closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ebay auction advice - 7 or 10 days?

Ebay auction advice - 7 or 10 days?

Going to sell some stuff (not watch related) and it's been years since I used Ebay. Does it make much difference whether I start a 7 or 10 day auction?

Any strategies or advice would be welcome!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Dont sell much but what I do goes up for 7 days and make sure it ends on a fri/sat/sunday evening as most folk are not busy with work and likely following at the end. Works for me anyway.

Master
    I find 10 a waste of time... in almost all cases the bids won't roll in until the final day, it just draws out the listing unnecessarily.
    Personally I favour 5 days. Gives plenty of time for potential buyers to spot it and put in in their watched items list.
    If I see an item I want and there's a week left to run on the auction I'll generally go and find one I can buy quicker, shorter sale or BiN listing.

People tend to bid right at the end so shorter auctions are better in my opinion. I’d run them at three or five days which gives them enough time to be seen but doesn’t leave them hanging round doing nothing for ages.

As stated, many wasted days and two minutes of excitement. I always list as buy it now and negotiate with any interested buyers. As a buyer I hate auctions and usually ignore them as a waste of time.

Sold a few things over the last year and agree that things either get early offers (If you've accepted them) or go at the end.

I do, means people can offer you a price without incurring the BIN fee.

As someone else said, aim to finish on a weekend, I think sometime early evening, 7 or 8 seems to work well, but that's just a theory.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    As someone else said, aim to finish on a weekend, I think sometime early evening, 7 or 8 seems to work well, but that's just a theory.
    Between 7 and 8 works very well, Sunday through to Thursday, I think it's late enough for people to have got in from work, eaten, walked the dog etc, but not so late that they have settled down to watch a film or tv show.
    But not Friday and Saturday evenings. For me they are a definite no-no, as so many people make them some sort of date night or family night, or go out in normal times.

Surely 10 days gives you extra time for buyers to see your listing?
    Not everyone will see/look for your item during the 5/7 day period.
    Granted, all the action will happen in the last hours but you increase your chances of gaining more `watchers`/potential bidders over 10 days.

I don`t do any auctions these days, i do all 30-day buy-it-nows with fixed price.

Neither. eBay isn’t really an auction site anymore, sadly, just essentially classifieds.

Just put whatever you want up, take offers and sell that way.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    I list to finish Sunday late afternoon/early evening on the possibly incorrect assumption that more people might be online and there to bid up!

Very rarely use so can’t say I’ve tried other ideas.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    As stated, many wasted days and two minutes of excitement. I always list as buy it now and negotiate with any interested buyers. As a buyer I hate auctions and usually ignore them as a waste of time.
    I agree I gave up buying on auctions as well there was always something fishy about them you could have 5 or 6 identical items that were buy it now and had sat there for weeks with no interest and an auction for the same item ended with it selling for way more than the buy it now items

Craftsman
    If listing as an auction, I always do 7 seven days ending on Sunday late afternoon or evening. You can also add a buy it now price at the same time.

I've had good luck with 10-day auctions, especially with No Reserve. I start them on Thursday evening (early) and they run ten days until Sunday evening. I find I get more bids and bidders, who have two full weekends to notice my auctions.

For auctions, the optimum end time across the entire week is meant to be between 8-9pm on a Sunday. There was apparently some research done that showed statistically a certain %age higher price was achieved.

I agree with others tho, running an auction just draws it out, I always go for buy it now with offers accepted - you can easily end up selling for the price you want within hours rather than waiting for days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 days with accept offers

Put your starting price at above what you’d accept - you’ll then receive early offers

If no offers after a few days revise the price down, then leave it fir the last few days for the rollercoaster fun of auction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to sell on Ebay, but now mainly buy.

Best deals were on Fri., Sat or Sun. nights as people went out and didn't care about auctions

Don't list them to end on weekends

Tues. Wed and Thurs.

Second.

Who is your market?

If you think it's a product better suited to a US bidder. Mark sure it's listed at a time they're still going to be awake for (or they'll just use sniping software).

Some I wanted to be awake to see the end results and hated when they ended late in the morning

DON

PS - 7 days Would prefer if all auctions lasted 3 days max

Blog Entries
    7 days and let the eBay gods decide

Finish on a Sunday evening around Antiques Roadshow o’clock

I then don’t have to worry about posting in dribs and drabs

I favour auctions as although some might disappoint… many more beat expectations

I sold a record deck for about £150 more than I would have put it on for buy it now

Shifted around 15 items and netted £1800 a couple of weeks back

It’s worth the small amount of hassle for me!

Craftsman
    I'm a private seller and over the last year I have sold about 100 items of stuff that was all under £500 except for a couple of vehicles.

What has worked for me is to list items on a Thursday evening for a 10 day auction that would finish on Sunday evening. I am never desperate to sell any of my items so I list and forget. I think this gives the advert time to be seen by a larger audience. Nothing ever happens for the first 4 days apart form the usual tedious, 'What's your best price, mate? I can collect it tonight'

I don't use the .99p start option but set the price that I would like for the item and if the price goes for more - thats a bonus.

The only other one I use is the eBay offers that get circulated - 'list for £1' which I set as a 7 day auction, Sunday eve to Sunday eve.

Don't forget to factor in your P & P prices as that can mount up if you sell low value items or indeed use RMSD.

Oh, and set your phone setting so when someone pays for an item - it goes 'ching, ching' (or something like that)!!

I've been selling for a long time now - just household stuff every now and again that we no longer want. For me its about decluttering and winning back the space - sometimes I get rid of stuff without telling my wife and she has never noticed. Got an email from eBay maybe five years ago congratulating me on achieving £10k of sales!
    On the OP's question, if its a popular item and going to be posted then I do a shorter (3 day) auction. If its more niche or collection only then minimum 7 days. I love turning crap into cash though I can no longer be bothered with selling clothes or anything below £40 (unless doing a collection only sale is saving me a trip to the dump!)