closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Big Gaming Thread

Master
    Starfield , stuck with it for a month , first couple of weeks were okay but after compmeting most of the larger side quests the main one became boring and repetative to the point I gave up on it .

The general gameplay is just so dull , combat is zero challenge , space combat feels like a pointless minigame . Base building , crafting all feels pointless and boring . Companions are a hazard greater than the enemy in combat. no real sense of exploration. 5/10 for me .

I whipped through WWZ and back 4 blood and had a good time on both .

Vampire Survivors is just brilliant addictive bullet hell fun .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Starfield , stuck with it for a month , first couple of weeks were okay but after compmeting most of the larger side quests the main one became boring and repetative to the point I gave up on it .

The general gameplay is just so dull , combat is zero challenge , space combat feels like a pointless minigame . Base building , crafting all feels pointless and boring . Companions are a hazard greater than the enemy in combat. no real sense of exploration. 5/10 for me .
    Give 'No Man's Sky' a go as an alternative.. I have it on my Switch (bought on sale) and I think its free on GamePass.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
    Give 'No Man's Sky' a go as an alternative.. I have it on my Switch (bought on sale) and I think its free on GamePass.
    I did . It was okay but I got tired of it. I was one of the backers for Elite Dangerous and never bothered to play it . Loved the originals especially Frontier for the somewhat realistic space flight physics but never got the enthusiasm up for Dangerous .

Loving Vampire Survivors though , its crazy addictive and I was skeptical at first .

Master
    Cyberpunk 2077 I had fun on despite the bugs , friends say the updated version amd dlc is good fun so I might jump back into that once I get rehab to get me off Vampire Survivors .

Craftsman
    I've been hooked on Zelda Tears of the Kingdom since Christmas. Playing it on Switch OLED both docked and undocked depending if the TV is available!

What a game - it has everything. The map is huge and interesting. The main quest is great but there is so much else to do. And it looks gorgeous. This is the first Zelda game I've played since Ocarina of Time back on the N64 and it's giving me the same enjoyment.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Anyone with a Nintendo Switch, B&M bargains have some... well... bargains.

Half a dozen game gift bundles left over from Xmas now reduced to clear. They were already good value at 20 quid but I've just got the Monster Jam game with Joycon steering wheel for 12 quid and the big sports peripherals bundle for a fiver!!
    I'm going back tomorrow for Destroy All Humans (comes with a set of headphones) and possible the Martian Panic shooting one.
    They also had some Mario branded controllers (only Yoshi left) for £14 which seems very cheap for a Switch controller.
    Get thee to a B&M Bargains and hoover up their treasures.

Do we have any other Star Citizen players on here?

I've been into it for about four years now. Though most of the community is waiting for the next patch atm. It's pre-alpha and definitely niche.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Do we have any other Star Citizen players on here?

I've been into it for about four years now. Though most of the community is waiting for the next patch atm. It's pre-alpha and definitely niche.
    Remember getting it when I purchased my old 290x . Just remember not even being able to get in my ship. Not played it since. Might have to have a look at some stage. Is just like elite d?

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Remember getting it when I purchased my old 290x . Just remember not even being able to get in my ship. Not played it since. Might have to have a look at some stage. Is just like elite d?
    If you haven't played it for many years then you'll find it's changed one heck of a lot. Still buggy and in never ending development oc, but very playable.

I've only ever watched ED being streamed, but imo SC is a much better and deeper game.

One thing you do need for SC is a fairly good PC set-up though. It's quite demanding in that regard.

The Elden ring DLC is out in a few months, looking forward to playing that. I have started again as my old character was in NG7 or something. Enjoying starting it again with a fresh character.

Journeyman
    Not long watched the Borderlands film trailer. Back off I go to start the entire franchise from the very 1st again? Fortunately Xbox X can play 360 games...

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    The Elden ring DLC is out in a few months, looking forward to playing that. I have started again as my old character was in NG7 or something. Enjoying starting it again with a fresh character.
    Just bought a Steam Deck and Elden is top of my wishlist right now!

Master
    Having bought a VR2 headset for my PS5 I’m loving GT7 all over again. Yes the graphics are not as good but the immersion is astounding.

I’d say the headset is a better addition than the steering wheel. With both it is bloody marvellous, although trying to find the right button is a challenge vs a controller.

The track undulations on the ring are amazing and it has gone from being a track I loathed to one I really enjoy a quick lap of. As for the corkscrew at Laguna, wow it’s a proper stomach churning moment.

Rx lenses that clip over the internal lenses arrived today, so much better than glasses inside the headset too.

Some of the other demos are interesting. Horizon has a climbing aspect that as someone who doesn’t enjoy heights had my hands so clammy I had to take a break.

Started to play age of empires 4 on xbox as its on the game pass. For a old game its actually pretty fun, lots of strategic building, worth a try if you like building / strategy games.

Steam Spring Sale is now on. Lots of bargains to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Steam Spring Sale is now on. Lots of bargains to be had.
    Just bought Cyberpunk and Days Gone for my Deck!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Just bought Cyberpunk and Days Gone for my Deck!
    I love gaming on the Steam Deck!

I've been all consumed by Balatro recently, but loving Dave The Diver too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Started to play age of empires 4 on xbox as its on the game pass. For a old game its actually pretty fun, lots of strategic building, worth a try if you like building / strategy games.
    Got it on PC the other day, but I gave up after the first tutorial - it was just too twitchy, too much constant time pressure to push the right button. I played an earlier version a long time ago, but my reaction times and patience are not what they once were.

Courtesy of a thread on PistonHeads I was made aware of this upcoming mod for Fallout 4.

https://youtu.be/LKLI5glipHY?si=vAl4OCWwe_VA1Mgw

To call it a Mod is a huge understatement on my part.

PC only
    Last edited by Matt London; 21st March 2024 at 11:00. Reason: Clarification

For the last month I’ve been using GeForce Now Ultimate to play a number of games on my Steam Deck and PC. It’s not cheap (£100 for 6 months) but you do get access to a 4800 rig. It’s working really well. I can run Witcher 3 on maxed out settings including max ray tracing at 60fps on the Deck and 120fps on my PC (1080ti/9700K).

For the last month I’ve been using GeForce Now Ultimate to play a number of games on my Steam Deck and PC. It’s not cheap (£100 for 6 months) but you do get access to a 4800 rig. It’s working really well. I can run Witcher 3 on maxed out settings including max ray tracing at 60fps on the Deck and 120fps on my PC (1080ti/9700K).
    I clearly have only just reached the entrance to the rabbit hole!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I clearly have only just reached the entrance to the rabbit hole!!
    It’s great because you’re using the virtual machine to do all the heavy lifting. The Steam Deck streams the video output from the internet. I’m seeing big improvements to battery life. I can game this way for 6+ hours if I wanted.

It uses around 6GB of data per hour of streaming so you need good network speed.

It synchronises your game libraries from Steam, GOG and Game Pass. It also can access your Epic library but doesn’t know what games you have.

It does not support every game. There are 1884 games playable on GeForce NOW so you need to check what you want to play is there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone play hell on earth? Think it's a great game although I never know what I'm doing on it.

Last game I played all the way through and enjoyed was halo infinite.

Very interesting, any noticeable input lag/delay? I currently have a gaming PC but wanted a Mac, part of the reason I built it was to keep games an option.

On that note very much looking forward to playing the finally announced Ghost of Tsushima on PC for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Very interesting, any noticeable input lag/delay? I currently have a gaming PC but wanted a Mac, part of the reason I built it was to keep games an option.
    I’ve mainly played Witcher 3 and don’t notice any latency. I’m sure it’s there but on that type of single player game I wouldn’t be too worried.

They do offer a day pass if you want to try it out.

I’ve decided to upgrade my sim racing rig. I’ve ordered a 7800X3D, mobo, 32GB RAM, PSU, 1TB M.2 SSD and a 4070 Super. Everything arrives today.

It’s replacing a 9700k/1080ti rig and will be my first AMD rig for more than 20 years.

Just recently got Days Gone for my Steam deck. Missed the PlayStation release. Must say I’m hooked. Already given it 40hrs of my life!! Highly recommended and for what I paid (£9.99 I think) fantastic value!

Journeyman
    I’ve decided to upgrade my sim racing rig. I’ve ordered a 7800X3D, mobo, 32GB RAM, PSU, 1TB M.2 SSD and a 4070 Super. Everything arrives today.

It’s replacing a 9700k/1080ti rig and will be my first AMD rig for more than 20 years.
    How bizarre... I've purchased the exact same to replace the exact same CPU (and a 2080). You obv have made an excellent choice....

I'm going ITX

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

The system is built, for the moment in my old case, but I have a case on the way. The build was easy and I went for a fresh Windows 11 install. Ran a few game benchmarks, getting really good results on my 1440p display.

My new rig arrived yesterday.

7800X3D
    32Gb DDR5 5600
    TUF x670e
    4080 Super

It’s a monster :)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    My new rig arrived yesterday.

7800X3D
    32Gb DDR5 5600
    TUF x670e
    4080 Super

It’s a monster :)
    Looks like we're all building with the same components!

Mine was built today, moved over to compact ITX. No RGB, just clean, minimal and tiny. Don't forget to enable AMD PBO and undervolt. Managed -30 offset with 80c temp limit and it's now running 6c cooler with a nice boost in performance. Next up GPU undervolt.

Ncase M1 EVO
    7800x3d
    4070 super
    32Gb 6000

I haven’t worked out in the bios how to do that. Any pointers?

Lies Of P, is on the gamepass. Played it a bit this weekend and its pretty good, souls like fighting - like Elden Ring without the open world. its pretty good, hard in places but worth a try.

Been to YouTube and taught myself about PBO. Now to do some benchmarking and tweaking. Been ages since I’ve had a new rig to set up like this and it’s a big change from Intel to AMD.

Journeyman
    I haven’t worked out in the bios how to do that. Any pointers?
    It's dead easy mate, lots of tutorials online. I haven't yet messed with the power limit to further reduce temp but a simple -30 offset and temp limit of 85c has made a decent difference

What ball park cost are these rigs? As I build my Steam library I’m tempted to add a full fat PC!

I spent £1700 on mine. That got me a Fractal Torrent case, 7800X3D CPU, X670E mobo, 4070 Super GPU, 850W PSU, 32GB DDR5 RAM and a 1TB M.2 SSD.

I used my current Windows license, monitors, Noctua cooler, 2 additional M.2 drives, 2 SATA SSDs and 2 spinning hard drives.

I spent £1700 on mine. That got me a Fractal Torrent case, 7800X3D CPU, X670E mobo, 4070 Super GPU, 850W PSU, 32GB DDR5 RAM and a 1TB M.2 SSD.

I used my current Windows license, monitors, Noctua cooler, 2 additional M.2 drives, 2 SATA SSDs and 2 spinning hard drives.

Almost the exact spec I built but with a 4080 Super and I spent £2100.

As you can tell I’m new to PC gaming, how long do you expect that to last before needing to upgrade the GPU/CPU?

Journeyman
    I have almost the same system as above, upgrading every 3 years or so, but the beauty of building your own is that you can keep upgrade paths in mind. So I know my next upgrade will not be an entire system, but probably just my 4070super GPU.

For gaming the GPU really is the main costs and impact. If you're new consider buying a rig from 3-5 years ago for 400-600 with last gen GPU. I'm selling my old pc right now with 9700k for £300 (without GPU). Whack a £200 2080 in it and it's very capable and good value. You'd then be able see if you 'want more'. It really does depend on what games you play, and what monitor resolution and FPS.

I'm normally a fan of building my own PC, but this time around I found a fantastic pre-built machine:

https://www.palicomp.co.uk/amd-altf4-alt4

I changed the case for a stunning Fractal North in White and removed the 2TB HDD.

I’ve put together the completed build at PC Partpicker:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/TMt8TW