closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Top-Five watches in your collection

Top-Five watches in your collection

Someone started this kind of thread at WUS so I thought I could just put one here as well.

The number one: Rolex 16610. There are a lot of discussions how brand XXX has made much better bracelet or clasp than a Submariner. Or how the model XXX is “much better done” than a Submariner. Well yeah, but they’re still not the Rolex Submariner – and never will be.

There is a whole industry built around Submariner homages. It’s THE model that most manufacturers aspire to have in their lineup – and a measuring stick that all dive watches get compared to, like it or not. This is the one that I wear the most. It's perfect (for me).

40mm Day-Date full gold. A true flagship of Rolex, the Daddy of them all.

EBEL BTR. Probably the most underrated and overlooked watch ever made. Maybe the design is controversial I don't know... but for some reason I love it. Gorgeous inhouse movement and stunning details. At 44.5mm it's a great choice for a medium/big-sized wrists. My favorite chronograph hands down.

Rolex GMT Master II (in all of its incarnations). Well everyone knows this watch. Versatile and classic design.

Breitling old model SteelFish X-Plus 44mm. This is one of my all time favorite diver watches and ironically my favorite Breitling (although the brand is not known so well of its diver watches). Another crazy bargain in the preowned watch market.

I could continue the list forever (Heuer Monaco, Camaro, Carrera, Autavia, Sea-Dweller, Moon Watch, various AP models). Actually I don't own the DD (the watch belongs to a friend) but these are the essentials from my collection and I'm eventually going to buy the DD anyway.

I have written a lot about all these watches in my blog (if you want to read more).
    https://luxurywatches635.wordpress.com/

Cheers.

Definitely easier to do than an SOTC (for me at least). Wonderful photos by the way.

Here are my top 5.

Number 1

Sinn EZM1.
    Chased one of these for years. Titanium simplicity and a very cool movement (Lemania 5100). Honestly, the perfect watch.

Number 2

Rolex 126610LV.
    Just in recently but a lovely thing. The small changes make the difference and it’s far better than my Hulk was for daily wear.

Number 3

Damasko DA47.
    Probably my favourite weekend wearer. Absolutely love the fact I can wear and forget. Feels bomb proof and looks great too!

Number 4.

Everyone loves a Speedy! This one is my birth year, something marginally vintage, with a little patina too. 145.022 reference, with original bracelet.

Number 5.

The hardest one to pick for sure. But I’m going for my Sinn Arktis. This one is the second I’ve had. Condition incredible. I love the colours on the dial and everything about it to be honest. Reference Sinn 203 Arktis.

Last edited by Gavbaz; 21st March 2021 at 16:09.

Wow. Thanks for participating. Great choices!!!

Here're my five:

Glashutte Original Seventies Chrono

Rolex GMT 16710 'stick dial'

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300

Rolex Submariner 16800

IWC portuguese 3716

Somehow I feel a 'bottom 5' might be more interesting

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Here're my five:

Glashutte Original Seventies Chrono

All incredible in different ways Thom but wow, that Glashutte. Simply stunning.

I’ll need to get them out of the safe, but...

1) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 unworn in stickers

2) Rolex 16610LV non-rehaut

3) Rolex 14060 COSC

4) Patek 5711 - Blue dial

5) Rolex Daytona white gold, black dial/Arabics

Very tricky to pick a top 5, and I do feel a little guilty that a lot of other very deserving watches don’t get an airing, but such is life.
    It's just a matter of time...

Cool thread, I’m in

N°1 edited on second thought, Autavia 2446C GMT, which is a birth year as a cool bonus. This one is the only survivor from my former Heuer vintage maniac collection

Because everyone deserves to treat himself with one nice and classic watch, Omega Constellation 2652-6SC

I’m a fan of military watches, I’m french, Dodane type 21 is an obvious choice

This the ONE as in everything started with it, Omega Speedmaster

And n°5 is a modern diver, could have been the last Synchron military release which put a smile on my face every time I wear it, but I choose the Deepstar instead because of its chronograph features

Last edited by pepere13; 21st March 2021 at 18:08.

I'll try and mix it up so there's something other than a rolex at the top .

