closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Mac experts about?

Master

Any Mac experts about?

Hi

We have an old MacBook Pro (2010 I think) that seems to be having issues.
    Upon opening the lid, the screen froze so my son shut it down and then re-started using the power button. Now it’s just stuck on a white screen.

I’ve plugged it into an electrical socket even though the battery seems well charged.

Any ideas what it would be worth trying?

Cheers

Hold down command+alt+p+r and switch on. Keep held down for a couple of reboot cycles and see if that sorts it.

Craftsman
    Are you able to press and hold the power button to switch it off? If so then see if this helps.

Restart the Mac, then press and hold down the Command + Option + P + R keys when you hear the start-up chime.

Continue to hold down the keys mentioned in the previous step until you hear the second start-up chime, then release the keys.

Master
    Thanks. Just trying that now.
    Switched it off using the power key and then switched back on and held down the keys as described till I heard second chimes.
    Got a fuzzy green Apple logo and a progress bar and then back to the plain white screen.
    Nothing visible on screen but it is obviously lit up.

Master
    Tried a couple of other things that I found on the web and now the Mac boots up, shows a fuzzy screen with green Apple logo and progress bar. The progress bar gets to about halfway across and the the screen goes blank and the machine shuts down.

I tried something called Verbose and the screen showed a long string of computer tasks etc and then shut down.

Journeyman
    This thread seems to cover most of the options: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7500990

Master
    Blog Entries
    Motherboard needs replacing.

Had the same issue with same vintage. Got board and ssd fitted by great chap in SW England. Like new machine

J

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Motherboard needs replacing.

Had the same issue with same vintage. Got board and ssd fitted by great chap in SW England. Like new machine

J
    Thanks. Do you still have details of the chaps you used and can you share rough cost?

Journeyman
    It’ll most likely be the graphic processor chip has cracks in the solder joints under the chip from the heat cycles. You could have a go at reflowing using some liquid flux and a heat gun. But most of the time it’ll fail again.

- - - Updated - - -

It’ll most likely be the graphic processor chip has cracks in the solder joints under the chip from the heat cycles. You could have a go at reflowing using some liquid flux and a heat gun. But most of the time it’ll fail again.