is quite similar to your annual calendar. For about the same money you could get a new GO Senator Perpetual with a more interesting dial layout?

Blog Entries
    All useful information, all told the JLC is looking less attractive - the GO looks a very interesting difference. It’s a little bigger at 42mm so I need to check how it would wear.

Master
    Do you think you may be one among many who have the buying bug? I only ask because you know , of course, that your Patel is the better watch....why would you want a mildly inferior option? It would still be good, but not a Patek. Might it be fun to wear the Patek more often? Glorious watch, after all.
    ‘Less is more.’

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    It’s a proper complicated watch from a genuine high end manufacturer and good value on that basis however the dial layout is quite similar to your annual calendar. For about the same money you could get a new GO Senator Perpetual with a more interesting dial layout?
    Going a bit off topic but noticed this GO deal, nice watch for the money.

https://www.chisholmhunter.co.uk/gla...RoCzNwQAvD_BwE

I second the idea of selling the Patek and add the money towards a Patek PC, not sure I say this just because I tried to buy your Patek .. 🤔

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Do you think you may be one among many who have the buying bug? I only ask because you know , of course, that your Patel is the better watch....why would you want a mildly inferior option? It would still be good, but not a Patek. Might it be fun to wear the Patek more often? Glorious watch, after all.
    ‘Less is more.’
    You do have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    I second the idea of selling the Patek and add the money towards a Patek PC, not sure I say this just because I tried to buy your Patek .. 樂
    I'd probably have to sell 90% of my collection to bridge that gap. Never say never. One day watch (Patek PC 5327R) + one sport / action (probably Rolex). Liquidate the rest... aggghhh.

Master
    I'd probably have to sell 90% of my collection to bridge that gap. Never say never. One day watch (Patek PC 5327R) + one sport / action (probably Rolex). Liquidate the rest... aggghhh.[/QUOTE]

That reminds me of a chat I had with a Patek AD a few weeks back when I was looking at rose gold options on a DD40 (olive or chocolate dial) and I asked what options they might have with Patek. He said I could probably get you a XYZ within a year if you wanted it. We’d have to order it specially but think we could get you one. I wasn’t familiar with the watch so he guided me through the website to it over the phone. . . . . It was about 160k or 170k! (Was something like the 5270/1R but can’t recall exactly).

Whether I could afford it or not is irrelevant as I’d never have so much in one watch, nor would I sell a collection to buy just one. I guess from his point of he never knows what people can or cannot afford and has to act in the same professional.

I found it quite amusing but casually steered it back to ‘what Rolex watches do you have currently?’. He went through everything and I end up with the new white gold sub which I’m very pleased with.

Master
    Here’s my JLC PC. Just love it. 39mm, automatic. Setting is amazingly easy. All you need to do is push one button to adjust everything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    Here’s my JLC PC. Just love it. 39mm, automatic. Setting is amazingly easy. All you need to do is push one button to adjust everything.
    Well - that looks quite different from my Patek! 39mm right?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Well - that looks quite different from my Patek! 39mm right?
    Yep! And to me that looks awesome! What’s your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I'm looking at one of these as a possible next purchase as a perpetual is a fascinating complication (to me) but I would cull a sports watch from a well known brand in the process. Madness or diversity?

It is the legacy 140.8.80.S in steel (not precious metal) and 37mm : looks like this:

I bought the slightly different one in Pink Gold in December 140.240.802B (A) , its currently my Favourite watch,
    Last edited by adrianw; 1st April 2021 at 11:31.