1. Is my Seiko Alpinist Sarb017 version. It does everything and is the perfect size for me.

2. Seiko Sarb 035 same size as the Alpinist but a little subtler.

3. Early 70s Bulova accutron. Something about that buzzing has me hooked.

4. Lorier Falcon 2. Love the waffle dial, the size and the bracelet is something to behold the it catches the light right.

5. Modded Seiko skx. Because its fun and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Thanks Gav, it is a great watch and very underrated

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Yep, a clear standout for me.
    This and a vintage Fifty Fathoms would be my ultimate 2 watch collection I think.

Some great watches here.

My top 5 would be

Rolex 16750 matte dial (circa 1981) sorry another Rolex on top, but this is just perfect to my eyes.

Universal Geneve 22705-1 (circa 1963) A Valjoux 72 chrono from UG, 36 mm, and looks unreal in person.

Tudor Lollipop 76100 Blue (circa 1984), my favourite Tudor Sub by far

Rolex 1016 Matte Dial (1974) should probably place this higher...

Omega Speedmaster 321, picked up recently and is my only proper modern watch left - really well built, comfortable and good looking ...

Tough choices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pepere13 View Post
    Cool thread, I’m in

N°1 edited on second thought, Autavia 2446C GMT, which is a birth year as a cool bonus. This one is the only survivor from my former Heuer vintage maniac collection

That's one of my favorites! What a cool watch!!!

Blog Entries
    I'll play.. It just so happened I have my top-five in the same box:

Model (Date Purchased)

Zenith Chronomaster Sport (2021) - or maybe Breitling 806 re-edition (2019) comes in close second
    Rolex Yacht Master RG 40mm (2020)
    Patek Philippe Annual Calendar Yellow Gold 5146J (2006)
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas 4500V (2019)
    Rolex Submariner 124060 (2020)

Purists may argue my diminutive Air-King-Date should be in there - (but sadly I don't wear it much as it's a family heirloom and pragmatically does not have a quick set date and I hate to strain the crown mechanism )
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 21st March 2021 at 23:29.

Master
    Could easily be my 'grail' watch, chrono'/GMT....perfect.

Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Somehow I feel a 'bottom 5' might be more interesting

M
    I’ve only got five in the collection so I guess by default they must be both top and bottom!

Master
    IWC Mk XII
    Rolex 16750
    IWC 3521 Ingenieur
    Speedmaster '57 Replica (no really, that's what Omega decided to call it)
    Quartz midsize SMP

.. but honestly, ignoring brand prestige, value and all that - I think I like my Navigator and my 29A at least as much as my Speedy.

Master
    Ok, I'll have a crack.

1. Rolex 116600LN. I hate to be another of the "Rolex First" brigade, but this really is the best watch I've ever owned. On paper the 40mm size is to small for my tastes, but in reality everything about it is as close to perfect as it can get (for me)

2. Omega SMP300 (2019 model) Coming in a very close second is the latest itineration of the Sea Master Pro. In many ways the superior watch to the sub, for me one of the best watches you can get for the money at the moment.

3. Seiko 55th anniversary 1968 recreation - SLA039. A faithful recreation of one of Seiko's most iconic, watches, whose design cues can still be seen in the Seiko divers of today, over 50 years after its release.

4. Grand Seiko Spring Drive Diver - SBGA029. This was my number one for some years, only fairly recently unseated. An absolute beast, love the spring drive sweep second.

5. Bremont Supermarine 500 Black (original model) I don't get involved in any of the "heated discussions" that Bremont invariably generates on WT, but I love mine. It's my longest serving watch, having been brought new around 10 years ago. For me, its the best looking watch Bremont have ever made.

Master
    Here are the 5 that if i had to keep only five it would be these

PP 5712

Panerai 190

DSSD Cameron

Daytona 116509 racing dial

Panerai 177

Blog Entries
    That's a great collection. The Day Date is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    Someone started this kind of thread at WUS so I thought I could just put one here as well.

The number one: Rolex 16610. There are a lot of discussions how brand XXX has made much better bracelet or clasp than a Submariner. Or how the model XXX is “much better done” than a Submariner. Well yeah, but they’re still not the Rolex Submariner – and never will be.

There is a whole industry built around Submariner homages. It’s THE model that most manufacturers aspire to have in their lineup – and a measuring stick that all dive watches get compared to, like it or not. This is the one that I wear the most. It's perfect (for me).

40mm Day-Date full gold. A true flagship of Rolex, the Daddy of them all.

