closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Too many? Consolidate? Or just leave it?

Too many? Consolidate? Or just leave it?

It’s another of those threads. I’ve been thinking about this for a good while now.

I have a core collection of what I consider good watches. They are

Rolex OP36 - silver dial
    Rolex Sub 14060m
    Navitimer World GMT
    Speedmaster Moonwatch Pro
    Omega Seamaster 2254
    Breitling Aerospace Titanium

All these share a week at a time on the wrist atm. With the exception of the Aerospace which is holidays only really.

Then I have a bunch of smaller value watches that rarely get worn. Yet I look at them and always see why I bought them. Although their wrist time is almost none.

These include:-
    CWC SBS Diver
    Issued CWC G10
    Seiko SPB077
    Seiko Prospex Blue Lagoon Turtle
    1970s Omega Geneve gold plated

Now my thoughts. I am seriously thinking 3 watches and maybe a holiday watch.
    There are a couple of ideas on forming this now first to say is that the OP36 will not be leaving no matter what.

So thought one is
    OP36
    Sub 14060m

Sell the rest and look for as high a quality piece as I could... thinking of some form of Annual Calendar maybe JLC and if possible keep the 2254 as the holiday watch.

Option two
    OP36

Sell the rest and replace with a Diver and another piece. Maybe looking at a BP50 Fathoms plus another maybe a GMT or a dressier piece.

Really wanting suggestions and ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Nice dilemma.

Why not keep the OP36 and the 2254 and then go all in on the proceeds of the rest on one watch?

I’m thinking Patek, as I know you’ve thought about it before :) something like a Calatrava 5296?

Blog Entries
    Hi.

Watch 1. You say the OP36 has to stay - so that is watch 1
    Watch 2. I would take Mike P advice and not sell the 14060M - that would be a mistake. It would also double as a holiday watch as it is low profile, hard as nails and waterproof.

Holiday watch - get a cheap Casio if you don’t want to wear your expensive watches on holiday.

Now for the brutal bit. Sell all the rest. Maybe that gives you £11K? Chuck in another £3K-£4K and consider what you want:

Dress watch
    Tool watch
    What complications

I think eventually you may want to buy / sell again - so consider getting something that could be traded at a later date?

BB FF 45mm second hand. Maybe a VC or AP ROO can be had in that budget. There have been some amazing piecws on SC recently. I am guessing there will be more.

Master
    For me consolidation was the best thing i did.

I had too many watches of which none of them had any sentimental value so selling them wasn't an issue.

I found the old problem of which one to wear in rotation along with the cost of insuring each one and service costs was silly for the small amount of time they were being worn.

I settled on one watch a Rolex 216570 because of all the watches i owned it was the most comfortable and i am happy to wear it all the time apart from a cheap work watch.

I ended up with a reasonable sum put away in my watch fund which i have not been tempted to spend although i am down on the list for the new Omega Snoopy if it ever arrives.

Which ones to keep or sell is a difficult choice but to answer your question...consolidate.

I remember a comment on this forum where someone said he had a surprising amount of money tied up in a number of fairly low value mundane watches that didn't get any wrist time. If they are not being worn and you have no emotional ties to them then I'd be inclined to get them sold and put the money towards a single piece.

I had a consolidation last year during the first lockdown, sold quite a few on SC and eBay and bought a new Seamaster with the proceeds. I don't miss any of them and wonder why I hadn't sold them sooner.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Went through a similar phase of consolidation (admittedly with less value on the table!) and I've not regretted it. I'd rather have a few watches I really see as 'mine' and wear regularly, and then maybe 1 or 2 that are in/out type pieces to try new stuff. Leaves me feeling more comfortable than having a box full of stuff I don't wear, but it's a personal thing of course.

Good luck with your consolidation. Take your time, it doesn't have to happen all at once. Maybe cut to 5 first then see where you're at.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Hi.

Watch 1. You say the OP36 has to stay - so that is watch 1
    Watch 2. I would take Mike P advice and not sell the 14060M - that would be a mistake. It would also double as a holiday watch as it is low profile, hard as nails and waterproof.

Holiday watch - get a cheap Casio if you don’t want to wear your expensive watches on holiday.

Now for the brutal bit. Sell all the rest. Maybe that gives you £11K? Chuck in another £3K-£4K and consider what you want:

Dress watch
    Tool watch
    What complications

I think eventually you may want to buy / sell again - so consider getting something that could be traded at a later date?

BB FF 45mm second hand. Maybe a VC or AP ROO can be had in that budget. There have been some amazing piecws on SC recently. I am guessing there will be more.

