closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW 640D - any owners on the forum

Master

BMW 640D - any owners on the forum

You know how it is - always thinking about changing my car - budget £20k to £30k

I have a lovely 2011 335D with less than 40,000 miles on the clock, really like the car and it is great condition, but you know how it is, I just fancy a change

I've thought about a E92 M3 ...... but not really as quite a few things put me off and that many seem to have quite a few owners ...... then an M4 Xdrive .. but I'd seriously annoy the neighbours every time I started the car

then an M2 ....... but they seem expensive used ...... and I seem to get sucked in to wanting the Competition model which pushes my budget to almost £40k

so the latest thought is a BMW 640D for about £20K to £25K - should get a good one for that money - there's the 2 door Coupe and the 4 door GC

It would be parked "on the street" outside the house - what do you reckon - is it too big?

It would probably only get used for 4 to 6,000 miles max a year as most of the local miles is done in an X1 diesel.

Great to have your views especially if you have moved from a 3 series diesel Coupe
    Last edited by BillN; 23rd March 2021 at 13:23.

Have a look at the 435d GC Xdrive. I did something very similar a few years back. 6 is huge, especially the bonnet.
    435GC Xdrive was a beast of a car. Ended up with carbon M Performance pack on it. Later ones had lower suspension and full digital cockpit. Should be in budget as well.

6 arguably more refined luxurious.

I’d estimate I’ve had north of 15 BMW’s over the years. The 30/35/40/50d engine is one of the best Diesel engines on the planet.

Master

BMW 640D - any owners on the forum

M2 and a 6 series diesel are totally different beasts.
    Probably best deciding if you want a nimble sports car like the M2 or a miles munching cruiser like a 6 series

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I moved from the 520D to the 640D GC a couple of years ago, yes the 6 series is a big car but i`ve never had any issues caused by this - it was a concern for me when I first bought it so I only considered ones that have the surround view cameras for that reason and they are handy. There are some very well specified one around with features worth having and the premium isn`t significant vs the standard models. Compared to the 5 series (F10), build quality is a significant step up and its far quicker and smoother. I usually change cars every 2 years, and would usually be looking to move but cant see anything that I would prefer (quality / price wise) without going a lot higher in price to something like an 8 series so will be keeping this one a while longer.

Hi Bill!
    I had a 635d before the 335d, and have driven a couple of 640d all I’d say is that the bigger cars ride more smoothly , probably due to longer wheelbase and width, but are not as responsive and not quite as sharp handling.
    I’m going to guess that the 435d May suit you better, or even the 440 petrol.
    Good luck!
    🐐

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Hi Bill!
    I had a 635d before the 335d, and have driven a couple of 640d all I’d say is that the bigger cars ride more smoothly , probably due to longer wheelbase and width, but are not as responsive and not quite as sharp handling.
    I’m going to guess that the 435d May suit you better, or even the 440 petrol.
    Good luck!
    Hi David - I just love the 335D, but you know how it is, just fancy a change - I do a few long trips a year up to Yorkshire and we plan to see a bit of Scotland when it's considered safe ....... so the 640d would be great for that ......... I don't really need a full 4 seats ..... but I reckon I would miss the 335D, RWD - I not sure the Xdrive 335D/435D would feel the same as the X1 we have although Xdrive, is really a FWD car, it's basically a Mini Clubman!.............. most of the used 640D's for sale are Black, a colour I'm not too keen on, so it's finding one with low miles, well speced, I fancy the HUD, for reasonable money.

Master
    I had a 640d gran coupe for 3 years and it was a lovely car to drive. Quite special. The only downside is the length. It is a very long car but that wouldn’t put me off buying one.

Craftsman
    I also had a 640d Gran Coupe for 4 years. Super lovely car to drive and really good looking. Yes, its very long and quite wide, but that didn't phase me. Just avoid the 6x6s haha. Agree with another comment about the cameras, I cant remember the BMW terminology but I think my car had the premium plus package.

I'd also check how often the back seats will get used as there's not a lot of headroom.

Master
    My FiL has a 650i and it's very nice indeed, big as others have said but he hasn't ever complained about that.
    At 4k-6k miles a year I think I'd be looking at petrol rather than diesel.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I’d be looking at an ND2 MX5...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk