closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online purchase cancelled - opinions

Online purchase cancelled - opinions

Last night googled a general search for a type of item and at top of the page with buying links 1st one was a crazy cheap
    one.
    Went to the website and it was there, checked out the company who seemed ok so bought one, later got an email confirming
    my order.
    I guessed it was an error and expected an email this morning saying ‘sorry this was an error we can’t complete it or require
    a higher price’ but nothing.....
    Till this afternoon when I got an email saying as per you’re request we have cancelled your order
    then one from PayPal with a refund. A few minutes later another email saying

We do apologise, There was an error on the system and the product you were looking for is no longer listed. We have fully refunded you for your purchase.’

I checked their full terms and it does say they have the right to cancel orders if an error has been made on pricing but what has annoyed me is that they haven’t done that, they have sent 2 emails one saying I cancelled and then one saying it’s no longer listed which is why they cancelled both of which are lies, it’s still listed but at a higher price.
    If they had owned up to the actual error I would have done nothing but have shot them back a stroppy email pointing out the above and saying as they confirmed my order I expect it to be sent immediately or I will take it further action due
    to the principle not the money.

My question is do I really have any case to take this further? Their website doesn’t say orders are only confirmed when they ship and I have an email confirming the order.

Not talking a huge amount of money it’s about £50 so it really is the principle of them making up BS to get out of it.
    Last edited by TBKBABAB; 19th March 2021 at 15:48.

Master
    there is no law that says something has to be sold to someone, especially if an error has been made.
    People make mistakes and so do websites

It was probably an email template that they can initiate in their systems for cancellations, as I'd imagine it's usually a customer who cancels.

They've refunded you (make sure you really have the money and it isn't pending somewhere) so I can't see you getting anything else from them. Save your energies for things that will get you somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    there is no law that says something has to be sold to someone, especially if an error has been made.
    People make mistakes and so do websites
    I know, and they have even got it in their terms so why make up BS.

Master
    Sadly happens all the time - I bought and paid for a very nice Omega DeVille from Beaverbrooks a few years ago and got the normal "Dear John" type message and a refund the next day.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Same happened to me ,went elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Sadly happens all the time - I bought and paid for a very nice Omega DeVille from Beaverbrooks a few years ago and got the normal "Dear John" type message and a refund the next day.
    But did they say it was an error on the listing? what has annoyed me is that they haven’t said that and have given another reason which isn’t true. The 2nd email apologising doesn’t seem to be a standard auto send one, the 1st one could be.
    As I said I expected to receive something saying sorry we made an error on the pricing and wouldn’t have had any complaint
    if they had done this.

Master
    Life is too short for principled crusades in my opinion.

Forget about it, once you get your refund.

Master
    Check to make sure you have had a full refund.
    A large group of outdoor companies have a habit recently of offering a good price of then refunding customers minus the shipping costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got the refund, and as I said it isn’t about the money.

Really wanted a knowledgeable opinion on whether I really do have a valid contract, from my searching it would seem that I
    ‘Probably’ do as I had an email confirming the order. They could have got out of it by using their standard terms covering
    a pricing error but they haven’t so in my opinion they deserve a bit of bust up so they at least will do things properly in the future, seems like whoever is handling this doesn’t even know their own standard terms (so I’m doing them a favour really).
    No intention of turning it into a crusade just like to know how strong my case really is so can decide whether to have another round or not pending on what reply I get.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    I’ve got the refund, and as I said it isn’t about the money.

Really wanted a knowledgeable opinion on whether I really do have a valid contract, from my searching it would seem that I
    ‘Probably’ do as I had an email confirming the order. They could have got out of it by using their standard terms covering
    a pricing error but they haven’t so in my opinion they deserve a bit of bust up so they at least will do things properly in the future, seems like whoever is handling this doesn’t even know their own standard terms (so I’m doing them a favour really).
    No intention of turning it into a crusade just like to know how strong my case really is so can decide whether to have another round or not pending on what reply I get.
    Let it go. Companies are struggling in the pandemic. They made a mistake. More 'we' and less 'me' needed here I suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Let it go. Companies are struggling in the pandemic. They made a mistake. More 'we' and less 'me' needed here I suggest.
    The pandemic isn’t a reason to run your business badly. In fact I would think there is even more reason to treat
    your customers well at the moment. I’ll repeat again it’s not about the money I’m not desperately trying to get
    them to send the item just want an honest response, but like to know how tough I can be to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

Precisely.

The pandemic isn’t a reason to run your business badly. In fact I would think there is even more reason to treat
    your customers well at the moment. I’ll repeat again it’s not about the money I’m not desperately trying to get
    them to send the item just want an honest response, but like to know how tough I can be to get one.
    Ok point taken, fair enough and I agree their response hasn't been great

What are you actually hoping to achieve?

They’ve cancelled your order, best to just move on and buy elsewhere.

Anything else is just a hiding to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

This.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

It all ready feels like a lot of work just explaining it to us. Are you specifically looking for a fight with them because the terminology you're using implies you may "they deserve a bit of a bust up".

If you 'probably' do have a valid contract with them what are you wanting? Are you wanting them to send out goods to you for 'crazy cheap' because you've already it's not about the money. Are you trying to catch them out a technicality? If so to what end?

All this is not about warning others about the retailer as you haven't named them.

If you're just pissed off you didn't get a bargain you hoped might turn up I'd let it go and not worry yourself about it and become ill.

Everyone makes mistakes and who knows for sure the reason it was cancelled. Yes by the sounds of it the emails you've received sound contradictory but I can't see why a retailer would deliberately lie to you about it.

Good luck trying to find what is it you want elsewhere 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Hattori Hanzo View Post
    It all ready feels like a lot of work just explaining it to us. Are you specifically looking for a fight with them because the terminology you're using implies you may "they deserve a bit of a bust up".

If you 'probably' do have a valid contract with them what are you wanting? Are you wanting them to send out goods to you for 'crazy cheap' because you've already it's not about the money. Are you trying to catch them out a technicality? If so to what end?

All this is not about warning others about the retailer as you haven't named them.

If you're just pissed off you didn't get a bargain you hoped might turn up I'd let it go and not worry yourself about it and become ill.

Everyone makes mistakes and who knows for sure the reason it was cancelled. Yes by the sounds of it the emails you've received sound contradictory but I can't see why a retailer would deliberately lie to you about it.

Good luck trying to find what is it you want elsewhere 
    You obviously haven’t read my messages as I think I’ve been pretty clear on all the above points, the one thing I haven’t got a reply to was what my original question actually was.

Wish I hadn’t spelt out the full details and just asked if I had a valid contract if an on line order was confirmed, me thinking
    I probably do isn’t the seem as someone with more knowledge confirming this.

Master
    But did they say it was an error on the listing? what has annoyed me is that they haven’t said that and have given another reason which isn’t true. The 2nd email apologising doesn’t seem to be a standard auto send one, the 1st one could be.
    As I said I expected to receive something saying sorry we made an error on the pricing and wouldn’t have had any complaint
    if they had done this.
    They said that their stock ordering system had messed up, had sold more units than they held and offered me a tiny discount on a black faced variant vs the far nicer blue I had "ordered" at the quoted half price. That's another common cop out, but at the end of the day there wasn't much I could do about it, sadly this kind of thing is commonplace.

You sound like you’ve got too much time on your hands. I usually ignore any further correspondence with customers looking for a ‘fight’

I've re-read this thread and can see your initial question about a valid contract but no where can I see what it is you're hoping to achieve.

I also think you're going to have an extremely difficult time convincing them you're doing them a favour.

SydR
    I was left with no food last night when a company emailed me at 7pm telling me the order that I had been tracking was cancelled due to an operational error and they were refunding me.

Tracking today shows the good returned to the sender at their request.

It was too late to defrost something yesterday so I got a takeaway last night and sorted out food for the missing period.

Still do not know the reason, and don’t really care. Life’s too short. Move on.

Master
    Company made a mistake, have refunded quickly, end of story. Anyone wanting to pursue further has too much time on their hands.... ;-)

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    You sound like you’ve got too much time on your hands. I usually ignore any further correspondence with customers looking for a ‘fight’
    But do you blatantly lie to your customers rather than explaining to them actually what happened and apologising?

But do you blatantly lie to your customers rather than explaining to them actually what happened and apologising?
    Where have they lied? They said there was an error on the system. This could cause an error in the listing and/or cause an erroneous message to be sent.

I'm no expert in consumer law but vaguely recall the phrase "invitation to treat". The example was something incorrectly labelled/priced in a shop and long story short the shop is not obliged to honour the price. I appreciate this may differ to an extent, but try to reverse the positions and imagine you are a struggling retailer who discovered a pricing error that could lose you a chunk of money rather than make a profit, instead of the buyer who tries to take advantage of that mistake.

They haven't covered themselves in glory with the reasons given, but the best thing is to show good grace and move on

Threads like this serve a useful purpose in highlighting reasons why one might, or might not, buy from or sell to a particular user.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Where have they lied? They said there was an error on the system. This could cause an error in the listing and/or cause an erroneous message to be sent.
    ‘the product you were looking for is no longer listed’

That’s a lie and as I said it didn’t appear to be an automated message, someone obviously noticed the pricing error
    when processing my order to send it out and changed it on the website. As I said in my original message if they had come back and just admitted what had happened I would have said fine.