I think if the sub stays I’d stay away from another dive watch. So I’d be looking at some form of dressier watch.

One leading candidate is

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Jaeger+...EaAgVREALw_wcB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    I think if the sub stays I’d stay away from another dive watch. So I’d be looking at some form of dressier watch.

One leading candidate is

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Jaeger+...EaAgVREALw_wcB

maybe stick a £8K limit into watches.co.Uk or blowers watches (or watchfinder) it’ll give you an idea what’s available.

something left field to consider the JLC Geophysic - you could get this for £8k (send me a pm if its of interest). I owned it for a while and sold it back the reseller - you know how it is...

I just spotted this - looks exactly what you want - at a good price.

https://www.watches.co.uk/jaeger-lec...er=%26fd5%3D31

i may need to grab it for myself!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th March 2021 at 23:28.

That’s awesome Martin!
    Will look into that one a bit more. I’d certainly be able to raise 8k from the consolidation so that would rule both into the options

Own less, appreciate more!

Consolidated my watches of late.

1 would be perfect
    2 would be logical
    3 is ideal.

Master
    Mark, if you take Martyns 1 & 2 & sell the rest you could go for the likes of the LV & rose gold breguet from SC?

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Mark, if you take Martyns 1 & 2 & sell the rest you could go for the likes of the LV & rose gold breguet from SC?
    That RoSe Gold Breguet! Omg! Thankfully it’s gone I believe!?

I’d probably go for the three you’ve stated and buy a cheap holiday watch. How often would you wear a dressier watch?

Alternatively, is there a watch that you’ve always wanted. If so, use the consolidated funds to just do it.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’d probably go for the three you’ve stated and buy a cheap holiday watch. How often would you wear a dressier watch?

Alternatively, is there a watch that you’ve always wanted. If so, use the consolidated funds to just do it.

The 3?
    The Op36
    The Sub
    And?

That JLC... wow

If it was me and the OP36 was staying no matter what I'd also keep the 14060M and either the SPB or Turtle as a holiday watch, then consolidate into something else with the change. You might even consider a decent G-Shock as a holiday watch.

Either way I would scrap the majority and keep both Rolex. Too many in the box for my tastes and quite a large servicing obligation.

The 3?
    The Op36
    The Sub
    And?

That JLC... wow

Sorry, the 2254
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I would start by selling the 5 you don’t wear and see what that raises in terms of funds. The Sub and 2254 are fairly similar as are the Speedmaster and Navitimer in some ways so I would probably pick one from each group you prefer and then sell the other. Aerospace could also then be sold if you needed to/wanted to add more funds.

Agree with the choice of a JLC Annual Calendar though and a good excuse for a pic:

18D13F18-2C03-40B2-A4CC-96AD97611644 by Matt G, on Flickr

If this helps.

Frederique Constant males the least expensive Perpetual calendar on the market at about $9000US probably half the price of the JLC

Can keep the OP36, Sub and speedmaster and have an extra $10 thou leftover

DON

Too many? Consolidate? Or just leave it?

Is there a higher end watch that you really want? Maybe I would start with a clear haute horology goal before consolidating. I don’t really want to consolidate myself, but for better or worse, there is nothing in the higher brands that appeals enough to drive me to do so.

I would absolutely NOT sell the 14060, and the 2254 would be increasingly hard to replace at reasonable cost so I would keep that. It sounds if the Breitlings and Omega could go. Of the cheaper stuff, you could keep one as a holiday watch. I would keep the CWC, but you could sell all if you have a new holiday watch in mind.

I have a similar core collection to you and may add 1 or 2 more in the next 2-3 years. My cheap box has about 10 in, depending how I count them, and although I might have 2-3 out to balance an incoming, the value in that box isn’t going to diminish. I don’t wear them all that often, but then the collector in me likes my approach.

Maybe
    Decide on a expensive watch, and whether it is worth it to you

Choose a holiday watch and rationalise accordingly

Start by selling the Aerospace, it sounds your least worn

Take your time, I wouldn’t have a sudden massive change

Good luck

Dave

Don’t see the need to cull to 3 plus a holiday one personally. Your core ones you wear. The extra ones that are cheaper and don’t get worn you should sell.

Do you really want an expensive dress watch, or an expensive watch with complications?

How often would you wear it?

The concept of selling to provide a fund for one watch, that is more costly than any of the other watches that you would likely keep, of a style that you may end up not wearing on a regular basis seems a strange concept. Even more so if it ends up as an exercise in “what dressy or complicated watch can I buy for £x”.

Decide what styles you really like and wear on a regular basis. You already know that you are keeping the OP. You have also tended to wear the 2254 as your holiday watch. Two out of four sorted.

You could even keep it simple - by also keeping the Submariner and Speedmaster.

Sell the others if you really think you have too many. Set the money aside, then at some point if you really, really see something else that you can’t get out of your head, that you think you will wear regularly, it would be easy enough to sell from the Submariner, Speedmaster, 2254 to get what you really want as a considered purchase.

It sounds like you're at a point which is both envied and feared by the WIS community. After years of buying and selling you have built up a collection which covers every angle. You religiously rotate your watches so they all get an outing but you begin to realise more and more that strapping on 'the one' feels like home and it starts to feel the the other watches own you rather than you owning them.

You're so used to having a lot of choice that it seems logical to consolidate and have a '3 watch collection' and feel you still require different pieces to cover different situations. The money you make from selling the collection is exciting because you can now buy something that you've always admired but never seriously considered before.

But wait!! Can I suggest - sell everything except your OP.

It already fits every situation (and you can take it off if you're going swimming or rock climbing). It's stood the test of time quietly without the watch having to rely on being the newest, the most complicated, the most expensive. Like it or not, that watch has found you and now you are a combo. It's YOUR watch.

At least try owning just the OP for a while before doing anything rash with the money from the sales. You'll get more of a kick looking at the lump sum in the bank than you will by having it tied up in a watch that you feel you should wear to justify buying.

A dangerous thought, I know - and I've made some assumptions in the interest of making my point, but I see quite a few topics like this where it seems like the member has some option paralysis. I've been there too, not quite playing with the same values but once sold everything except one and had 6k in the bank and immediately looked at watches I could buy with 6k. Realised that if the watch being 6k was the main reason for buying it then it wasn't a wise purchase. Bought a car instead...

Try it. And most of all, take your time!

Keep the OP and the Sub, CWC G10 and the 70's Omega and then get a.....
    Gold Reverso

Aim for a three watch collection to cover dress-sport, casual, and holiday.

Keep the OP and the Sub.

Choose your holiday watch from either the 2254 or the Aerospace (or replace both with a quartz 2264, as I think quartz is probably better for a beater).

Sell the rest.

Don’t buy anything else as you don’t know what you really want.

Master
    I tried going to 3 a year ago and failed. You have over 10 so it would be pretty drastic to cull that amount.

I’d start reducing but take it slowly. Maybe sell 3 and then see how you feel. If though you feel that you want to buy something sooner rather than later, don’t sell the ones that you have doubts over - they will be the regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Is there a higher end watch that you really want? Maybe I would start with a clear haute horology goal before consolidating.
    I would absolutely NOT sell the 14060, and the 2254 would be increasingly hard to replace at reasonable cost so I would keep that. It sounds if the Breitlings and Omega could go. Of the cheaper stuff, you could keep one as a holiday watch. I would keep the CWC, but you could sell all if you have a new holiday watch in mind.

Maybe
    Decide on a expensive watch, and whether it is worth it to you
    Choose a holiday watch and rationalise accordingly
    Start by selling the Aerospace, it sounds your least worn
    Take your time, I wouldn’t have a sudden massive change

Good luck

Dave
    Thanks Dave some great thoughts raised there. There is no set higher end watch I am after. Just feel I would love to try one of the more dressier watches with complications. My current pick in the reasonable budget is the JLC annual calendar i posted a link to.
    It seems to be a common point not to sell the sub! And I’m more and more coming round to that being the diver in the collection.
    You raise a good point on 2254 and one Id not thought of. So maybe the 2254 becomes the holiday watch?

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Do you really want an expensive dress watch, or an expensive watch with complications?

How often would you wear it?

Decide what styles you really like and wear on a regular basis. You already know that you are keeping the OP. You have also tended to wear the 2254 as your holiday watch. Two out of four sorted.

You could even keep it simple - by also keeping the Submariner and Speedmaster.
    The 2254 is a great holiday watch so you may be right there. I certainly want to try an annual calendar complication, as for how much wear? Once things open up maybe 4-5 days a month?

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Keep the OP and the Sub, CWC G10 and the 70's Omega and then get a.....
    Gold Reverso
    Don’t!! Reverso is definitely high on my want to try list but I can’t make it fit into the small collection- I think I’d prefer a complication over the reverso atm. JUST!
    Interesting thought though on the 1970s Omega..

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I tried going to 3 a year ago and failed. You have over 10 so it would be pretty drastic to cull that amount.

