closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Servicing on Grand Seiko 9F movements

Servicing on Grand Seiko 9F movements

Assuming a battery change every 3 years would the watch require a service at this time (even if not a 'full' service). I.e. gaskets etc? Or is it just a battery change? Assuming the latter what would the recommended interval for a full service be? I'm assuming every 5-6 years or so as I'd imagine waterproofing will degrade over time?
    Last edited by ryanb741; 23rd March 2021 at 08:31.

I have a 2014 9F powered GS that I've had for a couple of years. It had a battery change when I got it and the watch maker checked the gaskets so I'd advise that be done at every battery change (should be 3 years or so I think). As I'm sure you know the movement is enclosed so is not opened when the battery is changed. It has a theoretical service interval of 50 years. My GS hasn't been serviced yet and I don't intend to get it serviced any time soon.

Master
    I also have a 9F in a SBGX117 diver. Had the battery changed by Seiko UK. They provided a pressure test certificate, so assume the seals were changed.
    As above, the movement module is sealed from the battery compartment, so the movement is not opened when the battery is changed. From what I have read, this inhibits the lubricants from drying out and supposedly increases the service interval to 50 years. This must be one of the most reliable movements on the planet. Had the watch 3 years and it was 2 years old when I got it, so first service is due when I am 110!

Master
    One of my many mistakes to let that go...originally had to import the 117 direct from Japan. They would not sell them here; the good thing was it went to the perfect owner in Tiny. Should outlast even him. One of the best GS designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I also have a 9F in a SBGX117 diver. Had the battery changed by Seiko UK. They provided a pressure test certificate, so assume the seals were changed.
    As above, the movement module is sealed from the battery compartment, so the movement is not opened when the battery is changed. From what I have read, this inhibits the lubricants from drying out and supposedly increases the service interval to 50 years. This must be one of the most reliable movements on the planet. Had the watch 3 years and it was 2 years old when I got it, so first service is due when I am 110!
    This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    The movement module is sealed from the battery compartment, so the movement is not opened when the battery is changed. From what I have read, this inhibits the lubricants from drying out and supposedly increases the service interval to 50 years. This must be one of the most reliable movements on the planet. Had the watch 3 years and it was 2 years old when I got it, so first service is due when I am 110!
    This is from GS website:

We recommend that you have your watch checked and overhauled periodically. Optimally, this should be done every three to four years.

https://www.grand-seiko.com/uk-en/support

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    This is from GS website:

We recommend that you have your watch checked and overhauled periodically. Optimally, this should be done every three to four years.

https://www.grand-seiko.com/uk-en/support
    I believe this is regarding the mechanical movements. Or just playing it safe while advertising something else with the 9F Quartz.

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    I believe this is regarding the mechanical movements. Or just playing it safe while advertising something else with the 9F Quartz.

When I enquired with the Seiko service centre last year 3 to 4 was there recommend service interval on the 9F quartz movement.

When I enquired with the Seiko service centre last year 3 to 4 was there recommend service interval on the 9F quartz movement.
    This is what they say indeed.

When I researched the 9F movement 9/10 places mention the seals and lubrication will be good for up to 50 years due to the sealed cabin.

I won’t be submitting my 9F for a movement service anytime soon.

The first battery replacement from new was a doddle to - very carefully - do myself, and should keep it ticking for three years.

I did take care to inspect & re-seat the case back gasket with an modest application of silicon grease. It looked fine and will no doubt do the job for a few years yet.

Yes, there are other seals (crown etc.) that I won’t touch and that could be a weak point for water ingress. Or I might even have inadvertently crimped or sheared the case back gasket when resealing.

However, my SBGX is a dress watch for me, almost always worn under a shirt sleeve, so it’ll never be worn in water and I’m happy to take the risk that I won’t be pushed or fall into water in the meantime.

Perhaps in 10-15 years I’ll send it to Seiko for replacement of all seals at a reasonable cost.

I’m not concerned about the movement itself. Plenty of cheap quartz watches work away for decades with minimal degradation in performance. Yes, the oils will still deteriorate over time and the battery drain may be higher. With the 9f’s build characteristics I expect it to fare better over the decades, though.

Master
    Of course. Changing the battery and pressure testing is also a service (battery life is 3 years on the 9F). Doesn't mean a movement strip down.

Thanks for the feedback gents

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    I also seem to remember reading somewhere that Grand Seiko's 9F quartz movement is assembled entirely by hand by two expert craftsmen.