‘the product you were looking for is no longer listed’

That’s a lie and as I said it didn’t appear to be an automated message, someone obviously noticed the pricing error
    when processing my order to send it out and changed it on the website. As I said in my original message if they had come back and just admitted what had happened I would have said fine.

Is it still listed?

Is it still listed?
    Not at that price anyway, which is ok in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    I'm no expert in consumer law but vaguely recall the phrase "invitation to treat". The example was something incorrectly labelled/priced in a shop and long story short the shop is not obliged to honour the price. I appreciate this may differ to an extent, but try to reverse the positions and imagine you are a struggling retailer who discovered a pricing error that could lose you a chunk of money rather than make a profit, instead of the buyer who tries to take advantage of that mistake.

They haven't covered themselves in glory with the reasons given, but the best thing is to show good grace and move on
    Online is different, a shop can refuse to take your money and are allowed to do that, some retailers however instruct their staff that if it’s the companies error then they should honour that (this is from personal experience on the selling side).

All I’m looking for is some good grace from them, not money or the product.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it still listed?
    Yes but at a higher price.

Master

All I’m looking for is some good grace from them, not money or the product.
    I’m happy to apologise profusely on their behalf, if it makes you feel better and puts this sorry episode to bed.

OP, do you chase ambulances for a living?

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Threads like this serve a useful purpose in highlighting reasons why one might, or might not, buy from or sell to a particular user.
    This.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    OP, do you chase ambulances for a living?
    Don’t really see the relevance of this comment, how many times do I have to state that this ain’t about the money
    or trying to get something cheap.

I’ve bought and sold on here and all been very pleasant and straightforward transactions with no problems and been doing the same on eBay for many years without a single non positive feedback, maybe I just expect too much from other people.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Don’t really see the relevance of this comment, how many times do I have to state that this ain’t about the money
    or trying to get something cheap.

I’ve bought and sold on here and all been very pleasant and straightforward transactions with no problems and been doing the same on eBay for many years without a single non positive feedback, maybe I just expect too much from other people.
    They made a mistake...just leave it and move on.

Seems like an awful lot of fuss about nothing to me.
    So clever my foot fell off.

It's totally up to you how you spend your time. But, if it were me, I would try to forget about it and move on.

Blog Entries
    In these difficult times you have to cut traders a little slack (even though some are taking advantage) and accept you will not always get what you want, at the price you want and when you want it. The main thing is that you are not out of pocket and you are free to tick your displeasure by choosing not to buy from them again if that is your wish.
    You are right to be irritated to a degree but shrugging and moving on, immediately removes a piece of angst from your life.
    Have a good and irrit-free weekend!

Sorry Op, I’d agree with the consensus here. Would you send the watch if you mistakenly listed a Rolex for sale at a price described as ‘crazy cheap’?

I also think your point around it no longer being listed is correct by the company as it’s not listed at the previous incorrect price, but now at the accepted value.

Businesses have been through some significant turmoil over the last 12 months, and a small mistake in the wording of a cancellation email doesn’t seem like the appropriate trigger for a online crusade of sorts to obtain some sort of validation that you’re so eager to find. You asked for opinions and most are in the same place; let it go and move on.

It seems prudent to follow the consensus.

Deep breaths, chalk it up to experience, move on.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Legally there is nothing to be done.

Dirty protest?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Legally there is nothing to be done.

Dirty protest?
    Like, do they have a letter box?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    OP - you're going to have a medical mishap if you encounter any real villains when trading.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Legally it’s called the right to treat. They don’t have to sell you anything, even if they don’t like the look of you.

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Legally it’s called the right to treat. They don’t have to sell you anything, even if they don’t like the look of you.
    No, it’s called an invitation to treat.

Perhaps slightly annoying for you OP but should be no more.
    You state you guessed it was an error and expected an email saying this.
    The email advising this arrived slightly later than your expectation.
    They apologised.
    They said there was a system error and the product you were looking for was no longer listed (and at that price it was not) - does not sound too remote from what you may have been expecting to me.
    I suspect the refund as ‘per your request’ is purely a manual or automated mechanism to cleanly refund you for Paypal purposes.
    I wonder if you are more upset that you did not receive the item for the crazy cheap price than you are admitting.

You have asked for opinions in your thread title – this is mine

I think you need to find out where the CEO/Managing Director lives, march round there this afternoon - and challenge him to a duel.

or

Sit down, and reflect: What was I thinking?!?!?!?!

Yes, do some research, is he married, where do his children go to school etc?