closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chrono24 anyone bought via them recently.

Chrono24 anyone bought via them recently.

Something on Chrono24 has caught my eye via a 'professional seller' in UK.

Having had a quick Google of the platform it seems they imposed a buyer fee in the USA middle of last year.

Anyone recently bought via Chrono24 and been charged this buyer fee?
    Seems odd, if I'm reading Google correctly, that it only applies in USA.

I've sent their CS team a query but no answer yet.
    Nothing I can see on C24's site in the buying section.

Don't want to commit on a costly purchase to find that 5/6% has been tacked on to my cost!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I bought a watch on C24 about 6 months ago with no added fees to me.

Aren't there extra fees the buyer picks up if paying by credit card?

Master
    Bought a Corum last month, no buyers fee,smooth transaction, no issues, I bought mine from Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Aren't there extra fees the buyer picks up if paying by credit card?
    As far as I can see nothing extra for CC payments but if Amex is used, a fee of 2% is charged.

For those that bought recently, reassuring to know you didn't get caught for anything extra - thanks

I've also bought. Paid into the escrow account and watch delivered before the funds were released to the seller. No buyers fee from Chrono24.

Smooth and risk free.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Bought a Corum last month, no buyers fee,smooth transaction, no issues, I bought mine from Poland
    How did it work with VAT & duty? You pay on import?

Journeyman
    Similar to others above I bought from a private UK seller in January, paid using CC no buyer fees.

Well, I just dropped a chunk of money into a Chrono24 purchase and as you've all pointed out, fee free.

Fee only seems to apply to those in US - tough pill to swallow with 4% IIRC on top

That's good news, I had been eyeing up a chrono24 purchase.

How does selling fees work? I understand you can't do 'off-site' deals like you can on eBay because chrono24 still take a fee whether the seller goes through the website or sells elsewhere.

Craftsman
    I’ve browsed a few times but always find them a little pricey.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    How did it work with VAT & duty? You pay on import?
    Didn't pay a penny, VAT, Handling anything like that,I had certainly factored it it but didn't get hit at all

That's good news, I had been eyeing up a chrono24 purchase.

How does selling fees work? I understand you can't do 'off-site' deals like you can on eBay because chrono24 still take a fee whether the seller goes through the website or sells elsewhere.
    Selling fee's are 6.5% capped at $299 - yes, that's dollars not a typo.
    Cheaper than eBay plus PP's cut too.

The more I look at their platform the more I like it. As a first time buyer, I did feel a little apprehensive.
    I managed to speak to the dealer, he answered all my questions comprehensively and there seems to be some good buyer protection...authenticity guarantee, the money isn't released to the dealer until I say it should happen and the dealers are vetted before being allowed to sell.

We'll find out how good it all is when the postie knocks tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by scootnfast View Post
    I’ve browsed a few times but always find them a little pricey.
    I found them to be more competitive than the likes of Watchfinder, then again WF is a single business entity whereas C24 is a platform for dealers and private sellers...not a fair comparison certainly.

I couldn't find what I wanted on WF, or anywhere else, but it was available on C24. There is a facility to "suggest a price" I tried it several times but it kept telling me my offer was too low - 10% Contacted the dealer who readily accepted and then just followed the sales process.

Without seeing what I've bought I'm pretty confident that I'll be happy!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jacinabox View Post
    I found them to be more competitive than the likes of Watchfinder, then again WF is a single business entity whereas C24 is a platform for dealers and private sellers...not a fair comparison certainly.

I couldn't find what I wanted on WF, or anywhere else, but it was available on C24. There is a facility to "suggest a price" I tried it several times but it kept telling me my offer was too low - 10% Contacted the dealer who readily accepted and then just followed the sales process.

Without seeing what I've bought I'm pretty confident that I'll be happy!

Maybe it’s just the type of watches I was looking at I just found them to be a tad pricy compared to eBay. I have never bought anything but as you say it’s probably a safer platform than eBay I imagine.

Journeyman
    I bought a watch in December 2020 on C24 before the changes in customs and VAT rules, and it didn't go well.

I just had mediation closed and received full refund but I should have received full refund a long time ago.

Read on if you're interested. I made an offer on a watch from an EU dealer and was surprised it was accepted as it amounted to 11% off. I paid by credit card thinking it was in escrow. It was supposed to be delivered by UPS but it was intercepted in a depot and a UPS package containing mens toiletries was left on my doorstep by a random guy with a white van on foreign number plates. The UPS proof of delivery reads "Received By DRIVER RELEASE". I did not indicate receipt of delivery nor satisfactory condition of goods on C24 but somehow the transaction was deemed complete so I had to raise a dispute/mediation. When I questioned it with the dealer apparently "it's the system that automatically closes the transaction after having checked the effective delivery". I reported it to the police and C24 made me file with UPS even though I was not a party of the delivery contract. The supplier was surprisingly nonchalant and wasn't at all sympathetic to my plight. I also raised a chargeback on the credit card but C24 challenged it claiming "the user received the item (see tracking) but states not received, never contacted them regarding the condition of the received item, did NOT open any complaint, he did NOT cooperate"; accusing me of being a scammer, adding in the chargeback dispute "we find a definite connection to other users on our platform that tried to scam us with the almost exact same story. The IP matches in 19 cases!" Fuming over this I then unexpectedly receive an email from C24 stating that since the supplier was successful in their insurance claim I would be receiving a full refund! I then chase the refund only to be refused as apparently I had raised a chargeback, with C24 ignoring that fact that their challenge of the chargeback was successful and the credit to my account was reversed. I then had to spend the next 2 weeks chasing the refund by phone and email, which I finally received back onto my credit card this week. So in my case my refund was at the mercy of the dealer's insurance policy.

