closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kuoe “Old Smith”

Apprentice

Kuoe “Old Smith”

Has anyone had any experience of the kuoe old smith? Looks like a bit of a rip off of a PRS29A to me. Even called an “old smith” ffs.

https://www.kuoe-en.com/product-page...l?currency=GBP
    Last edited by joebloggs; 17th March 2021 at 14:18.

Master
    No experience but I like its unique feature "Domed mineral grass."

Apprentice
    Yes pretty good that - a watch and a nature haven

Craftsman
    They have white dial and a green dial variant. Looks like Eddie was ahead of the curve. They look ok for the price.

thx for the link. Seems quite nice and also has an automatic instead of handwound. That was the thing i miss on the prs-29. If i stay unlucky in scoring a expedition next time the shop opens this could be a serious think about alternative.

I have one and love it

A few pics on my Instagram @kevg1962

I know someone who has bought one and I have seen pics & video of it - it looks really good for the money and he's very happy with it.

Hard to go wrong with a Seiko automatic movement.

Packaging is unimportant really, but it was of nice quality.

It also came with three straps & quick-release spring bars, which are good to have.

They haven't yet been stung for any additional import duty or tax to the UK, and given the watch arrived with them a few days ago, I doubt they will be now.

and how is lume on these kuoe's? Saw a review on You tube saying lume is a disappointment!

I do like that texturing on the dial and the quick-release spring bars are a nice touch.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    No experience but I like its unique feature "Domed mineral grass."
    Can you smoke the crystal?

Journeyman
    It looks a bit cheaply made to me, I feel harsh saying this. Good price though and I agree that the movement is great. The cream dial is the best looking in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowsfoot View Post
    It looks a bit cheaply made to me...
    100% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy9999 View Post
    100% agree.
    It's a lovely piece. Well made and a great price. Lovely case and dial. Even the strap is good.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    It looks pretty good to me, and good for the price as well. I have been considering getting one. I think it is distinct enough from any of Eddie's offerings (although the 29a is the closest, and the Old Smith name can't be too much of a coincidence). I like the look of the applied numbers and the very orange patina.

Journeyman
    New review of this on Watchspec YouTube channel

https://youtu.be/NUyKLolwflY

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crowsfoot View Post
    It looks a bit cheaply made to me, I feel harsh saying this. Good price though and I agree that the movement is great. The cream dial is the best looking in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I agree, the print on the dial looks pretty bad

Craftsman
    Not a fan to be honest, it's a nice size at 35mm but that date window doesn't help, personally I think it ruins the dial layout especially as watch is on the small size.

The NH35 movement is a good cheap all-rounder for but the money they are asking, I'm sure you would be able to pick up a used CWC W10 on ebay for something similar price wise.

Craftsman
    Nice enough looking vintage field watch style but personally i prefer my Timefactors Smiths Everest Expedition . Even though Mr Platts watches are somewhat difficult to buy at times for me his watches of this style type look much nicer. I also think that 35mm is too small(and i am a little old man!).

Would I buy it? No. But I really appreciate they exist and like the thinking behind the idea. I also like it that it is happening in Japan rather than anywhere else. And the movement is filling the case nicely.

Master
    They appear to be on a promotion (free strap). To my surprise, I was marketed one on FB.

The dial finish is interesting, imho. I like the way what has been applied to it is 'raised':

The various 'upgrades' available appear to be an important part of their appeal.

The photographs of the watch on the website are high-quality and similar to those in Japanese watch books and magazines that I've seen.