closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 101 to 117 of 117

Thread: Car Washing Advice - Kit & Technique

  1. #101
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Bungay England
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    On that note - can you recommend a good APC? I'm always fearful of spraying cleaning chemicals on the paintwork! I recall back in the day when I wrecked a nice set of alloys with 'Wonder Wheels' that I let dwell to long before washing it off!
    I use Bilt Hamber Surfex. Excellent stuff which you dilute as required for bodywork it's about 4% so 5l will last a lifetime
    You can use it at higher strength to degrease bike chains etc

    Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    On that note - can you recommend a good APC? I'm always fearful of spraying cleaning chemicals on the paintwork! I recall back in the day when I wrecked a nice set of alloys with 'Wonder Wheels' that I let dwell to long before washing it off!
    This: https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/valet...itrus-pre-wash

    Just dilute it to approximately 10:1 for use on paintwork, and apply using a pump-action spray. Don't leave it on the paint for too long, and certainly don't let it dry.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

  3. #103
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    This: https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/valet...itrus-pre-wash

    Just dilute it to approximately 10:1 for use on paintwork, and apply using a pump-action spray. Don't leave it on the paint for too long, and certainly don't let it dry.
    OK - Thanks. I don't have a power washer so using a pump spray would be good for me. Am I right in thinking that this stuff would be good at getting rid of things like green algae on window rubbers and other nooks and crannies? I'm thinking, spray it on and after a short period wash it off (or hose off with fresh water) as part of the actual car wash process, then rinse and dry the car?

  4. #104
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Bungay England
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    OK - Thanks. I don't have a power washer so using a pump spray would be good for me. Am I right in thinking that this stuff would be good at getting rid of things like green algae on window rubbers and other nooks and crannies? I'm thinking, spray it on and after a short period wash it off (or hose off with fresh water) as part of the actual car wash process, then rinse and dry the car?
    If you are looking to get rid of green algae on door rubbers then as you say spray it on and leave for a couple of minutes - but DON'T let it dry. I would then agitate with a softish brush an old paintbrush should be fine then hose off. You may need to repeat to get rid of all the green stuff

    Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

  5. #105
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    24,696
    Jet wash.
    snow form
    wash with a microfibres mitt
    dry with microfibre

    then use Motherís CMX ceramic pre treatment followed by Mothers CMX Ceramic polish. Did the Merc last week and Porsche yesterday. Very impressed especially as the Ceramic is good for 6 months.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  6. #106
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    304
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    If you are looking to get rid of green algae on door rubbers then as you say spray it on and leave for a couple of minutes - but DON'T let it dry. I would then agitate with a softish brush an old paintbrush should be fine then hose off. You may need to repeat to get rid of all the green stuff

    Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Perfect! Thanks.

  7. #107
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    4,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Jet wash.
    snow form
    wash with a microfibres mitt
    dry with microfibre

    then use Motherís CMX ceramic pre treatment followed by Mothers CMX Ceramic polish. Did the Merc last week and Porsche yesterday. Very impressed especially as the Ceramic is good for 6 months.
    I always snow foam before jet wash, let everything soften up. Is there a rationale in your approach on jet wash first? Dwell on a wet car is less than a dry.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #108
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I always snow foam before jet wash, let everything soften up. Is there a rationale in your approach on jet wash first? Dwell on a wet car is less than a dry.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your approach is correct

  9. #109
    Does anyone use a car cover to keep their car clean after theyíve washed it? I live next to a road and find my car gets covered in dust in just a few days, even if Iíve not driven anywhere.

    I really like having a clean car but it feels a bit pointless cleaning it regularly when itís just going to get covered in dust so quickly. Not to mention the bird poo.

    No that I work at home much more the car can sit on the drive for several days before I use it, so I was thinking about getting a car cover to stop the dust and bird poo. But I can decide it that will be more hassle than itís worth to keep taking the cover on and off it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by dashfield View Post
    Does anyone use a car cover to keep their car clean after theyíve washed it? I live next to a road and find my car gets covered in dust in just a few days, even if Iíve not driven anywhere.

    I really like having a clean car but it feels a bit pointless cleaning it regularly when itís just going to get covered in dust so quickly. Not to mention the bird poo.

    No that I work at home much more the car can sit on the drive for several days before I use it, so I was thinking about getting a car cover to stop the dust and bird poo. But I can decide it that will be more hassle than itís worth to keep taking the cover on and off it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hereís an example. I washed the car last Saturday and only driven it once this week. Itís been dry all week but look how dirty it is




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #111
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    West Yorks
    Posts
    919
    I live on an A road and mines the same, covers in my view are not a good idea causing damage in there deployment.

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    I live on an A road and mines the same, covers in my view are not a good idea causing damage in there deployment.
    I thought they were soft and fluffy inside so they donít damage the car?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by dashfield View Post
    I thought they were soft and fluffy inside so they donít damage the car?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good ones are however you need to keep in mind how and when they're used. If you're placing one over a freshly cleaned car then great, no issues there, though once you've removed that cover and go for a drive any dirt that accumulates on the car's surface will the be transfered onto the inside of the cover as soon as you place it back on again, unless you clean your car first... Don't underestimate how tricky covers can be when putting on in a breeze as well, any slight air movement and they can billow, and you need to keep the cover off the ground else it'll be picking up dirt/grit there.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Good ones are however you need to keep in mind how and when they're used. If you're placing one over a freshly cleaned car then great, no issues there, though once you've removed that cover and go for a drive any dirt that accumulates on the car's surface will the be transfered onto the inside of the cover as soon as you place it back on again, unless you clean your car first... Don't underestimate how tricky covers can be when putting on in a breeze as well, any slight air movement and they can billow, and you need to keep the cover off the ground else it'll be picking up dirt/grit there.
    Thanks, hadnít thought of dirt transferring from a driven car to the inside of the cover.

    I was thinking about finishing my wash with something like Sonax Xtreme Brilliant Shine with the theory that I could then just give the car and quick rinse and dry each weekend and get it looking fairly clean again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #115
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,974
    Blog Entries
    1
    Washed my VX220 today, not bad for original 2003/80k paint and north of 75 trackdays.


  16. #116
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    4,457
    Gave mine a good 4hr clean, fell out of love with cleaning through lockdowns over the last year, but found it enjoyable & therapeutic.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Gave mine a good 4hr clean, fell out of love with cleaning through lockdowns over the last year, but found it enjoyable & therapeutic.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nice work! I agree with the enjoyable aspect. My wife and my neighbors think I am crazy about the amount I wash my car but its a peaceful break away.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information