Oh and UK law enforcement is next to useless with the police claiming that it was not a crime that they could investigate and advised that I report it to ActionFraud who after about 4 weeks wrote back to me saying that based on the facts "it has not been possible to identify a line of enquiry which a law enforcement organsation in the UK could pursue"!

Never again on C24 for me.
    Last edited by emmm; 27th March 2021 at 01:30.

Quote Originally Posted by emmm View Post
    I bought a watch in December 2020 on C24 before the changes in customs and VAT rules, and it didn't go well. Never again on C24 for me.
    That sounds like a dreadful situation...you might be still out of pocket had the insurance not paid up. At the end of the day, it makes you realise that we put a lot of faith into words on a website and the sales platform is only as good as their actions.

Was it an Italian dealer? That's the one EU country I would never order from.

I'm not surprised law enforcement wasn't willing to help a private buyer who got scammed by a totally unknown person in a global supply system. I can't imagine they have the resources to deal with that.

I was considering a chrono24 purchase from a private seller in the UK...you might have just put me off!

Journeyman
    That sounds like a dreadful situation...you might be still out of pocket had the insurance not paid up. At the end of the day, it makes you realise that we put a lot of faith into words on a website and the sales platform is only as good as their actions.

Was it an Italian dealer? That's the one EU country I would never order from.

I'm not surprised law enforcement wasn't willing to help a private buyer who got scammed by a totally unknown person in a global supply system. I can't imagine they have the resources to deal with that.

I was considering a chrono24 purchase from a private seller in the UK...you might have just put me off!
    Yes indeed, could still be out of pocket had the insurance not paid up. Next step would have been to claim on Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act against the credit card company.

I won't call out the dealer as I don't think they did too much wrong (it did make me wonder whether they were in cohoots with UPS insiders), but I believe law enforcement had enough to go at the UPS depot; as to who handled the delivery, who closed the delivery etc.

Anyway, you live and learn. I bought 5 (6 including this) watches in the last 12 months, all delivered by post/courier except for one F2F transaction.

I will never buy from C24 again.
    Last edited by emmm; 27th March 2021 at 20:14.

That makes for grim reading. Pleased you got it sorted though it does sound as though you were at the mercy of the sellers insurers and UPS. Not a great experience.

I've just made a move into using Chrono24 for a first time buy, that hasn't gone entirely as expected (have I bought a fake Monaco thread) Chrono 24 were quick to respond to my authenticity doubts and haven't released my money to the seller. Equally, the seller assures me there will be no issues at his end if a refund is required.

While giving myself a mild beating up for choosing the "wrong" watch, I was thinking that over the years I've happily transferred large sums of cash to unkown sellers on here and achieved 100% happy results, no issues at all.
    I've only bought from online used watch dealers twice, this Monaco watch from Chrono24 but progress is being made on resolving. The second from a well known reseller who was an absolute rip off merchant and an ar*e to deal with.

Guess I should be spending on here!

The main issue for me comparing TZ with eBay or chrono24 is the description of condition. On TZ, you know when someone says "excellent condition", you know you are getting a watch that has been cared for and will genuinely be in a condition that matches the description. I've been looking on Chrono24 and eBay and have seen watches described as "mint condition" where I can see marks in the photo. One of the "mint" watches I looked at had what appeared to be a scrape that tracked from the case to the crystal as if the owner had accidentally brushed the watch against the wall. I queried this and he said "it's a 4-year old watch so you have to expect signs of wear"....huh?! Not if you've described it as mint!

Blog Entries
    I made a transaction on Chrono24 this year. Made the payment to escrow. I would have needed to wait 8weeks to wait for delivery as it was not in stock (watch had just been released). I was able to cancel the transaction with Chrono24 as I was able to buy the watch direct form the manufacturer. I received a refund within 7 days to my CC. Comms was easy with the supplier via the platform. No hassles- took a bit of time as it was all via escrow not direct with the supplier. I would use Chrono24 again if I found a deal.

I've bought numerous watches from Chrono24. All went smoothly without any problems.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As I mentioned on another thread I have bought from C24 - just once - but it was very smooth and the watch was in better condition than I expected from the description. On that basis, I would definitely buy from the same seller again and almost certainly give C24 another go if I saw the right watch.

Apprentice
    Bought a grand seiko sbgx295 off a private seller in Poland (I'm based in an EU so no custom charges to deal with). No extra charges as buyer. Had to confirm to C24 that I received the watch and then had up to one week (I think) to inspect watch before releasing funds. First time buying off C24 and all went well.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by doolittle View Post
    Had to confirm to C24 that I received the watch and then had up to one week (I think) to inspect watch before releasing funds.
    I didn't have those options. When questioned why the dealer responded with "it's the system that automatically closes the transaction after having checked the effective delivery".

SydR
    I didn't have those options. When questioned why the dealer responded with "it's the system that automatically closes the transaction after having checked the effective delivery".
    Depends on the courier used.

I have bought a few watches of C24 and those send Fedex automatically updated to receipted. Looks like UPS may be the same. With others I have to acknowledge receipt.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Depends on the courier used.

I have bought a few watches of C24 and those send Fedex automatically updated to receipted. Looks like UPS may be the same. With others I have to acknowledge receipt.
    Thanks. So you're an ardent fan of c24 then?

SydR
    Thanks. So you're an ardent fan of c24 then?
    I would not call a few watches, over a number of years, an avid fan.

I have had two transactions that have not worked out as planned and went to arbitration. Both were revolved quickly and to my satisfaction.

In all I personally feel it is safer than Facebook though prices can be a little higher.