closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Handheld GPS

Master

Handheld GPS

I’m looking to buy a GPS and it’s a minefield!
    This will be used for hiking which I’ve recently got into and will be my first unit.
    I’ve read lots of reviews and watched countless videos with pros and cons for all types.
    I think I’ve narrowed it down to the Garmin 66i with 250k pro map. These are circa £800 so wanted to ask if anyone has experience with this unit or indeed would recommend something else.
    I know it’s going to be down to personal choice but I’d like to hear from owners or suggestions for another unit which is easy to use.
    Thanks!

A lot will depend on how you want to use it really. I prefer to use a map with an old Etrex kept in my day sack in case the clag comes in and I end up lost and disorientated. I haven’t come across a gps with a large enough screen to be able to use it to navigate like a map.
    I have had some fun putting points into my gps and going to them just to make sure I know how to use my gps in an emergency.
    I wonder if the £800 might be better spent on a few map reading lessons and a cheaper gps unit so that you are more confident on the hill and probably rely less on the gps?
    The above is only how I think and may well not fit your purpose?
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    I’m looking to buy a GPS and it’s a minefield!
    This will be used for hiking which I’ve recently got into and will be my first unit.
    I’ve read lots of reviews and watched countless videos with pros and cons for all types.
    I think I’ve narrowed it down to the Garmin 66i with 250k pro map. These are circa £800 so wanted to ask if anyone has experience with this unit or indeed would recommend something else.
    I know it’s going to be down to personal choice but I’d like to hear from owners or suggestions for another unit which is easy to use.
    Thanks!
    If you want top of the range and money is no object, 66i is excellent. But it's oriented towards countries where distances and infrastructure (or lack thereof) justify using inReach and Iridium, which require a satellite subscription worth a substantial amount of money every year. If you are not going to use this facility you are buying a Range Rover for a suburban school run.
    For a quarter of the price, an e-trex 32x will probably do most of what you want it to do in this country.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Have a look at the SatMap offerings. Note that there is an offer on the website for 20% off. I had one of these (the original version) some years ago that was, unfortunately, stolen. It was superb. Not the cheapest option but with 1:25,000 maps available they really are excellent.

My serious hill-walking days (predominantly when I lived in Scotland in the 90s) are over but I'd echo Saint-Just's point to practice, practice and practice again your use of map and compass but also practice using whatever GPS you purchase. If you're in a situation where you have to rely on it you must be able to use it confidently.

Master
    I use the humble Garmin eTrex for this - you can upload routes to it, the maps are decently detailed and legible and it will even give you turn-by-turn directions if you want. Quick to get a fix from the satellites and lasts a long time on a pair of AAs.

Mine is an eTrex 20x, probably discontinued now but I'm sure the more modern versions are even better.

Master
    Thanks for all the info and suggestions so far, it’s much appreciated.
    Yes, I’m looking at map and compass reading at the moment, unfortunately I have no sense of direction and a basic understanding so far of the skills required to aid me.
    I’ll not be far off the beaten track for now and I’ve found some useful websites and forums with plotted routes which I’ve been happy to use.
    Moving forward I’d like to go further afield, better map reading skills and a GPS would give me the confidence to do that.
    I’ll look into the other units and compare.

Master
    I use a wrist mounted Garmin and use OS maps subscription for planning walks and if needed I can download them to my phone when I am out and about as I have it with me anyway. I find this much easier than carrying a handheld unit with a screen too.

This I probably good for learning how to read a map as it OS mapping, it’s the best £25 for a year I spend.
    Last edited by StuS; 16th March 2021 at 21:00.

Craftsman
    I also use OS maps app on my phone. Very useful to plot / upload routes which I can then also upload onto garmin forerunner watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I downloaded the OS app the other day, that’s good to hear and I’ll look into this option.
    This is all new to me!

Using your phone to plot your route is great as you can do that from the comfort of your home. But a phone on its own isn't enough as using its GPS will drain its battery.

Grand Master
    A simple but vital fact if using a phone: remote rural areas often gave poor coverage so relying on a phone is a bad idea.

Learn to use a map and silva compass, and always carry a map of the area, even if its a photocopy or printout. Relying totally on an electronic gadget is flawed. I would buy a cheaper GPS and use it as back up, a map and the basic ability to use it is essential if you’re going off the beaten track.

Maps need to be up to date and big enough scale, I managed to get myself lost by using a 1 inch map that was 35 years out of date, a large quarry had been built in the area and paths re- routed. I ended up having to make rapid progress in fading daylight, not an ideal situation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A simple but vital fact if using a phone: remote rural areas often gave poor coverage so relying on a phone is a bad idea.

