closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Some Scurfa thoughts

Craftsman

Some Scurfa thoughts

Only recently, I became aware of Scurfa watches though this forum, and, thanks to the help of Steve (searat) and Bob (acg), now have one.

I'm absolutely delighted with it and thought I'd just share a few thoughts.

The Scurfa Ti 98% meets my toolwatch 'want' list: Hugely visible hands, titanium, drilled lugs, 'normal' size and (shock horror) quartz.

I'm an avid marathon kayaker & surfskier, and I have small wrists; so bulk/weight are an issue for me, both aesthetically, and because I 'wave my arms about' a lot. Based on posts here, I had decided Scurfas would probably be a bit too chunky for my tastes, but at the feature list and price point, I thought it was worth a try and took a punt. . and I've been very pleased to find that the watch wears light and, somehow, the bulk seems OK: it wears thinner than its dimensions suggest.

On the wrist, although thicker than a submariner, it has significantly less mass - which suits my needs (I preferred, when I had them, 16710s over 16610s for the mm less depth; the Scurfa is thicker than both, but doesn't feel so - prob a function of the Ti)

I've dug out a pic of my old 2231.5 (I do like titanium watches!), and tried to take a similar angle to show how the Surfa wears - it's almost 4mm thicker, but doesn't look that different ... which I don't really understand.

Legibility is stunning; hands seem to have been forgotten by many manufacturers as the whole point of a watch.* These are awesome, single glance time-telling in all light, without reading glasses.

Here's a pic of a Yema to illustrate my point on modern manufacturers misunderstanding legibility priorities..

And here's the Scurfa

The colours are bang on too!

The other part of my delight is 'value'... I've sold all my posh watches - I just stopped 'believing' - and this feels 'clever' ... like a watch for those who may have stopped buying-in to some of today's prices.

Why 98%? Whilst it wears thin, I'd like it to actually be thin

... it's a 500m watch with a necessarily thick caseback; a 300m version with a flat case back would perfection.

:)
    Last edited by Brauner Hund; 21st March 2021 at 14:30.

Only had two of the quartz ones but found them too thick myself, the case back especially was unusually thick and made the watch look like it was sitting well off the wrist with the lugs far above where they noramlly would rest on most watches. ( i cant see that effect in your pics however )

But other than that excellent for the price

Thanks for the review - useful as I often find myself considering a Scurfa but haven't actually gone through with it. Unfortunately the thickness is the (only) thing stopping me

Craftsman
    Thanks.
    Not sure I'd feel the same if it had the weight of steel, rather than Ti.
    Whilst I would prefer it to have a, say, 300m thickness case back, I'm also conscious that I'm looking at the watch through a mental lens of 'it's a 500m dive watch'; which might be making me more forgiving(?) I suspect it's smaller and lighter than equivalent Seiko dive watches. On the wrist, it seems absolutely fine... and genuinely 'tool'. I'd really recommend.mend trying one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A useful review - thank you. I've always admired Scurfas but not bought one yet. My tastes have altered since the days of a Sub and a Sea Dweller and I am happy with less expensive tool watches (currently on a Seiko kick)

I am on my second Scurfa.
    The first was a steel no-date one with vintaged lume, which I didn't really get on with as the lume was really poor. It got sold quite quickly.
    And just recently I picked up a Ti black one, again no-date. The lume is still not exceptional, but it is much better, and the lightness of the ti makes it really wearable.
    And having picked it up for £160 off Ebay, it is a stupidly good watch for the money.
    It is now my default go-anywhere watch.
    D

Master
    Picked up one of these. Brilliant design, aesthetically and mechanically.

Craftsman
    Yup. An actual tool watch.

Craftsman
    I’ve had one of the grey dial Bell Diver’s in the past and really liked it.
    Only sold on as I found it slightly large.
    I also keep looking at the Diver One’s, I like the look of the MS models they bring out once a year.
    Cheers,
    Rob

Craftsman
    I’m a big fan as well. Had my PVD one for a while and not only is the watch itself tremendous but the rubber strap is also very comfortable.

This has actually reminded me that mine is actually needing a new battery so that on the to do list for this week!!

Craftsman

Some Scurfa thoughts

I’’m wearing my MS17 today. They are great value watches. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Titanium model.

I do regret selling my Bell Diver1, a very distinctive design.

