closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New to Natos

New to Natos

Morning guys, been wearing a scrappy old 22mm NATO on one of my watches over the last week or so and find it lovely and comfy. I am a late learner, sorry. I am looking to get a nice one, a single layer one of possible, what would you guys reccomend, happy to go used as well. Thanks

Master
    Haveston in my opinion.

Depends on a few things. All 2 layer versions can be converted to single layer with a pair of scissors and a lighter or match to seal the ends from fraying. The best I’ve found really are Eddies Timefactors NATO’s with the square hardware. I find the CWC ones too scratchy and a bit short, the Phoenix ones are just horrible in every way. Bought a couple from watchgecko which are long and soft, so those get a recommendation. I recently got a single layer ‘US’ version which has fabric loops/keepers which is probably the best I’ve found so far. Quote fancy trying a person strap but can’t seem to find a UK supplier of the ‘eulit’ brand which are apparently the only ones worth bothering with. I’ve flip flopped between NATO’s over the years, but they have their place on the right watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have bought a few off Amazon the archer ones I think and there great quality

Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    Haveston in my opinion.
    This. The canvas are superb, as are the Service series, both of which I have. Very comfy to wear with no unsightly and bulky tuck under. They are in the process of going to canvas keepers rather than metal in the canvas range, I have three with canvas keepers and so far they've been fine. I changed yesterday from the DA37 combo in the shot below to the DC56 combo shown. Some are still available with either canvas or metal keepers, just send Alex an email to see what's available and let him know your preference. You can see in the 2nd picture how nicely the canvas fades with wear and washing. There's a thread here in Leather, Rubber and Nylon regarding the long term durability of their canvas straps.

Parade Series . . .

This started life as a double pass, which they still did back then, but is now single . . .

F.T.F.A.

Master
    I just bought one of these off eBay for my SKX009 and am very impressed with the quality, it’s a similar material to what came in my Speedy moon watch big box

As someone who wears virtually every watch on a NATO I can recommend Timefsctors (I don’t like the newer hardware though)
    Zuzlu Diver make good quality straps, they have a bit of a sale on currently as well. Their luxury versions are very similar to Omegas (who’s are the best) they also do straps Similar to Tudors.

Lastly for a cheap option look at George’s cheap NATO’s, they are pretty good for not much money.
    https://www.gsandw.co.uk/collections/nato

https://www.zuludiver.com/
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 29th March 2021 at 10:41.

Best VFM have to be Eddie’s Timefactors NATO’s, they are cheap and brilliant quality, with a nice weave that differentiates them from the standard NATO’s out there. watchgecko do some nice ones but they can be pricey, and for me not the same quality as the Timefactors ones

Craftsman
    I never thought about Eddie’s of course I bet there great value for money also

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    Best VFM have to be Eddie’s Timefactors NATO’s, they are cheap and brilliant quality, with a nice weave that differentiates them from the standard NATO’s out there. watchgecko do some nice ones but they can be pricey, and for me not the same quality as the Timefactors ones
    In recent years I’ve always gone for the geckota nato straps because of their length as well as quality, most nato straps tend to be around 270-280mm that doesn’t leave enough surplus strap to fold away behind the second loop on my Wrists, Geckota come in at 310mm that’s just enough, but the strap I posted in my earlier comment are 320mm, better quality and cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My Wrist is over 7 1/2”

Master

Thanks all for your replies, going to take me a while to read through but great input.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    My Wrist is over 7 1/2”

Quick shout out for adjustable single pass NATOs.

I don’t like all the hardware and requisite tucked loop most NATOs have as I think it makes them very broad and shouty on the wrist, an adjustable nato means they fit quite sveltely (not sure if that’s a word).

Crown and buckle make them. As do cheapest nato straps but I’ve been disappointed with the feel of the CNS ones: just a little rough.

Blog Entries
    All the above including EBay i personally prefer the single pass three ring version or zulu and will normally ( circumcise) the nato five ring version.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

It's also possible to remove the "extra bit" from a Nato and then take the keeper from it's fixed position and use it as a sliding keeper. A little care is needed when putting on/removing when fitted to a watch as the now sliding keeper can fall from the strap. Two pairs of pliers with jaws taped is all you need, and the process can be reversed. Of course a keeper from an old knackered Nato makes it much easier to do.

Coyote Brown with piece removed but keeper in normal position, striped underneath with keeper removed and refitted to slide . . .

F.T.F.A.

Master
    I just bought one of these off eBay for my SKX009 and am very impressed with the quality, it’s a similar material to what came in my Speedy moon watch big box

That looks identical to the premium ones Cousins are now selling - £3.50 plus vat and postage.

Craftsman
    Ae Crown & Buckle the only ones doing adjustable natos? I'm not a fan of the fold back flap on some of my watches that still benefit from a bit of depth under the caseback.
    I'd like some other options, particularly if there are any that do 18mm widths.

New to Natos

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    Ae Crown & Buckle the only ones doing adjustable natos? I'm not a fan of the fold back flap on some of my watches that still benefit from a bit of depth under the caseback.
    As someone has mentioned CheapestNatoStraps do a good selection of adjustable single pass NATO’s that are similar style and pretty decent (obvs not same quality as c&b). I had to burn an extra hole in mine to get them to fit my weedy wrist but for the price I wasn’t too bothered

Last edited by enndriz; 29th March 2021 at 15:32.

Master
    In recent years I’ve always gone for the geckota nato straps because of their length as well as quality, most nato straps tend to be around 270-280mm that doesn’t leave enough surplus strap to fold away behind the second loop on my Wrists, Geckota come in at 310mm that’s just enough, but the strap I posted in my earlier comment are 320mm, better quality and cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Matt,
    I definitely agree with your comments about length! In my view (other views are available) there needs to be enough material to cover my 7.75 " wrist & still have enough to loop back under both keepers.
    Most manufacturers are coming up short these days. I've got a Watch Gecko that's long enough & a couple of CWCs, the rest I have to just put up with.
    Bark and Jack are very good quality but a bit short for me (a comfortable fit on the wrist but not a lot left over).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    As someone has mentioned CheapestNatoStraps do a good selection of adjustable single pass NATO’s that are similar style and pretty decent (obvs not same quality as c&b). I had to burn an extra hole in mine to get them to fit my weedy wrist but for the price I wasn’t too bothered

Thanks, I missed that comment.

I've tried loads of different ones as have always liked NATO straps. My overall favourite are the CWC ones which to me are pretty much perfect, I certainly don't find them remotely scratchy as somebody else mentioned.

Craftsman
    I find the “seatbelt” weave ones a bit too thick and yet lacking sufficient firmness to really feel like they hold the watch on the right place on my wrist.
    Also: all NATOs can be improved by washing them

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    The best I have found by a country mile have been the zuludiver rubber NATO’s made by Bonetto Cinturini, but they are expensive.
    Eddie’s are very good for the money though but I do find the hardware a bit ‘grey’ for a brushed finished watch, but that’s probably me being over fussy.

Whilst they're not cheap and will incur import tax, the Crown and Buckle Supreme range is my favourite. They have a shiny version if you prefer the seat belt style material but the new matte Supremes are just about perfect in my opinion. The material is the perfect thickness and very nicely finished and the hardware is good too. You can order their NATOs in a single layer configuration if you don't want to modify it yourself. Or if you prefer the adjustable style, their Chevron line is great too.

New to Natos

You can also get them from AliExpress. A brand called Juelong. They are quite good, holes might not be perfect but material is nice and they are quite affordable.

Always wanted to try C&B however after shipping, taxes and handling fees they were a bit too pricey.

Last edited by Glen Goyne; 30th March 2021 at 20:26.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    You can also get them from AliExpress. A brand called Juelong. They are quite good, holes might not be perfect but material is nice and they are quite affordable.
    Nice one, thanks.

kind of incorrect combination

Once again thanks everyone for input, I had little knowledge of idea about these straps but have a lot of options now, just a matter of deciding the right one from all the recommendations. Again appreciate people taking the time to add their thoughts.

I’m personally not a huge nato fan, but have tried plenty over the years and the ones I’ve settled on should I decide to use one would be from Bark & Jack. The quality is really good for the money, a level up from ones I’ve had from Amazon, eBay etc. and you get a good service including a personal note from the seller (Adrian), a nice carry pouch and it also comes in a wax sealed envelope which is a nice touch.

The Arrods green broad-weave single pass is particularly nice.

And I’ve had the seatbelt grey too

Am I alone in finding the new ‘luxury’ NATO’s a bit odd? I much prefer the simpler nylon styles to the shiny seatbelt/fancy weaved/shiny metal bits ones that have emerged with higher prices to match. I guess it makes sense as this style of strap has crossed into the mainstream - and they come already fitted to a lot of expensive watches now, yet I still prefer them a bit ‘agricultural’ and utilitarian

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Am I alone in finding the new ‘luxury’ NATO’s a bit odd? I much prefer the simpler nylon styles to the shiny seatbelt/fancy weaved/shiny metal bits ones that have emerged with higher prices to match. I guess it makes sense as this style of strap has crossed into the mainstream - and they come already fitted to a lot of expensive watches now, yet I still prefer them a bit ‘agricultural’ and utilitarian

Definitely agree with you on this. I guess it’s the difference between a vehicle that claims to be a 4x4, but is clearly a losing wagon, and a Land Rover...

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

I agree, I prefer the standard Phoenix Nato in grey.
    The only exception would be those from Omega, they are very nice but make your eyes water when the bill is presented.

Craftsman
    If you want eye-watering... I just saw these...I thought the chap must have misplaced the decimal point

People whinge about CWC pricing, well these straps were literally throwaway replacement.

Master
    https://thestraptailor.com/product-c...-watch-straps/

I have one of these & a Crown & Buckle - similar but not as good as C&B, but not far off, no 18mm width though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    https://thestraptailor.com/product-c...-watch-straps/

I have one of these & a Crown & Buckle - similar but not as good as C&B, but not far off, no 18mm width though.
    Thanks, I'll keep a eye out for 18mm options, although I'm sure I'll have something in need of a 20mm one soon.