closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sky Q broadband issues

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Sky Q broadband issues

I’ve got a Sky Q box and a BT Halo internet with the most up to date hub. It all works fine except that recently the Sky Q box keeps dropping the internet connection.
    I’ve updated the box with the latest software.
    If I reset the internet connection on the Sky Box then I’m back in business but it’s for a random period of time.

Anybody has this issue and solved it? Or has anybody got any ideas?

(There is nothing wrong with my internet...it is definitely an issue with the Sky box)

cheers

Master
    I’ve has had this issue, this week with two mini boxes. I ended up doing a hard reset of each box and they are fine now. I think they were struggling to do a software update properly.

Make sure the mini boxes are connected to your sky mesh WiFi and not started connecting to your BT broadband, you can also turn of the 2.4 channel and that helps. Had the same problem and these changes have sorted it.

Master
    /\ not sure that is correct because according to Sky...

“ Two types of Wi-Fi connection are used: a 2.4 GHz connection (only) to connect your Sky Q box to your existing Wi-Fi network/broadband connection. a 5 GHz connection to connect your Sky Q box to any Sky Q Mini boxes”

My minis are connected to my home network and then to the main box via the Sky mesh

If it’s close enough to your router run an Ethernet into it

Hear loads of issues with sky q in my job, always on so hog the WiFi too
    Ethernet does away with it and will stop your drop I’d hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm also using a Sky Q box on BT Halo and whole-home wi-fi (or whatever it's called). I connected my Sky Q box into the back of one of the wi-fi discs with an ethernet cable. It works properly - no speed or interruption issues at all. Also easy to connect because I was able to site the wi-fi disc exactly where I needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    /\ not sure that is correct because according to Sky...

“ Two types of Wi-Fi connection are used: a 2.4 GHz connection (only) to connect your Sky Q box to your existing Wi-Fi network/broadband connection. a 5 GHz connection to connect your Sky Q box to any Sky Q Mini boxes”

My minis are connected to my home network and then to the main box via the Sky mesh
    Had sky out this week as had the same problem OP, the one bit it did not say was connect main box by Ethernet. The sky bloke said their mesh is busy and gets its self stuck in a set pattern. So reducing its options keeps it simple otherwise it gets stuck and needs resets to fix. The mini boxes if they can try and use your normal WiFi and not the sky one if 2.4 is off that option stops.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    I’ve has had this issue, this week with two mini boxes. I ended up doing a hard reset of each box and they are fine now. I think they were struggling to do a software update properly.
    How do you do a hard reset on a sky Q mini box ?
    My 2 keep freezing in the bedrooms

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    Had sky out this week as had the same problem OP, the one bit it did not say was connect main box by Ethernet. The sky bloke said their mesh is busy and gets its self stuck in a set pattern. So reducing its options keeps it simple otherwise it gets stuck and needs resets to fix. The mini boxes if they can try and use your normal WiFi and not the sky one if 2.4 is off that option stops.
    I had that. Even though my main sky box was 1 foot from the router. The sky bloke connected via WiFi.
    Didn’t realise till I changed tele the other week so ran a small cable direct from router to main sky box

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post

Not an option I’m afraid...nowhere near!

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I'm also using a Sky Q box on BT Halo and whole-home wi-fi (or whatever it's called). I connected my Sky Q box into the back of one of the wi-fi discs with an ethernet cable. It works properly - no speed or interruption issues at all. Also easy to connect because I was able to site the wi-fi disc exactly where I needed it.
    It’s only a recent issue ....I will give this a whirl to see if it helps though. I’ll check the disc thing upstairs as well to make sure it’s properly connected /upgraded.

Craftsman
    I had the same problem. It was driving me mad resetting the WiFi connection every few days so I ended up getting a mesh setup, putting a hub by the sky box and connecting via Ethernet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    How do you do a hard reset on a sky Q mini box ?
    My 2 keep freezing in the bedrooms
    It’s in this article

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sk...x-wont-turn-on

Mine keeps dropping from the Ethernet. I’d say it’s as much as about the box as the method of data transmission...

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post

Sky Q what a pile of shite!
    We kept getting freezes and the mini boxes kept switching networks so I connected them via Ethernet Homeplugs, that sorted out drop outs

But we kept getting freezes, the picture would freeze on the main box and the colours change to pastel tones.

You have to do a hard reset ie pull the mains plug and leave for 30 seconds, before replugging I’m.

Another, fault is where you can’t turn on the box and the cooling fan, gets faster and faster.

When the main box freezes and you have to hard reset, you usually have to hard reset the minis.

We had the Engineer round, who replaced the main box, as it was freezing several times a day, but the new box still freezes every other day.

My old sky box (pre sky Q) never had issues.

If you look on the Sky forums there are loads of threads on connectivity issues and freezing :(

Master
    Check you have the eco power save setting consistently applied across all boxes. If one is checked and the others aren't it throws the system, some swear that an all eco setting is best and others active, just don't have conflicting settings.

Craftsman
    We had BB drop outs for months, Sky changed the Q box, the router, swapped the mini boxes, moved the router, hard wired the whole lot, had 3 x BT engineers out & it still doesn't work reliably.
    We happen to have a Plusnet business BB supply & when we connect the Q box to it they work faultlessly, as soon as we switch back to Sky BB it begins again so eventually we gave up & cancelled the Sky BB.

Sky Q is rubbish, ours freezes about twice a week. The worst thing is the network slowing down to the point catch up won’t work, if I call sky, when you eventually get to speak to someone they say everything is ok their end and it magically fixes itself. It shows that huge corporations can put a crap product on the market and get away with it.

The reason we use Q is that the mini boxes are convenient, if we weren’t so lazy we would find another way of distributing TV around the house without putting cables in.

Master
    I've had Q for 2 years, running 3 mini boxes and with a separate ISP. Only had a few minor issues, so have overall been very happy with Q