closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Beater sometimes makes me feel a mug ...

Master
    Blog Entries

Beater sometimes makes me feel a mug ...

I bought this off eBay and had a new battery fitted and pressure tested for about £120 all in ... it is a great little watch and when I use it I can't help but think it makes a bit of a mug of the luxury watches I own ... it also keeps the best time of any watch I own ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like that especially the hands.

Master
    You are being rational about your watches. Utterly pointless!

You don't see so many of the 150m ones?

I had a small 100m sports with the crown at 4-o'clock. Even that is rare compared to the popular 200m model.

Good watches - all.

You've seen the light. Enjoy what's on your wrist and get rid of those expensive baubles and do something else with the money when the world returns to normal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    You've seen the light. Enjoy what's on your wrist and get rid of those expensive baubles and do something else with the money when the world returns to normal.
    Only briefly ... the 58 has replaced it now ...

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Only briefly ... the 58 has replaced it now ...
    Well that was fast. Welcome back to the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    [Why don't you] Enjoy what's on your wrist and get rid of those expensive baubles and do something else with the money when the world returns to normal [instead].
    I just sang that out loud to the tune of WDY?

Craftsman
    one mans beater is another mans grail, that says it all. lovely watch by the way

Master
    Very nice. There's a lot of fun in inexpensive watches, especially when they have a bit of character or are something a bit out of the ordinary.

Nothing "mug" about it, a couple of my cheapest watches are my overall favourites. Still love my more expensive ones but that certainly doesn't take the shine off the cheap beater's.

I've been wearing my Seiko Turtle PADI pretty much exclusively for the past week and I got the same feeling that you describe.

I still have a long list of watches on my wishlist but I think deep down I'm a one watch guy and so I find rotating watches difficult.
    Last edited by ubiquitous; 24th March 2021 at 22:51.

I have this modded SKX that cost me well under £100 and it’s brilliant.

Last edited by andy tims; 26th March 2021 at 17:25.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Had my Casioak on a favourite open-weave Perlon today as it was warm and sunny out and I fancied something super-lightweight. All of £75-worth, and thoroughly enjoyable after a fortnight of a Damasko that's nearly-£2K-new. Sometimes the cheap watch is just the Right Watch

There's an added benefit, because I've noticed that when I do go back to the pricier watches, I appreciate them all the more after spending some time with the cheaper pieces.

Nowt wrong with that watch at all.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I was wearing my James Cameron as a daily until I saw a thread on here about Russian watches - now I own 5 modded Vostoks & the Cameron spends most of the time in the safe.
    I like watches that are individual, maybe even quirky. The Cameron has that over other sports Rolexes & it's a superb watch but the others have it too & nobody's going to mug me for a Vostok.
    ETA - I also have 3 Seikos that fall into the "individual but safe" bracket - a Brian May Special, a green Willard & a Tuna, all interesting to me but safer on the street than the Cameron.
    It's sad that we have to think that way but I guess I'm lucky that I have other options.

I think many of us have got a cheap watch that ranks amongst our favourites.

This is mine :

£40 off SC, but I love the TV style dial.

It's not the most accurate watch I have, but it's OK for a vintage watch, I may have a go at regulating it sometime.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Nothing wrong about that. Enjoy it.

I had a £60 beater for near on 20 years, although it didn't start off as a beater. Over the years, when I upgraded and started picking up other watches, I would still wear the beater and it was a pleasure. My family used to question why I wore this beater but I simply loved it. I don't know whether it was the batteries I was using or the watch itself, but these stopped lasting as long as they did originally, and in the end I was changing the battery every year. At that point, I stopped wearing it.

Fast forward a couple more years and still no use, between myself and my kids, we agreed that they could 'smash it up'. They enjoyed the experience and I let go and replaced the beater with an Apple Watch Its defiantly not in the same class, but it meets my needs of today.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    You don't see so many of the 150m ones?

I had a small 100m sports with the crown at 4-o'clock. Even that is rare compared to the popular 200m model.

Good watches - all.
    No I haven’t seen many of the 150m ones either

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I have a modded SKX that cost me well under £100 and it’s brilliant.
    I've got this one (cost a bit more, but when I saw it I had to buy it) - it gets a disproportionate amount of wrist time!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I remember picking up an SKX for £20 from a car boot years ago it kept time perfectly ended up giving it to my son in the end think he still has it somewhere haha

I’ve got two watch boxes; one in the safe with watches ranging from £500 to £7,500 and the other one has those in the £50 to £200 range.
    The cheaper range get just as much wear, if not more. The monetary value shouldn’t come into it.

Nice beater . One of my beaters cost very little too …

Accurate , reliable and very robust .

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazmo61 View Post
    Nice beater . One of my beaters cost very little too …

Accurate , reliable and very robust .
    Nice, imho a beater needs to be quartz as used infrequently ...

Craftsman
    Agreed that great watches don’t need to cost the earth. I wore this today for the first time in months - I always forget how much I like it (not today’s picture I hasten to add).

Master
    Most working days I wear a Citizen "Excalibur" BN-0100 - still on sale at Argos for a penny under £150. I have to say its probably the toughest, most reliable and consistently accurate watch I've got.

There's a lot to be said for a quartz beater!