I’m looking forward to the Treasure Seeker later in the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to admit, for me it would have been the perfect watch apart from one thing. The size, why oh why do they not make it in a size above 40mm. Would buy in a heartbeat it they did something 42mms or above

Really like the look of Scurfa watches, at some point I will try one out. Hopefully the limited Diver One in May.
    https://www.scurfawatches.com/produc...mited-edition/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    I have to admit, for me it would have been the perfect watch apart from one thing. The size, why oh why do they not make it in a size above 40mm. Would buy in a heartbeat it they did something 42mms or above
    How funny, my point was quite the opposite- if anything they're too big, by virtue of their thickness. Diameter-wise, they're perfect... one day, like flared trousers, people will look back and laugh at the time when people wore dinner plates on their wrists :D :)
    Last edited by Brauner Hund; 23rd March 2021 at 14:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    How funny, my point was quite the opposite- if anything they're too big, by virtue of their thickness. Diameter-wise, they're perfect... one day, like flared trousers, people will look back and laugh at the time when people wore dinner plates on their wrists :D :)
    It has nothing to do with fashion for me but what looks sensible on my large wrist.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    Quite agree 42 mm with 22mm lugs would be perfect tried the Scurfa one with the yellow face and loved it but could not get on with the size same BTW for the Undone i just received and sold
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Quite agree 42 mm with 22mm lugs would be perfect tried the Scurfa one with the yellow face and loved it but could not get on with the size same BTW for the Undone i just received and sold
    Spot on Sir, it sure is a lovely watch without a doubt and the dimensions you say would be perfect.

Craftsman
    Not a great photo but I purchased this one a while back. It's a Scurfa ND513 with what they describe as 'old Radium' lume. The lume is that classic fauxtina which occasionally I think is a little too peach in colour but generally I like it. It is a fairly weighty piece and does wear possibly a tad high on the wrist. The supplied rubber strap is good and I have one of Scurfas bracelets which has a dive extension on it but I haven't tried it yet as I like the rubber one. I believe the bracelet is good though.

I alternate this with a CWC RN Divers and I think on balance I prefer the CWC as it wears a little lighter and close to the wrist and is maybe a bit more comfortable - could be the NATO pull through strap though making it wear better.

The Scurfa is amazing value IMO and the newer models are more of the same. Great bezel action as well.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Eddiex; 24th March 2021 at 08:39.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    I alternate this with a CWC RN Divers and I think on balance I prefer the CWC as it wears a little lighter and close to the wrist and is maybe a bit more comfortable - could be the NATO pull through strap though making it wear better.

The Scurfa is amazing value IMO and the newer models are more of the same. Great bezel action as well.

[IMG][/IMG]
    On the CWC, you're the second person I've read with a view that it sits more snugly - but I've never had a chance to try one; I've decided to take a punt next time one appears at the right price. I'm not sure it'll match the legibility of the D1, though!

I’m not surprised the CWC diver wears thinner - I bought one recently and was surprised at how slim it is - actually it’s a lot smaller than I imagined ‘in the metal’ all over having not handled one before. The flat crystal and shallow caseback means it wears slimmer than any other diver I can think of tbh

Craftsman
    Thanks, more great CWC 'thinness' info - definitely going to try one!

Craftsman
    Those Scurfas actually look nice something I would add to my collection if I picked one up for the right price

Quote Originally Posted by Brauner Hund View Post
    Only recently, I became aware of Scurfa watches though this forum, and, thanks to the help of Steve (searat) and Bob (acg), now have one.

I'm absolutely delighted with it and thought I'd just share a few thoughts.

The Scurfa Ti 98% meets my toolwatch 'want' list: Hugely visible hands, titanium, drilled lugs, 'normal' size and (shock horror) quartz.

I'm an avid marathon kayaker & surfskier, and I have small wrists; so bulk/weight are an issue for me, both aesthetically, and because I 'wave my arms about' a lot. Based on posts here, I had decided Scurfas would probably be a bit too chunky for my tastes, but at the feature list and price point, I thought it was worth a try and took a punt. . and I've been very pleased to find that the watch wears light and, somehow, the bulk seems OK: it wears thinner than its dimensions suggest.

On the wrist, although thicker than a submariner, it has significantly less mass - which suits my needs (I preferred, when I had them, 16710s over 16610s for the mm less depth; the Scurfa is thicker than both, but doesn't feel so - prob a function of the Ti)

I've dug out a pic of my old 2231.5 (I do like titanium watches!), and tried to take a similar angle to show how the Surfa wears - it's almost 4mm thicker, but doesn't look that different ... which I don't really understand.

Legibility is stunning; hands seem to have been forgotten by many manufacturers as the whole point of a watch.* These are awesome, single glance time-telling in all light, without reading glasses.

Here's a pic of a Yema to illustrate my point on modern manufacturers misunderstanding legibility priorities..

And here's the Scurfa

The colours are bang on too!

The other part of my delight is 'value'... I've sold all my posh watches - I just stopped 'believing' - and this feels 'clever' ... like a watch for those who may have stopped buying-in to some of today's prices.

Why 98%? Whilst it wears thin, I'd like it to actually be thin

... it's a 500m watch with a necessarily thick caseback; a 300m version with a flat case back would perfection.

:)
    Delighted you’re enjoying the Scurfa titanium, excellent watch. Quality of construction is as good as any of the expensive watches I’ve owned, especially the crown & bezel - better alignment than the Tudor Pelagos I had at ten times the price of the Scurfa.
    I’d prefer a flat or double dome sapphire to avoid distortion, but it’s the only thing I’d change.
    Steve

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by searat View Post
    Delighted you’re enjoying the Scurfa titanium, excellent watch. Quality of construction is as good as any of the expensive watches I’ve owned, especially the crown & bezel - better alignment than the Tudor Pelagos I had at ten times the price of the Scurfa.
    I’d prefer a flat or double dome sapphire to avoid distortion, but it’s the only thing I’d change.
    Steve
    Thanks Steve :)

I do have to perceive it as a 500m watch - between that and the absence of weight, I can ignore the caseback thickness... just trying it in an old black strap, seems to work:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by searat View Post
    Steve

Initially I didn't like the distortion that the crystal creates when you view the watch at a 'low angle' on the wrist. Once you turn wrist to look at the face its fine. I think the distortion gives it a bit of character!

However, it seems that someone else didn't like it so changed it -

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...e-Crystal-Swap

I must admit I took a bit of a fancy to the yellow dialled version.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Paul Scurfield, the chap behind Scurfa (that’s his nickname), did an interview with ‘The Grey NATO’ podcast. It can still be found online and is well worth a listen.

The classic 40mm diameter size is quite deliberate, I think - originally, he created his watches for his friends & colleagues who also worked as commercial North Sea divers. They had all sold-off or ‘retired’ their vintage Rolex dive watches etc. given the explosion in their value and needed replacements for work. Given they were replacing vintage watches, the 40mm size made sense. Plus, working in confined spaces and with a lot of gear, I suppose overly big & chunky watches could be a hindrance.

I get the sense they are very much a watch designed by someone who understands the practical characteristics needed in a tool watch, with a dash of vintage Diver inspiration for good measure.

His wife helps out by packaging & posting the watches too - I always appreciate that sort of personal connection with a watch brand.

Master
    I've got the Bell Diver One in the photo above. I'm not a diver and it's never going to get used for what is was designed and built for, but it's a really nice looking watch that's not going to let me down for telling the time.

Master
    I bought a Diver One for one of our older teenagers as a first watch. It was a great value proposition in that he preferred quartz but also has something relatively rare and very much made for the job. I probably see Damasko as the next step up in terms of the perfect day to day wearer but can't fault the Scurfa for what it is and wish them well.

Had a D1 for a while, bought and subsequently re-sold on here - close to perfect in size, legibility, value-for-money and comfort - only reason it went is I have a dislike for how easily-damaged aluminium bezels are: the watch was near-mint, and I'm a clumsy sod with too many watches... Kinda miss it, they're great watches.

