closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Erikas Originals - import VAT etc

Erikas Originals - import VAT etc

After trying various cheaper versions I’ve finally decided it’s time to treat myself to the real thing - but am wondering about the new VAT arrangements when importing from EU since brexit.

Rules seem to suggest if value of goods is less than £135 VAT should be collected at point of sale, with nothing extra to pay in import charges. But apparently this is down to the retailer having arrangements in place(?).

The straps are already best part of £70 so not overjoyed at thought of getting stung with VAT and a courier admin charge on top!

Has anyone ordered one since 01st Jan this year? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    After trying various cheaper versions I’ve finally decided it’s time to treat myself to the real thing - but am wondering about the new VAT arrangements when importing from EU since brexit.

Rules seem to suggest if value of goods is less than £135 VAT should be collected at point of sale, with nothing extra to pay in import charges. But apparently this is down to the retailer having arrangements in place(?).

The straps are already best part of £70 so not overjoyed at thought of getting stung with VAT and a courier admin charge on top!

Has anyone ordered one since 01st Jan this year? Cheers
    Buy three, tax-free and pay UK VAT on them
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Buy three, tax-free and pay UK VAT on them
    Will you buy two of them off me ?

Will you buy two of them off me ?
    You only have one watch?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

They seem a very popular strap on here, so would probably sell easily in Sales Corner?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watchobsession is the Uk stockist.

They are indeed. I don't mind buying expensive straps but having had an EO in the past I'd say they aren't worth anywhere near £67.95.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    They are indeed. I don't mind buying expensive straps but having had an EO in the past I'd say they aren't worth anywhere near £67.95.
    Yep. Absurd price these days. And bar a nice website redesign, there doesn't seem to be any reasons for the sudden hike.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    I had an Erika's on order from Watchobsessions recently, only to have it cancelled. Gary at Watchobsessions (a decent bloke to deal with) sent the following -

We have been told by Erika today that she has to suspend deliveries to us as she can't get them through to the UK without them imposing import duty, despite them originating from Europe.

We are seeing this a lot at the moment, couriers / border controls, not knowing the correct duties to apply and setting different rules, crazy.

We will have to cancel this for now until things have carmed down, we are not placing reorders with a few suppliers because of this.

If you’re happy to wait 8-12 weeks nick mankey are a lot cheaper and I didn’t incur any import tax for 1 strap.

https://nickmankeydesigns.com/

I agree, I bought one recently and whilst I really like it, is no way worth the asking price imo.

I've been planning on trying one of the nickmankey ones, also clever design for fixed bars.

I know it does not answer the original question but in true TZ tradition....

Have a look at Luff straps https://www.luffwatchstrap.com/
    I would say they are 90% of the quality of an Erika for about a third of the price. I bought three (10% off) and did not get stung by customs.

Journeyman
    Lovely things - bought one when they were 50 and thought it was expensive then. Quality though. Amazon have something similar for 20 quid and seemed pretty well put together.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Goochie81 View Post
    Lovely things - bought one when they were 50 and thought it was expensive then. Quality though. Amazon have something similar for 20 quid and seemed pretty well put together.

Was going to post something similar. Lovely quality and great straps but felt they were slightly overpriced before the increase.

But then you see NATOs for £100 plus....

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I had an Erika's on order from Watchobsessions recently, only to have it cancelled. Gary at Watchobsessions (a decent bloke to deal with) sent the following -

We have been told by Erika today that she has to suspend deliveries to us as she can't get them through to the UK without them imposing import duty, despite them originating from Europe.

We are seeing this a lot at the moment, couriers / border controls, not knowing the correct duties to apply and setting different rules, crazy.

We will have to cancel this for now until things have carmed down, we are not placing reorders with a few suppliers because of this.
    Sounds like it could be a bit dicey then - am not willing to take a chance on it being even more expensive when it lands on my doorstep!

I’ll look at some of the other suggestions cheers. Main reason I was going for the Erikas is the custom sizing - I always find the one size fits all MN style straps are a struggle on my 6.75 wrist, hardware ends up too far to the side for me to get a decent fit.

Sounds like it could be a bit dicey then - am not willing to take a chance on it being even more expensive when it lands on my doorstep!

I’ll look at some of the other suggestions cheers. Main reason I was going for the Erikas is the custom sizing - I always find the one size fits all MN style straps are a struggle on my 6.75 wrist, hardware ends up too far to the side for me to get a decent fit.

Nickmankey at least let you choose the length to suit your wrist, another reason I plan to try one at some point.

Journeyman

The ones on Amazon are on prime with free returns so worth a punt to see how they fit?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thewatchsteward is another option,I’ve had one of these in the past,not bad for the money.

I have a few EO myself, as well as some Luff straps.
    I'd say like others, that it's hard to justify paying the full price on these.

BUT

They are better quality than the Luff ones.
    The Luff ones are a bit softer, but the difference regarding the tension of the elastic weave is very noticeable, as well as the thickness.
    The EO are feeling more solid, better made, and even with a heavy watch, everything stays in place and feels very secured

Also, EO straps are your friends for the bronze buckle lovers and the odd lug width!
    Looking at you hanhart 417 bronze with 21mm lug width

Depending on your ability to be patient, I suggest you try to get them second hand, or if you have no choice but getting it from their website, you usually get 10% on black friday...