I’d start reducing but take it slowly. Maybe sell 3 and then see how you feel. If though you feel that you want to buy something sooner rather than later, don’t sell the ones that you have doubts over - they will be the regrets.
    Devonian. You speak a lot of sense there! I guess though in reality it would be a slower process to cut them down. Problem is I always have doubts whenever I sell anything!!

Don’t!! Reverso is definitely high on my want to try list but I can’t make it fit into the small collection- I think I’d prefer a complication over the reverso atm. JUST!
    Interesting thought though on the 1970s Omega..

Seriously, flipping over a Reverso to another dial is all the complication you need. An annual calendar is great but unless you wear it every day or have it on a winder, it’s a bit of a pain to set on those special occasions when you where it. In your budget range would also be a JLC geophysic or a steel Vacheron. I’d be tempted by better quality than features.

Master
    I like option 2 but with a twist (although the most sensible method has already been mentioned: sell 3 at a time and see where you get to!)

So, option 2 with a twist:

Obviously keep the OP

Every collection needs a diver. If you love the sub keep it. If not the FF would be great IMO, and mixes it up nicely.

3rd watch a JLC with complications. These are massively appealing to me, and the annual calendar you linked looks fantastic. If only I had the funds! Other that that it looks like you like a chronograph so maybe keep one of the classics you have....or go for a zenith!

I would then also keep a holiday watch. The CWC diver or one of your Seiko is perfect for that. If not, how about a decent master of G ana-digi or MRG/MTG?

Craftsman
    Some Reverso's also have comlications...

I'd definitely keep the 14060M, along with the OP. Funds from selling the rest could go into a gorgeous JLC. Master Geographic has always been a favourite of mine, but the Master Calendars are very nice as well. Some discontinued models are lovely as well.

Master
    On the JLC front, have you looked at the Reserve de marche?

If you kept the OP, Sub and maybe the 2254, the reserve de marche would add some visual interest and complication. I like the blue version, which would offer some colour too.

Pic from time and tide watches: https://timeandtidewatches.com/jaege...marche-review/

A1ED3C74-A229-4F1D-A60A-B96B34A7024A by Berty234, on Flickr

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post

If you kept the OP, Sub and maybe the 2254, the reserve de marche would add some visual interest and complication. I like the blue version, which would offer some colour too.

Pic from time and tide watches: https://timeandtidewatches.com/jaege...marche-review/

That blue looks lovely :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post

Wow, that blue is lovely. I may have to look into that one more! You any idea on secondary prices on that?

Master
    Wow, that blue is lovely. I may have to look into that one more! You any idea on secondary prices on that?

I don’t think they come up often unfortunately. There are a couple of older models too though, but seems like it’s mostly the silver ones that appear on the common pre-owned sellers’ sites.

I wonder what discount you could get off a new one, 10-15%?

Rolex OP36 - silver dial - KEEP
    Rolex Sub 14060m - KEEP, or sell cheap to Kirky
    Navitimer World GMT - SELL
    Speedmaster Moonwatch Pro - KEEP, coolest watch ever
    Omega Seamaster 2254 - KEEP, also cool, and prices rising
    Breitling Aerospace Titanium - SELL cheap to Kirky

CWC SBS Diver - SELL
    Issued CWC G10 - SELL
    Seiko SPB077 - SELL
    Seiko Prospex Blue Lagoon Turtle - SELL, or give to the Daughter (newest vGTG member); kids love turtles
    1970s Omega Geneve gold plated - SELL to ‘tired’ Kirky at the next McrGTG (‘doing an Alec’)
    And don’t buy anything else! Happy to help mate.

Keep the following:

Rolex Sub 14060m
    Navitimer World GMT

Sell everything else!

It’s another of those threads. I’ve been thinking about this for a good while now.

I have a core collection of what I consider good watches. They are

Rolex OP36 - silver dial
    Rolex Sub 14060m
    Navitimer World GMT
    Omega Seamaster 2254
    Breitling Aerospace Titanium

All these share a week at a time on the wrist atm. With the exception of the Aerospace which is holidays only really.

Then I have a bunch of smaller value watches that rarely get worn. Yet I look at them and always see why I bought them. Although their wrist time is almost none.

CWC SBS Diver
    Issued CWC G10
    Seiko SPB077
    Seiko Prospex Blue Lagoon Turtle
    1970s Omega Geneve gold plated

Now my thoughts. I am seriously thinking 3 watches and maybe a holiday watch.
    There are a couple of ideas on forming this now first to say is that the OP36 will not be leaving no matter what.

