closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Big Gaming Thread

Hybrid View

The Big Gaming Thread

Just reading the PSA on Xbox series S and it struck me as there being lots of knowledge on the forum that would be useful for a wider audience to get involved in and many can’t see Sales Corner.

So here’s a thread for all gaming related chat.

To kick off has anyone seen the PSVR2 announcement? I like the look and sound of the new controllers but I think VR optics have a way to go yet.

I’m a PS player generally and have been since the PS1. I’m on the PS4 Pro now and haven’t felt the need to upgrade. I’m guessing at some point there will be a mid life upgrade so wondering if I should wait. My TV would need replacing I think to get the most out of a PS5 so it starts looking like an expensive upgrade.

What about dedicated monitors, does anyone play their PS5 or Xbox Series on a dedicated monitor rather than a TV?

Discuss 👍🏻

Xbox Series X here. I have it in the bedroom and got a Samsung UHD telly from Argos for around £400 and it looks amazing on it.

What I find is the framerate (60hz but sometimes 100hz) in Ultra High Definition makes a much more immersive playing experience. Not that much out yet that is compelling although Assassins Creed Valhalla was superb.

I was going to make this thread so you beat me to it. I was not expecting so much traffic on my PSA thread and think it needs a thread of its own

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Xbox Series X here. I have it in the bedroom and got a Samsung UHD telly from Argos for around £400 and it looks amazing on it.

What I find is the framerate (60hz but sometimes 100hz) in Ultra High Definition makes a much more immersive playing experience. Not that much out yet that is compelling although Assassins Creed Valhalla was superb.
    I’ve read a fair bit and even though the PS4 Pro is 4K ready, I think my focus is more on frame rate for a monitor/tv as the types of game I like to play are fast action with lots going on.

To be fair though I get just as much please urge playing my SNES and N64!!

Master
    I got the xbox x and to be honest I'm wondering why.
    The games I'm currently playing on it are all xbox ONE titles, the framerate isn't noticeably better, it's no quieter or prettier... I'm wishing I held off another 6 months really.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    The games I'm currently playing on it are all xbox ONE titles, the framerate isn't noticeably better, it's no quieter or prettier... I'm wishing I held off another 6 months really.
    I already had a gamepass ultimate subscription so just went for the xbox all access deal at £28.99 a month. Game Pass Ultimate and a series X sorted. I previously had an OG xbox one so the difference in performance and the redustion in noise is good.

The Bethesda back catalogue is keeping me busy right now and Outriders come to GP on day one is a bonus. Its definitley not for everyone but I'm enjoying it.

I have a PS4 Pro but have barely touched it due to owning a Switch and being more interested in my collection of older consoles. I have just swapped out my Dreamcast's (owned since release day!) GDRom drive for a GDEmu which basically drops right in and allows you to load games off an SD card.
    I also have my original PlayStation in bits in preparation for a similar operation. That one's a bit more complicated as it requires some soldering to get it fitted but I enjoy that sort of stuff anyway!

I'll grab a PS5 at some point but I'll wait until the games catalogue fills out a bit with stuff that I might be interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I have to agree with this, I caved in after Christmas and got one off facebook market place for £500 - £50 more than RRP, was playing lots of vahalla at the time and looked forward to a big improvement but it did not happen. The games load much faster and do look a little better but not by a lot. I have a decent TV a sony xe9005 which can not use the full power of the xbox.

I did have a nice collection of N64 games and 2 consoles which somehow got lost in my move a few years ago, most annoying was the golden eye disk had all of the hidden cheats unlocked. It took hundreds of attempts to do the facility one, was like a robot towards the end! that was a good game way back when

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

TV Hz nothing to do with Frames per Second. What this next gen consoles will eventually deliver.

Craftsman
    Upgraded just before Christmas from the PS4 Pro to PS5. I really like the upgraded user interface but I’m not much of a fan of the design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Big Gaming Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Upgraded just before Christmas from the PS4 Pro to PS5. I really like the upgraded user interface but I’m not much of a fan of the design.

