closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Aeropress coffee, any good methods?

Craftsman

Aeropress coffee, any good methods?

Hi all,
    There must be something wrong with me. I really want to enjoy a nice cup of coffee from my aeropress but seem to prefer a good instant!
    I’m following the instructions that came with it but so far I’m not that impressed.
    Does anyone else use an one, and if you do, what’s your preferred method?
    I’ve got the travel version if it helps.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob

I use the inverted method. These are the steps:

1. Grind coffee
    2. Put coffee in Aeropress with it sitting in an inverted position
    3. Slowly pour in water at 95C until it almost reaches the top
    4. Stir for 10 seconds
    5. Top off to the brim
    6. Wait 30 seconds. Wet the paper filter in the basket so it sticks
    7. Attach filter
    8. Put over mug and press plunger for 30 seconds. The slow speed is important
    9. Discard grounds and top up coffee in the mug to taste

Probably just not to your taste, much different to instant.

Especially single origin coffee beans, it varies in taste from cat pee to herbal tea taste to absolutely amazing ( if you like the taste that is, many do not )

I used to roast my own monsoon malabar and mix just cream into it and i used to love it but many people would hate it, saying it has an odd taste.

Craftsman
    A few different factors might be contributing here, chances are grind size is one of them.

Do you grind your own coffee or buy it ready ground?

If buying ground coffee, unless you’re buying it from a speciality coffee merchant then it’s unlikely to be the optimum grind size so you may be either over or under extracting which can have a big effect on taste.

As per the last reply, storage of coffee makes a big difference and pre ground is always going to taste flatter than freshly ground.

The best results are meant to be beans that are freshly roasted and used within 2 weeks of their roasting date.

If you are looking at buying beans, try to avoid bags that have a sell by/use by date as they have been treated. Try to only buy bags that give you a roasting date, they are normally much fresher and probably better quality.

Other factors, don't store too much as they will lose flavour, use Air tight containers to store them and if really not using them for a while store them in the freezer.

James Hoffman on youtube is a great resource to get more information about this.

I have an Aeropress coffee every morning.
    Freshly ground beans, I use it the normal way up, and ensure my extraction is complete in the normal 30 seconds (27 is the traditional perfect extraction time). I do not stir, just pour in from a height.
    I fill mine up totally so that I get a nice long coffee without any of the bitterness that prolonged contact with the grind can give in both filter and cafetiere type makers that one might normally use to make a longer drink.
    If you do not like what your Aeropress makes, change the coffee you use, because the Aeropress is a really good way of getting the best out of your beans. Not for a short drink, necessarily, but for a longer one.
    I get a nice coffee out of some relatively humdrum espresso beans (like Sainsbury's own), but by preference I use Martin Carwardine's Versante Espresso, which is Fairtrade and Organic and delicious. I would say so, he is my brother-in-law.
    Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackdaniels View Post
    James Hoffman on youtube is a great resource to get more information about this.
    The world is still waiting for James Hoffman's much promised Aeropress video :-)

These are good for ideas. https://aeropress.com/championships/wac-recipes/

I always use it inverted, pretty much as like Phil Lee describes above and in common with most of the world champs' methods too. I use a metal filter rather than paper. My coffee merchant recommends a relatively fine grind for aeropress, coarser than espresso but finer than the grind you get in most supermarket pre-ground bags.

I use the inverted method too. I remember reading somewhere that it's better to make a short coffee in the Aeropress, then dilute, rather than filing the Aeropress up to the top.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

The key is to grind your beans and buy high quality beans. There are literally a ton of roasters in the Uk, I have found black cat coffee good value for money.

And you have to find your style of coffee! Is it chocolaty Latin American beans, or more acidic but fruitier Africans? Dark roast or lighter? Ask a roaster for a sampling pack.

A wilfa grinder will set you back around £100 and is good enough for aeropress.

Great coffee every time - inverted here too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    A few different factors might be contributing here, chances are grind size is one of them.

Do you grind your own coffee or buy it ready ground?

If buying ground coffee, unless you’re buying it from a speciality coffee merchant then it’s unlikely to be the optimum grind size so you may be either over or under extracting which can have a big effect on taste.
    It came with 3 bags included in a deal from ebay, all new, I paid £36 delivered which I thought was quite good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Aero...72.m2749.l2649

There are 3 different blends and I think they are the correct grind.
    Regards,
    Rob
    Last edited by barbusg60; 24th March 2021 at 13:02.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I use the inverted method too. I remember reading somewhere that it's better to make a short coffee in the Aeropress, then dilute, rather than filing the Aeropress up to the top.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk
    Thats what the instructions say, only to fill up to the number 1 level.

Grow your own beans, feed them to your pet civet, give them a quick rinse under the tap when they reappear, then roast them yourself.

I thought everybody did this?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

might as well add my tuppence...

first thing you need is some quality digital scales that ideally read to tenth of a gram if possible

then you need some fresh beans ground to an aeropress setting with is finer than french press

then you need a recipe - try 14g of ground coffee and 200g of water - and let it sit for 1 min before plunging - search youtube for 'tim wendelboe aeropress' for technique

then enjoy the fruits of your labour!

Quote Originally Posted by barbusg60 View Post
    Thats what the instructions say, only to fill up to the number 1 level.

They do indeed say that. I thought it is widely disregarded and thought of as a quirk of the instructions from other discussion of aeropress here and elsewhere. Although I do know one colleague, a highly rule governed individual, who continues to follow it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    They do indeed say that. I thought it is widely disregarded and thought of as a quirk of the instructions from other discussion of aeropress here and elsewhere. Although I do know one colleague, a highly rule governed individual, who continues to follow it.
    Haha, I’ll definitely look into changing the method.
    Thanks,
    Rob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I use the inverted method. These are the steps:

1. Grind coffee
    2. Put coffee in Aeropress with it sitting in an inverted position
    3. Slowly pour in water at 95C until it almost reaches the top
    4. Stir for 10 seconds
    5. Top off to the brim
    6. Wait 30 seconds. Wet the paper filter in the basket so it sticks
    7. Attach filter
    8. Put over mug and press plunger for 30 seconds. The slow speed is important
    9. Discard grounds and top up coffee in the mug to taste
    Pretty much my method too

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    These are good for ideas. https://aeropress.com/championships/wac-recipes/

I always use it inverted, pretty much as like Phil Lee describes above and in common with most of the world champs' methods too. I use a metal filter rather than paper. My coffee merchant recommends a relatively fine grind for aeropress, coarser than espresso but finer than the grind you get in most supermarket pre-ground bags.
    Thank you for the link, I’ll persevere with it and try a few different things.
    Regards,
    Rob

Master
    Another option as I’ve recently discovered thanks to this forum is the clever dripper which has recently replaced my aeropress due to the ability to make a larger mug full

I’m really surprised to read this. I love my coffee and have acquired, over the years, a number of ways to make it. The aeropress is consistently the best and indeed easiest method. If it’s not giving results I’d suspect the ground coffee first, type, origin, age, grind. I’m quite liking M&S Columbian ground, arabica obvs.

Then I’d suspect strength, brew length and temperature. If you’re using a paper filter (I moved to metal mesh some time ago) it needs to be rinsed with boiling water before use.

Craftsman
    I’ve had my aero press for years and love it. Interested to see a few people mention the metal filters as I’d always assumed they were a bit of a gimmick.

Can anyone recommend a decent one as there seems to be a few available?

My aeropress is a plastic bag in the spare room. These days I much prefer the coffee I make with my V60. Admittedly an aeropress was handy to have in the office but ...
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    My aeropress made coffee that was indistinguishable from cafetiere coffee, if the same rituals are followed and the cafetiere is stirred in the same way - Which stands to reason if you think about it.
    It's now sat in a cupboard for a couple of years.
    I feel a bit annoyed at myself for falling for the marketing hype.

The ease of cleaning is enough to swing it for me over a cafetiere but I would say any taste advantage probably does have some hype.

Good beans > method.

Craftsman
    I’m still trying with the trial packs that came with it, and I’m still not convinced?
    What a heathen I must be lol

Down the rabbit hole with James Hoffmann...some background and a bit of history in Episode 1: www.youtube.com/watch?v=aidvrssMSGo