EBEL BTR. Probably the most underrated and overlooked watch ever made. Maybe the design is controversial I don't know... but for some reason I love it. Gorgeous inhouse movement and stunning details. At 44.5mm it's a great choice for a medium/big-sized wrists. My favorite chronograph hands down.

Rolex GMT Master II (in all of its incarnations). Well everyone knows this watch. Versatile and classic design.

Breitling old model SteelFish X-Plus 44mm. This is one of my all time favorite diver watches and ironically my favorite Breitling (although the brand is not known so well of its diver watches). Another crazy bargain in the preowned watch market.

I could continue the list forever (Heuer Monaco, Camaro, Carrera, Autavia, Sea-Dweller, Moon Watch, various AP models). Actually I don't own the DD (the watch belongs to a friend) but these are the essentials from my collection and I'm eventually going to buy the DD anyway.

I have written a lot about all these watches in my blog (if you want to read more).
    https://luxurywatches635.wordpress.com/

Cheers.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Barakuda.

Transitional 16610 with spider dial.

Big Pilot.

Vintage Navi 806.

Mil-Spec.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    My top 5 would be

Rolex 16750 matte dial (circa 1981) sorry another Rolex on top, but this is just perfect to my eyes.

Universal Geneve 22705-1 (circa 1963) A Valjoux 72 chrono from UG, 36 mm, and looks unreal in person.

Tudor Lollipop 76100 Blue (circa 1984), my favourite Tudor Sub by far

Rolex 1016 Matte Dial (1974) should probably place this higher...

Omega Speedmaster 321, picked up recently and is my only proper modern watch left - really well built, comfortable and good looking ...

Tough choices!

Amazing stuff.

Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

Vintage Navi 806.
    I like that one, C.

M

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I like that one, C.

M
    Me too. Amazing Navitimer. Old Breitlings are amazing.

Craftsman
    dear god there are some beautiful watches being shown on this thread. bravo guys.

Master
    #1 Rolex 126660/116660 JC. Dial is mesmerising in the sunlight and it wears very well for such a big watch.
    #2 PAM 614. I love how the pushers balance the CG on the ti case, and the clear dial.
    #3 Rolex 126600. Imho the perfect "only" sports Rolex. And I just love the Cyclops.
    #4 PAM 243. 44mm is the sweet spot for steel submersibles IMHO, and this is so versatile strap wise, from the OEM Velcro through rubber, NATO and leather.
    #5 Rolex EXP2 42mm polar. This was my 50th birthday watch, and the Rolex I have owned for the longest time. Subtle and understated, and the pure white dial pops.
    And pics

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ve spent way more time thinking this than I care to admit. And I’m still not sure I’ve made the right decision. But here you go.

Pam 507

H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Cosmic Green

Konstantin Chaykin Joker

Omega Constellation Megaquartz 2.4 MHz

Patek Philippe 5960

Top-five eh? Tough to choose - there are those I wear all the time, and those I just had to own but hardly ever wear, but will favour the former:

1. Most-worn, most versatile, most useful, biggest strapwhore, amazing timekeeping, scratch-resistant case, super-legible chronograph - it's got it all. Bought this on a whim at a keen price from this forum and just fell in love more and more as time went by, so much so I ended-up buying its evil-twin DC56 as well - Damasko DC57:

2. Minimalist/maximalist centre-minutes chronograph, hardened steel case, ceramic hour-marked bezel to track up to 12 hours or double-up for a second time zone, and design details tweaked to my preferences by Damasko - DC80:

3. Something special for high-days-and-holidays, uncommon centre-minutes-chrono goodness with space-rated ancestry, shiny, twisted bad-panda looks, yet highly functional and durable too - Sinn 140A:

4. Of all the watches Sinn makes, wonderful as they are, this is the one with the most potential to become a longstanding classic Submariner-style. Divisive styling or no, it dared to experiment with design and be different, yielding a tough watch with tremendous legibility - Sinn U1:

5. Tempted to slip the DC56 in here ... but I've practically lived in this last one, it's an amazing watch for not much money, has a unique feature set (1000m rated, Tritium gas lume, ceramic bezel, sapphire crystal, He valve, screwed lug bars, &c &c), and I've received truly excellent service from the maker - so not exactly a forum favourite, but for me the MWC Depthmaster is a gem:

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    I thought the composition of this picture was particularly excellent

@EJL25 and @earlofsodbury both very cool lists and nice to see ones without Rolex dominating

I am in

Here is my 5 favourite:

1. Bought by me to celebrate my 50th this year. I always wanted a Portugieser but wanted it as similar to the original as possible. The 150th anniversary was almost perfect but I did not like the blued hands. This came up in a search and I instantly fell in love:
    IWC Portugieser hand wound 8 days

2. The watch I probably wear the most. Perfect size. Bombproof, precise, interesting movement and quiet design:
    Omega PO 8500 42mm

3. This is not my first Seiko MM but it is my favourite as it combines Heritage and Modernism in one truely iconic and quiet design. It is not exactly an MM but adds Saphire and ceramic bezel. The only watch I am happy to wear in Bahnhofstrasse or in Rio (my wife is Carioca):
    SLA 019J1

4. You may have noticed the recurring dive watch theme in my little collection, well that is because I am a diver, but I rarely take a watch down. If I would it would certainly be this. Not only because it is not too expensive but because, for me, besides Submariner/Seadweller and PloProf it is truly a watch that was developed with the sole intent to dive:
    Citizen JP2000 on Isofrane (Yes I know, almost doubles the value of the watch )

5. The special one! One of the few souvenir (I am not a horder) of my late father. It has a his initials on the back and has true sentimental value:
    Kiefer 25 Jewels, probably late 60's

A good thread, and some fantastic watches showcased here.

Like others I found this hard to answer. I have a core collection of around 12/13 watches, all of which I love. I've finally identified what I'm suggesting are my top 5, based on trying to answer the question "If I could only keep 5 watches, which ones would they be, and why?". For the sake of the exercise I've had to 'bench' three watches that I also love - two Breitling Avengers and my Muehle-Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, but heyho...

I'm not sure these are in any particular order...

Offshore Professional Field Engineer
    This of course is the stunning and unique watch designed by the late, great Lorne Gifford. It's my only white(ish) dialled watch, the detailing is endlessly mesmerising and it responds to loads of different strap options.

Rolex Deepsea Sea Dweller 116660
    Yes I do have a Rolex in my top 5! The DSSD is the only Rolex I've ever wanted to own and I'm delighted with it. I love the (over-)engineering, the looks, the size and the comfort (mine lives on a RubberB and in fact I don't own the bracelet).

Breitling Navitimer World
    I'm an unashamed fan of Breitlings - primarily Avengers and Navitimers as for me these two ranges embody the most iconic Breitling design. In my top 5 I've chosen my Navitimer World, which may be a controversial choice for some as it's 46mm and therefore too big for many people. I love the comfort and the colour pallette of blue dial, white rehaut and gold accents. It's my 'best blue watch' and has travelled all over the world with me.

Doxa Sub 1500t Professional
    As a big dive watch enthusiast there are certain watches that for me embody everything I love about them - and my Sub 1500t Professional is one of those. For me it's THE definitive orange dial dive watch, this one comes with a modern re-imagining of the classic 'beads of rice' bracelet and easy adjustment on the wrist. It's striking, comfortable and accurate - it's probably also my most commented on watch along with my yellow dial Seawolf.

PRS-2 Dreadnought
    When this one came up on Sales Corner I just couldn't resist it. The watch that arguably defined the boutique diver and is just incomparable. I love that it's utterly bulletproof and is still accurate to within 1 second per day despite being 16 years old. Eddie's crowning glory in my opinion and still something different to any other dive watch out there.

I hope you've enjoyed my musings.

Simon

I too have struggled with choosing just 5, so I have chosen 5 that would be the last to be sold. They are not the most expensive, not the rarest or even the best examples in my collection but they all have sentimental attachment

1. Waltham A11 from 1944 (US issued pilots watch from WW2). My Father bought me this long before the price of military watches went through the roof. He bought it because I have been fascinated with military history / aviation since I was a small kid. He had to track it down in the US. I thought it was quite a touching gesture as my family don’t tend to go for nice gestures, we get sent to the tough love school from a young age. It is a tangible link to the past and reminds me of how lucky we are that others have made sacrifices so we can live as we do today.