Quite the opposite here!

The game I play, won’t be getting a PS5 version for at least another 18 months, but I just couldn’t resist the look of it. Absolutely love PS5 disk design!

Last edited by Toshk; 24th March 2021 at 22:53.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Quite the opposite here!

The game I play, won’t be getting a PS5 version for at least another 18 months, but I just couldn’t resist the look of it. Absolutely love PS5 disk design!

I think that might be a bit of a restrictive space for airflow as they can get pretty warm.

Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    I think that might be a bit of a restrictive space for airflow as they can get pretty warm.
    So far no issue, but I don’t really play more than hour or so, two three times a week.

I have a PS5 Digital which I got in February. So far I've been really happy with it. I've mostly played AC Valhalla and latterly I've put 30+ hours into Ghost of Tsushima. These titles both benefit from the 60fps they get on the PS5. Ghost in particular looks stunning. I've got the updated Spider-Man and Miles Morales games which I'm going to play next. I gave the God of War update a brief test. That also looks amazing in 4K60. It's a shame I've finished that game otherwise I'd have jumped right into that. The selection fo 20 games you get for free when you buy the console with a PS Plus account is a nice bonus too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    So far no issue, but I don’t really play more than hour or so, two three times a week.
    It probably isn't ideal for the longer term but you could always add some ventilation holes behind. Luckily the PS5 intakes from the front and sends it out the back so it is not recycling hot air. A Series X would probably struggle in there horizontally.

I've got both a PS5 and Xbox Series X and the best thing about them I find is the reduced load times and also the quick resume feature.

I'm guessing that TV isn't ultra high definition as I played valhalla on Xbox One and then on Xbox series x and the difference is massive as long as the TV is high definition

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Almost the same as you Brighty however I normally wait a year or so for a few more games to come out and assess reliability before deciding.

I’m currently on the fence with building a gaming PC but see the assigned budget get obliterated every time I look 😭

Journeyman
    Any pc gamers here? Or is that one ripe for a new thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom91 View Post
    I'm a member of the PC Master Race.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I'm a member of the PC Master Race.
    Very funny!

My PC gaming revolves around racing sims using a Rift S.

I’ve never got into the Hitman series. At the moment there is a Hitman 3 free starter pack available to download for the PS5 (and other platforms). It lets you play older content using the new engine so I downloaded it and am playing the Hitman 1 levels I got free with PS+ a year or so ago. I’ve also bought Hitman 2 in the Spring Sale with an 80% discount which can also be played in the Hitman 3 starter pack. I’ll pick up Hitman 3 when that is reduced more than the current 25% (after I’ve finished 1 and 2).

Yes, for many years. Mainly stuff like Anno these days. My online FPS days are long behind me now!

Thinking of getting the re-release of Star Wars Republic Commando for the PS4/PS5 that has just come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Thinking of getting the re-release of Star Wars Republic Commando for the PS4/PS5 that has just come out.
    I saw that, I might give it a go, plus my son is mad on Star Wars games! Only £11.99. Was the original release good? It’s not one I played.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I saw that, I might give it a go, plus my son is mad on Star Wars games! Only £11.99. Was the original release good? It’s not one I played.
    I never played the original but from what I have read, it is one of the most highly respected Star Wars games. You can't really go wrong for £11.99.

The MW issues are really winding me up. I've reinstalled the entire game 3x now which isn't a quick task and still some of the multiplayer maps won't load due to the infamous "transmission error". Anyone else suffering the same? I've tried removing certain packs and no luck.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The MW issues are really winding me up. I've reinstalled the entire game 3x now which isn't a quick task and still some of the multiplayer maps won't load due to the infamous "transmission error". Anyone else suffering the same? I've tried removing certain packs and no luck.
    If this is on PlayStation I finally fixed it for me.

There are 2 packs in the PlayStation store, I can’t remember the exact names but one is a campaign pack and the other a spec ops pack or something.

They are both about 1.8mb if you install both after it makes you install all of the large gb files the issue should hopefully be fixed.

