closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Washing Advice - Kit & Technique

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    All you people using towels to dry cars...get a 0ppm filter, best thing I’ve ever purchased in my cleaning cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have one of these. They're very good.

Master
    I know an old fella who use different to be a chauffeur driving some expensive machines, tut tutted at me one day when he saw the pressure washer on the drive while I was cleaning my car, his opinion was that to wash grit/dirt across the paint under pressure would only make scratches more likely and he only ever used a hose with open end preferring quantity of water over pressure, wash only from the top down, and rinse the chamois out using clean water every pass. I only pressure washed the underside-at a low setting- but the rest made sense, I’ve washed the car after rain, and during at work, the dirt was already softened a bit to start. Modern water based paints are much softer than older types and are applied in thinner coats making scratches more likely.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I know an old fella who use different to be a chauffeur driving some expensive machines, tut tutted at me one day when he saw the pressure washer on the drive while I was cleaning my car, his opinion was that to wash grit/dirt across the paint under pressure would only make scratches more likely and he only ever used a hose with open end preferring quantity of water over pressure, wash only from the top down, and rinse the chamois out using clean water every pass. I only pressure washed the underside-at a low setting- but the rest made sense, I’ve washed the car after rain, and during at work, the dirt was already softened a bit to start. Modern water based paints are much softer than older types and are applied in thinner coats making scratches more likely.
    Never use a pressure washer at a 90 degree angle to dirt. That's just basically sandblasting the paint. Use said pressure washer to apply snow foam, then jet off holding the lance so the jet goes along rather than into the bodywork and all will be good. If you don't have snow foam spray water (at low pressure) over the car and wait a few mins for it to soak in before using the pressure washer. The snow foam simply holds the moisture in place for longer than water.

Also avoid using the concentrated nozzles, that's another big no, the wider angled car specific ones do a great job

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I disagree.

I'm sticking to my story that the only reason I'm not a golf pro is my crap clubs.
    You do make a very fair point, I think I might be using that theory myself very soon when the courses reopen

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Never use a pressure washer at a 90 degree angle to dirt. That's just basically sandblasting the paint. Use said pressure washer to apply snow foam, then jet off holding the lance so the jet goes along rather than into the bodywork and all will be good. If you don't have snow foam spray water (at low pressure) over the car and wait a few mins for it to soak in before using the pressure washer. The snow foam simply holds the moisture in place for longer than water.

Also avoid using the concentrated nozzles, that's another big no, the wider angled car specific ones do a great job
    This - I'll only use a wide angle lance, if I use one at all, at a shallow angle to the paintwork and never perpendicular to it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I have one of these. They're very good.
    Completely agree, biggest game changer for me. Only down side is the odd bit of dust / insect tarnishing the spotless finish as it dries, but so much better than actually drying !

Some really good information already given.

I would recommend a stool to sit down when possible. I usually have break after the interior clean and washing the wheels. Then next break is after the wash and dry. Polishing and waxing I have not done for nearly two years but hopefully open the crumbling Autoglym HD wax this year. I apply wax with a wet applicator and once applied, the wax should resemble a greasy smear. This wipes off effortlessly.

I am not bothered so much with the outside being dirty but the interior is kept clean.

My favourite products are Angelwax H2Go window sealant and Wonder Wheels alloy sealant.

Lots of methods here are good advice like washing, clay, prep and seal.

Personally I think the biggest bargain by far in the detailing world is Finish Kare - FK1000P at £18.00 for a big tin.

Read the reviews, read how to apply and remove (use very little) 2-3 coats each over 24 hour periods and the finish actually improves over the days as it settles, 2 coats applied in the Autumn on properly prepped paint will see you through the winter, beads like crazy..

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/finis...BoCy54QAvD_BwE

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/for...d.php?t=150150

Aldi washing up liquid.
    Every bit as good as the expensive brands....at 100th of the cost.
    It's a motorcycle cleaner review...but relevant to cars also....

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...rcycle-cleaner

Spend a couple of hours looking at car detailing videos. Shows how pros do it.

This geezer is good
    https://youtu.be/UKptANfUmNM

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Aldi washing up liquid.
    Every bit as good as the expensive brands....at 100th of the cost.
    It's a motorcycle cleaner review...but relevant to cars also....

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...rcycle-cleaner
    I would not use washing-up liquid to clean a car! they can strip off any wax or sealants you have on the car leaving the paintwork exposed

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Spend a couple of hours looking at car detailing videos. Shows how pros do it.

This geezer is good
    https://youtu.be/UKptANfUmNM
    He didn't take the wheels off, so not that good

Blog Entries
    I do it as quick as possible.

1. Rinse off with a hose on jet, then wash down with car wash detergent from a bucket using an extending soft brush. Dry with chamois then apply Autoglym Super Resin polish.

2. Next few times wash off with water only so detergents don't wash the wax off.

3. Go back to 1.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    I have a snow foam attachment thing that foams up, so used to rinse with cold, snow foam and let lift and settle them clean with decent sponge and lather before chamois, then wax.
    Haven’t done it for ages but used to love a good valet and the effort is worth the results but it can be a half day job with all the faff.

If anyone wants the snow foam attachment and liquid then its sat in my garage not being used
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Some great advice and tips here. Definitely something I would like to spend more time on.

This forum just makes me spend money!

Decided to add machine polishing to my plan next week, got a DA8 polisher, 6 uro-fibre pads, and some 3D one hybrid compound. Looking forward to giving it a go, at also a little nervous!

Master
    Yep, thanks all!

Job for this weekend is making that list of things to buy, and then buying them all!

I think I need a pressure washer - I saw a recent thread on this but a Karcher K2/K3/K5 car specific one at a decent price should do the job. Failing that, an own brand one from B&Q will probably do what I need.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Yep, thanks all!

Job for this weekend is making that list of things to buy, and then buying them all!

I think I need a pressure washer - I saw a recent thread on this but a Karcher K2/K3/K5 car specific one at a decent price should do the job. Failing that, an own brand one from B&Q will probably do what I need.

If you want the snow foam attachment then let me know as I dont use it
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    If you want the snow foam attachment then let me know as I dont use it
    Oh, sorry - I missed that post - amazing, thanks! Let me get my research done on all the bits this weekend and come back to you. Is it specific for the Karcher or can it be used with any power washer? What exactly is it?

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I would not use washing-up liquid to clean a car! they can strip off any wax or sealants you have on the car leaving the paintwork exposed
    The research shows otherwise.

Craftsman
    Some great advice and tips on here. I got my first nice car probably 5 or 6 years ago and started to pick up some pointers online. Prior to that I was very much lazy and rarely got my car cleaned, when I did I took it to a drive-through place.

I now really enjoy spending time doing it, gets you outside and nice to have something to clear the mind!

I use a K2 and have trialled out loads of products - but really like the Autoglym snow foam set as good value and packs a good punch versus time spent. Watch this Youtube review for a good idea on how to use it:

https://youtu.be/EchNTaeNgkc

Sorry edited to add that you can get the set on Amazon on sale just now https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XPD2V...5PRSZTBRQVKQPX

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jon8oy; 27th March 2021 at 01:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    The research shows otherwise.
    Read it again, it states that it does remove the wax with agitation when washing. It also states that a bike requires a stronger cleaning material than a car.

It is well proven that WUL strips wax from paint, that’s how it helps remove grease etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I live in Devon, down a long and narrow lane (narrower in the Summer when the hedges explode with growth)

I occasionally wash a car if I am selling it, but otherwise I let the hedges keep most of the mud off the cars!

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

Cleaning the interior?

Which products are you folks using for the interior - dashboard, upholstery, hard and soft plastics, leather, floors?

Craftsman
    many many ways of doing this but if you want a decent , cheap coating that lasts for ages fusso light or dark are good and i use this as a topper on the ceramic coatings

Master
    Read it again, it states that it does remove the wax with agitation when washing. It also states that a bike requires a stronger cleaning material than a car.

It is well proven that WUL strips wax from paint, that’s how it helps remove grease etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I was always advised to never use WUL, if it was ok some of the garages I've worked in would never have bought in car shampoo at may times the price, cars shouldn't need polished/waxed at every wash.

Craftsman
    Based on this test it doesn't strip wax
    https://youtu.be/OCTrch6pmqc

I believe the reason WUL isn't recommended is due to its salt content

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Which products are you folks using for the interior - dashboard, upholstery, hard and soft plastics, leather, floors?
    G techniq do a nice range of products for the dash, leather etc. Im sure there are other brands equally or even better. But i found their products for the interior are easy to use and good results.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I was always advised to never use WUL, if it was ok some of the garages I've worked in would never have bought in car shampoo at may times the price, cars shouldn't need polished/waxed at every wash.
    Eh? Are you not stating what I said about not using it?

Master
    Got totally outclassed by the course setters at this mornings clay Shoot spent a couple of hours with the products. Suns out Karcher's out

Reporting back - this has proven a game changer provided the car is sealed in some way. <15 minute car wash when using snow foam and the DI water filter to rinse.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerpaul View Post
    I've just bought a DI water filter for washing the car so that I don't need to dry the car to avoid water spots. My plan is a weekly jet wash with snow foam and then rinse with filtered water with a proper clean every month or so. If anyone is interested in the results I'm happy to report back!

Master
    Jumping on this thread also looking for advice, please!

I usually clean my car with Autoglym Shampoo Conditioner using a microfibre sponge then rinse with clean water and dry with one of those waffle towel things. The car is black and looks amazing after cleaning but soon gets pretty grubby with wet motorway sludge and dust etc in the summer.

Is there an EASY way to add an additional layer of protection after the usual wash with shampoo?

Thanks in advance!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post

I usually clean my car with Autoglym Shampoo Conditioner using a microfibre sponge then rinse with clean water and dry with one of those waffle towel things. The car is black and looks amazing after cleaning but soon gets pretty grubby with wet motorway sludge and dust etc in the summer.

Is there an EASY way to add an additional layer of protection after the usual wash with shampoo?

Thanks in advance!
    You need some last stage protection of LSP as detailers call it. This can be a wax - left hand on right hand off , sealant usually spray on or ceramic coating. The ceramic needs specific application and needs to cure fully.

You can really go down a rabbit hole with this. If you want to try out something I'd recommend Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. A bottle is under a tenner and application is simple - spray on wipe off. That's it. It will offer protection for about 6 weeks and make your car easier to clean as the water beads off

Master
    My mate has a black Jag like mine, we use the same regime finishing with a hydrophobic coating,spray on like snowfoam with a pressure washer bottle while car is wet and dry off with towels. Important to go over the glass every time. For us Autoglym Polarseal.Next time he is over i will grab a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerpaul View Post
    Reporting back - this has proven a game changer provided the car is sealed in some way. <15 minute car wash when using snow foam and the DI water filter to rinse.
    Do you have a link for the one you purchased?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Do you have a link for the one you purchased?
    https://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care...-water-filter/

I have had this for about 5 years and would replace immediately if it broke for any reason.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    You need some last stage protection of LSP as detailers call it. This can be a wax - left hand on right hand off , sealant usually spray on or ceramic coating. The ceramic needs specific application and needs to cure fully.

You can really go down a rabbit hole with this. If you want to try out something I'd recommend Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. A bottle is under a tenner and application is simple - spray on wipe off. That's it. It will offer protection for about 6 weeks and make your car easier to clean as the water beads off

Prior to using the Sonax, And after the car has been washed thoroughly, I rinse the car down with an open hose, so that the water sheets off it, leaving minimal drops of water on the bodywork.
    Then i spray the Sonax and wipe off. Otherwise you will find the Sonax will become very 'grabby' on dry paintwork and leave marring.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post

Thanks in advance!
    Have a look at GTechniq Easy Coat, very easy to apply, just needs rinsing and drying off. For added complication, use Gyeon Wet Coat, but be very careful - apply it to one panel at a time, and wash off immediately using a power washer.

Easy Coat is far more user-friendly.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

The new hybrid sealants are very easy to apply and get very good results with the added bonus of being very cheap. I used the turtle wax hydrophobic sealant which is £5.34 ish for a bottle and gives nice gloss and protection lasts a few months. I have recently switched for a meguiars hybrid liquid wax and spray and the results are nicer but they cost around £20 a bottle. In both cases you can do a full car in 10-20 mins easily.

Once applied you get a nice slickness which does help keep the car clean for much longer, on the weekend I just washed the car - jet wash, snow foan, jet wash and a quick soap and I was done in under 10 mins. If the car is not that dirty you can get away with just the jet wash and avoid the washing.

I have had this for about 5 years and would replace immediately if it broke for any reason.

I'll take a look, thank you

This is exactly the one I bought.

I use this stuff https://www.adamsdetailingshop.co.uk...-sc-praefulgeo water literally leaps off the car, but it is ceramic coated

Craftsman
    Any recommendations on a regime for someone without a fancy pressure washer and just an old school hose pipe (apart from ‘buy a pressure washer’!)? I assume snow foam is not possible?

Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    Any recommendations on a regime for someone without a fancy pressure washer and just an old school hose pipe (apart from ‘buy a pressure washer’!)? I assume snow foam is not possible?

You can buy snow foam kits that work with a normal hosepipe. I picked up my Karcher very cheap off facebook market place just keep an eye on your local listings.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MalaMD View Post
    You can get some form of hand pump sprayers that will work to a degree. There also used to be ones that connect to a hose, although not seen one in a while.

Without a snow foam, it give it a spray with APC, let it dwell for a little while & rinse off before starting the wash. Possibly with some fall out remover too.

Craftsman
    Thanks both

Craftsman
    You can get some form of hand pump sprayers that will work to a degree. There also used to be ones that connect to a hose, although not seen one in a while.

Without a snow foam, it give it a spray with APC, let it dwell for a little while & rinse off before starting the wash. Possibly with some fall out remover too.

On that note - can you recommend a good APC? I'm always fearful of spraying cleaning chemicals on the paintwork! I recall back in the day when I wrecked a nice set of alloys with 'Wonder Wheels' that I let dwell to long before washing it off!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    On that note - can you recommend a good APC? I'm always fearful of spraying cleaning chemicals on the paintwork! I recall back in the day when I wrecked a nice set of alloys with 'Wonder Wheels' that I let dwell to long before washing it off!
    I use the Meguiars APC, have tried a few of them and don’t see masses of difference. If there’s a deal I will try something else.

I’ve made that WW mistake in the past too. I still have it for stubborn areas but heavily diluted. That smell is awful.

Alloys are used with bilberry juice diluted which seems to work fine. Got the wheel sealant to do this spring & not looking forward to that.

Craftsman
    I use the Meguiars APC, have tried a few of them and don’t see masses of difference. If there’s a deal I will try something else.

I’ve made that WW mistake in the past too. I still have it for stubborn areas but heavily diluted. That smell is awful.

Alloys are used with bilberry juice diluted which seems to work fine. Got the wheel sealant to do this spring & not looking forward to that.

Thanks - I'll have a look for some. I too am now using the bilberry cleaner and seems to be pretty good.