2. Hamilton 6b from 1965. This was the first military watch I bought I about 2005. It started a bit of an obsession.

3. Marathon MSAR. I wanted one of these as soon as I discovered them, specifically the maple leaf version, one of 300 made for troops working on the winter Olympics, it’s a fantastic tool watch. I actually bought a quartz version for my father at the same time and he loves his version as much as I do mine.
    This was on my wrist when I went on my trip around the world. So it has a lots of memories attached.

4. Citizen Wingman (watch on right). This is the watch I wore throughout school. It was a birthday present from My parents. The original strap gave up long ago. I never wear it but it will never be sold. (The watch on the left is the same as the watch I wore through Uni but lost p1ssed one night)

5. Tudor 7016. I bought this years ago having wanted one for ages. This is all original (as far as I am aware) including bubbly dial. This watch is unique, there is not another like it and it has generated the more chat with other watch nerds than any other watch I own, it even helped me win a contract at work.

So that’s my top 5. Not the most expensive but the ones that mean the most to me
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th March 2021 at 19:02.

Not as easy as I thought but I’ve plumped for the following as a combination:-

Interestingly enough it includes one of my oldest watches, the 2531 Seamaster and the newest one, the GS 273. The Omega is just so comfortable and reliable and it’s been worn so much that I don’t worry wearing it at all. It might be still fresh new love but the Grand Seiko is just so damned good I have to force myself to take it off! My Reverso is beloved by my daughter and is never out of place in any situation, so isn’t going anywhere.
    I felt disloyal leaving a couple out but as a collection I felt that the Nautilus and Aquanaut had to be in there.

Nice to see so many classic gold Omega’s on some of the other top 5’s

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I too have struggled with choosing just 5, so I have chosen 5 that would be the last to be sold. They are not the most expensive, not the rarest or even the best examples in my collection but they all have sentimental attachment

1. Waltham A11 from 1944 (US issued pilots watch from WW2). My Father bought me this long before the price of military watches went through the roof. He bought it because I have been fascinated with military history / aviation since I was a small kid. He had to track it down in the US. I thought it was quite a touching gesture as my family don’t tend to go for nice gestures, we get sent to the tough love school from a young age. It is a tangible link to the past and reminds me of how lucky we are that others have made sacrifices so we can live as we do today.

2. Hamilton 6b from 1965. This was the first military watch I bought I about 2005. It started a bit of an obsession.

3. Marathon MSAR. I wanted one of these as soon as I discovered them, specifically the maple leaf version, one of 300 made for troops working on the winter Olympics, it’s a fantastic tool watch. I actually bought a quartz version for my father at the same time and he loves his version as much as I do mine.
    This was on my wrist when I went on my trip around the world. So it has a lots of memories attached.

4. Citizen Wingman (watch on right). This is the watch I wore throughout school. It was a birthday present from My parents. The original strap gave up long ago. I never wear it but it will never be sold. (The watch on the left is the same as the watch I wore through Uni but lost p1ssed one night)

5. Tudor 7016. I bought this years ago having wanted one for ages. This is all original (as far as I am aware) including bubbly dial. This watch is unique, there is not another like it and it has generated the more chat with other watch nerds than any other watch I own, it even helped me win a contract at work.

So that’s my top 5. Not the most expensive but the ones that mean the most to me
    The Tudor is so good... early Tudor Sub dials seem to be prone to deterioration, great to seem one in original conditions.

I only have two Rolexes, and they would be the last to go. The Explorer II is my favourite, subtle, restrained, but with a nicely done complication. The 16610 is a bit boring, but I still think it’s THE Sub, although far from the most (market) desirable.

This IWC was the watch I wore for my wedding and honeymoon, so that has to make the final 5

BR03-92 Matte Ceramic

It’s just such a unique design, I still really love it, and it’s such a contrast to the Rolex watches. I love B&R’s unapologetic confidence in producing watches like this.

Last of the 5 needs to be a Seiko, and it’s down to the SBBN007 Tuna, or the first generation orange Monster. I love that the Tuna was designed with such single mindedness for it’s purpose. The Monster was the third watch I bought as an embryonic WIS, and showed such quality for so little money, and that a modern dive watch could be a design all of its own.

Dave

Last edited by helidoc; 25th March 2021 at 01:30.

Top 5 for me

Submariner 114060
    Explorer 114270
    Datejust 16233
    Milgauss z-blue
    Tudor 58 Blue