closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any pot plant experts on the site? Orchid guidance sought

Master

Any pot plant experts on the site? Orchid guidance sought

Hi... SWMBO has two orchids, both gifted to her over the years by a dear late friend. I don't think they are rare or valuable but they are cherished and are starting to suffer so I would be grateful for helpful advice on treating them - the last thing I want to do is kill them by hamfisted intervention. To the untrained eye (and I know the square root of bugger all about horticulture) they both appear to be the same species of plant but the right hand side has white flowers and the plant on the left has yellow flowers.

The plant on the right is a little over 5 years old and the one on the left between 2 and 3 years old. Both plants have always been kept on this window sill and apart from a little water on a weekly basis, have not been treated with any chemicals.

The plant on the right has not flowered for two years. The base of the plant seems healthy enough with the leaves being a lovely bright green. The stem (if that's the right word for it?) seems to have turned 'woody' at the tip. Should I cut this bit off?

The plant on the left has been in flower for a few months now and seems very healthy except that one stem seems to have died off and turned soft, almost hollow, to the touch. Again, should I be cutting this off?

Both plants seems to have a lot of 'suckers' (I hope you know what I am trying to say, here) sprouting around the base and I wonder if this is normal, or again should I be cutting them away?

As always, grateful in advance for any advice from the knowledgeable.

Rob

Transparent or opaque pots that let light in are best for Orchids. In their natural habitat the roots are often exposed. They love light.
    Not.too much water either. There's a fine balance you have to find.

Interested in this thread. Moved into a new house and had about 5 or 6 orchid plants placed in different rooms. All have died (leaves discoloured and dropped off) and we can't work out what happened.

Was wandering through ASDA this morning, and noticed that they sell potting compost/material specifically for orchids.

For all that might cost - could be worth taking a punt? Not sure who the maker was, but an Amazon search would cough up some options?

I like orchids. I am not an expert at all but care for a few pots, the oldest is almost 20 years old.

1) the "suckers are roots. Don't cut them.
    2) the orchids you have are epiphytic I believe. This means that they feed on water, air and whatever else they find on the support they have
    3) transparent pots are a good idea
    4) temperature a exposition to light are important but vary between varieties
    5) I give mine a soak once a week in the sink so that the bark chips retain moisture, that is usually enough
    6) dusting the leaves is good for them, too
    7) dried stems can be cut off, but not when they are still green
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I like orchids. I am not an expert at all but care for a few pots, the oldest is almost 20 years old.

1) the "suckers are roots. Don't cut them.
    2) the orchids you have are epiphytic I believe. This means that they feed on water, air and whatever else they find on the support they have
    3) transparent pots are a good idea
    4) temperature a exposition to light are important but vary between varieties
    5) I give mine a soak once a week in the sink so that the bark chips retain moisture, that is usually enough
    6) dusting the leaves is good for them, too
    7) dried stems can be cut off, but not when they are still green
    100% agree with the above I have three Orchids “ on the go”
    Firstly google orchid pots on the bay and get clear well drained pots so the roots can see the sun and do their thing.
    Second avoid shallow watering eg dripping water on them, dunk them every two weeks as st just says above.
    Thirdly spray their leaves with a simple quid type water sprayer , avoid the flowers just the leaves. If they are dusty then clearly clean em first.

Then sit back an enjoy the passion that is Orchid care , and this is coming from me that doesnt know a weed from a wisteria!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Was wandering through ASDA this morning, and noticed that they sell potting compost/material specifically for orchids.

For all that might cost - could be worth taking a punt? Not sure who the maker was, but an Amazon search would cough up some options?
    Blackal in the wild Orchids cling to rocks so all their roots are exposed like legs. Orchid compost is only a superstructure, it offers little or no nutrition. I changed my orchid compost last year on mine and it was just like little bits of wood chip. The compost is just a skeleton for the roots. As said above the BEST way to get Orchids flowering is clear or transparent pots. The supermarkets sell them like that , then we put them in ceramic pots negating all the sun which they crave.

Problem with transparent plastic pots is they are very light and plants easily topple over. Glass much better (and better light transmission) if good size can be found.
    Specific orchid fertiliser is sold and might be worth trying.
    Certainly leave any flower stems that are still green. Sometimes a new plant (leaves and roots) can form on this.

Commonplace nowadays but good value compared to bunch of flowers which are dead after week and even with abuse they usually flower again eventually.

Journeyman
    not too bright conditions,(not a south window) they like rain water and also trim the stem to just above a new growth point, and it will flower again.
    A lot of the Phalenopsis Orchids tend to flower them selves to death over 3-5 years , after that replace
    Specific orchid compost is good too

Master
    Overwatering kills them. Soak the roots and empty the pot. They thrive on neglect. I wouldn't cut anything off, especially the air-roots.

Master
    Yeah you don't water them Just periodically soak them in a bowl and let them drain. They also seem to like a particular location based on light, heat and drafts and will thrive there but if you move them somewhere they don't like will die.

Craftsman
    Yes moving is a killer.

We moved from Oxford to Scotland with abou 10. The climate was too different and they all died from the move within a few months.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Blackal in the wild Orchids cling to rocks so all their roots are exposed like legs. Orchid compost is only a superstructure, it offers little or no nutrition. I changed my orchid compost last year on mine and it was just like little bits of wood chip. The compost is just a skeleton for the roots. As said above the BEST way to get Orchids flowering is clear or transparent pots. The supermarkets sell them like that , then we put them in ceramic pots negating all the sun which they crave.
    TBH - I barely cast it a glance, so not sure what was in the bag. From what you are saying - growing/keeping them has very specific requirements. Didn't realise that the roots required sunlight - that sets them apart from anything I have every grown!

Cheers

Master
    Blackal loads of vids on you tube. You only need to watch 1 to understand them. They are a bit high maintenance to start with. Bit like an old airhead, but like an 1100 they will carry on for years, long after a conventional flower has died off.

Blog Entries
    I'll have to consult my Oracle - SHMBO - who is as expert on Orchid management to be certain. But from what little I have gleaned, water (bi-monthly dunking and then free-drain), temperature and light (I believe they prefer indirect light or shade not direct sun) are important variables to keep them well. Some orchids require very cold temps to get them to flower - our boiler broke down in December and has not been replaced (long story) - subsequently quite a few Orchids are thriving! There are different classes of Orchid - looks like yours are Phalaenopsis

This could help?

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=388

and

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=333

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 22nd March 2021 at 00:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I'll have to consult my Oracle - SHMBO - who is as expert on Orchid management to be certain. But from what little I have gleaned, water (bi-monthly dunking and then free-drain), temperature and light (I believe they prefer indirect light or shade not direct sun) are important variables to keep them well. Some orchids require very cold temps to get them to flower - our boiler broke down in December and has not been replaced (long story) - subsequently quite a few Orchids are thriving! There are different classes of Orchid - looks like yours are Phalaenopsis

This could help?

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=388

and

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=333

Martyn

You are right about cold temperatures Martyn, we were given a Dendrobium Orchid as a farewell gift from Neighbours in Oct 19. It was flowering when we received it. Then all the floweres fell off and for 12 months it just grew into a big green leafy stick.

A bit of googling revealed you have to kid it into thinking its winter. So a cool place and no watering. The stalks all started to shrivel, the leaves drooped and then about 20 small buds appeared. Resume watering in a warm room and three months of glorious white flowers!

I would never have guessed it and had I not googled it , the orchid would have ended up in the the recycling.

Steve