My Diver One D1-500 Gloss Blue arrived today and I'm really impressed. Case dimensions are perfect for my 6.75 incher, legibility is outstanding, crown action is excellent and bezel alignment spot on. Unlike other reviews I don't find it too thick. Really great spec at 500m WR with a concealed escape valve for £228.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 30th March 2021 at 14:31. Reason: Pics

I wish the automatic version came in the style of the quartz one

I’m really tempted with one of these although I’ll probably go for a wackier dial colour as I want to avoid the ‘sub homage’ look as much as possible. The limited edition titanium version looks tempting, are these identical apart from the case material, and are they a lot more expensive? I can’t make anything out from their website

Interesting comment as I've never seen any of them as a sub homage. I fancy the May release Ti too and have made enquiries but got nothing back.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m really tempted with one of these although I’ll probably go for a wackier dial colour as I want to avoid the ‘sub homage’ look as much as possible. The limited edition titanium version looks tempting, are these identical apart from the case material, and are they a lot more expensive? I can’t make anything out from their website

Craftsman
    To me, there's nothing Rolex homage in these; in fact, from my perspective, they so improve on what a Rolex sport watch actually delivers in terms of legibility, lume, accuracy, quartz robustness etc, and the case etc is so perfectly executed, that they actually risk challenging one's perception of 'posh' sport watches. I, quite literally, can't get my head around the Scurfa price point...I'm almost looking at 'posh watch' etc adverts and laughing at the pricing.
    If you want a slightly mad perspective, at the beginning of the 1st lockdown, when we weren't quite sure what was about to befall us, I gave some thought as to what had 'real' rather than 'imagined' value... part of that had me look at Rolex and think, all it'd take is an 'emperor's new clothes' moment; for someone to say 'wait a minute, that's just another mass produced watch' and others to accept that.. and that'd be that.

My very limited experience of a Scurfa Ti is... if you have a penchant for genuine toolwatches... don't overthink it, the pricing makes no sense, take advantage of it and get one.
    Last edited by Brauner Hund; 30th March 2021 at 17:49.

Some Scurfa thoughts

I’m not saying it’s necessarily a bad thing - they certainly have more than a hint of submariner to me, but far enough away with the different dial, sword hands and domed crystal to give them their own identity. First I need to decide on a colour, never had a yellow watch before, hmmm...

Last edited by RobDad; 30th March 2021 at 19:20.

Journeyman
    I have the current gloss orange dial and it’s a lovely watch with a proper set of chamfers on the lugs. Much nicer case shape than Steinhart, for example.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Interesting comment as I've never seen any of them as a sub homage. I fancy the May release Ti too and have made enquiries but got nothing back.
    Last year they opened their shop at 8pm on the evening of the Ti release (had to keep looking at website till it was stated when it would be available), It's a bit like Timefactors as "first come, first served served" I tried but was woefully slow and I believe they sold out (only 100 released) in less than 10 secs. I did put up a WTB and luckily snagged one (MS20). A great "tool" watch that is stunning VFM. Cheers, John B4

Alison replied last night saying it's FCFS and they'll provide more info nearer release.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    Last year they opened their shop at 8pm on the evening of the Ti release (had to keep looking at website till it was stated when it would be available), It's a bit like Timefactors as "first come, first served served" I tried but was woefully slow and I believe they sold out (only 100 released) in less than 10 secs. I did put up a WTB and luckily snagged one (MS20). A great "tool" watch that is stunning VFM. Cheers, John B4

Never liked yellow dials but this could be the first yellow I've ever bought:

https://www.scurfawatches.com/produc...d1-500-yellow/

From the new batch of Ti 500m Diver Ones. It was a lovely warm yet overcast day at Seahouses on the Northumberland coast. That's Bamburgh way in the distance.

^^^ Nice. Very legible, suits that rubber strap too and being titanium the size isn't going to leave a huge hefting weight on the wrist.

Gorgeous part of the UK, would be on my shortlist for somewhere to move after a Lotto win.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

The properties that line the coast are beautiful and are definitely life-goal houses.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    ^^^ Nice. Very legible, suits that rubber strap too and being titanium the size isn't going to leave a huge hefting weight on the wrist.

Gorgeous part of the UK, would be on my shortlist for somewhere to move after a Lotto win.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Some Scurfa thoughts

I have worn my MS21 a lot this summer on the Nato, I’d forgotten it’s Ti to be honest, doesn’t feel that light, which isn’t a criticism, it feels very solid. Wish I had smaller wrists - the size of the watch is fine but the otherwise excellent rubber straps are just too short for me, the buckle end is half way round my wrist. Looks great, but I belong in the ‘watch needs a date’ camp. Still much prefer these to the new Treasure Seeker which doesn’t appeal at all, much too fussy!