closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: V600 - Something a little bit different

Master

V600 - Something a little bit different

This recent post intrigued me enough to want to find out more about the Seiko A82* modules. They are reasonably well known in WIS circles as some of them have been up in to space and one was on Doc Brown's wrist in Back to the Future. It is an elegant solution to the need to change function (less painful than repeatedly pressing a stiff pusher with the soft part of the thumb or getting a pusher stuck under a fingernail) and I was surprised that there weren't many more watches with similar abilities. So I decided to find out if Seiko was the only company to make watches which used the bezel to change the function and perhaps a clue as to why they didn't become more commonplace. And so began an interesting voyage through the internet which, inevitably, ended in depletion of the watch fund.

As with any internet voyage I had a destination in mind and ended up somewhere slightly different. I quickly found out a little more about the A82* (there seem to be five variants) but nothing much on their history or their demise. I can only guess that Seiko had the idea pretty tied up with patents and when they decided not to continue with it nobody else was able to take it up. Anyway that journey ended up with me purchasing this:

It is an Alba V600- 9000 and it is the V600 movement that piqued my interest because it is another movement which uses the bezel to change function, this time analogue instead of digital. I have been unable to find out much about it so what is written below is based on the scant information available. It appeared in many Alba and Pulsar watches around the mid eighties (which is contemporaneous with the A82* watches). It also appears in Seiko watches under the 8V20 (with similar functions to this watch) and the 8V22 which was a world timer.

Looking at pictures of the Pulsars and Albas on the internet it seems you had the choice of either something that looked a bit sporty or something which looked a bit dressy (albeit in a style that could only have appeared in the eighties).

As well as the ability to change functions via the bezel the movement has a couple of quirks. The minute hand ticks, once every half a minute and the seconds hand moves backwards when in Timer mode (or at least it should, this one is a little temperamental). The sub dial indicates AM/PM which is particularly useful for when setting the alarm. Perhaps the most interesting thing is that, when changing the functions, the hands do this:

I am not sure how that affects the battery life but my son always turns the bezel when he sees the watch so it won't be long until I find out (to be fair I can't resist giving it a twist every now and then).

The functions are fairly standard and are as described on the bezel. The setting shown at 6 o'clock co-ordinates the hands after the gymnastics of changing function as they can come out of synch while using one of the other functions.

It fills a gap in the collection that didn't really exist until a few weeks ago. I think it is one of the nicer looking variants and, for a watch which is 35 odd years old, it is in excellent condition. It is currently running at +1.6 secs per day which I don't think is too bad.
    Last edited by Wimm; 26th March 2021 at 00:55. Reason: Fixed link

Oh I like that. Massive thanks for the write up, very interesting indeed.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    Thanks for the info very interesting read

I never knew these existed until now, but I’m intrigued. They must be like hen’s teeth.

Great write up. Thanks.

Really interesting concept. Certainly easier to select a function using the bezel than pushers or, especially, the crown as in the Aerospace - I find I have to take my Aerospace off the wrist to change function as it's practically impossible to turn the small crown whilst the watch is on the wrist!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I never knew these existed until now, but I’m intrigued. They must be like hen’s teeth.

Great write up. Thanks.

Glad you enjoyed it. I have read somewhere that they may have been purely for the Japanese domestic market and this is bourne out by the fact that most of the ones I have seen on the market are in Japan. This one was on EBay but others appear on Yahoo.jp and Mercari. Although I have been looking for a month or so I have seen three or four crop up. Mostly the dressy gold-like Albas (not too dissimilar from the Seiko in the video above). There was a nice black Pulsar recently. I have a suspicion that the Seikos are the rare ones but I could be very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Really interesting concept. Certainly easier to select a function using the bezel than pushers or, especially, the crown as in the Aerospace - I find I have to take my Aerospace off the wrist to change function as it's practically impossible to turn the small crown whilst the watch is on the wrist!
    I would have thought something like the Aerospace would be a prime contender for this sort of ability. This does make me think the only reason why other companies haven't taken it up is that Seiko have the IP all tied up in patents. That or nobody in the R+D departments of other companies has had that idea.