I’m a gamer of old from the early 80s when my father used to have an arcade and I had many home computers and consoles.

I’ve reignited my passion of retro gaming over lockdown as I find I have pockets of time to fill now working from home!

So the only original equipment I kept was my old Atari 2600 and collection of around 100 cartridges which sits in the man cave (garage!)

And my Vectrex.... in my office

I rely on a RetroPie set up with 27500 games on it to play the following consoles and computers - a fairly comprehensive library of the game’s available for them

Adventurevision
    Amiga CD32
    Amiga
    Apple II
    Apple IIgs
    Amstrad CPC
    Arcadia Arcade
    Atari 2600
    Atari 5200
    Atari 7800
    Atari 8-Bit Computer
    Atari Lynx
    Bally Astrocade
    Bandai Wonderswan
    ColecoVision
    Commodore 64
    Commodore VIC-20
    Daphne
    Fairchild Channel F
    Handhelds
    Intellivision
    MSX
    Neo-Geo
    Neo-Geo Pocket Color
    Nintendo 64
    Nintendo DS
    Nintendo Entertainment System
    Nintendo Famicom
    Nintendo Famicom Disk System
    Nintendo Gameboy
    Nintendo Gameboy Advance
    Nintendo Gameboy Color
    Nintendo Super Famicom
    Nintendo Super NES
    Odyssey 2
    Sega 32X
    Sega CD
    Sega Dreamcast
    Sega Game Gear
    Sega Genesis / Mega Drive Sega Master System
    Sega SG-1000
    Sony PlayStation
    Sony PSP - Playstation Portable
    TI-99/4A
    TurboGrafx-16
    Vectrex
    Virtual Boy
    ZX Spectrum

Last edited by Bootsy; 21st May 2021 at 18:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    I’m a gamer of old from the early 80s when my father used to have an arcade and I had many home computers and consoles.

I rely on a RetroPie set up with 27500 games on it to play the following consoles and computers - a fairly comprehensive library of the game’s available for them

That sounds an interesting idea, the Retropie and something I've not heard of before. Are they easily available and to set up?

Master
    I’ve recently built a MiSTer FPGA and got an 8bitdo arcade stick to go with it. I actually prefer the simplistic interface to that of my Retropie. Some of the Neogeo and PC Engine games look absolutely stunning only my OLED CX48 with inky black backgrounds. Happy days 😃

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I’ve recently built a MiSTer FPGA and got an 8bitdo arcade stick to go with it. I actually prefer the simplistic interface to that of my Retropie. Some of the Neogeo and PC Engine games look absolutely stunning only my OLED CX48 with inky black backgrounds. Happy days 
    Blimey this thread has all of a sudden turn into a rabbit hole for me. Do you have any links for this at all please? Not heard of these.

Master
    I was a big fan of the Amiga in the late 80’s and early 90’s and stumbled across this site where you can play all the classics (Alien Breed, Sensible Soccer etc).
    Prepare to loose hours just scrolling though all the games and the sound and music bring back great memories (Magic Pockets, Lotus Turbo II).

https://gamesnostalgia.com/games/latest

Enjoy.
    Neil

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Blimey this thread has all of a sudden turn into a rabbit hole for me. Do you have any links for this at all please? Not heard of these.
    Google DE10 nano. I got mine from here https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/product...tech/de10-nano
    UK supplier of parts https://misterfpga.co.uk/

See this video for what it does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfIwDC2F2lc

Or check out Smoke Monsters YT videos for info on the individual cores.

The really cool thing is it can also be an Amiga or BBC Micro or an Archimedes or a ZX Spectrum etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    That sounds an interesting idea, the Retropie and something I've not heard of before. Are they easily available and to set up?
    many build their own - mine came from an ex games developer in States who’s spent many hours refining his version plus recruited many testers so that the majority of the 27500 games all play well

theres a bit of an art to getting one but PM me if you’d like details

Just finished the Lost Legacy on PS4. Really good final chapter in the Uncharted series especially as I wasn’t really expecting much from it. Recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Just finished the Lost Legacy on PS4. Really good final chapter in the Uncharted series especially as I wasn’t really expecting much from it. Recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy are great games. Easily in my top ten. The story is so good it’s almost like an interactive movie, while being a proper game at the same time. A little lacking in the replay value as they are so linear.

