closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart 44mm watches Marine and Pilot watches

Steinhart 44mm watches Marine and Pilot watches

I have been looking at Steinhart watches as an inexpensive bit of fun especially their hand wind marine and pilot watches. The one thing that stops me buying is the size of the cases, 44mm. Marine watches generally look big anyway in a 42mm case and I have tried a few (Kennmer, Tourby, Dornbluth) So my concern is at 44mm the watch will look massive.

Does anyone here have a marine watch in 44mm or one of their pilot watches (Especially the ones with the Unitas movements) and how comfortable are they to wear?

Banned
    It's like a clock. Probably better with the smaller automatic version or maybe Stowa do a smaller handcranker?

It’s quite big particularly with no bezel. Also quite thick. There are a couple of 40mm fliegers that they did but not seen one for a while. The also do a marine at 38mm which is quite nice.

I think you are right to be cautious on the size. Pilot watches are meant to wear big but 44mm for this type of watch will be huge in anyone's language. I have 7 inch wrists and I can just get away with a 40mm Mark18. I'd definitely go 40mm or smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I think you are right to be cautious on the size. Pilot watches are meant to wear big but 44mm for this type of watch will be huge in anyone's language. I have 7 inch wrists and I can just get away with a 40mm Mark18. I'd definitely go 40mm or smaller.
    Ye I think that mark18 looks ridiculous on you - really

I’ll take it off your hands

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    It’s quite big particularly with no bezel. Also quite thick. There are a couple of 40mm fliegers that they did but not seen one for a while. The also do a marine at 38mm which is quite nice.
    If they still did that marine 38 I would have bought it but I think it’s no longer in production?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    If they still did that marine 38 I would have bought it but I think it’s no longer in production?
    They turn up on e-bay and Chrono 24 from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    It's like a clock. Probably better with the smaller automatic version or maybe Stowa do a smaller handcranker?
    This is my fear, I am considering a Stowa marine bronze later on in the year but thought the Steinhart may be an inexpensive watch until then.

Master

Steinhart Marine 38

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I have a Steinhart Marine 38, with which I might be persuaded to part (not enough wrist time but the perfect size for a marine watch). If you’re interested, drop me a PM, and I’ll arrange photos for you to take a look at it.

I do think there’s a load of old tosh talked about watch sizes at times.

I had a Steinhart Marine Chronometer for some years and it was a lovely watch and perfectly comfortable to wear - for me. For someone else it might be excruciatingly uncomfortable.

In my case everything I own is between 44mm and 47mm diameter, because that’s what I like and what works for me.

OP, you don’t say if you habitually wear larger diameter watches, so it is rather hard to judge if either the Marine Chronometer or a 44mm Pilot is going to be a problem for you.

One of the common points of confusion is that people mix up
    or equate appearance with comfort. A 44mm watch with no bezel will always appear bigger because it’s all dial, but it’s still only a 44mm case on the wrist.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I do think there’s a load of old tosh talked about watch sizes at times.

I had a Steinhart Marine Chronometer for some years and it was a lovely watch and perfectly comfortable to wear - for me. For someone else it might be excruciatingly uncomfortable.

In my case everything I own is between 44mm and 47mm diameter, because that’s what I like and what works for me.

OP, you don’t say if you habitually wear larger diameter watches, so it is rather hard to judge if either the Marine Chronometer or a 44mm Pilot is going to be a problem for you.

One of the common points of confusion is that people mix up
    or equate appearance with comfort. A 44mm watch with no bezel will always appear bigger because it’s all dial, but it’s still only a 44mm case on the wrist.

Simon
    That’s a fair point Simon, I did mention I have a Dornbluth and Tourby Ottoman both of which are 42mm, I have owned a couple of Precista Italian and California dial watches both of which were 44mm and didn’t have a problem wearing them. Not having owned a Steinhart watch before or a 44mm marine watch it’s a bit of an unknown for me.

I have 6.75" wrists and years ago had the Steinhart Fleiger 47mm. It was ridiculous but I loved it :)

Craftsman
    I’ve got 6.75” wrists and found the marine chrono a bit on the large size for a dressy style watch so moved it on. Have got a 44mm nav-b and love it, it’s a chunk but that works for a flieger.