closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC G10 - Issues

CWC G10 - Issues

Hi All,

I have an 1989 issued CWC G10, which has been in my collection for a good few years.
    About a year ago I gave it to my son as I was struggling with it's size, tired old eye's sadly.

It's always performed faultlessly both in my ownership and since handing it down to my son.
    That is until fairly recently when it started losing time, initially just the odd minute or two a week but this has crept out to nigh on 30 minutes a week !!!

I've changed the battery for fresh a couple of times but it's not helped.

Does this mean it's at the end of it's serviceable life span or can it be rejuvenated ?
    Should it be the latter could anyone point me in the direction of someone that could possibly give the old girl a new lease of life ?

TIA.

Brian....aka BRGRSP

I believe the movement can be replaced fairly cheaply. Coincidentally I watched this today.

https://youtu.be/4c6vJE6wkuw

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I believe the movement can be replaced fairly cheaply. Coincidentally I watched this today.

https://youtu.be/4c6vJE6wkuw
    Thanks for your reply and the link, very interesting watch, no pun intended :-)

A 1989 G10 will most likely be powered by an ETA 955.114 movement.
    These movements are straightforward to service for an experienced watchmaker, and they rarely throw any issues provided that the module is in good condition.

A service is time consuming, and it can sometimes be more cost effective to replace the movement.

As the ETA 955.114 are no longer manufactured, these watches often have their movements replaced with the more recent 955.112. It works perfectly but the 955.112 has a date complication (three crown positions), so if the 955.114 only had 2 crown positions then you end up with a redundant intermediate position with the new movement (not necessarily a big deal, but worth mentioning). You could get around this by fitting a 955.102 instead (3hand version - no date) but they are not always easy to source, and can be more expensive.

Originality is increasingly important on military watches, and as the 955.114 and 955.112 are cosmetically different (different colours) I personally always like to see the original movement in these watches. It was a quality movement, and I expect there will come a time when originality of a quartz movement will matter to collectors. Arguably this might already be the case , I know it matters to me especially on the early 1980s models (e.g. fatboy and divers).

I guess if it’s 1989, then it’s Royal Navy.

And, .olli. is one of the best for servicing and restoration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk