closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big Gaming Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Nowadays I play with a PS4 Pro with the hard drive upgraded to SSD. I haven’t bothered with the PS5 yet, maybe in a year or so. When the sequel to Sniper Elite 4 comes out I’ll dive in for sure, as I play mostly SE4.
    SE4 is a great game, one of the very few that I've stuck with and finished. Can't be bothered with all the running around and shooting I much prefer to take my time and have a few beers. I only upgrade consoles when a new XCOM game comes out so until that happens I'll be sticking with my PS4 and hoping Chimera Squad makes an appearance at some point

Nowadays I play with a PS4 Pro with the hard drive upgraded to SSD. I haven’t bothered with the PS5 yet, maybe in a year or so. When the sequel to Sniper Elite 4 comes out I’ll dive in for sure, as I play mostly SE4.
    I’ve no desire to upgrade to PS5 at the moment, particularly as I’d need a new tv to get anything from the improved graphics…my TV isn’t even 4K so I suspect upgrading the TV , I’d be impressed with the PS4 Pro.

Also waiting to see where Sony go with VR.

I must admit I’ve struggled to get my head around PC gaming. Bang for buck still favours the consoles IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    PC Gamer here, running a trusty GeForce GTX 1070Ti, from Nov 2018.

Has anyone had any experience upgrading to the new NVidia cards? If so, firstly, how the h*ll did you manage to buy one?

Current generation graphics cards are harder to get than Sports Rolex models. They are used for mining the Etherium Cryptocurrency, and any cards that do come up for sale are quickly re-sold at twice the price. The situation is supposed to be getting better by the end of the year.

I’m a gamer of old from the early 80s when my father used to have an arcade and I had many home computers and consoles.

I’ve reignited my passion of retro gaming over lockdown as I find I have pockets of time to fill now working from home!

So the only original equipment I kept was my old Atari 2600 and collection of around 100 cartridges which sits in the man cave (garage!)

And my Vectrex.... in my office

I rely on a RetroPie set up with 27500 games on it to play the following consoles and computers - a fairly comprehensive library of the game’s available for them

Adventurevision
    Amiga CD32
    Amiga
    Apple II
    Apple IIgs
    Amstrad CPC
    Arcadia Arcade
    Atari 2600
    Atari 5200
    Atari 7800
    Atari 8-Bit Computer
    Atari Lynx
    Bally Astrocade
    Bandai Wonderswan
    ColecoVision
    Commodore 64
    Commodore VIC-20
    Daphne
    Fairchild Channel F
    Handhelds
    Intellivision
    MSX
    Neo-Geo
    Neo-Geo Pocket Color
    Nintendo 64
    Nintendo DS
    Nintendo Entertainment System
    Nintendo Famicom
    Nintendo Famicom Disk System
    Nintendo Gameboy
    Nintendo Gameboy Advance
    Nintendo Gameboy Color
    Nintendo Super Famicom
    Nintendo Super NES
    Odyssey 2
    Sega 32X
    Sega CD
    Sega Dreamcast
    Sega Game Gear
    Sega Genesis / Mega Drive Sega Master System
    Sega SG-1000
    Sony PlayStation
    Sony PSP - Playstation Portable
    TI-99/4A
    TurboGrafx-16
    Vectrex
    Virtual Boy
    ZX Spectrum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bootsy; 21st May 2021 at 18:45.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The MW issues are really winding me up. I've reinstalled the entire game 3x now which isn't a quick task and still some of the multiplayer maps won't load due to the infamous "transmission error". Anyone else suffering the same? I've tried removing certain packs and no luck.
    If this is on PlayStation I finally fixed it for me.

There are 2 packs in the PlayStation store, I can’t remember the exact names but one is a campaign pack and the other a spec ops pack or something.

They are both about 1.8mb if you install both after it makes you install all of the large gb files the issue should hopefully be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    SE4 is a great game, one of the very few that I've stuck with and finished. Can't be bothered with all the running around and shooting I much prefer to take my time and have a few beers. I only upgrade consoles when a new XCOM game comes out so until that happens I'll be sticking with my PS4 and hoping Chimera Squad makes an appearance at some point
    I’ve played the campaign at least a dozen times. I used to love silence and stealth. Now I like to go co-op with a mate and just run and gun. Mostly I play survival though. It’s good fun to play co-op with a good team of four.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I’ve no desire to upgrade to PS5 at the moment, particularly as I’d need a new tv to get anything from the improved graphics…my TV isn’t even 4K so I suspect upgrading the TV , I’d be impressed with the PS4 Pro.

Also waiting to see where Sony go with VR.

I must admit I’ve struggled to get my head around PC gaming. Bang for buck still favours the consoles IMO.
    I used to play with PC. It’s just too much hassle to get everything working right, not to mention the cost of a proper rig. I switched back to consoles for both ease of use and lower costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    I’m a gamer of old from the early 80s when my father used to have an arcade and I had many home computers and consoles.

I rely on a RetroPie set up with 27500 games on it to play the following consoles and computers - a fairly comprehensive library of the game’s available for them

That sounds an interesting idea, the Retropie and something I've not heard of before. Are they easily available and to set up?

Master
    I’ve recently built a MiSTer FPGA and got an 8bitdo arcade stick to go with it. I actually prefer the simplistic interface to that of my Retropie. Some of the Neogeo and PC Engine games look absolutely stunning only my OLED CX48 with inky black backgrounds. Happy days 😃

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I’ve recently built a MiSTer FPGA and got an 8bitdo arcade stick to go with it. I actually prefer the simplistic interface to that of my Retropie. Some of the Neogeo and PC Engine games look absolutely stunning only my OLED CX48 with inky black backgrounds. Happy days 
    Blimey this thread has all of a sudden turn into a rabbit hole for me. Do you have any links for this at all please? Not heard of these.

Master
    I was a big fan of the Amiga in the late 80’s and early 90’s and stumbled across this site where you can play all the classics (Alien Breed, Sensible Soccer etc).
    Prepare to loose hours just scrolling though all the games and the sound and music bring back great memories (Magic Pockets, Lotus Turbo II).

https://gamesnostalgia.com/games/latest

Enjoy.
    Neil

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Blimey this thread has all of a sudden turn into a rabbit hole for me. Do you have any links for this at all please? Not heard of these.
    Google DE10 nano. I got mine from here https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/product...tech/de10-nano
    UK supplier of parts https://misterfpga.co.uk/

See this video for what it does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfIwDC2F2lc

Or check out Smoke Monsters YT videos for info on the individual cores.

The really cool thing is it can also be an Amiga or BBC Micro or an Archimedes or a ZX Spectrum etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    That sounds an interesting idea, the Retropie and something I've not heard of before. Are they easily available and to set up?
    many build their own - mine came from an ex games developer in States who’s spent many hours refining his version plus recruited many testers so that the majority of the 27500 games all play well

theres a bit of an art to getting one but PM me if you’d like details

Just finished the Lost Legacy on PS4. Really good final chapter in the Uncharted series especially as I wasn’t really expecting much from it. Recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Just finished the Lost Legacy on PS4. Really good final chapter in the Uncharted series especially as I wasn’t really expecting much from it. Recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy are great games. Easily in my top ten. The story is so good it’s almost like an interactive movie, while being a proper game at the same time. A little lacking in the replay value as they are so linear.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Google DE10 nano. I got mine from here https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/product...tech/de10-nano
    UK supplier of parts https://misterfpga.co.uk/

See this video for what it does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfIwDC2F2lc

Or check out Smoke Monsters YT videos for info on the individual cores.

The really cool thing is it can also be an Amiga or BBC Micro or an Archimedes or a ZX Spectrum etc etc etc
    Thanks for the info I'll take a look

If you like Horror then the evil within game is great.

I have never died so many horrible grizzly deaths in the first hour of a game.

I even hid in a locker and the bad guy shoved a chainsaw through the door, it was hilarious and disturbing at the same time.

Journeyman
    I have also been the fan of PlayStation since PS2 but I still can't understand why Blizzard don't want to make WoW available for these consoles *shrug my shoulders* I even bought an account here with item level of 198 and 5000 gold to get ready for rumble but my fav console doesn't have the preference of having WoW :(
    Last edited by Owren; 14th June 2021 at 16:18.

I started playing The Last of Us for the first time on Monday. I’m about 3 hours in and have been really enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I started playing The Last of Us for the first time on Monday. I’m about 3 hours in and have been really enjoying it.
    This and it’s sequel are on my list!

I’ve actually just started playing Fortnite…I know, late to the game! But so far have played Battle Royale squads…is it just me or is it really easy? I’ve played 7 matches so far and won 3 and came 2nd in two. The only ones I died in I was killed by AI in specific locations (not realising you came across AI enemies)! Still finding it good fun for a blast.

This and it’s sequel are on my list!

I’ve actually just started playing Fortnite…I know, late to the game! But so far have played Battle Royale squads…is it just me or is it really easy? I’ve played 7 matches so far and won 3 and came 2nd in two. The only ones I died in I was killed by AI in specific locations (not realising you came across AI enemies)! Still finding it good fun for a blast.

It has skill based matchmaking so if your account is new, you'll get matched with similarly new people. The more games you play, the better the opponents.
    It gets a lot tougher!

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    It has skill based matchmaking so if your account is new, you'll get matched with similarly new people. The more games you play, the better the opponents.
    It gets a lot tougher!
    That’s good to know. Otherwise I think it would get boring.

Currently playing through 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim on PS4 Pro whilst taking a break from Persona 5. I do like my niche games.

Edit: Just started Policenauts on the Saturn, an early Hideo Kojima (of Metal Gear fame) game. There's an English translation available which makes this playable for us non-Japanese speakers.
    Last edited by Grandiloquence; 10th June 2021 at 19:30.

Any recommendations in the PS Store sale? Mass Effect Legendary Edition is 36% off, any good?

Any recommendations in the PS Store sale? Mass Effect Legendary Edition is 36% off, any good?
    I’ve been playing Far Cry 6 for the last couple of weeks. It’s a great game if you’re into FC type mayhem shooters. At 50€ (suppose it’s similar £ in the UK store) it’s pretty good VFM for a brand new A-list game.

It does have some new game issues that may or may not get fixed with updates, so if you’re really sensitive for occasional screen tearing or missing HUD customisations then it’s better to wait some months.

Always a good idea to renew your PS Plus and/or PS Now subscription around BF as well.

I’ve been playing Far Cry 6 for the last couple of weeks. It’s a great game if you’re into FC type mayhem shooters. At 50€ (suppose it’s similar £ in the UK store) it’s pretty good VFM for a brand new A-list game.

It does have some new game issues that may or may not get fixed with updates, so if you’re really sensitive for occasional screen tearing or missing HUD customisations then it’s better to wait some months.

Always a good idea to renew your PS Plus and/or PS Now subscription around BF as well.
    Yep, going to do subs as they’re down to £33 for year. Last of Us 2 also in sale. I’ve not played either so might try those too.

Craftsman
    I can recommend Far Cry 6 too. I play on PC, and I have been enjoying FC6 so much I have splashed out on various upgrades: CPU, memory, PSU, and the big one, a GeForce RTX 3060 Ti. Well, it is cheaper than a new watch.

Master
    Slightly tangental to the original question, but I’ve just picked up couple of PS5s. What game would you recommend ?

Last time I bought a console there were lots of options but don’t seem to be too many for the PS5.

Not necessarily looking for shoot’em up type more adventure, mission and possible multiple player type.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Slightly tangental to the original question, but I’ve just picked up couple of PS5s. What game would you recommend ?

Last time I bought a console there were lots of options but don’t seem to be too many for the PS5.

Not necessarily looking for shoot’em up type more adventure, mission and possible multiple player type.
    That’s a problem with PS5 innit. I bought one ’cause I stumbled upon one by coincidence. I figured I might as well upgrade there and then so as not to get caught in a queue with a big game waiting. For now Far Cry 6 is the only really interesting game for me that has a proper PS5 version. Good thing is there loads of excellent PS4 games available for very little money.

The Astro’s Playroom that comes free with every PS5 is really excellent though. Sony made it to really showcase the new controller, that’s excellent BTW, and it’s very much worth your while to play.

Master
    Yep, going to do subs as they’re down to £33 for year. Last of Us 2 also in sale. I’ve not played either so might try those too.
    So if I have X months left, am I able to buy another incremental 52 weeks, also then tying my renewal to BF?

Rarely online but the free games make it great (some months!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    So if I have X months left, am I able to buy another incremental 52 weeks, also then tying my renewal to BF?

I think so, they are offering a 12 month sub for £33 so if you bought now you get 12 months from now would be my guess. I’ve not bought it before so will be first time for me and therefore hopefully tied to regular BF discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

You are able to buy incremental 52 weeks, but your renewal won’t be tied to BF. It will be tied to your existing X months plus the new 52 weeks. My Plus was going to expire in May. Just bought the additional year and now it’s going to expire in May -23, which would be the renewal date.

Master
    You are able to buy incremental 52 weeks, but your renewal won’t be tied to BF. It will be tied to your existing X months plus the new 52 weeks. My Plus was going to expire in May. Just bought the additional year and now it’s going to expire in May -23, which would be the renewal date.
    Ah ok thank you for the explanation.

Never been a gamer but recently got the Xbox Series S primarily for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Never had a PC able to run it properly. Incredible achievement by Microsoft/ Asobo. Looks fantastic and a major time sink...

As for other titles, I have zero inclination in shooting, killing or blowing stuff up which severely restricts choices. Howver, looking forward to Tropico 6, Tomb Raider (got the Definitive Survior Trilogy from MS Store for 18 quid - bargain). And massively looking forward to the upcoming release of Crusader Kings III forXbox Series S|X.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Never been a gamer but recently got the Xbox Series S primarily for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. Never had a PC able to run it properly. Incredible achievement by Microsoft/ Asobo. Looks fantastic and a major time sink...

As for other titles, I have zero inclination in shooting, killing or blowing stuff up which severely restricts choices. Howver, looking forward to Tropico 6, Tomb Raider (got the Definitive Survior Trilogy from MS Store for 18 quid - bargain). And massively looking forward to the upcoming release of Crusader Kings III forXbox Series S|X.
    Another option that doesn't involve shooting/blowing things up is Forza, I just got the new one and enjoying it so far!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Played the new Halo muliplayer and i cound not tell the difference from the last game lol. Its just a re-hash of the same old thing

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Played the new Halo muliplayer and i cound not tell the difference from the last game lol. Its just a re-hash of the same old thing
    Think that’s what the community was after, better frame rate, better graphics to bring it inline with new gen but with the same classic halo feel and at least it looks like a finished game rather than the BF 2042 and vanguard patch up job

Anyone know if Cyberpunk is still struggling on PS4 Pro. It’s in the sale for £20 and I’ve wanted to try it but wary of the performance issues.

Anyone know if Cyberpunk is still struggling on PS4 Pro. It’s in the sale for £20 and I’ve wanted to try it but wary of the performance issues.
    It is still struggling. It mostly locks to 30fps but doesn’t have that much in the way of NPC detail. I bought it for £20 with the hope that the free next gen upgrade will sort performance out on the PS5. Until then it will sit uninstalled in my library.

I’ve really been enjoying my new Series X. So far I’ve been playing Flight Simulator and Forza Horizons 5. I have Game Pass Ultimate so will install a few more games now that I have the storage expansion card which arrived today.
    Last edited by Phil Lee; 30th December 2021 at 18:10.

So owning both Xbox Series X and PS5 for a while and having a chance to explore both I'd say that as it stands the Xbox has the better games and in fact if you subscribe to the monthly Xbox Game Pass you get access to a load of them for not much money.

On the PS5 the best game I've played by some distance was Ratchet And Clank - absolutely not the sort of game I'd usually play but it is stunning. I think that whilst the Xbox has the better overall offering Ratchet and Clank is the best game available on both (and it is PS5 only).

Other superb games that took a lot of my time include Halo Infinite (Xbox), Assassins Creed Valhalla (this is brilliant, both consoles).

Master
    Currently hooked on Deathloop on PS5, anyone else? At first it’s a bit bewildering and hard to know if you’re progressing. But once you get your head around it and start building up an arsenal of weapons and powers, it’s epic. A Goldeneye and Timesplitters nostalgia-fest in some ways (on hard setting!), and the most fun since those games, while also being less linear, deeper, and vastly more advanced / next-gen.

If you don't have a Switch but are into Zelda type games, "Fenyx Rising," is good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Currently hooked on Deathloop on PS5, anyone else? At first it’s a bit bewildering and hard to know if you’re progressing. But once you get your head around it and start building up an arsenal of weapons and powers, it’s epic. A Goldeneye and Timesplitters nostalgia-fest in some ways (on hard setting!), and the most fun since those games, while also being less linear, deeper, and vastly more advanced / next-gen.
    Saw it -50% so bought it.
    Just waiting for it to arrive.
    Heard it’s great.

You can play as Mr Bean in Cyberpunk now:

https://youtu.be/izWxL2mhPvQ

https://youtu.be/ULfjoCqEo6I

Starts midnight!

Craftsman
    Had been looking forward to sniper elite 5 coming out for months, bought a copy the other day and am totally underwhelmed. Not a patch on 4, not worth the £42 I paid.

Journeyman
    That’s a shame, I really enjoyed 4. What’s not so good about it?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    That’s a shame, I really enjoyed 4. What’s not so good about it?
    They have the cloud that they used on 3 that tells you where the enemy are as you get closer. You can stand next to a German and he won’t notice you, they hunt you for 10 seconds then switch off. It does seem a rip off of SE 3, graphics aren’t as good as 4 either.

Journeyman
    Thanks. I’ll have to see if I can get a demo of it before buying.

No Man's Sky continues be be great, with lots of free updates and new content / expansions. The latest 'expedition' (a series of linked missions) is rather challenging, in several ways.

The Planet Crafter (on Steam) is a fun survival (against the elements, no enemies or monsters) planet terraforming game. Still early access, and relatively short, but good fun.

I must disagree about Sniper Elite 5. The graphics are a big step up from SE4. It’s not quite up to the best modern standards, just like SE4 wasn’t in its time. It’s true there are numerous bugs and glitches and the AI will sometimes freeze. Thus far I’ve only played the campaign, about halfway through and I’ve really enjoyed it. I’ll admit that SE4 was one of my all time favourite games so I’m something of a fan. Disclaimer: I only play on the most difficult settings, so it may be worse on easier settings.

If you’re not a die hard fan it may be wise to wait for a while. I bet it’ll be a lot cheaper in 2023 and they’ll have ironed out the worst creases by then. You can also get it as part of the Game Pass.