Learn to use a map and silva compass, and always carry a map of the area, even if its a photocopy or printout. Relying totally on an electronic gadget is flawed. I would buy a cheaper GPS and use it as back up, a map and the basic ability to use it is essential if you’re going off the beaten track.

Maps need to be up to date and big enough scale, I managed to get myself lost by using a 1 inch map that was 35 years out of date, a large quarry had been built in the area and paths re- routed. I ended up having to make rapid progress in fading daylight, not an ideal situation.
    I agree with that having a map and being able to use it is an invaluable skill but OS maps subscription gives you nationwide mapping at 1.25000 so you can download the map for use on your phone and at the press of a button the gps, which isn’t dependent on phone signal, will pinpoint where you are.

It can also be used on your computer/iPad for planning. It’s a great piece of software for the cost of less than two maps.

There’s a weeks trial and I’d recommended giving it a go, once we can actually go somewhere.

Craftsman
    Totally agree with what people have said about the necessity of a paper map and compass and ability to use it when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I've got a Garmin GPSMAP78 and use it for all sorts with free maps for sailing from OpenSea and for walking from TalkyToaster ..

https://shop.talkytoaster.me.uk/maps...-isles-ireland

If you buy a paper OS map nowadays, you get a code to download the same map free into the OS app which works well.

For walking routes, ViewRanger is good.

Master
    Some great info guys.
    I agree that a map and compass with the ability to read is vital.
    I’ve downloaded the OS map subscription and feeling my way around, it looks to be very good.
    I’m going to learn how to actually read a map along plotted routes so I can get used to that first. I think I was a bit ambitious jumping into a GPS unit without having an understanding of contours and map keys.
    I’ll be practicing on known routes first to get used to it all.
    Thanks again, I’ve saved £800 (for now!)

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    But a phone on its own isn't enough as using its GPS will drain its battery.
    Take a spare battery/powerpack then. It will certainly be cheaper than £800!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Take a spare battery/powerpack then. It will certainly be cheaper than £800!
    This.
    iPhone and power pack does the job.

No pith helmet or safari jacket needed! 😂😂
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    +1 for Satmap. Top gear for the enthusiast.

I disagree with the option of phone only. An e-trex is not expensive and a good security if you’re going to hike regularly.
    I also agree with the map+compass back up but remember it only really works if you can tell where you are when you open the map, so with clear landmarks or use it from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The phone doesn't need signal btw. You can download the maps offline and then the only signal you need is GPS, nothing to do with O2/EE etc.

OS Maps on phone works fine for me.

Have Garmin 6 watch as backup, not that I've ever needed it.

Master
    I’ve downloaded ViewRanger along with OS maps. I’ve found that the VR app is very good and easy to use so far.
    Maybe all I really need now is a Garmin or similar watch. I had ruled them out before but it would be easier to look at the watch than take my phone out all the time (which has already been said).
    Thanks for all the info so far, I’m open to GPS watches now if I could have some suggestions from owners.
    Thanks!

Master
    I have a garmin fenix 5 but it’s overkill. I would buy the garmin instinct now and probably will when this stops working but it’s going strong after 4 years and is now used daily to track my walks rather than to navigate.

I’ve a Fenix 6 and also use to record tracks. Excellent watch but not sure much good for navigation, the map is just too small.

Master
    Thanks for the replies, always good to hear from owners rather than online reviews.
    Maybe go back to looking at handheld units again!

Handheld GPS

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    I’ve downloaded ViewRanger along with OS maps. I’ve found that the VR app is very good and easy to use so far.
    Maybe all I really need now is a Garmin or similar watch. I had ruled them out before but it would be easier to look at the watch than take my phone out all the time (which has already been said).
    Thanks for all the info so far, I’m open to GPS watches now if I could have some suggestions from owners.
    Thanks!
    I’ve read reports that OS maps in ViewRanger are less up to date than those in the OS app. Also, ViewRanger is being replaced with Outdooractive and may well be phased out.

Thomas Reid
    Although I have a Garmin handheld (old Oregon, I think), I too use my phone. Mostly because the screen is bigger and has a much higher resolution than the handheld. If I'm out and about, I always have a spare battery with me, conveniently housed in a small external battery charger for my phone. If I'm walking, I also take a power bank. This allows me to charge the battery I'm not using. So, even with a small power bank, I could go through 4-5 battery cycles with little inconvenience. Again, if walking, I also take a map and compass.

I've used the OSMAnd app for years and years.

Best wishes,
    Bob