closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Painting Kitchen Units

Craftsman

Painting Kitchen Units

The OH is considering a kitchen upgrade. There is very little wrong with the design or the carcasses, other than the odd scuff mark on a door.
    Just wondering if anyone has had their units professionally painted and could share their experiences please, good bad or indifferent

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

I did mine myself. Stripped off the veneer with a heat gun, bit of sanding, put some primer on the mdf then finished with some Farrow & Ball (what what) interior matt paint. It was pretty easy to be honest.

Master
    Blog Entries
    At our last house we had our pine cabinets lightly sanded and hand painted by our decorator - they looked very good and saved an awful lot of expense (we eventually had a new kitchen eight years later)

Craftsman
    I painted my own pine kitchen units using Annie Sloane Chalk Paint - there’s no need for sanding down just clean first with sugar soap solution and use a good brush. I think I did two coats and finished with some not varnish for extra strength on the finish.

I also added new door and drawer handles to give a whole fresh new look as well as new flooring.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    The OH is considering a kitchen upgrade. There is very little wrong with the design or the carcasses, other than the odd scuff mark on a door.
    Just wondering if anyone has had their units professionally painted and could share their experiences please, good bad or indifferent

The other half doesn't like the colour of our island so having someone come out later this month to take away all doors and drawer fronts to be sprayed and then will return the following day to spray the carcasses. Seeing as it's the people who designed/built/installed the kitchen, the finish should be flawless.

We’ve a hardwood hand cut kitchen in our period property so it lends itself to being painted rather than replaced.
    Provided a professional carries out the work and the prep is good, the results are excellent. We’ve had ours done in the last 18 months and it looked great when completed and has worn well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'd argue against a "professional" being essential. I bought a bespoke painted oak kitchen. When I went to the factory to see how they make them, they spray painted them but then a bloke with an old paintbrush gave them a stroke whilst the paint was wet to add the "hand painted" look.

Dulux do a Diamond Matt (tough as old boots) paint. Get your local paint merchant to mix some up in a Follow my Balls colour, prep the doors with sugar soap and paint them yourself. They will look like a £90k Smallbone in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I'd argue against a "professional" being essential.
    Guess it depends on the finish you're after. Our kitchen is 5 years old and there's no brush strokes and is completely smooth to the touch, we want this replicated, hence having it sprayed again in a different colour.

Friends of ours have a Smallbone and can't say that it's any better quality than ours from Heaven and Stubbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    ...I think I did two coats and finished with some not varnish for extra strength on the finish...
    Don't you mean yot varnish?
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Don't you mean yot varnish?
    Yes, Yacht Varnish! Annoying predictive text!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I'd argue against a "professional" being essential. I bought a bespoke painted oak kitchen. When I went to the factory to see how they make them, they spray painted them but then a bloke with an old paintbrush gave them a stroke whilst the paint was wet to add the "hand painted" look.

Dulux do a Diamond Matt (tough as old boots) paint. Get your local paint merchant to mix some up in a Follow my Balls colour, prep the doors with sugar soap and paint them yourself. They will look like a £90k Smallbone in no time.
    I paint kitchens as a profession and this advice is of course utter, utter bollocks ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    I paint kitchens as a profession and this advice is of course utter, utter bollocks ;)
    Out of curiosity do you spray or brush paint the doors

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Out of curiosity do you spray or brush paint the doors

Any, just depends on what the customer wants although I’m not a fan of spray finish

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Any, just depends on what the customer wants although I’m not a fan of spray finish
    Many thanks. I think I'll stick with a professional to keep the OH happy. I don't have that much confidence in my painting ability

Blog Entries
    Good choice but some of the worst painted kitchens I’ve seen have been done by ‘professionals’ so be careful who you chose 👍🏻

Journeyman
    Get some Helmi 10 from Tikkurila and give if a go yourself with a decent synthetic brush or use a good roller then lay off with a brush. I’ve done this and the finish is superb.