closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What next?

What next?

I have been proud owner of watch that started all madness 20 years ago - Explorer II. Managed to buy it 2 years ago and have enjoyed every day with it. There is only one issue - its value is creeping up and in a two years it's gone up 60-70%. I mean - its the same watch. Stainless steel. Simple. White face. What gives?

As its value soon will go past 10k€ I can't justify owning it. I am not afraid to own expensive watch but something says that at 10k there should be something - precious metal case, fancy in house movement, something that justifies value. Explorer still is the same watch, just for unknown reason more expensive.

I am thinking of selling it and buying something more reasonably priced. At a moment there are two main contenders - Speedmaster Pro and Zenith El Primero HW. I owned Speedmaster, have tried Zenith - both are nice wearing, reasonably slim and unobtrusive.

So my question is - are there other watches I should take a look at? I am looking at 38-40mm, 10-12mm thickness, must be legible, so no to silver hands on white dial.

What interesting is out there for £3-4k? Or maybe should I keep it?

Maybe a 38mm Aqua Terra...?

Do you still like the ExII? if so keep it. Its only a watch. You are fortunate that if you need to sell, currently you will have made money.
    Do you like either of the watches you list more than the ExII? if not, Keep it.
    Is there anything else out there you like more than the ExpII? if yes sell and buy what you like.
    People seem to get hung up on the growing value of watches and wearing them, yet people don't think their house is too expensive to live in...
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 23rd March 2021 at 14:45.

Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
    Maybe a 38mm Aqua Terra...?
    I hate arrow hands :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Do you still like the ExII? if so keep it. Its only a watch. You are fortunate that if you need to sell, currently you will have made money.
    Do you like either of the watches you list more than the ExII? if not, Keep it.
    Is there anything else out there you like more than the ExpII? if yes sell and buy what you like.
    People seem to get hung up on the growing value of watches and wearing them, yet people don't think their house is too expensive to live in...
    I was going to write pretty much the same thing, before I read this. I don’t really understand why you think the Explorer is now “too expensive to own”. Presumably you didn’t think that when you bought it, it’s still exactly the same watch, all that’s happened is that you have been fortunate enough to buy something that has appreciated in value.

Personally I would keep it unless you fancy a change.

Simon

Craftsman
    Keep the Explorer for occasional use an buy something lower value & decent that you are happy to wear to do whatever in? Or do you want to cash in whilst prices are strong? It's hard to predict what will happen with these and I think the E2 value is really dependent on strong Sub prices but I could be wrong.
    If I had to pick a lowish value (~£1k rather than what you are suggesting) beater, I'd get a Formex Essence 39.

For £3-4k are you looking for a particular similar style i.e sports watch? Do you want a GMT function?
    Or mainly just size & legibility that matters?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Keep the Explorer if you've enjoyed it every day.
    You could always tell yourself that its worth what you paid the day you bought it and the rest is just interest youre gaining that you won't get from having the cash in a bank account.

And tell yourself that they won’t be worth £10k anytime soon!

Funny you post this.. I’m kinda feeling the same way but have a 114270 explorer which I love, these are slowly going up in value to the extent I’m not too keen wearing day to day around my area.. it’s under the radar but it’s still a lot to lose if pinched or badly damaged..

I’m wearing my citizen eco drive ray mears most of the time on a nick mankey stretchy strap and it’s ridiculously comfortable..

However reviewing what options there are and recent releases etc the BB58 blue looks like great value for money.. it’s still £2,700 odd but might fit the bill for a daily wearer.. looking forward to trying one on when the shops open back up..

Unless you need the money then don’t do it. View it as worth what you paid for it and enjoy it for many more years.

The little asset bubble could pop and take it’s value closer to what you paid, would you then regret getting rid? Or kick yourself for not selling it when it was worth more?

Thanks all for your comments.

To clarify - I am not afraid to wear watch because of the value, I am not afraid someone might steal it, because of in 20 years no one paid attention to my wrist, it's just I think that its value is blown up too much for - let's be frank - quite basic watch.

Anyway it's still 7k watch and I have a time to think everything over.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Thanks all for your comments.

To clarify - I am not afraid to wear watch because of the value, I am not afraid someone might steal it, because of in 20 years no one paid attention to my wrist, it's just I think that its value is blown up too much for - let's be frank - quite basic watch.

Anyway it's still 7k watch and I have a time to think everything over.
    Sell it, pocket the profit, relax.

It's not like you'll have never owned it. Life is all about varied experiences.

Is there a lady/gent in the house? Use some of the profit to buy them something nice.
    You can use this to ease a path to future watch purchases. :)

I realised a while ago that I bought and sold almost all of the steel sports Rolex models over the years - and never settled on one I really liked. I don’t regret it at all, it just gives me a more relaxed perspective. I remember going into a grey dealer not that long ago with a drawer full of white dial Exp II’s at £1500 as they were a slow seller!! - you’re right, they’re a good watch but the ‘value’ now is crazy imho. I chose to exit expensive watches and spend the money on other ‘stuff’ which gives me and the family more pleasure. There’s plenty of fun stuff out there at sensible prices still - I really feel very ‘emperors new clothes’ about Swiss luxury watch prices now, it’s all a bit bananas imho and has changed my perception of ‘a nice watch’ into ‘an investment piece’ and that’s something I don’t want to combine with a little hobby of collecting man jewellery tbh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been proud owner of watch that started all madness 20 years ago - Explorer II. Managed to buy it 2 years ago and have enjoyed every day with it. There is only one issue - its value is creeping up and in a two years it's gone up 60-70%. I mean - its the same watch. Stainless steel. Simple. White face. What gives?

As its value soon will go past 10k€ I can't justify owning it. I am not afraid to own expensive watch but something says that at 10k there should be something - precious metal case, fancy in house movement, something that justifies value. Explorer still is the same watch, just for unknown reason more expensive.
    fairly simple, will you regret it if your rolex goes up another 50% after you sell it?

I have the same issue as well and thinking I might not be able to afford another rolex in the rest of my life...while my suggestion will be to sell your expII and buy an used yachtmaster while its price is still rather "reasonable"

Journeyman
    Rather than recommend an alternative to the possible replacements you mention, I'd give a vote for the Zenith HW. You get a great view of the EP movement, with more than 50 hours power reserve and its fantastically slim with lugs that hug the wrist. It's versatile too (a bit like the Speedy), you can dress it up with a nice leather strap, or sling it on a nato. It's undervalued and so prices are good too.

Master
    I was in a similar position with my Explorer 114270 which I liked as a watch and didn't actually attract much attention but one day I did start to wonder what exactly made it worth so much (and this was when they are worth less than they are now...). I have never said that Rolex don't make excellent watches but as time goes on, I feel that their value gets further and further from what they are worth as a watch and more and more what people think their investment potential is. Thats fine if you use watches as an investment but I don't, I have other assets for that!

Had I kept the Explorer, I would have been wealthier than I am now but I don't actually regret the sale. In answer to the second part of your question, I replaced it with a Blancpain, first with a Leman Ultra Slim which was under your lower budget and then an Aqua Lung which would be over budget. Both would meet your requirements. Both had a date and a 70 or 100hr power reserve, a dial I felt was of higher quality than the Explorer, slightly more interesting dial/hand features and the Aqua Lung added a fantastic bracelet (which was a bugbear on the Explorer), display back, limited edition and the large date aperture all for the price of a dealer 114270 these days. Anyway, as a thread is always better with pictures here are some (excuse the dust)!

98B87006-6016-4E9B-8559-3795041A3E81 by Matt G, on Flickr

8F4DDE3E-162A-4662-B4AF-93A63E9E3513 by Matt G, on Flickr

Craftsman
    If you like it keep it it only owes you what you was happy to pay to buy it anything else is a bonus :)

I often wonder if I should do similar and sell my Submariner (though unlike you mine through fear being mugged). If I do, I'll almost certainly buy a Damasko (probably DSub) or Sinn - I think both are fabulous brands and match my tastes

I have a soft spot for Zenith, so that would be my choice. But if I’d go for an El Primero it wouldn’t be a hand wound model. An El Primero should be automatic IMHO. There are automatic El Primero’s with a similar look and size to the HW model, though they’re probably 1-2mm thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    That Aqua Lung is awesome! If I’d ever go for a one watch collection, that could very well be it.

While I was contemplating what's next, I found watch I've been looking for quite some time.

There are two Speedmaster models with hesalite front and sapphire back - 3592 and 3572. First one had tritium dial and yellow gilded movement, 3572 - usually Luminova dial and rhodium plated movement. Before I bought Explorer I had 3572 with tritium dial and rhodium plated movement. I didn't know until two weeks ago that this is probably quite rare model, because of it was made only in 1997.

My thought was that if I go back to Speedmaster it must be this configuration. I was looking from time to time at various 3572, but they all were with Luminova dial. I set up new ad alert on chrono24, lo and behold last week shop from Japan has one and in very good condition. Price wise it was bit more expensive than usual 3572, but no much.

So, now I have to decide which one will go, because of I can't keep them both.

Craftsman
    While I was contemplating what's next, I found watch I've been looking for quite some time.

There are two Speedmaster models with hesalite front and sapphire back - 3592 and 3572. First one had tritium dial and yellow gilded movement, 3572 - usually Luminova dial and rhodium plated movement. Before I bought Explorer I had 3572 with tritium dial and rhodium plated movement. I didn't know until two weeks ago that this is probably quite rare model, because of it was made only in 1997.

My thought was that if I go back to Speedmaster it must be this configuration. I was looking from time to time at various 3572, but they all were with Luminova dial. I set up new ad alert on chrono24, lo and behold last week shop from Japan has one and in very good condition. Price wise it was bit more expensive than usual 3572, but no much.

So, now I have to decide which one will go, because of I can't keep them both.

No contest - that Speedy is perfect!