Journeyman
    I have also been the fan of PlayStation since PS2 but I still can't understand why Blizzard don't want to make WoW available for these consoles *shrug my shoulders* I even bought an account here with item level of 198 and 5000 gold to get ready for rumble but my fav console doesn't have the preference of having WoW :(
    Last edited by Owren; 14th June 2021 at 16:18.

I started playing The Last of Us for the first time on Monday. I’m about 3 hours in and have been really enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I started playing The Last of Us for the first time on Monday. I’m about 3 hours in and have been really enjoying it.
    This and it’s sequel are on my list!

I’ve actually just started playing Fortnite…I know, late to the game! But so far have played Battle Royale squads…is it just me or is it really easy? I’ve played 7 matches so far and won 3 and came 2nd in two. The only ones I died in I was killed by AI in specific locations (not realising you came across AI enemies)! Still finding it good fun for a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    This and it’s sequel are on my list!

I’ve actually just started playing Fortnite…I know, late to the game! But so far have played Battle Royale squads…is it just me or is it really easy? I’ve played 7 matches so far and won 3 and came 2nd in two. The only ones I died in I was killed by AI in specific locations (not realising you came across AI enemies)! Still finding it good fun for a blast.

It has skill based matchmaking so if your account is new, you'll get matched with similarly new people. The more games you play, the better the opponents.
    It gets a lot tougher!

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    It has skill based matchmaking so if your account is new, you'll get matched with similarly new people. The more games you play, the better the opponents.
    It gets a lot tougher!
    That’s good to know. Otherwise I think it would get boring.

Master
    Slightly tangental to the original question, but I’ve just picked up couple of PS5s. What game would you recommend ?

Last time I bought a console there were lots of options but don’t seem to be too many for the PS5.

Not necessarily looking for shoot’em up type more adventure, mission and possible multiple player type.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Slightly tangental to the original question, but I’ve just picked up couple of PS5s. What game would you recommend ?

Last time I bought a console there were lots of options but don’t seem to be too many for the PS5.

Not necessarily looking for shoot’em up type more adventure, mission and possible multiple player type.
    That’s a problem with PS5 innit. I bought one ’cause I stumbled upon one by coincidence. I figured I might as well upgrade there and then so as not to get caught in a queue with a big game waiting. For now Far Cry 6 is the only really interesting game for me that has a proper PS5 version. Good thing is there loads of excellent PS4 games available for very little money.

The Astro’s Playroom that comes free with every PS5 is really excellent though. Sony made it to really showcase the new controller, that’s excellent BTW, and it’s very much worth your while to play.

So owning both Xbox Series X and PS5 for a while and having a chance to explore both I'd say that as it stands the Xbox has the better games and in fact if you subscribe to the monthly Xbox Game Pass you get access to a load of them for not much money.

On the PS5 the best game I've played by some distance was Ratchet And Clank - absolutely not the sort of game I'd usually play but it is stunning. I think that whilst the Xbox has the better overall offering Ratchet and Clank is the best game available on both (and it is PS5 only).

Other superb games that took a lot of my time include Halo Infinite (Xbox), Assassins Creed Valhalla (this is brilliant, both consoles).

https://youtu.be/ULfjoCqEo6I

Starts midnight!

Craftsman
    Had been looking forward to sniper elite 5 coming out for months, bought a copy the other day and am totally underwhelmed. Not a patch on 4, not worth the £42 I paid.

Journeyman
    That’s a shame, I really enjoyed 4. What’s not so good about it?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    That’s a shame, I really enjoyed 4. What’s not so good about it?
    They have the cloud that they used on 3 that tells you where the enemy are as you get closer. You can stand next to a German and he won’t notice you, they hunt you for 10 seconds then switch off. It does seem a rip off of SE 3, graphics aren’t as good as 4 either.