If you order just one, so overall about 70 quid, standard shipping, it's unlikely you will get taxed on it

I bought an EO from eBay last week, there's no way I'd pay full price for one, I've also got a few from Amazon and half dozen from Nick Manley.
    It's unfair to compare the EO ones at £85 with the Amazon £25 ones (Inc bronze hardware), the materials used on the EO are far superior but I think they are both overpriced.
    IMHO Nick Manley straps are compatible quality to EO and and better value especially if you're lucky and avoid import charges. The only downside as others have said is the wait.

Yup, that's another Brexit gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post

Erikas Originals - import VAT etc

Quote Originally Posted by Goochie81 View Post
    The ones on Amazon are on prime with free returns so worth a punt to see how they fit?

I refuse to buy anything from Amazon, just my own personal crusade against them! I have tried a few other cheapos though and like i say always struggle to get a good fit, they probably all come out of the same factory in China.

I do like the look of the Mankey ones, also been close to buying a watch steward before so might give them another look. A couple of decent alternatives to consider

Craftsman
    Ive bought direct from Erikas site before Brexit but wouldnt now.
    What about NDC Straps? Made in the UK form genuine french parachute parts.
    Not so well finished and limited in sizes/colours but maybe an alternative, and available easily too.
    Cheers,
    Rob

Master
    Cheapestnatostraps, I think, do the same type, some in odd sizes and with bronze hardware, I got one 23mm with bronze for my Tudor BBB. Can't compare to Erica's as never handled one but it seems acceptable quality.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    Not so well finished and limited in sizes/colours but maybe an alternative, and available easily too.
    Cheers,
    Rob
    Good shout

Here's what Erika says on the matter. I emailed her last week enquiring about exactly this.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your email.
    Shipping to the UK have changed since January 2021.
    This has unfortunately not resulted in charging less VAT to my customers, I now have to pay the VAT directly to the UK tax authorities.

Have a nice day!

Erika

Sent from my VOG-L29 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I have just posted about the Luff I have just received, Erika's may be better but I can not believe they can justify them being over 3x the price, I am not sure I would ever pay that much for one.
    Last edited by StuS; 24th March 2021 at 17:35.

Quote Originally Posted by thechatteringclasses View Post
    Here's what Erika says on the matter. I emailed her last week enquiring about exactly this.
    Brilliant, sounds like she does have arrangements in place to pay VAT direct to ukgov. So should be no surprises when it arrives in the UK. Thats exactly what I would have been hoping she could clarify thanks

Their website isn't built yet so you can't see what they're offering.

Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    Cheers,
    Rob

Craftsman
    Their website isn't built yet so you can't see what they're offering.
    As far as I know it’s been like that for ages, they used to have an Etsy store but the best way to speak to them is through Instagram.
    As their stuff is the genuine ex military it only comes in one width and green with the yellow stripe, although they have recently released an all black version.
    Cheers,
    Rob

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rapid View Post
    If you’re happy to wait 8-12 weeks nick mankey are a lot cheaper and I didn’t incur any import tax for 1 strap.

https://nickmankeydesigns.com/
    I've got one of these incoming at some point. 7 weeks and counting but they were upfront about the 10wks to make + delivery time so it's no problem.
    Hope it's as good as all the feedback suggests!

Craftsman
    Didn’t Nick Mankey used to make one with. Bottle opener in the clasp?
    That would be cool but I don’t think you can get them any more

Quick update for anyone who is also considering these:

I took the plunge and ordered a vintage red stripe - received today, no additional VAT due, so I’m happy. Let’s hope it looks good on the watch

Pre Brexit I purchased several from both Erika's and Nick Mankey and liked both versions, just put an order in for two fixed bar straps from Nick and with a lead time of min 10 weeks and postage first class of 10-30 days I hope to have them by my birthday in July but at £56.00 should be worthwhile (customs and excise withstanding )

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by brummie64 View Post
    Pre Brexit I purchased several from both Erika's and Nick Mankey and liked both versions, just put an order in for two fixed bar straps from Nick and with a lead time of min 10 weeks and postage first class of 10-30 days I hope to have them by my birthday in July but at £56.00 should be worthwhile (customs and excise withstanding )
    I ordered one on the 2nd Feb so just over 9 weeks so far.
    No dispatch notice yet but hopefully soon!

Craftsman
    Quick update for anyone who is also considering these:

I took the plunge and ordered a vintage red stripe - received today, no additional VAT due, so I’m happy. Let’s hope it looks good on the watch

I really like the vintage models!
    I’ve had the red stripe like yours and a green in the past, they are a bit softer than the normal ones.

Journeyman
    I have several of Erika’s strap and to be honest I much prefer the original one. Since the new version they feel a lot less solid/ rugged. They are well made but the feel is not the same.

Apprentice
    WatchObsession confirmed they are now getting restock deliveries from Erika with new models landing soon too.

Am I the only one who is a little more skeptical about Erika?
    I had one of her straps, and it was nice, but not all that great, given the money, as it started to fray a little relatively early.
    For a start, they are not "original".
    Secondly, I found other ones that were made from genuine French issued parachute elastic.
    The sewn shut ones were €5, and ones with original hardware were about £30, a lot less than Erika, and a lot more "original"
    I also take slight exception to her using the MN brand as her own (I still do not understand how is this allowed? Perhaps it is because that although it is clear she means Marine Nationale, it is not actually stated).
    And to the fact that she tries to protect (with a worldwide patent) a strap design that was never hers to begin with.

I am certainly not buying another strap from EO, I just don't like the attitude. Not that she will care a bit, but there you are.

D

I have been considering an Erika strap but there seems to be mixed opinion on quality and price. As I would require a 19mm there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice available in this type of strap.

This is what I am considering.

https://erikasoriginals.com/mn-straps/swick.php