closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Three phase to single phase conversion

Master

Three phase to single phase conversion

I've been after a pillar or bench drill for a while and there is a Meddings locally that looks really nice at a reasonable price. However it's a three phase. What's the best way to convert it, a single phase to three phase VFD or swap the motor?

Thanks.

Craftsman
    I would swap the motor but try to get one that runs at a similar speed or you will need to change the motor pulley to retain the same drill speeds. The mounting brackets tend to be slotted and are fairly standard but make sure it will fit.

I have a VFD on my disc sander. The electronic speed control and reverse is really nice. OTOH it is not dust sealed so I had to put it in an enclosure so the metal dust doesn't kill it. On the parker VFD I have you can detach the controls and run them outside the enclosure vey easily.

What size output shaft do you need to fit the drill ? What power output do you need? Can you get a single phase motor that has the right shaft, power and the mounting points to be a straight swap or will you need an adapter at a reasonable price https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meddings-...-/120948820343 ouch, not cheap and if you only need 1/2hp then VFDs are not too expensive.

Are you able to wire up a VFD yourself or do you need to get someone in? I didn't find it particularly tricky to wire the vfd to the motor after careful consultation of the instructions but you've got to know your own level of competence and take a lot of care when you are messing with mains electric.

The easiest way is to convert your single phase to three phase, however whether you convert the drill or get a phase convertor it ain't going to be cheap!

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/phase-converters/

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    The easiest way is to convert your single phase to three phase, however whether you convert the drill or get a phase convertor it ain't going to be cheap!

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/phase-converters/
    Unless you need to go up to 380V that would be a very expensive way to do it...

In the UK 3 phase is 400v.

I take it the OP means single phase to Three phase conversion, other wise it is a straight forward transformer across two of the phases.

Single to three is more complicated and expensive especially to run a motor, it will probably be cheaper to buy a new machine https://www.simplypowersupply.com/Si...y/default.aspx

Also if the machine has reverse by switching the phases, and you need this feature, a conversion will be painful.
    Last edited by adrianw; 18th March 2021 at 13:01.

In the UK 3 phase is 400v.
    So?

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I take it the OP means single phase to Three phase conversion, other wise it is a straight forward transformer across two of the phases.

Single to three is more complicated and expensive especially to run a motor, it will probably be cheaper to buy a new machine https://www.simplypowersupply.com/Si...y/default.aspx

Also if the machine has reverse by switching the phases, and you need this feature, a conversion will be painful.
    Except that a 240V single to 240V three phase VFD is relatively cheap, provides reverse at the touch of a button, as well as speed control? Why would he use a rotary converter?

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    So?
    I was wondering why you mentioned 380v when it's not a consideration in the UK?

I was wondering why you mentioned 380v when it's not a consideration in the UK?
    Because I have installed VFDs on my own equipment on both sides of the Atlantic and wrongly assumed anyone with experience of 3-phase motors knows the 220/240, 380/400 markings.

So, rather than quibbling about trivia will you explain why you would use a step-up converter?

Except that a 240V single to 240V three phase VFD is relatively cheap, provides reverse at the touch of a button, as well as speed control? Why would he use a rotary converter?
    Surely the VFD replaces the machine controls, if that is acceptable then fine.

Because I have installed VFDs on my own equipment on both sides of the Atlantic and wrongly assumed anyone with experience of 3-phase motors knows the 220/240, 380/400 markings.

So, rather than quibbling about trivia will you explain why you would use a step-up converter?
    I don't believe I'm the one quibbling about trivia! You posed a rather curt question, I politely answered it.

I'd use a step up convertor because it's the simplest option, still not particularly cheap but for a single pillar drill it will work.

Indeed. IIRC some machine conversions bypass the belt pulleys/gearbox entirely, and drive the main spindle directly from the motor, or leave the belt in one position. Sometimes you might prefer having a belt that will slip if the work jams.

Lot of great videos on VFD conversions on youtube and descriptions at practical machinist and so on. e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5GF...%26DIndustrial

If the OP did need to step up to 380-415V for the machine then it's going to be much more expensive than 240 1ph to 240 3ph.

I don't believe I'm the one quibbling about trivia! You posed a rather curt question, I politely answered it.

I'd use a step up convertor because it's the simplest option, still not particularly cheap but for a single pillar drill it will work.
    You may not believe it is a trivial detail Duncan but it is nonetheless, and it seemed to me serving as a diversion from the main point (why use a more expensive and unnecessary step up device?).

Phase converters whether static or rotary are simple but also relatively expensive and limited vs a VFD. There are some situations where they're the only option.

Have you used or installed a VFD? Much of the information on conversions is to be found on US sites posted by yankee doodle gringos. If you ever do need one you may find it helpful to remember when Americans say 380V it will be 400-415V here and we also use ~50hz rather than their 60hz if you are looking at motor speeds. :)
    Last edited by ernestrome; 18th March 2021 at 14:09.

Blog Entries
    Just use an Inverter to run the 3 phase motor. They're pretty simple to set up, there are people who will send them pre wired for you, so you just have 3 wires to connect on the motor. Also you can use them to have infinitely variable speed. I have two belt grinders both running 3phase motors through inverters.

If you need one pre-wired this guy on Fleabay is reasonable with prices and a nice guy to deal with. He'll need the motor details probably, normally on a plate on the motor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/bobbygscooters?ul_noapp=true

My two.....

Better view of the inverters...

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.