So thought one is
    OP36
    Sub 14060m

Sell the rest and look for as high a quality piece as I could... thinking of some form of Annual Calendar maybe JLC and if possible keep the 2254 as the holiday watch.

Option two
    OP36

Sell the rest and replace with a Diver and another piece. Maybe looking at a BP50 Fathoms plus another maybe a GMT or a dressier piece.

Really wanting suggestions and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdeg View Post
    Keep the following:

Rolex Sub 14060m
    Navitimer World GMT

Sell everything else!
    I clearly stated in the opening post that the OP36 was a certainty to stay.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it’s remembering why you bought them in the first place. I have a small core collection of “nice” watches and a larger collection of lesser value watches that I don’t wear as often. These tend to be less considered purchases and are bought because I like how they look. I’m not much of a seller and sometimes it’s nice to wear a watch that you haven’t worn for a long time. Some of the watches would be difficult to replace if I did sell them. I have considered selling the less worn variants but I’m not sure having one other “nice” watch would be as good as having lots of choice!

I think that trying to maintained a ‘balanced’ collection is more trouble than it’s worth. As the collection inevitably evolves suddenly a watch that made sense previously doesn’t anymore and you realise you only bought it to fill a perceived gap- so you sell it and on and on it goes. Similarly, if you are actually resisting buying watches you want (like the reverso) based on this method then you end up a) not having the watches you like and b) having a kind of boring box ticking collection.

Get the reverso, get 14 sub dates, only collect swatches- get what you like and you’ll keep them!

I always find it difficult, or a bit counter-productive, to 'plan' my collection. I can't really pin down why I'm attracted to certain watches but not the others, even though they could be very similar.

So instead of proactively consolidate or expand my collection, I just wait until the next target appears and evaluate which current ones I'm willing to sell to fund that.

In the OP's case I'd wait until you know rather clearly which 'high value' watch you want, before selling any of your current ones, unless of course you've lost interest in them.

Best of luck!

Ok, so to resurrect this thread i’ve almost certainly decided part of what i want to do.
    I am going to look towards a two watch collection for my core collection so
    14060m
    speedie
    aerospace
    will leave me in some way and i will replace them with a higher value watch to go with the OP.
    I am going to take my time doing this as atm i am unsure what that piece would be. I have a wide ranging taste so i am open to suggestions on this..

Master
    Maybe one of those lovely full gold yachtmasters.

Blog Entries
    Ok, so to resurrect this thread i’ve almost certainly decided part of what i want to do.
    I am going to look towards a two watch collection for my core collection so
    14060m
    speedie
    aerospace
    will leave me in some way and i will replace them with a higher value watch to go with the OP.
    I am going to take my time doing this as atm i am unsure what that piece would be. I have a wide ranging taste so i am open to suggestions on this..

so your selling those?

2254 - £2K
    14060m - £12k?
    speedie - £3K
    aerospace - £1.5K

approx. £18.5K or spread of £16K - £19K

gives you a decent cash amount to buy something nice. Yeh. Take your time or maybe something really nice will turn up on SC that just grabs you.

Nice position to be in. If you add some cash maybe get a PP Calatrava- I have a soft spot for these.

Good luck. Martyn.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Shame to let go of the 14060M but it does free up a lot of budget.

£12k is ambitious I think - one went on SC earlier for £10.5k

I’d look to keep a diver 1406m as an everyday apart from work watch. The speedie I would keep as a good chrono so that would leave a gmt as something to add to the collection. A 1675 or 16710 which will give you a bit of vintage and a complication. Or an explorer 2 16570. Whatever you decide good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

There seems to be massive support to keep the 14060m. don’t get me wrong I love the watch but it’s a huge value part of my collection and would open up a whole load of new watches to try.
    But.. having worn it again today (it’s turn in my rotation. i do love it. and may regret it if i move it on!)

Craftsman
    I would keep the Sub. I sold my 16610 and regret it terribly.

I had a whole bunch of Subs over the years from 5513’s to pretty much every 5 digit reference, and ultimately let them go as I found them just a bit boring. Heresy I know but no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I had a whole bunch of Subs over the years from 5513’s to pretty much every 5 digit reference, and ultimately let them go as I found them just a bit boring. Heresy I know but no regrets.

If I wrote a list of which Rolex watches I was going to sell - 14060M first name on the list.

If I was the OP I would sell the 14060M. Buy a BB58. Decide what else I want, buy it, then if necessary sell other watches, as required.

Research JLC servicing costs before buying.