closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More and more appliances coming without plugs - why?

I hope the OP has unplugged the heater, its clearly not intended for such use as stated in the installation manual, it could be dangerous or cause a fire.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 31st March 2021 at 11:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I hope the OP has unplugged the heater, its clearly not intended for such use as stated in the installation manual, it could be dangerous or cause a fire.
    From the instruction manual linked to the product webpage above:

ELECTRICAL INFORMATION:
    The Hawaii 2000 is not supplied with a plug and is intended for connection to the fixed wiring. Installation must only be carriedout by competent persons or a qualified electrician according to national regulations and the unit must be earthed. The electricalsupply to the unit should be provided by connecting to a current protection device suitable for the electrical rating of the unit inaccordance with Table 1 and providing disconnection in both poles. All fixed wiring must have sufficient capacity to carry thecurrent required by the heater.

An electrical plug may be added by the installer so long as both the plug and electrical supply circuit to be plugged into areappropriately rated according to the requirements of the heater in Table 1 and in accordance with local regulations. Any extensionlead used must have sufficient capacity to carry the current required by the heater. All plugs, sockets and switches intended foruse outdoors must have an appropriate water ingress protection. Always disconnect the heater from the power when not in use.

Don't be coming in here with your facts and spoiling his fun.

Intended or not, I'd do my own risk assessment and probably leave it rather than paying an electrician £50 or whatever they charge if they could be arsed for a small job like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Intended or not, I'd do my own risk assessment and probably leave it rather than paying an electrician £50 or whatever they charge if they could be arsed for a small job like this.
    I see where you are coming from but I would probably look for a lesser powered model or wire it in.

I see where you are coming from but I would probably look for a lesser powered model or wire it in.
    It’s not particularly high powered.

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    not disputing your points or the supplied links but we did end up changing our cable colours to harmonise with the rest of Europe.. I know it's not the same thing but kind of related. I never heard of any plans to force us to change to a two pin system though..
    Yes we did.

Although our previous cable colour coding; Red - live, black - neutral, green - earth was far more obvious IMO than the modern Euro version.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Bring back our red black and green (pref with yellow stripes).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Found it on Amazon. Possibly available elsewhere.

Deal: Extension Lead with USB C Ports, Power Strips with 2 Way Outlets 4 USB(4.5A, 1 Type C and 3 USB-A Port) Surge Protection Plug Extension Socket with 1.8 Meter Braided Extension cord for Home Office https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZGDK9...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Yep that's it got it from Amazon they have dropped a few quid now so even better deal @ £13.71

Now looking for a second one but need 2 or 3 USB-c ports this time anyone found one suitable ?

N

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    From the instruction manual linked to the product webpage above:

ELECTRICAL INFORMATION:
    The Hawaii 2000 is not supplied with a plug and is intended for connection to the fixed wiring. Installation must only be carriedout by competent persons or a qualified electrician according to national regulations and the unit must be earthed. The electricalsupply to the unit should be provided by connecting to a current protection device suitable for the electrical rating of the unit inaccordance with Table 1 and providing disconnection in both poles. All fixed wiring must have sufficient capacity to carry thecurrent required by the heater.

An electrical plug may be added by the installer so long as both the plug and electrical supply circuit to be plugged into areappropriately rated according to the requirements of the heater in Table 1 and in accordance with local regulations. Any extensionlead used must have sufficient capacity to carry the current required by the heater. All plugs, sockets and switches intended foruse outdoors must have an appropriate water ingress protection. Always disconnect the heater from the power when not in use.
    Yes, I’ve put a 13amp plug on it, attached to a heavy duty weather resistant single gang extension cable (the type with the clamshell), and plugged into an outdoor weatherproof socket on a separate ring main with recently installed circuit breaker and consumer unit.

Ran it yesterday evening for six hours, no problem at all.

I’ve always worked on the assumption that up to 2kilowatts is fine on a domestic supply, as most fan heaters sold are up to around this.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by TheFlyingBanana; 31st March 2021 at 15:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Yes, I struggled to see why it would be an "unwelcome" legacy also.
    True, there may be other parts of our legacy less welcome. Probably not worth too much deep thinking. Most Indian offices I visited had UK and US sockets fitted as standard as well so that may be keeping their accidental electrocution rate up.

This is a fascinating website (to me anyway!) -

https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    The EU wanted to get rid of our 3 pin plugs and replace them with their crap 2 pinners 
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Ok £25 to the fundraiser if you can find the EU proposed directive where this is put forward as an idea.

You might struggle a bit because this euromyth first appears in about 1992 or 1993 (in the Daily Heil I think first) but I'll wait.
    You'll be waiting forever for factual evidence.

A staple diet of the Leavers is the euro myths, the EU used to keep a record of them and over 650 were postulated by the UK press including:

https://wayback.archive-it.org/11980...l-to-pin-plug/

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Yes we did.

Although our previous cable colour coding; Red - live, black - neutral, green - earth was far more obvious IMO than the modern Euro version.
    Quite correct. Brown for live and Blue for neutral still seem wrong to me.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    To be fair, I’m pretty sure my lad was taught it in the lesson they called ‘resistant materials ‘ in the first year of Secondary school ( woodwork / craft / design type of lesson) I’ve shown him a few times over the years too when I’ve ever done a plug.
    Well I’m fifty (ish) and remember learning to wire a plug at school - a time when they taught some useful stuff too