closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sheds

Master

Sheds

I’m looking for some recommendations for wooden shed suppliers please - aiming at 5’ x 3’. Primarily to store a Weber and a few small tools (we’re going for artificial grass so no mower etc).

Laying a 50mm slab on a compacted type 1 base this week (weather and cement mixer arrival permitting!).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Will follow this with interest, our new gaff needs a shed as the previous owners didn’t leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Will follow this with interest, our new gaff needs a shed as the previous owners didn’t leave it.
    They're still in there?

Got mine from these guys

https://gardensheduklimited.co.uk/

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Was also looking for a shed recently and it seems that supply is struggling to keep up with demand. Most companies I called (including one I used before) are quoting 2-3 month lead time at best.

Not sure if it is like this every Spring!?

Will follow this thread, but we are probably going to resort to getting a local tradesman to build something.

Another interested party checking in. My shed has been on its last legs for a while and have just started to think about finding a new one (lighter nights means I have spend longer looking at the thing) - any recommendations will be gratefully received

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Was also looking for a shed recently and it seems that supply is struggling to keep up with demand. Most companies I called (including one I used before) are quoting 2-3 month lead time at best.

Will follow this thread, but we are probably going to resort to getting a local tradesman to build something.
    Ours was built in 2016. We signed the contract towards the end of July. They started work on the 4th of October, and we had the final inspection on the 20th of October. So, 2 months for us. It is a garden room.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Ours was built in 2016. We signed the contract towards the end of July. They started work on the 4th of October, and we had the final inspection on the 20th of October. So, 2 months for us. It is a garden room.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Interesting. What do you mean by final inspection? Building regs?

Thomas Reid
    Interesting. What do you mean by final inspection? Building regs?
    A walk though with the folks who built it to make sure that it was as we wished.
    Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

There's a shortage of wood at the moment. It's the same with fencing materials.

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    There's a shortage of wood at the moment. It's the same with fencing materials.
    Well, it doesn't grow on trees.......

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Well, it doesn't grow on trees.......
    Very good unc....

Have a look at the ketter built it myself won’t rot can also be painted but I won’t be doing that Attachment 18366

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheds

Might be worth building your own to custom size?

I built my shed as an 8x6 but wish I went 12x8 really, it sits on a concrete base with lots of old rubble deeper down, frame was cheap CLS from Wickes, base was old decking and joists reused, made a jig on the base to make the roof trusses again CLS, all wood joints screwed and glued, wrapped the frame and roof in waterproof Protect from Screwfix and then clad in feather edge board.

I went for a New England style barn look as I didn’t want a plain old shed, still looks the same with no leaks, rot or problems 6 years on.

Last edited by murkeywaters; 25th March 2021 at 23:56.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I’m looking for some recommendations for wooden shed suppliers please - aiming at 5’ x 3’. Primarily to store a Weber and a few small tools (we’re going for artificial grass so no mower etc).

Laying a 50mm slab on a compacted type 1 base this week (weather and cement mixer arrival permitting!).
    Make it a bit bigger. You won't regret it!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    If you have no mower etc. then do you need a full blown shed? We have a couple of 'Keter' storage boxes, tucked out of the way behind the garage which hold things like the garden furniture cushions, pressure washer, etc.
    They don't look as nice as a nice shed but if you can tuck them out of the way they are pretty much maintenance free and just do the job.

Master
    Just finished putting up a keter shed from Costco.
    Type 1 base and then gravel grids filled with 10mm pea gravel as a base so it can be changed in the future. Also very easy and quite cheap. Shed is 11 x 8

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I’ve bought two log cabin sheds in the last 10 years from Garden Buildings Direct. Simple strong and Lego easy to erect, just avoid the roof sheet option.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

That looks lovely Murkey!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I got a large wooden shed from a local company which has been fine for many years now.

Needing more storage I got a metal shed which is maintenance free. Not so gorgeous to look at at but it is at the far end and not really seen from the house. Goes up like Meccano and fortunately my youngest son and his gf put it up for me.

Also have a couple of the Keter storage units to keep some garden tools near the house.

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Blog Entries
    Groupon have metal sheds at the moment.

I have shed envy though Murkey.

Craftsman
    Don't know where you are but up here in Fife gilles and mackay make great sheds

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'm in London. I don't want a metal or plastic shed, I can understand why some might though!

If I had another week off work, i'd probably build one from scratch but I start a new job on Monday!

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I'm in London. I don't want a metal or plastic shed, I can understand why some might though!

If I had another week off work, i'd probably build one from scratch but I start a new job on Monday!
    5x3 that’s massive in London! Anyway, whatever the size it will fill up with junk over time so that you won’t be able to move around. We have a Lugarde, a titchy one in comparison. Had it 15 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I guess I in London and been waiting a while I'd wait a bit longer and build it like you say and get as large a bespoke shed as I could in the area whats another couple of months. If you buy and it's crap or too small you'll be kicking yourself for years.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

I've been out today to a couple of local shed suppliers and other than a couple I thought the quality of the walls quite poor quality. Maybe I'm being fussy but none on the really gave me that feeling that they will last more than a couple of years.

Wish I had to skillset to build one.

Fish

A good project to learn necessary skills, Fish.
    You wouldn't save a great amount of money over what you could buy a shed for, but you would get a much better quality. Plenty on here would talk you through it, me included. I have just finished a 30 x 20ft workshop using steel frame and reclaimed materials in the main part. Total spend incl. 9 cubes of readymix was almost exactly £3k.
    Hard work, but if anyone sold a ready made building that fits my slab they would sack their designer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    5x3 that’s massive in London! Anyway, whatever the size it will fill up with junk over time so that you won’t be able to move around. We have a Lugarde, a titchy one in comparison. Had it 15 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm talking feet here, not metres!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    That looks lovely Murkey!
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I have shed envy though Murkey.
    Thanks, I'm no carpenter but enjoy working with wood, especially outside projects, Just starting a pair of side gates for myself and neighbour using feather edge board, pressure treated timber is really good if done to a high standard and far outlasts dipped timber.