closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Private reg... educate me please.

Master

Private reg... educate me please.

Evening. Here for help (again) after Google, or more likely my Google-Fu, has failed me.

It's my wifes 40th next Wednesday and she's asked for a private reg plate for her car. Fine, not my bag but if it's what she wants I'm not fighting her.

Long story short this, we were supposed to trade up last year but after a cock up regarding our new house (our new street didn't exist!) that p/x didn't happen so we're paying off the final couple of months on her Qashqui (2013 model) and starting a new finance package then. She has her sights on a couple of year old Volvo V40 or Skoda Kamiq.

Here's the problem - the plate I've seen for her is a 2014 registration (DJ14, to be precise). Obviously that can't legally go on the Qashqui as it's a year newer than the car. Can I still buy the plate and NOT have it registered to a car yet? Just hold it on retention? When I tried to get it via the DVLA they wouldn't let me progress any further until I told them the vehicle it was going to be going on.

If I had hair, I'd be tearing it out... I'm on the last minute with this already.

I'm pretty sure you can Kev. I have a few on retention just now; they extended the validity period from one year to ten years a while back.

You are correct about not being allowed to place a reg onto a vehicle that would have the effect of making it look younger (with some exceptions regarding ancient vehicles).
    I would advise buying your wife something a tad older to make the transfer viable. Maybe a silver 2009 Peugeot Partner van - and as it happens..........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can Kev. I have a few on retention just now; they extended the validity period from one year to ten years a while back.

You are correct about not being allowed to place a reg onto a vehicle that would have the effect of making it look younger (with some exceptions regarding ancient vehicles).
    I would advise buying your wife something a tad older to make the transfer viable. Maybe a silver 2009 Peugeot Partner van - and as it happens..........

Ohhhh Alec, she had a Peugeot Partner van as her third choice, however in any colour other than silver. Bad luck my friend.

Cheers for the advice though, I was absolutely certain that you could just buy-reserve the registration but every google search I tried led me to a dead end!

Thanks once again.

Craftsman
    You can definitely buy it from the DVLA without it going straight onto a vehicle (I’ve done it). They’ll send you or the nominee a V750 certificate of entitlement. You can then apply it on the vehicle when ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    10 years ago I bid and won a plate on a DVLA auction. It came on a retention cert. and there was no mention of me needing to nominate a vehicle to put it on.

Purchased a plate for the wife’s car last year from the dvla-som site and just got a retention certificate through the post. Transferring to a car is a separate process.

If it's not bought direct from the DVLA you can still put it on retention for £80

Craftsman
    I’m about to put one on retention for a while so am sure you can. I didn’t put it on my car for ages after receiving it as a gift.

Master
    Slightly OT, if you are looking at the Skoda with the 1.5 tsi engine I’d have a look at stories regarding problems with this VW/AUDI product, cases of kangaroo ing with this engine are known, the lower power engine 130bhp being worse than the 150hp version, I read enough to dissuade me from getting my wife a newer Seat Leon or VW Golf using that power unit.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Evening. Here for help (again) after Google, or more likely my Google-Fu, has failed me.

It's my wifes 40th next Wednesday and she's asked for a private reg plate for her car. Fine, not my bag but if it's what she wants I'm not fighting her.

Long story short this, we were supposed to trade up last year but after a cock up regarding our new house (our new street didn't exist!) that p/x didn't happen so we're paying off the final couple of months on her Qashqui (2013 model) and starting a new finance package then. She has her sights on a couple of year old Volvo V40 or Skoda Kamiq.

Here's the problem - the plate I've seen for her is a 2014 registration (DJ14, to be precise). Obviously that can't legally go on the Qashqui as it's a year newer than the car. Can I still buy the plate and NOT have it registered to a car yet? Just hold it on retention? When I tried to get it via the DVLA they wouldn't let me progress any further until I told them the vehicle it was going to be going on.

If I had hair, I'd be tearing it out... I'm on the last minute with this already.
    You can buy it now and just put it on retention for up to 10 years. I did exactly the same thing for my sons 18th. Bought the plate 6 months before it was fitted.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Anyone got any ideas on how to value private plates? I have a 3 digit reg I need to put a price on.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Anyone got any ideas on how to value private plates? I have a 3 digit reg I need to put a price on.
    I recently purchased an NI registration from DVLA. It’s 3 letters and 3 digits. Nothing special and DVLA had a selection of similar regs all priced at £995. Online registration dealers have similar plates ranging from £1,500 up to circa £5k. Prices are all over the place and seem to be based on what dealers think they can get away with.

Some of the regs offered recently on SC looked very reasonably priced to me. However it can be a limited market based on owners initials or car model references.

The agencies will all value it for you or you can just look at similar combinations for sale online. I do think some of the valuations are a bit optimitic though.

By 3 digit, do you mean two letters and a number?

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    By 3 digit, do you mean two letters and a number?
    Yes, two not very popular letters followed by one number greater than 1. The adverts for such numbers seem to bottom out at £25k and go rapidly north but that doesn’t mean they sell for that.

Yes, two not very popular letters followed by one number greater than 1. The adverts for such numbers seem to bottom out at £25k and go rapidly north but that doesn’t mean they sell for that.
    Put it on Collecting Cars with a reserve and the bids should dictate the value.

To the OP you can definitely buy from the DVLA and keep it on retention - I did this just a couple of weeks ago (super cheap one that doesn’t “say” anything it’s just a meaningful to me combination) - they sent me the cert in the post. Is there something unusual about the one you want perhaps?

Master
    I concur with all the above, I've just retained the reg off my recently stolen car for £80.
    But I have another question:
    Can I put this reg on a vehicle I haven't yet officially bought but only put a (big) deposit on? It is being prepared (used approved) and should be ready mid week-ish. When is the earliest I can assign the reg to the new car?

I don't think there's an easy way to value because every number is, by definition, unique. If it was me, I'd put it to the biggest agencies like Regtransfers and see if there's any consistancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I don't think there's an easy way to value because every number is, by definition, unique. If it was me, I'd put it to the biggest agencies like Regtransfers and see if there's any consistancy.
    I recently bought a couple from Regtransfers - they are pretty good in my experience. I got both after making offers, which, after a bit of discussion, realised a discount on each. They do have a good view of the market and would be able to price according to % of population who the letters may be significant to (as in initials).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

OP I think you’re wrong. If buying directly from the DVLA, they just send you a certificate of entitlement out. They don’t ask about a vehicle whatsoever. Just your name and address.

Master
    If it was a 4 digit plate then I might have been sending you a PM as have been vaguely eyeing up the low end of that market. 3 digit ones are another level altogether, it is fascinating how much one digit from 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 has such a massive price differential when it comes to registrations!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    OP I think you’re wrong. If buying directly from the DVLA, they just send you a certificate of entitlement out. They don’t ask about a vehicle whatsoever. Just your name and address.
    It might be dependent on whom he was dealing with, they may have thought he wanted to purchase and have the plate assigned right away, or just being stroppy, had that.