closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hedging - advice needed

Master

Hedging - advice needed

Do we have any gardening experts here or anyone in the trade that can help?

I need to infill an old boundary hedge and may need to contend with old roots, as well as ivy and poor lighting.

Does anyone have any recommendations other than petrol bombing and starting again?

Would an auger and a few whips be a good way forward, or a complete waste of time, money and effort?

All advice gratefully received.

Journeyman
    Planting bare root whips while a cheap option may not be successful. We are coming out of planting season so container /pot grown may be your only option. Keep in mind If light levels are bad then newly planted whips / feathers can be easily out competed by existing hedging or the ivy. Existing roots shouldn't be too much of a problem given the size you want to plant. Alternatively take out a section and replant with feathers in next planting season. Or If the hedge is mature and in good health it may well fill In over time so no need to fill in at ll. Pictures would help

Craftsman
    As above we are nearly at the end of bare route planting, I have previously used these https://www.hedgenursery.co.uk/?gcli...saAm7iEALw_wcB. Other suppliers are available.

I have had hawthorn and beech hedging from them, no special tools required (just a spade). There are planting guides on the site.

Craftsman
    What type of plants are in the existing hedge and how tall is it. Ultimately the best solution may be to start again, especially if you are not keen on what's there now

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk