closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car Washing Advice - Kit & Technique

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    On that note - can you recommend a good APC? I'm always fearful of spraying cleaning chemicals on the paintwork! I recall back in the day when I wrecked a nice set of alloys with 'Wonder Wheels' that I let dwell to long before washing it off!
    I use Bilt Hamber Surfex. Excellent stuff which you dilute as required for bodywork it's about 4% so 5l will last a lifetime
    You can use it at higher strength to degrease bike chains etc

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

On that note - can you recommend a good APC? I'm always fearful of spraying cleaning chemicals on the paintwork! I recall back in the day when I wrecked a nice set of alloys with 'Wonder Wheels' that I let dwell to long before washing it off!
    This: https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/valet...itrus-pre-wash

Just dilute it to approximately 10:1 for use on paintwork, and apply using a pump-action spray. Don't leave it on the paint for too long, and certainly don't let it dry.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    This: https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/valet...itrus-pre-wash

Just dilute it to approximately 10:1 for use on paintwork, and apply using a pump-action spray. Don't leave it on the paint for too long, and certainly don't let it dry.
    OK - Thanks. I don't have a power washer so using a pump spray would be good for me. Am I right in thinking that this stuff would be good at getting rid of things like green algae on window rubbers and other nooks and crannies? I'm thinking, spray it on and after a short period wash it off (or hose off with fresh water) as part of the actual car wash process, then rinse and dry the car?

Craftsman
    OK - Thanks. I don't have a power washer so using a pump spray would be good for me. Am I right in thinking that this stuff would be good at getting rid of things like green algae on window rubbers and other nooks and crannies? I'm thinking, spray it on and after a short period wash it off (or hose off with fresh water) as part of the actual car wash process, then rinse and dry the car?
    If you are looking to get rid of green algae on door rubbers then as you say spray it on and leave for a couple of minutes - but DON'T let it dry. I would then agitate with a softish brush an old paintbrush should be fine then hose off. You may need to repeat to get rid of all the green stuff

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Jet wash.
    snow form
    wash with a microfibres mitt
    dry with microfibre

then use Mother’s CMX ceramic pre treatment followed by Mothers CMX Ceramic polish. Did the Merc last week and Porsche yesterday. Very impressed especially as the Ceramic is good for 6 months.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    If you are looking to get rid of green algae on door rubbers then as you say spray it on and leave for a couple of minutes - but DON'T let it dry. I would then agitate with a softish brush an old paintbrush should be fine then hose off. You may need to repeat to get rid of all the green stuff

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Perfect! Thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Jet wash.
    snow form
    wash with a microfibres mitt
    dry with microfibre

then use Mother’s CMX ceramic pre treatment followed by Mothers CMX Ceramic polish. Did the Merc last week and Porsche yesterday. Very impressed especially as the Ceramic is good for 6 months.
    I always snow foam before jet wash, let everything soften up. Is there a rationale in your approach on jet wash first? Dwell on a wet car is less than a dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I always snow foam before jet wash, let everything soften up. Is there a rationale in your approach on jet wash first? Dwell on a wet car is less than a dry.

Your approach is correct

Does anyone use a car cover to keep their car clean after they’ve washed it? I live next to a road and find my car gets covered in dust in just a few days, even if I’ve not driven anywhere.

I really like having a clean car but it feels a bit pointless cleaning it regularly when it’s just going to get covered in dust so quickly. Not to mention the bird poo.

No that I work at home much more the car can sit on the drive for several days before I use it, so I was thinking about getting a car cover to stop the dust and bird poo. But I can decide it that will be more hassle than it’s worth to keep taking the cover on and off it.

Quote Originally Posted by dashfield View Post
    Does anyone use a car cover to keep their car clean after they’ve washed it? I live next to a road and find my car gets covered in dust in just a few days, even if I’ve not driven anywhere.

I really like having a clean car but it feels a bit pointless cleaning it regularly when it’s just going to get covered in dust so quickly. Not to mention the bird poo.

No that I work at home much more the car can sit on the drive for several days before I use it, so I was thinking about getting a car cover to stop the dust and bird poo. But I can decide it that will be more hassle than it’s worth to keep taking the cover on and off it.

Here’s an example. I washed the car last Saturday and only driven it once this week. It’s been dry all week but look how dirty it is

Master
    I live on an A road and mines the same, covers in my view are not a good idea causing damage in there deployment.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    I live on an A road and mines the same, covers in my view are not a good idea causing damage in there deployment.
    I thought they were soft and fluffy inside so they don’t damage the car?

Quote Originally Posted by dashfield View Post
    I thought they were soft and fluffy inside so they don’t damage the car?

Good ones are however you need to keep in mind how and when they're used. If you're placing one over a freshly cleaned car then great, no issues there, though once you've removed that cover and go for a drive any dirt that accumulates on the car's surface will the be transfered onto the inside of the cover as soon as you place it back on again, unless you clean your car first... Don't underestimate how tricky covers can be when putting on in a breeze as well, any slight air movement and they can billow, and you need to keep the cover off the ground else it'll be picking up dirt/grit there.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Good ones are however you need to keep in mind how and when they're used. If you're placing one over a freshly cleaned car then great, no issues there, though once you've removed that cover and go for a drive any dirt that accumulates on the car's surface will the be transfered onto the inside of the cover as soon as you place it back on again, unless you clean your car first... Don't underestimate how tricky covers can be when putting on in a breeze as well, any slight air movement and they can billow, and you need to keep the cover off the ground else it'll be picking up dirt/grit there.
    Thanks, hadn’t thought of dirt transferring from a driven car to the inside of the cover.

I was thinking about finishing my wash with something like Sonax Xtreme Brilliant Shine with the theory that I could then just give the car and quick rinse and dry each weekend and get it looking fairly clean again.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Washed my VX220 today, not bad for original 2003/80k paint and north of 75 trackdays.

Master
    Gave mine a good 4hr clean, fell out of love with cleaning through lockdowns over the last year, but found it enjoyable & therapeutic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gave mine a good 4hr clean, fell out of love with cleaning through lockdowns over the last year, but found it enjoyable & therapeutic.

Nice work! I agree with the enjoyable aspect. My wife and my neighbors think I am crazy about the amount I wash my car but its a peaceful break away.

Master
    Up from the depths,
    Mrs T wants to keep our new car (nothing fancy) looking good as long as possible, so I'm thinking of getting a meguiars snow foam kit to try for ease of cleaning.
    Also considering a DI filter too as we have very hard water where we are.
    Do the filters need replacing regularly? I'd only use for car washing purposes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    Up from the depths,
    Mrs T wants to keep our new car (nothing fancy) looking good as long as possible, so I'm thinking of getting a meguiars snow foam kit to try for ease of cleaning.
    Also considering a DI filter too as we have very hard water where we are.
    Do the filters need replacing regularly? I'd only use for car washing purposes.
    I use a filter from raceglaze and change the resin every 6-9 months or so. I have a cheap hardness meter that I measure the water each time. Once the resin goes, it then degraded quickly.

The small inline filters don’t last very long at all as they hold small levels of resin. Top tip regardless is to shake it before each use as the water can create a channel through it vs being circulated around the resin.

This is what I have: https://raceglaze.co.uk/shop/race-gl...ilter-7-litre/

Master
    I use a filter from raceglaze and change the resin every 6-9 months or so. I have a cheap hardness meter that I measure the water each time. Once the resin goes, it then degraded quickly.

The small inline filters don’t last very long at all as they hold small levels of resin. Top tip regardless is to shake it before each use as the water can create a channel through it vs being circulated around the resin.

This is what I have: https://raceglaze.co.uk/shop/race-gl...ilter-7-litre/
    Excellent, thanks for that, I guessed they'd require changing more often. I'll have a look at the race glaze
    Cheers
    Ian

Master
    I've had one of those for years - really good. I use it with Tulsion mb-115

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I've had one of those for years - really good. I use it with Tulsion mb-115
    Same here and purchase it in 25l bags.

As the resin seems to be the expensive bit when mine goes this time I think I might buy and second filter and get some more out of the old resin by using it to reduce the TDS before the new filter and also hopefully extend the life of the new filter too.

Wow, that car is a thing of beauty, lovely!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    As the resin seems to be the expensive bit when mine goes this time I think I might buy and second filter and get some more out of the old resin by using it to reduce the TDS before the new filter and also hopefully extend the life of the new filter too.
    When my father stops washing his car himself, I will be using his filter to do just that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    Wow, that car is a thing of beauty, lovely!!
    Thank you. In somewhat of a love-hate relationship at the moment as it’s had a few wobbles this year.

Cam valve failed and put so many systems into limp mode it was like being a learner without clutch control. Then the air con had a leak, and after that the heater valve decided it didn’t want to do what it was meant to.

Luckily all sorted by a local chap who is just very good and very well priced.

It will be getting a deep clean again this weekend as the drive back from the garage made me fall in love all over again.

Car Washing Advice - Kit & Technique

[QUOTE=dashfield;5733533]Here’s an example. I washed the car last Saturday and only driven it once this week. It’s been dry all week but look how dirty it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/

I live by the sea and use a cover to keep the weather and bird mess off the car and it works providing you prep the car before putting it on, and even after a fortnight of not using the car it stays clean.

I make sure after each run I simply use a a self service car wash to pressure rinse any dust off the car then dry it using a microfibre towel before putting the cover on.

Works perfectly well

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by pinpull; 24th June 2022 at 21:03.

Master
    On a slightly related subject does anyone have experience of battery powered pressure washers - either good or bad. I get the impression that most of them like the Worx are little better than a hose & recent Amazon reviews of the Greenworks (allegedly 70Bar & 300l/hr) aren't too good:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BHY9LJH

As I have some other Ryobi tools I was looking at the new higher pressure Ryobi but it's not widely available:
    https://uk.ryobitools.eu/garden-tool.../ry18pwx41a-0/